• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Someone who's played a good chunk of the game, clue me in: is this more frustrating or less frustrating than Bloodborne? I need a new game to play but my anxiety is kind of super-spiking the past couple of weeks and I really don't want to pay full price on something that might stress me out at the same level that the Defiled Watchdog of the Old Lords did.

Imo this game is harder than Bloodbourne but I don't find it frustrating. Take that as you will.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
When do I get to start boosting my stats...? I haven't fought any bosses yet but I've gotten my shuriken tool.

I'm assuming that's not a spoiler.
There are no stats in Sekiro, only things you can do is increase your attack power by beating bosses and increasing HP + Posture by killing minibosses.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
I'm having a really hard time defeating
="Ensin - the first miniboss in the first dream sequence"]
. (Early Game). Any ideas on how to defeat him? I stealth his first bar, but then always die within a few seconds thereafter.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Trainer is fine dude

Cool, thanks... just wanted to be sure. Doing some research this morning turned out interesting search result about people being banned from DS3 for using a trainer... I imagine it's because the game was partly an online game and it would have given people an un-fair advantage over others. With Sekiro being purely a Single-Player game and I can't see the harm in it.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there any disadvantage to respawning instead of dying? Also, does dying too much cause a lot of Dragonrot?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
this game is hard for no reason , i get the point of making the game as hard as DS but to spread archers all over the maps and put 4 soldiers with every boss is sad , not mention how linear the game is even when you find hidden doors...etc

Linear? Wow.

These frustrated hot takes are something I forgot all about...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nope. In fact, it's encouraged to respawn instead of dying as then you don't cause Dragonrot. Only when you properly die and respawn at Idols is when Dragonrot spreads

Yes, but talk to Emma when you can, she'll help you deal with it.

I've died to the first miniboss a good 7 times already and I'm pretty sure the Dragonrot is bad

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw a video that shows you how you can make enemies even harder with an item. :/

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Nope. In fact, it's encouraged to respawn instead of dying as then you don't cause Dragonrot. Only when you properly die and respawn at Idols is when Dragonrot spreads

Have we confirmed this? There was talk a few pages ago due to a description that it may actually be the opposite: You incur dragonrot by respawning, and then it takes affect when you die. As opposed to just dying without choosing to respawn you could avoid dragonrot. Someone said they were going to test this though I don't think they got back to us yet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat, but more unique than those and quite a bit tougher. You can almost consider them real bosses.

Hrm. I'll have to think about it. I need SOMETHING to play, but I want something satisfying that isn't going to put me into meltdown mode. DMC5 on DMD is stressing me the fuck out, for example.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, are you all playing in english or japanese?

I'm a little torn, I love the english voice acting from the rest of the games. I played up to the first save spot in japanese and i thought the acting here was quite good too but im considering switching to english. Fyi im not too interested in authorial intent.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Help me decide real fast, japanese or english language? I liked nioh japanese but because sometimes was interwined english dialogue.

Dec 6, 2017
US
What's the average hits-to-kill count for enemies and bosses? Do they kill you in two hits like defiled enemies in BB Chalice Dungeons/Dark Souls 2 enemies, or can the player character tank a couple of hits and regroup before going down? I really, really don't enjoy dying in two hits, especially from enemies with absurdly wide attack ranges.

Honestly, this is my biggest gripe so far. Any mini-boss I've encountered can just fucking destroy you in like two hits and it feels really shitty to me when all of them take a lot of damage to have their posture broken. Add to that that posture can go back down and it's not even like you're chipping away at their health. You can find yourself in situations easily where you've been doing well, get hit, have to duck out and retreat for a bit to pop a health item and in the meantime the posture damage you inflicted starts going back down.

This is meant to encourage staying in the fight I'm sure but it's an aspect I find immensely frustrating right now. It feels like fighting enemies with regenerating health that can two-shot you easily. The game kind of demands borderline perfection in boss fights contrary to the actual levels being perfectly manageable and fun.

I'm not trying to turn you off the game, I've also had a ton of fun with it but that's my experience with boss and even mini-bosses, which seem quite plentiful thus far, right now.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I've died to the first miniboss a good 7 times already and I'm pretty sure the Dragonrot is bad
Yeah, Dragonrot is bad. Locks you out of certain side quests which can influence the ending.

Have we confirmed this? There was talk a few pages ago due to a description that it may actually be the opposite: You incur dragonrot by respawning, and then it takes affect when you die. As opposed to just dying without choosing to respawn you could avoid dragonrot. Someone said they were going to test this though I don't think they got back to us yet.
Eh, I spoke to Emma though and she mentioned that Dragonrot is basically taking lifepower from people once the Wolf loses his (whenever you die properly). I was under the impression that dying proper and respawning at idols is what causes the Dragonrot, not resurrecting as you avoid death. This description backs me up too. I took a look at a few articles and the only one that has misunderstood the mechanic is Polygon (who coincidentally are the first result when you search "Sekiro Dragonrot").

dragonrot-sekiro-shadows-die-twice.jpg

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Watching Cohh play this on twitch as I'm not home yet and man this game is brutal, it makes bloodborne look like childsplay lol! I'm so excited.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Arghfhfhfhfhfhffggdggffggg butterfly. Why can't I beat her. 2 hours. Not sure I've ever gone this long against any boss in souls games

symphonask

Oct 28, 2017
Hirata Estates Hidden Mini Boss Spoiler, need help

Anyone managed to kill

the purple ninja dude who is waiting on top of a house? Any tips?

I spent so long on this dude. I finally downed him just by learning his attack patterns, dodging and getting one hit in when I could. I didn't bother to deflect or block at all lol. Even this no name enemy has a second form when his life gets really low so be careful.

Funnily enough, after I beat him, I went back to the chained ogre and one shot him no problems (I was having trouble with this one) -- so easy compared to the other dude.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
The game didn't sync my playtime or achievements that I got in offline mode when I went back online, thanks Sekiro, don't really care about not having the achievements but not having them in order if I go back to get them will look weird

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I want to go back to early threads about this game and find all the posts where people claimed that Activision's involvement meant the game would be dumbed down and too easy. I wonder how those folks feel now...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this is my biggest gripe so far. Any mini-boss I've encountered can just fucking destroy you in like two hits and it feels really shitty to me when all of them take a lot of damage to have their posture broken. Add to that that posture can go back down and it's not even like you're chipping away at their health. You can find yourself in situations easily where you've been doing well, get hit, have to duck out and retreat for a bit to pop a health item and in the meantime the posture damage you inflicted starts going back down.

This is meant to encourage staying in the fight I'm sure but it's an aspect I find immensely frustrating right now. It feels like fighting enemies with regenerating health that can two-shot you easily. The game kind of demands borderline perfection in boss fights contrary to the actual levels being perfectly manageable and fun.

I'm not trying to turn you off the game, I've also had a ton of fun with it but that's my experience with boss and even mini-bosses, which seem quite plentiful thus far, right now.

Sounds like Nioh in that regard. Enemies recovering all their stamina while you try to heal is certainly not uncommon in games like this.

Oct 30, 2017
So far I've beaten the first 2 main bosses that give you those strength up memories. My impressions so far is that it feels amazing to play, very visceral and satisfying. Just sprinting across rooftops feels cool. The difficulty so far is perfect, I'd say its a bit easier than bloodborne so far but still challenging enough where you need to overcome some obstacles. It reminds me of MGR Reveangence mixed with Souls. The art direction and look is fantastic. I love the direction this game is taking, its an action game, but it has that open exploratory feel that Dark souls did that rewards exploration with cool surprises and actually useful items. I don't really have any complaints at this point on the game. If the level design and bosses keep suprising and delighting, it'll probably be my favorite action game.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Yeah, Dragonrot is bad. Locks you out of certain side quests which can influence the ending.

Eh, I spoke to Emma though and she mentioned that Dragonrot is basically taking lifepower from people once the Wolf loses his (whenever you die properly). I was under the impression that dying proper and respawning at idols is what causes the Dragonrot, not resurrecting as you avoid death. This description backs me up too. I took a look at a few articles and the only one that has misunderstood the mechanic is Polygon (who coincidentally are the first result when you search "Sekiro Dragonrot").

dragonrot-sekiro-shadows-die-twice.jpg

You incur dragonrot on final death, not death then rez. You can die, rez, run back to a sculpture and rest and it won't count for dragonrot. The cutscene that starts when dragonrot begins only happens after a hard death.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Just cheesed the drunkard by attacking him only when he did his poison stuff. Took 10 minutes, but he's dead.

After the boss there's a trapdoor that leads down a passage to a locked door. Any idea how to open it? Tried the snap seeds.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Arghfhfhfhfhfhffggdggffggg butterfly. Why can't I beat her. 2 hours. Not sure I've ever gone this long against any boss in souls games

I'll mark this as a spoiler but fyi just come back to fight her later when you're more powered up because
the reward for beating her is not important in the slightest right now .

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game is dope! You can chain your grappels together and zip around like Spiderman. I honestly didn't expect to be able to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.