• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I've decided to give this a go although I WILL regret this. Played DS 1-3 and Bloodborne but was always happy the option for coop existed for really tough battles like Ornstein and Smough. And if I don't manage it, I'll just not consider this backlog but 'the game has beaten you'. But I wanna give this a shot, it's too tempting.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How exactly does dragonrot/rot essences work? I read that you only got that if you resurected during fight. However I'm just choosing to die immediately and still getting them. If you get dragonrot/rot essences no matter what you do when you die, what the hell is the point of ever choosing to just die?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Headless down in 1 try. I am an actual god.

Adrenaline is pumping I barely managed it rofl

ara

Oct 26, 2017
After a few hours into this game :

a146fd11e50aae73e077d4fd689523458efcc446_hq.gif

Left: how I should be playing
Right: how I'm actually playing

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Played about an hour, I've never used parry and reposte in a souls game so this is quite a learning curve.

Couple really annoying things though:

Why doesn't gold auto collect like the tool ammo?
Camera has an auto adjustment even though that option is off, feel like I'm fighting with it.
There should be an option to return to stealth after an action like death blow, grapple or jump etc, it's annoying everything you do returns you to standing.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a renewable source of pellets? I feel like I haven't had any in ages. The shopkeeper npc only had 5 total and that's it.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How exactly does dragonrot/rot essences work? I read that you only got that if you resurected during fight. However I'm just choosing to die immediately and still getting them. If you get dragonrot/rot essences no matter what you do when you die, what the hell is the point of ever choosing to just die?

Dragonrot only appears if you die and respawn from a checkpoint.. not when you chose to resurrect.

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't even found a boss yet, but what I'm hearing ITT about them having adds is making me dread it. Aside from that, I'm looking forward to fighting against the sloppy movement and half-baked stealth mechanics later.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Can you unlock aerial stealth kill? e: wait sorta figured it out, it's kinda when you jump at them not on them weird

Controls are really fucking with me. Doesn't feel natural at all. Can't find a remap that works.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
No problem, here is where to find it for you and anyone else who had the same issue:

20190322193246_1gdjkc.jpg

Thank you so much for this, not sure how I even missed it.. now I feel dumb :p

Dragonrot only appears if you die and respawn from a checkpoint.. not when you chose to resurrect.

Sometimes it might be better to just GTFO the fight as soon as you resurrect and get to a shrine to reset. This way no dragonrot.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Game is a doozy. Currently up against that Shinobi Hunter and that's where I hit my first wall (well, I died twice and had to take a break for the night). Need to shift my thought process and practice doing more perfect parries and counters. Seems like a very high risk/high reward system compared to Bloodborne and especially Dark Souls.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
here is a guide (will spoiler tag it)
He is weak to fire. So if you have the Flame Breathing barrel, then use it. Or the Shinobi firecracker if you have it.
You can't sneak up on him. But you can rush him while he is chained and get some hits in.
In general just hit him once or twice and retreat, normally you will just keep hitting an enemy to get is posture and vitality down, not him. Hit and retreat is the best way. The Ogre can't guard and he has a big reach, so attack once or twice and retreat.
Fistfull of ashes and firecrackers stun him, so use them and attack, you can hit him 3 times with this tactic. But remember you can only do this every 15 seconds.
Actually you can sneak up on him to get one deathblow out of the way.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
so i've read that dragonrot can permanently lock you out of sidequests since the way to cure it is limited and you only have a few in the game... Is that true?

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Beat the shinobi hunter and his mooks on my first try. I think I'm loving this game more then any souls game so far. The combat and mobility are amazing.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Few points after couple of hours:

1. Having to hold a button after killed enemy is just pointless mechanic, which you at worst forget to do.

2. Penalties for death are quite high, but since you can't even see on the screen most of the time what you lose, I just don't care what I lose. Death penalties are bullshit mechanic in the first place imo.

3. Ledge grab on X could have been just third A press instead when mantling.

Do you lose acquired skill points on death or only the current progress?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

1. Having to hold a button after killed enemy is just pointless mechanic, which you at worst forget to do.

2. Penalties for death are quite high, but since you can't even see on the screen most of the time what you lose, I just don't care what I lose. Death penalties are bullshit mechanic in the first place imo.

Hard agree on .3

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Played about an hour, I've never used parry and reposte in a souls game so this is quite a learning curve.

Couple really annoying things though:

Why doesn't gold auto collect like the tool ammo?
Camera has an auto adjustment even though that option is off, feel like I'm fighting with it.
There should be an option to return to stealth after an action like death blow, grapple or jump etc, it's annoying everything you do returns you to standing.

To collect gold etc hold square on PS4 / X on Xbox to suck it up!

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Standing right in front of the enemy waiting for him to smack you down just so you can deflect the attack sure is a weird ass feeling specially coming from other From games (which gives me a fuck ton anxiety but I'm loving it). The only thing I'm not ok with is the goddamn frame pacing issues on base PS4 really annoying but luckily my eye will adjust after some time...

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
Can someone explain how this death mechanics works and the punishment for keep on reviving?

Do I get punished for always using it?

ToKre

Mar 11, 2018
so after getting to the ashina castle 3 different areas opened up and i can't decide where to go
i just got to the area with the monks and im getting fisted should go back or is it good for my "level" i only killed 2 real bosses to this point.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So Dragonrot happens every single time you die and respawn? Or only when you choose to resurrect first?

every time you respawn from a checkpoint after a death..

best way to avoid Rot is to fight, and then if you die use resurrect option, and run to the last "prayer spot", Rest and go back and fight.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Better way aside from that is to get him free, then backtrack past the archway gate you come through to lose aggro. The Ogre will reset just stand still on the hill looking over the cliff side, letting you sneak by from the left to get a deathblow in, cutting the fight in half

Haha that's awesome! Thanks!

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna ask once more since everyone is playing now...

If you're playing on basic PS4, how noisy are the fans on a scale from gentle breeze to screaming jet engine?

RE2 and DMC5 had my system SCREAMING and I'm not sure I can put up with it again.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Lol this game is REALLY open, at this moment I've made progression into:

-Reservoir revisited
-Mt Kongo
-Castle Dungeon
-Sunken Valley/ Gun guys fortress
-The main castle (flying tengu shuriken guys)

I have like 6-7 minibosses available and 1 main boss at this moment, this may be even more open than DkS1.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that people view Dragonrot as a punishment instead as merely consequence. You are going to die a lot thus it's clearly an intended narrative-gameplay aspect like insight or tendencies

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's early but I'm feeling like this game is markedly NOT a Soulslike. It plays nothing like Souls or BB. Sure there's bonfires and a hub but that's about it. Everything else seems pretty damn different. This is FROM's take on the action genre.
So Dragonrot happens every single time you die and respawn? Or only when you choose to resurrect first?
This seems to be the million dollar question folks have a hard to answering. I wonder if it's better to not even worry about Dragonrot on your first playthrough.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's early but I'm feeling like this game is markedly NOT a Soulslike. It plays nothing like Souls or BB. Sure there's bonfires and a hub but that's about it. Everything else seems pretty damn different. This is FROM's take on the action genre.

This seems to be the million dollar question folks have a hard to answering. I wonder if it's better to not even worry about Dragonrot on your first playthrough.

a silly question.. is there no manual with this game? I got a digital review code, and I have a review guide.. which is more like an explanation of all the different stuff in the game. It reads like a manual.. and the Rot and the death consequences are all described in the guide.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay this is taking a while to get used to.

First you can't just run into fights, you gotta think about how to approach. Kill archer man first, etc.

Stealth kills are weird, sometimes they hear me other times they don't. Maybe you unlock a skill further down the line that allows you to really take enemies out silently.

Parry system is good, the other system (press O when someones lunges at you) is fucking hard for me. Like I automatically input a direction button because I wanna nope away, but that makes you sidestep and fucks up all your shit.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stealth in this game is...not good. It's passable but I dunno. Not what I would call good stealth mechanics.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

For sure with all three, but especially the third. I had to relearn basic action platforming with this game...

Status
Not open for further replies.