• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Started my play through this evening and spent far too long lost in the tutorial. Now that I'm up and running, I've found it to be a lot easier than I expected. The window for parrying the early enemies seems to be quite generous, and I've not had any problems with the timing so far. I expect it to get much harder, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised how well I've taken to this. Loving the setting and atmosphere, and it's running beautifully on my PC.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Right, because you can't complete those questlines if the rot prevents you from interacting with those NPCs.

So I guess we can say it IS confirmed.

Just play the game and enjoy it.. no matter what happens with dragon rot. The game is meant to be played through more than once.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Me when I acquired the
Loaded Axe
and decided to test it on the annoying shield enemies to see if it would be effective..

ISHd.gif

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys I got a question, do you have to beat the game multiple times to get the various endings?

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Looking around for info and footage of this game has made this FROM entry go from 'Some day on deep discount' to 'Ignore indefinitely'.

Dragon Rot in particular is a especially terrible mechanic.

Ive not played a FROM game before, and in an hr I died 4 times, but i learn every time I die, once I'm comfortable with controls and strategy I will probably restart.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Really have trouble knowing which attack the ennemies are using between thurst, sweep or grab.... also about the sweep, should i jump and attack, or jump then jump on the ennemy and attack? Which trigger the one that drain a good amount of the ennemy posture?

Also what's the point of vault over? Since the ennemy is in broken posture, you can death counter it in front anyway, so what's the point of going behind it?

An arrow icon means you can grapple something but not stand on it. Sometimes you see this in the environment and sometimes it appears over bosses and minibosses when they are on certain states. It's a window of opportunity

weird never saw any of those on ennemies... any idea on how to trigger it?

metaprogram

Oct 28, 2017
So I've asked a couple of times and not gotten an answer, which can only mean 1 of 2 things.

1) nobody else has found this boss
2) the thread moves really fast

Anyway, has anyone Killed the guy guarding
mist raven
, and if so does he drop anything useful or can I just leave him after looting the item?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk bruhs, this combat hasn't clicked with me yet at all. Feels more annoying than anything.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Really not liking the dragon rot mechanic. If this game is as brutal as it's been marketed, requiring multiple deaths to proceed, why punish players? You bust your ass to beat these bosses and are rewarded with a bad ending? I thought hollowing in DS2 was bad.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Looking around for info and footage of this game has made this FROM entry go from 'Some day on deep discount' to 'Ignore indefinitely'.

Dragon Rot in particular is a especially terrible mechanic.
I'm with you. Dark Souls and Bloodborne are my favorite games of all time. But nothing since the announcement dealing with this game has gotten me excited. I'm trying to watch footage of people playing and it's just hammering home how uninteresting it is. Oh well

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I have that skill but it doesn't seem to work.
What Is the timing on it?
You press O right?
I tried practising against the dummy dude at base camp and I think you have to push forward at the same time. Didn't get to go back to the mini boss yet though.

The stealth bit you have to do to get rid of the normal guys for that fight is really annoying when you keep dying.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Ive not played a FROM game before, and in an hr I died 4 times, but i learn every time I die, once I'm comfortable with controls and strategy I will probably restart.
I don't mind dying in FROM games by any means, but not when said game punishes you so harshly for doing so.

Moreover, this game just doesn't seem fun.
The combat is fast but so much variety was lost FROM's previous games.

Also, there are are not nearly enough non-human opponents FFS

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I have no clue where my correct path is, but I've decided to go to the Hirata Estate because I have clue on where to go after the Ogre dude. I'm up to the fat dude with cronies. Not sure if I'm supposed to be here or not yet.

Anywhoo, this game is kicking my ass lol. I do ok when I fight 1 vs 1, but when a mob comes after me I'm toast. Still need to find my rhythm here. This is definitely one of the toughest games I've played since probably something from the PS2 era, and I say that with high regard. I am loving this game. I hope there is some Anor Lando moment.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay the horse boss is down on first try, I really needed that lol, everything else has been straight wiping me out

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
game just clicked so hard with me...my own pace, playing slow. got lucky luring enemies out wihout being seen by others. so good. i had trouble with enemies last night, today i just beat them all in one try. this is what i love about these games. you get better at them eventually while playing them, ppl saying they give up cause its hard, dont...just keep trying, take a rest, come back to it, be patient..its a goddman masterpiece.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Two damn people got Dragonrot while I tried to beat Shinobi Hunter, and he's not even a damn boss. This mechanic gives me waaay more anxiety than soul retrieval ever did.

I'm hoping the difficulty curve for this works similar to Bloodborne, where I beat my head against the wall for hours with Gascione and Vicar Amelia and then breezed through the rest of the game.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I have no clue where my correct path is, but I've decided to go to the Hirata Estate because I have clue on where to go after the Ogre dude. I'm up to the fat dude with cronies. Not sure if I'm supposed to be here or not yet.
If you look up slightly after the Ogre there will be a hole you can grapple to. You can also do the Hirata estate, yeah.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
After over an hour with who knows how many deaths, I finally beat that damn shinobi hunter. Good lord that was an amazing rush.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've hit my first wall, Headless. I know it's optional and I should most certainly come back once I have a way to dispel that slow fog, but I'm way too stubborn.

Two damn people got Dragonrot while I tried to beat Shinobi Hunter, and he's not even a damn boss. This mechanic gives me waaay more anxiety than soul retrieval ever did.

I'm hoping the difficulty curve for this works similar to Bloodborne, where I beat my head against the wall for hours with Gascione and Vicar Amelia and then breezed through the rest of the game.
You'll gain a way to cure dragonrot very soon. Don't worry about it too much.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can I skip Butterfly lady for now and continue on to Ashina Castle? I don't have it in me to take her down now.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I think people might be having a little bit of trouble with ogre because they are following game suggestion to a T (dodging his grabs or using the grappling prompt), whereas due to a few factors dodging isn't the ideal option against ogre's grabs.

I fired up a new save to do some testing on the ogre. I have no flame vent nor any skills and just took him down with regular attacks. Ogre's throws (outside of the instant close range one) are slow, wide and long ranged due to his size. In addition, due to how tall he is, jumping into him then jumping off him the best course of action in avoiding throws and counter attacking. Grappling to him after a throw is only ok if you have attack after grapple, otherwise walk back to him to get in one hit. Also, keep a character length distance to minimize the instant grab occurrences. This doesn't mean to keep backing up ad nauseum, but to initiate charge attacks that comes out when he is one character length away.

For maximizing damage, deflect all his attacks, and insert a charged r1 into regular r1 after all heavy attacks. 5-6 charged r1s will cause a stagger a little shorter than fire effect, allowing for 4 hits. charged r1 into r1 for all properly dodged throws (remove r1 if you feel uncomfortable).

Once you get the rythm it shouldn't take more than 90s to take him down.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
Really not liking the dragon rot mechanic. If this game is as brutal as it's been marketed, requiring multiple deaths to proceed, why punish players? You bust your ass to beat these bosses and are rewarded with a bad ending? I thought hollowing in DS2 was bad.

It's not that big of a deal. I haven't had any NPCs die from Dragonrot.

Spoilers below:

vJMjjSY.jpg

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, a bit lost. Anyone able to give me a tip?

I've beaten two bosses and a bunch of minibosses so far:
For bosses I've beatenButterfly and the guy on the horse. For minibosses, ogre, drunkard, like three generals (two with katanas, one with a spear), the centipede giraffe thing, and the Snake Eyes gun woman. Along with the Armored guy.

I feel like I've hit all of Ashina Outskirts, Castle, Hirata Estate, and Senpou Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.