• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm considering restarting the game completely to avoid the built up dragonrot. I'm at the chained golem and I've only gotten far enough that I've got 3 ninja tools... so not too far back I don't think.

Only reason I'm considering not starting over is because I've done some research and
There's something you can get to cure dragonrot.

So... restart or no?
don't restart, don't sweat dragonrot. treat it like the ganon conquering hyrule in OoT's flash-forward—yeah, it's bad, but it's part of the story they're telling. just let them tell the story and worry about specifics later, or on future playthroughs, imo

Dec 6, 2017
US
So I'm considering restarting the game completely to avoid the built up dragonrot. I'm at the chained golem and I've only gotten far enough that I've got 3 ninja tools... so not too far back I don't think.

Only reason I'm considering not starting over is because I've done some research and

So... restart or no?

I personally like to just play however it happens on my first playthroughs and not worry about specifics etc. until my second time but that's just me.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Managed to make some time for this. Initial impressions are that it's a lot easier than more recent From Software games, but starting to see some trickier bits like the big fat red guy with the katakana surrounded by a mob. Really like the jump kick to death blow move especially against those monk like guys with the spears. Don't really feel like I have a grasp of the combat yet but a lot of fun so far.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I think I'm close to finishing the game, I just got an achievement that says "Traveled to all areas of the game" so I must be getting close now.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So I'm considering restarting the game completely to avoid the built up dragonrot. I'm at the chained ogre and I've only gotten far enough that I've got 3 ninja tools... so not too far back I don't think.

So... restart or no?
Don't restart. The thing you get to cure it is a finite resource, but you can use it on whoever you need to in order to get their quests done. You will die a lot in this game, it's inevitable.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm considering restarting the game completely to avoid the built up dragonrot. I'm at the chained ogre and I've only gotten far enough that I've got 3 ninja tools... so not too far back I don't think.

So... restart or no?

You're going to die a lot more than the times you've died already. Keep going forward.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I must have died to Butterfly literally 40 or 50 times by now. The difficulty is unreal, it feels like self-imposed-challenge level of hardness (ie; SL1 runs in Dark Souls, etc), or like some kind of half-joke challenge mod.

I mean I'm not saying I dislike it, it feels good to win, but at times it's borderline insane.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I must have died to Butterfly literally 40 or 50 times by now. The difficulty is unreal, it feels like self-imposed-challenge level of hardness (ie; SL1 runs in Dark Souls, etc), or like some kind of half-joke challenge mod.

I mean I'm not saying I dislike it, it feels good to win, but at times it's borderline insane.

Come back to her later.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Is there any confirmation yet what level of negative effects Dragon rot has? The game seems to be designed in a way that you need to know parry timings for bosses, so you die a lot through trial and error to learn that. Then they hit you with dragon rot for dying a lot through the trail and error.
Yea waiting to hear about this as well. It's such a bullshit mechanic in a game that seemingly expects you to die a lot.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't think I've ever audibly said, "Ahahaha FUCK YOU!" after beating a mini-boss as often as I have while playing this game. Goddamn is it good. The rush from killing something you've been struggling against is something I haven't felt since Demons' Souls and the genre was still new.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017

So... restart or no?
Hell no, keep going. Trying to min/max the effects of mechanics you don't fully understand is kind of a waste of time.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i swear, for 75% of the people bitching and moaning here it would be better to just play the game and practice instead of asking for every little shit in the game. so many people ruining all the mystery there is in the game, it is astounding.

and btw:the "Ogre" is no main boss at all lol. the main bosses all give you upgrades, the little ones prayer beads

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Yea waiting to hear about this as well. It's such a bullshit mechanic in a game that seemingly expects you to die a lot.

I don't think it's a big deal

It's not like the game can only be played once. You don't find or explore every option in a Souls or BB playthrough.

I've healed Rot twice but I'm not concerned by it when a lot of people get affected.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
About early boss:

So I have firecracker, but it feels very inconsistent on the horse boss. Sometimes it stuns the horse for a moment, sometimes it does not at all, and the boss just trashes me afterwards. It's frustrating.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
This game is insane -- after five hours or so, there are something like 7, 8 routes open for me to explore. Stunning art and level design, too.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
don't restart, don't sweat dragonrot. treat it like the ganon conquering hyrule in OoT's flash-forward—yeah, it's bad, but it's part of the story they're telling. just let them tell the story and worry about specifics later, or on future playthroughs, imo

I get that sentiment... but dragonrot is a punishment for dying in the game. It's the game literally telling you that the story is going to be less enjoyable for you because you're doing bad. It'd be different if you could actually stop Ganon from taking over. That was scripted so it was out of my hands. Dragonrot is up to me and how good I am (or aren't).

I'm used to being told to git gud, not be bad. Lol. Not to mention certain side quests are locked out if I do this. I don't wanna be reminded throughout the entirety of a 50 hr long game that I suck.

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Ogre pushed my shit in for over 15 tries, but I finally got gud and beat him. This game is cool so far, but I'm honestly still struggling to adapt to my control scheme.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about obtaining the firearm attachment

So I beat the drunken poison guy but still do not have this attachment although Ive picked up a ton of oil items-I assume Ive missed it and need to do a bit more searching?

Without spoiling anything it's not far from the second shrine.

With spoiling it:
its near the second shrine in the area with the dogs, archers and standard grunts, there is a fire that a few sit around and it's in the fire.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Played for a few hours and I'm in a new section after chiming a bell. Having a lot of fun so far, but I have a few questions about instant kills:

- Is there some way to be sure your stealth kill will work? I've done a few now where I was silent and approached, but he did a regular attack anyway
- Same for doing a jumping blow from above: I've tried jumping and landing a blow but more often I just do a regular attack. The jumping death blow only worked once so far and I want to know how I can be consistent. Or is there a skill later that will make this easier?

I don't really have the exact timing or technique down for these and I want to because it's breaking my stealth.

Oct 25, 2017
6 hours in, still didn't beat a boss yet, but I'm really enjoying the quest design and progression in this game, everything is super neatly tied together. Still hate the pop up tutorials, and I hope they don't come back in From's next game, but other than that it's good.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
how does the difficulty of this game stack up against the old ninja-action classics such as the og Ninja Gaiden?

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About Madam butterfly boss

The guy just gave me one seed, thanks dude its not like I am gonna beat her first try

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
People keep saying that using tools changes everything, but so far I haven't found them to be very useful? I've gathered four so far, and they're nice sometimes, but in general I find them to be ~1.2 times as effective as regular attacks, so most of the time I just resort to normal bladestrikes. Am I missing something?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
how does the difficulty of this game stack up against the old ninja-action classics such as the og Ninja Gaiden?
It's a different kind of difficulty, but I think it's similar in spirit. It has a very rhythmic feel to it. Once you start feelin' yourself, you can do some wild shit. But then something will show up and push your teeth in so you have to find that rhythm again.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Chained Ogre was some amount of nonsense like, dodge barely works, and sometimes his attacks are like they are stuck to me like glue and totally unavoidable, once one of his attacks done a full 360 and instakilled me.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
So there's this lady who wants to be blessed with rice, and around the same time, you'll find a merchant who sells inedible rice. Well, apparently that's not the right kind of rice for the lady, because I don't get the option to give it to her. Welp.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying that using tools changes everything, but so far I haven't found them to be very useful? I've gathered four so far, and they're nice sometimes, but in general I find them to be ~1.2 times as effective as regular attacks, so most of the time I just resort to normal bladestrikes. Am I missing something?

The tools so far are situational and breaks certain enemies defenses, axe can break and open to sowrd kills, shoruiken can stop red attack and flying moves, fire can stun red eyes enemies

Chained Ogre was some amount of nonsense like, dodge barely works, and sometimes his attacks are like they are stuck to me like glue and totally unavoidable, once one of his attacks done a full 360 and instakilled me.

Jump

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

I was able to de-aggro him, land a stealth attack, and then whittle him down in that last deathblow.

I suggest:

Stay near grapple areas, be active with jumping, and only take 2-3 shots at a time. Also suggest taking out the spear dude prior to engaging.

Billy Palmer

Nov 4, 2017
London
I've decided to treat my playthrough as |#sad-game :(' where everyone coughs and dies RIP" in order to make the stress of the Dragon rot mechanic bearable.

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm.. seems like I had a pretty damn shitty bug.

I restarted the game earlier to play in Japanese and noticed after killing the (very early miniboss spoiler)
Chained Ogre
you get
a shinobi medicine skill that improves your healing items

I was very surprised because when I killed him the first time in my other run I did NOT get that, so I went ahead and checked and yeap its also not in my skill list in that save. Completely missing.

Is this a common problem? Seems pretty shitty not getting that skill - and every online resource says it's always dropped by this boss. I never would've known had I not restarted the game.

Last edited:

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
just defeated my first true boss (you know, dark outline behind his name). Now I gotta go kill
Butterfly lady

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm.. seems like I had a pretty damn shitty bug (if you dont notice it).

I restarted the game earlier to play in Japanese and noticed after killing the (very early miniboss spoiler)
Chained Ogre
you get
a shinobi medicine skill that improves your healing items

I was very surprised because when I killed him the first time in my other run I did NOT get that, so I went ahead and checked and yeap its also not in my skill list in that save.

Is this a common problem? Seems pretty shitty not getting that skill - and every online resource says it's always dropped by this boss.

That's a mini boss?

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Man im trying to kill this first general... I hope this is a mini boss because ive lost all my money trying to kill him

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
i swear, for 75% of the people bitching and moaning here it would be better to just play the game and practice instead of asking for every little shit in the game. so many people ruining all the mystery there is in the game, it is astounding.

and btw:the "Ogre" is no main boss at all lol. the main bosses all give you upgrades, the little ones prayer beads

Preach.

Status
Not open for further replies.