• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2017
US
After a pretty long session last night I have to say it's the first time I've found From bosses (pft, mini-bosses) to veer dangerously close to unfair and cheap on the regular.

Granted, I'm still shit at the parrying-game but I feel like I just have no chance to even really practice on the General guy past the Chained Ogre for example. I feel like I have no chance between my character being flattened with two, to three tops, shots from any mini-boss and then being punished with a hefty penalty on top of it. The parry timing may be more forgiving but combined with the fact you can get basically get OHKO'd by every mini-boss I've encountered so far if your health isn't completely full, even one fuck up in absurdly hard-hitting, long combos is an instant death. By the time I get crushed and can 'revive', my health gourd is empty anyway and I have no chance so there isn't even a goddamn point for me to even bother.

I've beaten all Souls games since Demon's and Bloodborne several times each and I'm really trying here but despite how fucking awesome everything else feels, I'm honestly not sure I can handle the demands of this combat system combined with how ridiculously fragile your character is. I mean, it's so bad, I gave up on the general mini-boss guy after Chained Ogre and just went to Hirata Estate because I just see no improvement or way to beat this after 10 tries.

Souls and Bloodborne always left me a sliver of hope and motivation at the end of each session even if it was tough as nails but this difficulty feels cheap, exhausting and intimidating in a bad way so far for me. It's the last thing I want to feel about a game I've been so, so so looking forward to but for my tastes and skills, I think the bosses/mini-bosses I've encountered so far just aren't fun anymore. Even though I beat the Chained Ogre, I felt like it was pure luck because he didn't for once spam his dive-to-win bullshit move several times in a row.

Maybe I just had to vent and I'm not dropping it or anything but my excitement to see more of the world is outweighed by my dread of having to engage with its bosses again. That just hasn't happened to me in a Souls game or Bloodborne. I'll be putting in a lot of time tonight and I'm hoping that I finally make some progress on advanced combat.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Shit this game is hard. I just started it. I'm just past the part where
you get your ass kicked by that imposing dude in the flower field while trying to save our little master
. Just getting there, I must have died 4 or 5 times. I can see that the parry system is obligatory. You cannot fuck around while there are more than 2 enemies at the same time. Either you stealth kill them, either you parry and massive damage em up. Trying to spam the attack button on enemies is just a friendly way to tell them to fuck you up.

Can't wait to play more of it tonight! Playing on PC. That 60fps really helps with such a game.
Actually game hasnt even started yet if you are there :P Just shore up the mechanics for now. Search the area well before picking the fights.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Stealth in this game is...not good. It's passable but I dunno. Not what I would call good stealth mechanics.

because it is no fucking stealth game at all...it is there to have the drop on a few enemies, to dock a point out of "minibosses" and that was it. it is there to get rid of a few enemies but in essence this is a pure combat focused game. the goal here isn´t to sneak around and let people alive because you waste precious resources( money, emblems) for doing so.

It has very light stealth elements and that was it, the rest is combat based. sneaking around won´t make bosses disappear at all. when anyone buys this game thinking of a stealth game they are in for a rough time.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The fish dude in the barrel. Will there be other places to get scales? Since it got 4 and there's nothing anymore in that particular area

Oct 26, 2017
This game scares me...I quit Nioh because I couldn't even make it past the first boss. I should probably just pour one out for this game and move on.

But I won't.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The thing with Souls games (inc. Bloodborne) is that you could just roll spam and abuse the fuck out of the i-frames to fuck shit up.

In Sekiro however, the combat is way more involved with posture and reflect. It feels more like a rhythm game than anything.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Actually game hasnt even started yet if you are there :P Just shore up the mechanics for now. Search the area well before picking the fights.

Thanks for the tip. Do you mean to explore the area to get the advantage over them? I just got the prosthetic arm so I'm eager to see what I can do with it!

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely see why people are calling this easier. If you're ever in over your head you can Spiderman away.

Parry is pretty forgiving too, I made it through the intro section no problem.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
because it is no fucking stealth game at all...it is there to have the drop on a few enemies, to dock a point out of "minibosses" and that was it. it is there to get rid of a few enemies but in essence this is a combat focused game. the goal here isn´t to sneak around and let people alive because you waste precious resources( money, emblems) for doing so.

It has very light stealth elements and that was it, the rest is pure combat based. sneaking around won´t make bosses disappear at all. when anyone buys this game thinking of a stealth game they are in for a rough time.
Kind of like how metal gear rising had the abilitiy to stealth kill some stuff.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
FEeH9Fd.gif

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After a pretty long session last night I have to say it's the first time I've found From bosses (pft, mini-bosses) to veer dangerously close to unfair and cheap on the regular.

After killed 4 main bosses I completely agree with you. The game difficulty feels cheap and there's no real motivation to continue after a boss, because a little later another mini boss will come to crush your soul.
I'm beating this game like a zombie. I can't find motivation to get better because the game doesn't reward you in any way. You get stronger and more life, but the progression makes that unnoticeable because the next enemies always feel far stronger that you.
The more I play the less I like this game, just.because it doesn't rewards me in almost any way. Also you have the Dragonrot to reminds me that the game always gonna fuck me. What's the point of progressing on the game if you're always gonna be fucked up?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Quick question:
Is it worth killing the blue and white spear monks in Hirata Estate? I can kill the white one reliably but for some reason to blue fucks me up. Since I progressed past them it's a pain to backtrack, so I don't want to waste a ton of time if they don't give anything.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I can't seem to get my combat art working. I'm pressing RB+LB and it just does the regular attack. Am I missing something?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can I get some tips on the drunkard? Can you even parry/counter him properly?

Regular enemies are no big deal but I'm finding the bosses/sub-bosses in this game extremely frustrating. I don't understand the point of having any of the the post-death chastising mechanics in a game where you're going to be dying as constantly as this one. This shit is much worse than any other souls game.

Oct 25, 2017
After playing for about 4 hours, this game seems harder than all of FromSoftware's previous games. I'm always sweating after fighting a mini-boss.
giphy.gif

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Stealth is used for exploration in the first place, not for clearing the maps.

How far along are you? I would disagree - so far I've used stealth for clearing the map pretty much exclusively. Dogwolfs aside that can sniff you out, it's working very well - but maybe the level design doesn't allow that anymore after a while?

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can I get some tips on the drunkard? Can you even parry/counter him properly?

Regular enemies are no big deal but I'm finding the bosses/sub-bosses in this game extremely frustrating.

Follow the walkway around from the left of the main building and you can get behind on of the shield bandits. Stealth kill him to get the fight going. Quickly run towards the archer and kill him.
Move backwards towards the pond to split up the group of enemies. That way you can take out the katana foes before the boss gets to you.
When the boss gets close run past him and use the axe-thing to get rid of the remaining shield foes quickly (if you do not have the axe, kill them the fastest way possible you know)
When thhey are gone, lure the boss back to the main building. Run and speak to the npc (Gensai) to make him help you in the fight.
Now you face the boss and try to stay behind him, he can't block attacks from behind. Just wait for the NPC to attack the boss, and then you can get a free attack in from the back.

this should help

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
i got bodied but you can win the fight i think wont change the outcome of course

Yeah, it was a pretty poor performance from me as well. I wonder what your reward for winning the fight is... In the From games where you can win the encounter that is supposed to kill you, there was a reward for victory. I wonder if it alters the dialog that follows the dismemberment?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten all the Souls games multiple times, and this game is hard as shit. It's veering into the unfair territory, which I never felt in the previous games.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Thanks for the tip. Do you mean to explore the area to get the advantage over them? I just got the prosthetic arm so I'm eager to see what I can do with it!
Correct. Like in one area, you first take out the guys with Guns and then others otherwise if you go all gung ho as you see it will make the game difficult and you will die a lot. Use the grapple to scale high if possible and see the area first.

I was stuck with the General but then i found out that his one bar can be taken out completely if i use stealth and stab him from behind if i come from beside the gate. I saw this only when after lot of dying i decided to have a look at all the possible paths and effective way to take out the foes.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Follow the walkway around from the left of the main building and you can get behind on of the shield bandits. Stealth kill him to get the fight going. Quickly run towards the archer and kill him.
Move backwards towards the pond to split up the group of enemies. That way you can take out the katana foes before the boss gets to you.
When the boss gets close run past him and use the axe-thing to get rid of the remaining shield foes quickly (if you do not have the axe, kill them the fastest way possible you know)
When thhey are gone, lure the boss back to the main building. Run and speak to the npc (Gensai) to make him help you in the fight.
Now you face the boss and try to stay behind him, he can't block attacks from behind. Just wait for the NPC to attack the boss, and then you can get a free attack in from the back.

this should help
Thanks although I did find out that little walkway. Is that really it though? It's just a basic war of attrition? What's the point of having parry/counter mechanics in the game when you can't implement it against bosses?

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kinda leaning that way. I am a bit bummed there is no online content in Sekiro. Whilst I enjoy doing bosses myself, the way I normally approached DS games was helping others co-op, learning a bit of the boss, then doing it solo in my world.

With Sekiro there is no rush to jump in when online is busy and with it being strictly SP it'll probably be £20 in a few weeks.

But I'm glad it's reviewed well.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
when/where can you do this?

If you die enough times the sculptor and another character can both get Dragonrot. From here I spoke to the healer and she asked about collecting blood samples, if you bring her a blood sample from the sculptor and whoever else has it she creates a cure you can use at shrines. I don't think it happens specifically at any point in the game, just if you die enough times to have the rot spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.