• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
you're mad because you ran into something that killed you? i just don't really understand. do you think every enemy should have a big warning arrow pointing to it that you can see from across the map?

you made the choice to keep pressing on into new territory when you were woefully underprepared.

I'm annoyed because I was just trying to get the hell OUT of there and restock my damn healing items but the game put a fog wall in my way so I couldn't do that and put me in front of an insane bull that always managed to hit me during my Idol animation no matter where I tried to hide. Normally against most midbosses there's at least enough room for you to hide and Idol out if you run into them by mistake,

Are you surprised I'm not a fan of dying when I lose fucking resources for doing so AND get punished by having my NPCs get sick?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Is the only negative effect to Dragonrot the unseen aid?

It's already stressful enough dying over and over to hard bosses without worrying about NPCs possibly dying.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a get out of jail free card, it's a find a tiny bit of cover and pray to god you have time to escape card, and in the case of a raging burning bull it's not surprising you don't

Dragonrot is easily curable

If you eavesdropped you would've heard them talking about something that attacks friend or foe without care, exactly how prior to that they talked about how the fire hurts the ogre, if you can eavesdrop assume there's trouble afoot and stop being such a baby when the game is trying to teach you things and you ignore them

I find it odd to complain about game design when you ignore key aspects of it and suffer the consequences therefrom.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Is the only negative effect to Dragonrot the unseen aid?

It's already stressful enough dying over and over to hard bosses without worrying about NPCs possibly dying.
NPCs will stop talking to you about side quests once they're sick. They'll say the first sentence of what they would normally say and then just start coughing and end the conversation.

It's not hard to cure Dragonrot.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I love the combat of this game. Took me a bit to figure it out but there are so many ways to try and get through each level. Brilliant game so far. Hard as fuck, but not unreasonably so.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ah come to ooooon. Then I go through the burning place and come to a corner where 5 different enemies are at one tiny spot.

This is bullshit. Like I said, it's just hard for the sake of being hard, that's not fun at all and design wise absolutely awful. I don't see the fun in this and I'm a f'n Souls veteran.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I'm annoyed because I was just trying to get the hell OUT of there and restock my damn healing items but the game put a fog wall in my way so I couldn't do that and put me in front of an insane bull that always managed to hit me during my Idol animation no matter where I tried to hide. Normally against most midbosses there's at least enough room for you to hide and Idol out if you run into them by mistake,

Are you surprised I'm not a fan of dying when I lose fucking resources for doing so AND get punished by having my NPCs get sick?
you should really not think of dragonrot as a punishment. treat it like it's there to mess with you. it might as well be "every time you die, someone adds a stone to a big pile of stones." why would you care how many stones are in the pile?

Jun 26, 2018
Who else thinks all-out battles against a bunch of enemies are fun and much more manageable than they were in Souls games? I'm having a blast with how wild things get.

Totally, after tiptoe-ing around enemies groups and wasting a lot of time, I found it much more fun to jump into the fray take out as many as I can and then run away if it gets too hot. Next level hit & run souls gameplay!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
can we have a moratorium on "hard for the sake of being hard"? it is a fully meaningless criticism

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you're mad because you ran into something that killed you? i just don't really understand. do you think every enemy should have a big warning arrow pointing to it that you can see from across the map?

you made the choice to keep pressing on into new territory when you were woefully underprepared.
I think some people got so used to steamrolling Soulsborne games that they are genuinely confused now.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I find it odd to complain about game design when you ignore key aspects of it and suffer the consequences therefrom.

The game design flaw I'm talking about is the Dragonrot system and the fact that death punishes you so heavily by taking your resources and skill point progress away.

Getting ganked by a boss is annoying but manageable. What pisses me off is the fact that I now have to deal with MULTIPLE death-punishment mechanics, all of which just make the experience less fun to deal with.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Are there spiders or many insects in the game that's anyone seen so far? I can deal with the latter but spiders were the thing that stopped me from playing much Souls.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's reasonable to go "hey, I find this game too hard and am not having fun with it," but "hard for the sake of being hard" is the doofiest way of deflecting a personal opinion into a nonsense ascription of intent to the games' creators.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
The game design flaw I'm talking about is the Dragonrot system and the fact that death punishes you so heavily by taking your resources and skill point progress away.

Getting ganked by a boss is annoying but manageable. What pisses me off is the fact that I now have to deal with MULTIPLE death-punishment mechanics, all of which just make the experience less fun to deal with.

If you don't want to play a challenging game you don't have to. But saying it's a "design flaw" is way beyond hyperbolic IMO. You're just not adapted to it yet and you're failing to see or observe things (like with eavesdropping) because you're relying too much on past habits.

Play Sekiro and stop trying to play Dark Souls 4.

Jun 26, 2018
quick question regarding Snap Seed + Hirata Audience Chamber early in the game:

After defeating the Drunkard, you meet an injured samurai who hands you snap seeds and talks about an illusion standing in your way. I went down the stairs under the tatami, looked everywhere and tried the snap seeds on the locked door, the decorative armor and the landing of the stairs.

Am I looking for something like a DS hidden wall in this location or should I go somewhere else, don't want to use all the snap seeds (running low, but I have a few more from the snake section).

You need to go to the front entrance of the burning mansion to get the key, which you get to by the more straight route back before the burning mansion. Snap seeds is for what comes after the door, no hidden door.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mid-Game Spoiler and question

Just killed
Genichiro at the castle, wow what a fight. He was only the 3rd boss I encountered. Now I have to decide between helping Kuro or protect him aacording to the rules. I got spoiled that there was a decision which could drastically cut the game short. Is this it? If so I'm going to help Kuro, don't want the game to end so early

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Is the hard mode bell supposed to be in the direction of the
Headless?
there is the headless and one path to the right and neither has the item.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I've yet to get the game... the shop where I did the preorder only received the normal edition, will have to wait a couple of days to get my CE :(

Hope you guys are enjoying the game for me!

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yooo that first mini-boss on Kongo mountain is amazing.
That western knight with the huge sword. First time I got there I died pretty fast since I only had one gourd charge left. Second time, he hit me and I flew out of the window: instant dead lol. Third time, I beat him, and kicked him out of the window as a finishing animation. Robeeeert!
That fight was one of the better ones so far.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Mid-Game Spoiler and question

Just killed
Genichiro at the castle, wow what a fight. He was only the 3rd boss I encountered. Now I have to decide between helping Kuro or protect him aacording to the rules. I got spoiled that there was a decision which could drastically cut the game short. Is this it? If so I'm going to help Kuro, don't want the game to end so early
You have a code of honor. You have to obey it.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am at the same place and stuck.

What i am doing is eliminating all side kicks first and then Calling the NPC. Almost worked for me.

You can cheese the battle like most mini bosses. After clearing out all mobs, retrace your steps back towards the water and hide in a corner along the buildings there. Wait until it calms down (shouldn't take more than 10 seconds), then sneak behind the boss, who should be on his way back to his original position, for a free deathblow. Now for the remaining health bar, summon the nearby NPC and you should easily take down his last health bar.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think some people got so used to steamrolling Soulsborne games that they are genuinely confused now.

and being stubborn. just from the first few hours I already knew to change my approach from BB, Nioh, Dark Souls, The Surge, etc.

there are a few posters that since the start of this thread have been complaining yet don't bother to change their play tatics (from what I am reading)
just pure fucking whining

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you change the controls within the game on PS4? I remember that putting me off Bloodbourne.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
You can cheese the battle like most mini bosses. After clearing out all mobs, retreat your steps back towards water and hide in a corner along the buildings there. Wait until it calms down (shouldn't take more than 10 seconds), then sneak behind the boss, who should be on his way back to his original position, for a free deathblow. Now for the remaining health bar, summon the nearby NPC and you should easily take down his last health bar.

I don't think using stealth for a death blow is cheesing, at least how it's understood from Soulsborne--stealth is a purposeful and intended game mechanic.

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It took me an hour to "defeat" Lady Butterfly just to discover that se has a second life, I wanna cry :( Jesus Christ I'm so mad, this game is so fucking hard.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
For people having problems with a lot of fights, really just learn to hold down sprint a lot
it's a legitimate tactic and makes some fights way way easier

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
damn, that raging bull fight might be a worse experience than bed of chaos. what in the world
regarding that fight

Hold that B/O circle button and run towards it. Stay on it's buttocks the entire fight. Use the firecracker prosthetic tool to stun it if you need to (can stun once every ~25 seconds).

No nowhere even close to as bad as the bed of chaos. Not even a mile away.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is abybody playing this with the Demon Bell activated? How much harder does it make the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.