• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Use run frequently to chase him down and get behind him when you can. Use dodge invincibility for moments when his head tries to swipe you. Equip the firecracker to startle it every now and then for free hits. Surprisingly easy once you realise you're not limited by stamina anymore.
I've always been bad at using invincibility frames... I'm using the firecracker.
But tbh, it's only been 5 tries so far. I'll beat it. It's just a frustrating -type- of fight for me. I beat every other boss and miniboss quite easily so far, but this one is blah.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the many, many threads about this game of people complaining about it followed by people rushing in to very aggressively defend it. It will be so fun -_-
Of course, especially when most of the complaints stem from the game being "unfair" when most of the time it's people who can't acclimate to the mechanics.

Xthn

Aug 25, 2018
The frist you mention... The worst part is, it has so many phases and every phase has combos than can kill you REALLY fast.

Yeah, I mean Nameless King looks like a scrub compared to him. The way I beat it was going ham during the first phases and then by the end I was playing so scared.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have never felt so much joy and then immediate anger.

FINALLY beat Genichiro Ashina...or so I thought. I was so happy. Yelling and all hyped up.

Then a cutscene plays and this dude has a lightning sword all of a sudden and I get fucked up.

time-space

Oct 27, 2017
Throwing the towel at the Genichiro rematch. He's absolutely beyond my reflexes (and most importantly, my patience). Even if I could beat him, I just don't enjoy the experience of throwing myself at a wall for hours until I memorize all these patterns and condition my body to react to them with such ridiculously tight timings.

I expected something more Tenchu and less Souls out of this game. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty mad I spent 70 euros on a game I absolutely cannot complete, and Sony's shit-ass refund policy has never stung more than now. I know it's not the game's or FromSoft's fault that I suck, but put yourself in my shoes. Feels pretty shit having wasted my money like this.

To everyone who has the reflexes, skill, patience and dedication, I hope you had/have fun with Sekiro. It's a hell of a game if this is your jam.

I'd love it if Activision pressured From into patching in a filthy casual mode for people like me but I'm not holding my breath.

I feel the same. Wish I could refund. The game is really cool and i want to see it to the end, but not at the expense of retrying boss fights 30+ times.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I mean Nameless King looks like a scrub compared to him. The way I beat it was going ham during the first phases and then by the end I was playing so scared.
Yeah, I sometimes get the first 2 phases done with no damage taken (and other times the first phase just fucks me up...). I watched some videos now and will try that for phase 3 and 4 tomorrow...

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
I'm concerned about picking this game up, given that I can't even beat Hollow Knight...

There is nothing to worry about if you can read instructions and actually follow them. The game literally tells you what to do during the first few hours to prepare you for the rest of the game.

I honestly believe ANYONE can beat this game aslong as they just read the popups and try to understand what they say.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I've killed butterfly, horse dude, climbed to the top of the caste & now killed seven spears. No idea where to go. Is there a new path somewhere or what am I missing?

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been bad at using invincibility frames... I'm using the firecracker.
But tbh, it's only been 5 tries so far. I'll beat it. It's just a frustrating -type- of fight for me. I beat every other boss and miniboss quite easily so far, but this one is blah.

Keep at it. Once I realised I had to hold the run button (with lock-on) for pretty much the entire fight it made much more sense and became much more manageable.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got the fresh viscera, that was fucking awesome.

I did a double take when I saw what was below me. "Wait, can I...? Oh shit, I can, fu-"

fiskyfisko

Mar 23, 2018
Are you talking about
Sword Saint or regular Ishin Asshina?
I fought the first one and honestly it is one of the most ridiculous boss fights From has come up with

Sword Saint

Also I just realized there are pretty much no shield guys after the beginning, explains why I never really used the axe.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
So I watched IGN's video about 7 things to do first in Sekiro and actually it helped me a lot because I missed quite a lot in the beginning. I can recommend it. Now I feel more confident in tackling the game.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
HUGE PSA!!!!!!

Discovered major NPC quest line that you want to do to be able to upgrade prosthetics by buying mats conveniently.

There is an NPC called Anayama the peddler in Ashina Outskirts right around the Ogre fight. This guy sells mats for prosthetics.

His first quest line is paying him some cash do this.

Next he asks you about hiring some fat guy and also some salt related quest. The salt related quest you progress by eavedropping later on in Ashina castle. The fat guy is in Senpou castle.

DO NOT GIVE the fat crying guy the WHITE pin wheel!!!! Give him the RED pinwheel that you find later on! When you give him the red pinwheel, you unlock the option to send him to Ayanama. Doing the salt quest and the fat crying quest CORRECTLY will unlock a ton of matts and the kunai mat required for the Shuriken upgrades!!!!
I did give him the white and red pinwheel. He said I was a nice person trying to help.

Then I lured him to the abandoned dungeon to be butchered and experimented on by some shady ass surgeon.... all for 3 Fat Wax.

I know man, I know....

Feb 15, 2019
I just finished up the game, did all the bosses and most of the minibosses (probably missed a few). This game was pretty sick though and while I do think the only 1 weapon thing is fine for a first run, it might hurt replayability. Will have to find out later when I replay it. All around it was pretty smooth sailing except for the last boss who had me sweating.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Of course, especially when most of the complaints stem from the game being "unfair" when most of the time it's people who can't acclimate to the mechanics.
There is nothing to worry about if you can read instructions and actually follow them. The game literally tells you what to do during the first few hours to prepare you for the rest of the game.

I honestly believe ANYONE can beat this game aslong as they just read the popups and try to understand what they say.
Ahhh, now THAT'S some good old fashion Souls git gud talk right there.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If enemies legit plunge down on you, you can deflect it.

Yeah I know you can. But more often than not im probably just dodging out the way because I panic until I get used to the animation and making sure it doesn't switch from a plunge to a unblockable sweep. Which I've seen.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone says that the game become easier after a point, that is just not true. Not even close. It remains insanely difficult, and in fact, gets harder.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just now getting to the Lady Butterfly fight. Went into the fight ready to handle business & died in less than 15 seconds lol

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really dreading hitting the brick walls many of you are facing, because so far I love it. First mini boss down, two skill trees activated and three prosthetics procured. Working my way through the first memory and having a blast.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game is GOTY material and I don't want From to go back to the Soulsborne style.

Actually make the combat even better and the stealth mechanics even tighter.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018

FINALLY beat Genichiro Ashina...or so I thought. I was so happy. Yelling and all hyped up.

Then a cutscene plays and this dude has a lightning sword all of a sudden and I get fucked up.

Made me quit. If I work hard to overcome a challenge, I don't expect the game to move the goal posts at the last minute.

Give him three deathblows and switch it up after two - that's fine - but don't snatch away a victory I've earned.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The
Genishiro in Ashina
fight is just amazing. Took me over 50 tries, but I finally got it. I'm getting better at dealing with the perilous attacks. It's still a crapshoot, but at least I'm getting them at least some of the time. This is no doubt the first Git Gud or Git Out moment in the game. I haven't gitten gud yet, but at least I'm not garbage at the game anymore. Every encounter is a learning experience.

It's weird that the cutscenes for that fight play whenever you reach the arena, over and over. Very unlike Fromsoft. Very minor gripe, but it's annoying having to skip the cutscene everytime. Specially mid-fight. I kept losing focus.

Another minor gripe: using sugars takes too damn long, and their duration is way too brief (30 seconds). Makes it too risky to pop a sugar in the middle of a fight. They should be like using paper or Beast Blood Pellets in Bloodborne: almost instantaneous. Or make the effect last longer so that the risk of getting stabbed in the face is worth it. Resins and Paper in DS and BB respectively last for 1 minute. DS3 had it right: there's the resins which last for a minute but take longer to apply, and then the bundles which are applied instantly (even between hits) but only last 11 seconds.

Hah, happened to me too. I didn't fall for it with
Lady Butterfly because she only had one pip which seemed suspect
, but here the fight was hard enough that actually I sat back and exhaled 'whew, that wasn't too bad' and then I got electrocuted.

Reminded me of Sister Friede.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone says that the game become easier after a point, that is just not true. Not even close. It remains insanely difficult, and in fact, gets harder.
I've fought 3 bosses so far, and personally, it got WAY easier after my first boss (Lady Butterfly). Didn't even use a single revive on my second boss, and the third one only took me two tries.

buset

Jul 25, 2018
Soo..... I'm super annoyed that more or less all enemies can stab you through walls etc. Every time I try to use the environment to my advantage there's a spear through rock or this enemy who still see me through the wall. I find this more or less early assasins creed level annoying. :(

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've fought 3 bosses so far, and personally, it got WAY easier after my first boss (Lady Butterfly). Didn't even use a single revive on my second boss, and the third one only took me two tries.

I mean I do suppose there is a brief lull at Gyoubu but it really picks up again almost immediately after. Or maybe I'm just bad - most bosses take me 2 hours or more haha, except for him, who I beat very handily.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I dunno. The difficulty is all over. I beat the Genichiro rematch pretty quickly then got demolished by a boss in the valley. Then I bounced back and destroyed mini bosses right after that particular fight. And I have a feeling I'm progressing in the correct manner and not out of order.

The difficulty is seriously all over.

Xthn

Aug 25, 2018
I dunno. The difficulty is all over. I beat the Genichiro rematch pretty quickly then got demolished by a boss in the valley. Then I bounced back and destroyed mini bosses right after that particular fight. And I have a feeling I'm progressing in the correct manner and not out of order.

The difficulty is seriously all over.

I would agree that it goes way up for the VERY last boss of the game. There are some bosses that honestly made me talk shit to my computer for a solid 2 hours before I beat them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.