• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely see why people are calling this easier. If you're ever in over your head you can Spiderman away.

Parry is pretty forgiving too, I made it through the intro section no problem.

if you think the ability to retreat makes the game easier you probably are like 20 minutes in

Get back to me after doing a few of the actual bosses

Some people will like this fact and others won't, but the fact is that this is (at least in the first act of the game, maybe it gets easier later) the hardest game fromsoft has ever made and it's not even close

Oct 30, 2017
not finding this all that much different difficulty wise than the other souls games. I died way more on cleric beast and the beginning of bloodborne. Here ive managed to kill the horse guy the firdt time fighting him. The drunk was tougher. The lady im on now is a challenge though. So far I cant say which is more challenging

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
How far along are you? I would disagree - so far I've used stealth for clearing the map pretty much exclusively. Dogwolfs aside that can sniff you out, it's working very well - but maybe the level design doesn't allow that anymore after a while?

13h in. You can stealth-kill one enemy, disengage, kill the next one, disengage, and do this 15 times to clear an area. But I don't think this is intended. I try to stealthkill isolated enemies, especially enemies with ranged weapons and enemies that can call for help, but after that it's about swordfighting. There are areas where stealth is pretty strong (Castle rooftops especially) but in general it's an action-game and I think the MGR comparison was on point.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks although I did find out that little walkway. Is that really it though? It's just a basic war of attrition? What's the point of having parry/counter mechanics in the game when you can't implement it against bosses?

No this is just a guide for someone who has troubles with that boss.. there are lots of other ways to kill him.

fiskyfisko

Mar 23, 2018
A little tip for people that have problem with deflecting.

When you're attacking enemy that is blocking, watch the sparkle effect, when the sparkle effect gets much more bright the enemy will attack so prepare for deflect.

With first real boss you can really well train this because you always attack her 2-3 times, the sparks get bright > deflect, attack 2-3 times > deflect.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks although I did find out that little walkway. Is that really it though? It's just a basic war of attrition? What's the point of having parry/counter mechanics in the game when you can't implement it against bosses?
No you can. This one is just another way.

I killed him by running, splitting them apart, and focusing on ranged enemies first.

ToKre

Mar 11, 2018
Any tips with

[Lady Butterfly second phase]
when she goes in the air throw shurikens at her she will drop make sure you sprint to get another free attack if you do it fast enough
some times she will block the shurikens instantly throw another and she will drop and run for the free attack

also with her illusion make sure to run the opposite side of the room and hide behind a pillar so the
"beams" don't hit you and repeat.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly enough I'm not really having trouble with the actual parry system, but more the fucking bog standard souls dodging gameplay lol. Had a tough time with the ogre whereas everything else before was a breeze.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Top game on Twitch right now. I would not have expected that.

It's a new release. A lot of big streamers will be streaming it for the next couple of days. It happens with almost every big release.

Unless it stays up there for a few weeks, you have to assume that people are watching for the streamer, not the game itself.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
When do you know to use this skill? Is it only useable on those red icon attacks?
I think it only activates during a thrust attack by simply dodging. Some red icon attacks are not thrust attacks so it's not needed. But some larger enemies
like the mini-boss in hirata estates
require this skill in order to dodge, but at the same time stay close to the enemy in order to counter-attack. Btw the skill is called
Mikiri counter
and is generally considered essential. It activates automatically while you dodge so it's not tricky to use.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
people love watching other people suffer
giphy.gif

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason I prefer this to the standard souls games is the stealth, amongst other things.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
So Sekiro is now at peak concurrent players of over 102k on steam. Which I think makes it 3rd best in terms of Japanese games. MH:W is at 334k and Dark Souls 3 is at 130k. I assume Sekiro will cross Dark Souls 3 soon too. It has already crossed MGS5(91k).

https://steamdb.info/graph/

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
After killed 4 main bosses I completely agree with you. The game difficulty feels cheap and there's no real motivation to continue after a boss, because a little later another mini boss will come to crush your soul.
I'm beating this game like a zombie. I can't find motivation to get better because the game doesn't reward you in any way. You get stronger and more life, but the progression makes that unnoticeable because the next enemies always feel far stronger that you.
The more I play the less I like this game, just.because it doesn't rewards me in almost any way. Also you have the Dragonrot to reminds me that the game always gonna fuck me. What's the point of progressing on the game if you're always gonna be fucked up?

I was on the fence whether to get this game, after seeing comments like this, I'm going to pass.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
After a pretty long session last night I have to say it's the first time I've found From bosses (pft, mini-bosses) to veer dangerously close to unfair and cheap on the regular.

Granted, I'm still shit at the parrying-game but I feel like I just have no chance to even really practice on the General guy past the Chained Ogre for example. I feel like I have no chance between my character being flattened with two, to three tops, shots from any mini-boss and then being punished with a hefty penalty on top of it. The parry timing may be more forgiving but combined with the fact you can get basically get OHKO'd by every mini-boss I've encountered so far if your health isn't completely full, even one fuck up in absurdly hard-hitting, long combos is an instant death. By the time I get crushed and can 'revive', my health gourd is empty anyway and I have no chance so there isn't even a goddamn point for me to even bother.

I've beaten all Souls games since Demon's and Bloodborne several times each and I'm really trying here but despite how fucking awesome everything else feels, I'm honestly not sure I can handle the demands of this combat system combined with how ridiculously fragile your character is. I mean, it's so bad, I gave up on the general mini-boss guy after Chained Ogre and just went to Hirata Estate because I just see no improvement or way to beat this after 10 tries.

Souls and Bloodborne always left me a sliver of hope and motivation at the end of each session even if it was tough as nails but this difficulty feels cheap, exhausting and intimidating in a bad way so far for me. It's the last thing I want to feel about a game I've been so, so so looking forward to but for my tastes and skills, I think the bosses/mini-bosses I've encountered so far just aren't fun anymore. Even though I beat the Chained Ogre, I felt like it was pure luck because he didn't for once spam his dive-to-win bullshit move several times in a row.

Maybe I just had to vent and I'm not dropping it or anything but my excitement to see more of the world is outweighed by my dread of having to engage with its bosses again. That just hasn't happened to me in a Souls game or Bloodborne. I'll be putting in a lot of time tonight and I'm hoping that I finally make some progress on advanced combat.

Not that I'm not getting my shit pushed in too, but it sounds like you brute-forced the chained ogre.

There's a prosthetic that makes the fight easier at Hirata Estates. If you eavesdrop near the ogre the soldiers mention that he's weak to fire, and the thief NPC tells you that there's a fire prosthetic at Hirata.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
You can parry almost everything in this game. Even huge attacks that you might be inclined to think you can't.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No this is just a guide for someone who has troubles with that boss.. there are lots of other ways to kill him.
No you can. This one is just another way.

I killed him by running, splitting them apart, and focusing on ranged enemies first.
You can parry almost everything in this game. Even huge attacks that you might be inclined to think you can't.
Well alright. So I can do big-damage counters on this guy then with just regular-ass parries?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you think the ability to retreat makes the game easier you probably are like 20 minutes in

Get back to me after doing a few of the actual bosses

Some people will like this fact and others won't, but the fact is that this is (at least in the first act of the game, maybe it gets easier later) the hardest game fromsoft has ever made and it's not even close
I really don't think so

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
The Dragonrot is really demoralizing and makes dying repeatedly to a boss extra frustrating and stressful, but I'm going to assume that like the soul retrieval mechanic it's more of a mind-game than anything and the game is designed with the expectation that players will die a ton on their first run.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Any tips with

[Lady Butterfly second phase]

Surprise attack her once she lands at the foot of the statue. Then make sure you cast a shuriken that will silence her, so she can't summon the minions. Make sure to hit her with a shuriken every time she retreats with a backstep, or she will summon them. If the somehow manages to summon them, then you can dispatch of them all with a Snap seed. Then jsut watch for her slashing frenzy, avoid it at all costs by running away, also with those homing butterflies. Just punish her inbetween her attacks.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
every time you respawn from a checkpoint after a death..

best way to avoid Rot is to fight, and then if you die use resurrect option, and run to the last "prayer spot", Rest and go back and fight.
I'm quite far behind on this thread (it's moving fast!) but after resurrecting, can you use your idol to respawn at the last checkpoint without incurring dragon rot?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just beat the drunkard. This game is nothing but peaks and valleys for me.
The inclusion of stealth in that arena was clever and definitely something new in this genre but it felt really poorly implemented.
Like... Me playing with when to activate the NPC helper felt like exploiting the game and its poor AI rather than using an actual mechanic.
Lots of good ideas. And I am slowly warming up to the game and feeling more comfortable with it. But something just feels off.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm quite far behind on this thread (it's moving fast!) but after resurrecting, can you use your idol to respawn at the last checkpoint without incurring dragon rot?

sorry I actually meant to edit that old post..
check this instead.. sorry for the confusion,..

Here is the official description.. Spoilered

7yGixrN.png

Dec 6, 2017
US
Not that I'm not getting my shit pushed in too, but it sounds like you brute-forced the chained ogre.

There's a prosthetic that makes the fight easier at Hirata Estates. If you eavesdrop near the ogre the soldiers mention that he's weak to fire, and the thief NPC tells you that there's a fire prosthetic at Hirata.

No, I know. I used the fire-crackers on him because I'm stubborn and I did take that into consideration. What I find lame is that without the tool in question, they have to rely on those absurd ultra-tracking, mile-wide grabs and suspect as fuck hitboxes to punish you for not using it.

Granted, I'll definitely chalk that one up to "playing wrong" and not getting that particular tool first but fire-crackers (or whatever they're called) did stun him as well. That might just be my bad as I did have the info in regards to the tool.

I really don't think so

Seriously, get to the bosses, or even mini-bosses first. I died twice total in my first few hours through the regular stages and once I hit even the first real mini-boss, I felt like the difficulty spike was absurd.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
So I'm two hours in and it doesn't seem HARDER than Dark Souls/Bloodborne, especially with the mobility to GTFO when crap goes wrong. Just keeping track of what to parry/get the hell out of the way from is a little overwhelming at first, but do i LOVE chaining DEATHBLOW after deathblow... game feels amazing to play.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i think the thing that bums me out the most about this game is the lack of flexibility. like there seems to be a Right Way to do things, or at best a way to do it stealth or not

i like it a lot, but it just feels weird playing a game like this and being forced into a play style

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
One tip I would definitely give out is do not neglect blocking. As long you don't block 3-4 hits ( or 2 heavy hits) in succession you are fine, and blocking the first hit of a flurry is a great way to pace deflect on the rest. It's also pretty essential in learning a new enemy's full moveset.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Oh my god FROM, masterpiece of a fight.

Just killed Genichiro and I'm literally shaking. And he escaped :S

Dec 6, 2017
US
One tip I would definitely give out is do not neglect blocking. As long you don't block 3-4 hits ( or 2 heavy hits) in succession you are fine, and blocking the first hit of a flurry is a great way to pace deflect on the rest. It's also pretty essential in learning a new enemy's full moveset.

You know what, that sounds like a really useful tip. I'll keep that in mind when I play again later, thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
I love watching the Korean girl who has been streaming all day. She's thrown her mouse multiple times and stood up and kicked the crap out of her chair a few times.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
some boss thoughts:

Lady Butterfly was a really fun, felt really geat learning it and really requires you to use mechanics and prosthetics. Shuriken when she's in the air helps so much.

Gyoubu was a joke, beat him first try. Firecrackers then just smash him, wa surprised how quickly he went down

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, that sounds like a really useful tip. I'll keep that in mind when I play again later, thanks.

It made the tutorial boss click for me, and honestly the rest of the game so far. This is an instance where running my head against a wall really helped.

I got him the very next try and can do it now pretty flawlessly. But this failure was much more visually pleasing imo. I said it already but the weight behind the combat in this type of back and forth is something I've not experienced before.

Status
Not open for further replies.