• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Ended up buying this and hope it comes in the post today. I haven't bought a game on the release date for a while now, so wanted that day one feeling! I hope I can cope with the difficulty, but it looks like you can genuinely learn how to play the combat to make it much easier. Bloodborne, in this respect was a fantastic experience once I got to grips with the evade manoveure. I hope Sekiro is similarly interesting enough!

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I usually just panic hit jump and dodge whenever the symbol comes up lol. Not sure how to "unlearn" something like that.
Yeah the hardest part is not to play it like dark souls...although admiteddly I feel the game expect you to have mastered it almost immediatly and every damn "minibosses" ends up being a pain in the rear.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i didnt know about the ressurection stuff and used it every time the 5hrs i played yesterday, do i need to start over lol?

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
This game is kicking my ass but it's not putting me on edge. A big hoop I went through was playing it like it's a souls game but it's just not. Grapple around, bounce off walls, jump over attacks. There's a lot you can do to get an edge on an enemy.

You can upgrade your health pretty early.
The prayer bead from the beginning. Then kill the shinobi hunter at Hirata (Mikiri Counter makes him easy) and chained ogre and the general right after him at Ashina.

I've only fought one real boss yet and they were something else entirely. Sometimes I feel so cool with my new tricks, but this boss has tricks.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad I didn't buy the game after reading some comments here about the difficulty. It's sad, but I don't have the patience anymore even though Sekiro looks really appealing.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
yeah, i won´t read anymore impressions here till i beat the game, seems more like hot take central..at best it is

vVkoPPU.gif

8 main bosses down so far, shit gets wild, really wild

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
So I'm really struggling here. Been at it with that fucking Ogre for about an hour. I finished every Soulsborne game before. This is ridiculously hard. I'm not talking hard, I'm talking Edgelord "letsseehowmanyfuckerswecanbreak" hard for the sake of pissing people off.

I know how u feel. But i managed to take him down in the end. Dont get to greedy with your hits and turn around his right side. I approuched him ala Bloodborne and that worked for me

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Just downed the bastard.
Firecrackers & Parrying him

Yeah I beat him now doing the same thing.

This game is so relentless, you finally overcome a challenge and its immediately followed by something even tougher. I've got about 5 paths open to me and I don't want to go down any of them lol.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I played a bit before leaving for work this morning. My initial impressions are that this game is going to be a special one. I finished the first area, and I really liked what I played. Definitely has a 'Souls vibe, but tweaked in just the right ways.

I'm playing on a One X, and the game just feels great. I didn't notice any slowdown or pop-in. Thought, admittedly, I only played through the first area. So there could still be a Japanese Blighttown hiding somewhere in this game.

The parry window seems to be much more generous than any of the souls games. I was able to get through the first area without dying. But despite the generous window, the combat still felt awesome. I have no doubt the game will get much harder, so the easy parry window doesn't bother me at all for now.

The imagery at the end of the first area was stunning. The art direction in this game is fantastic so far. I played with English voices this morning, because I didn't feel like reading when I was half-asleep. They were pretty good, but I think I'm going to start over when I get home tonight and switch to the Japanese voice for the first playthrough.

Question for those who have played more:
It seems possible to defeat Genichiro at the end of the prologue, but I died to one of his unblockable (?) attacks. Since the game didn't teach you about those up to that point, I didn't know what to do. But I was able to parry him a few times. So I feel like I COULD beat him if I try again. So my question is: is there any reason to do so? Is there an achievement to beat him here? Since there is no loot in this game, I'm not sure if he would drop anything either. I don't want to google anything about this game, for fear of spoilers.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I went into this game basically blind other than the setting and this is not what I expected *at all*, but I like it a lot

When I realised there wasn't a stamina bar I was truly shook

I'm still very early (and extremely bad!), but man this game is fun as hell

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I played a bit before leaving for work this morning. My initial impressions are that this game is going to be a special one. I finished the first area, and I really liked what I played. Definitely has a 'Souls vibe, but tweaked in just the right ways.

I'm playing on a One X, and the game just feels great. I didn't notice any slowdown or pop-in. Thought, admittedly, I only played through the first area. So there could still be a Japanese Blighttown hiding somewhere in this game.

The parry window seems to be much more generous than any of the souls games. I was able to get through the first area without dying. But despite the generous window, the combat still felt awesome. I have no doubt the game will get much harder, so the easy parry window doesn't bother me at all for now.

The imagery at the end of the first area was stunning. The art direction in this game is fantastic so far. I played with English voices this morning, because I didn't feel like reading when I was half-asleep. They were pretty good, but I think I'm going to start over when I get home tonight and switch to the Japanese voice for the first playthrough.

Question for those who have played more:
It seems possible to defeat Genichiro at the end of the prologue, but I died to one of his unblockable (?) attacks. Since the game didn't teach you about those up to that point, I didn't know what to do. But I was able to parry him a few times. So I feel like I COULD beat him if I try again. So my question is: is there any reason to do so? Is there an achievement to beat him here? Since there is no loot in this game, I'm not sure if he would drop anything either. I don't want to google anything about this game, for fear of spoilers.

Played the prologue/tutorial as well, have the same impressions but it did feel like a tutorial in terms of difficulty and design.

I probably died quicker than you in that boss battle but I felt the same, I wonder if it's possible.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol ikr.

I'm not gonna complain about the mechanic yet since we really don't know much about it yet, but at first glance it does seem pretty harsh. My playthrough is going to be a fucking dragonrot central.

You can cure it not so far into the game. Everyone will be ok again. until you start dying again and everyone will start getting Dragonrot again.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
The ogre miniboss definitely feels like the first difficulty spike of the game. The miniboss before it (the general) was pretty doable.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm really struggling here. Been at it with that fucking Ogre for about an hour. I finished every Soulsborne game before. This is ridiculously hard. I'm not talking hard, I'm talking Edgelord "letsseehowmanyfuckerswecanbreak" hard for the sake of pissing people off.

here is a guide (will spoiler tag it)
He is weak to fire. So if you have the Flame Breathing barrel, then use it. Or the Shinobi firecracker if you have it.
You can't sneak up on him. But you can rush him while he is chained and get some hits in.
In general just hit him once or twice and retreat, normally you will just keep hitting an enemy to get is posture and vitality down, not him. Hit and retreat is the best way. The Ogre can't guard and he has a big reach, so attack once or twice and retreat.
Fistfull of ashes and firecrackers stun him, so use them and attack, you can hit him 3 times with this tactic. But remember you can only do this every 15 seconds.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
You can cure it not so far into the game. Everyone will be ok again. until you being dying again and everyone will start getting Dragonrot again.

Ya, I know there are ways to cure it, but everything I've heard so far has pointed to the cures being limited in number, which would mean that sooner or later you'd be permanently fucked.

We'll see how things turn out later, of course.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat that Ogre literally in one try but the boss at the end of the Hirata Estate is killing me.

The ogre was such an infuriating experience for me since I got him down to 1 hit left on my first two tries in a row and then just got stuck on him for like 2 hours straight. Finally got him.. But it was so overwhelmingly hard, so EARLY, that I don't know how to feel about it. It's less a feeling of accomplishment and more of a feeling of just being tired and a bit disgusted with myself and the game. I also felt that way about

the shinobi hunter guy with the spear, which took me a TON of tries and the drunkard which don't get me started.

There's a difference between a healthy soulsy challenge and a game just being cruel right out of the gate

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Am loving the game but it is taking time for me to kick souls habits, definitely harder than Souls/Bloodborne.
For those struggling with the Ogre, listen to the conversation of the two soliders down the bottom of the stairs they actually tell you how to make the fight easy.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
is the english voice acting as inspired as the Soulsborne games? if it's more like "regular" action game voice acting, I'll roll Japanese voice overs.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Man as much as I love this game, they went overboard on the enemy rotation during attacks. Crazy amounts of magnetism, I really hope they tone it down a bit. Feels like the enemies are cheating rather than just being difficult sometimes.

I thought some of the enemies in the souls series were bad, but shit some enemies in this can whip around 360 degrees in the middle of an attack like it's nothing.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
about the rot system..

The Resurrect option, does not cause rot. The real deaths, when you die and start from a checkpoint, they cause rot. So make sure to use the resurrect option instead of dying.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
is the english voice acting as inspired as the Soulsborne games? if it's more like "regular" action game voice acting, I'll roll Japanese voice overs.

It's pretty lame. I'm only playing with English voices so I don't have to check subtitles in case someone talks during combat or whatever.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm having a slightly better time today. Being slower, more methodical, etc. Not that I was rushing before but I really needed to unlearn all of my Souls habits. By the time Dark Souls 3 came out I would just burn through those games. And Sekiro is not having it, lol.
I'm starting to like the stealth even though it's still a bit too limited for my taste.

I kinda regret my purchase tbh, I probably would have had a much better time with DMC5, but that's totally on me, I made the wrong call. I'll keep going though, hoping that it will start to click with me.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I cant remember the last time a sequence genuinely made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up like that one in the valley. Goddamn

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The replayability, with the dragonrot runs, the secrets to be unlocked...the potential....the hidden things to be unearthed.....I've waited years for this!

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm loving having to struggle fight by fight to advance through the environment like when I first played Dark Souls. Feels great to notice how you improve at fighting certain enemies as you repeat and repeat a section, trying to not screw and run out of healing way too early in an area because you will need them later.

Status
Not open for further replies.