• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Those games were never that mechanically demanding, they were however demanding patience and for you to relearn how to play an action adventure game under the rubric of a stamina, slower paced game. But by and large once you figured out that you could beat mostly anything by hugging the right side of any enemy, it was pretty easy.

Yep. At the same time though, trial and error, and pattern recognition was considerably harder than what you would see in most games around the same time on the normal and even "hard" (the new normal) difficulties. They were not really reflex based games as much as figuring out what works and not making dumb mistakes afterwards. I legitimately didn't have any real issues with Demon's after the first two hours other than Flamelurker (fuck that guy), Maneater (fuck them and the camera they rode in on) and parts of world 5-1. Died a few times to the Red Dragon before cheesing it too. Otherwise, I think I only actually died at most two times per boss. The world tendency and more obtuse aspects of the game were where much of the actual difficulty had lain.

NG gameplay is the pinnacle of the genre

The camera sure wasn't.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i am not kidding, this is a masterpiece bar none, there are so many nooks and crannies and different ways and exploration and "minibosses" that kick your ass like no tomorrow till you get the tactic down...this game is completely crazy. it is really like "Ninja Scroll" but as a game. the verticality of the areas is insane. you can feel how much fun they had developing this game.
5irRQLe.gif

Really that's how happy I feel.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
i took friday off from work, first time i think i've ever done that for a game.

can't wait. early impressions in here sound awesome.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so after playing a solid 2 hours, I gotta say Sekiro is the real deal and it's atmosphere is extremely Soulsbourne. It's impeccable. I've played and beat Demons Souls, all three Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, Ninja Gaiden Black, Nioh, you name it I played and beat it. No joke, Sekiro feels harder than every single one of them. And it's all because the window of time you have to decide block, dodge or jump away is miniscule compared to all the others. This is absolutely one of the most difficult games I've ever played. Maybe there will be skills or items later to soften the difficulty, but the opening hours are brutally rough and far harder than any of the opening hours of the other games. It's that crazy. Anyway..... Loving it lol
Very good impressions, I'm so ready for this game.

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I had to unfortunately drop Bloodborne about 7 bosses in, due to real life getting in the way, and Inever made my way back around to it (although I still promise myself that I will one day; loved what I played of it and just based on my partial playthrough, it was one of my definitive experiences of this console generation).

I had to make sure if this wasn't my post lol, as I was writing the same in one of the Bloodborne topics recently. Had the same story

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so after playing a solid 2 hours, I gotta say Sekiro is the real deal and it's atmosphere is extremely Soulsbourne. It's impeccable. I've played and beat Demons Souls, all three Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, Ninja Gaiden Black, Nioh, you name it I played and beat it. No joke, Sekiro feels harder than every single one of them. And it's all because the window of time you have to decide block, dodge or jump away is miniscule compared to all the others. This is absolutely one of the most difficult games I've ever played. Maybe there will be skills or items later to soften the difficulty, but the opening hours are brutally rough and far harder than any of the opening hours of the other games. It's that crazy. Anyway..... Loving it lol
I feel time slowing down.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I was just watching Giantbomb's Quicklook of the game and as Brad is hiding after encountering too many enemies, one just randomly runs off of a cliff to his death unprompted. lol

Oct 28, 2017
One question to the fortunate ones that are already playing this masterpiece, ¿how is the HUD customization? I swear I've read that it is better than in previous games. ¿You cam turn off the enemy markers? ¿There's some "Dynamic HUD" option (like DS3 or the more recent GOW)?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I'm out.

Dec 6, 2017
US
i am not kidding, this is a masterpiece bar none, there are so many nooks and crannies and different ways and exploration and "minibosses" that kick your ass like no tomorrow till you get the tactic down...this game is completely crazy. it is really like "Ninja Scroll" but as a game. the verticality of the areas is insane. you can feel how much fun they had developing this game.

He said Ninja Scroll...the game...and he's playing it and I'm not. Will this monster ever stop his hype assault???

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Goddamn, Friday needs to get here faster.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep. At the same time though, trial and error, and pattern recognition was considerably harder than what you would see in most games around the same time on the normal and even "hard" (the new normal) difficulties. They were not really reflex based games as much as figuring out what works and not making dumb mistakes afterwards. I legitimately didn't have any real issues with Demon's after the first two hours other than Flamelurker (fuck that guy), Maneater (fuck them and the camera they rode in on) and parts of world 5-1. Died a few times to the Red Dragon before cheesing it too. Otherwise, I think I only actually died at most two times per boss. The world tendency and more obtuse aspects of the game were where much of the actual difficulty had lain.

The camera sure wasn't.
The camera could indeed be problematic I wont argue about that. Also fuck flamelurker, I still contend hes one of the hardest bosses in the soulsborne series.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The sort of shit you can miss without being thorough seems staggering, some streamers who played the game for 6 hours didn't notice some of the prosthetic tools from the first hours and played the whole way without what seem pretty essential tools for certain enemies. Tools and skills are a real big factor in how difficult certain type of enemies are. People are gonna suffer legendarily only to find out the easy solution to their problems was around the corner. With so many secrets all over the place all the tutorials and pause buttons in the world won't save people who aren't attentive.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
One question to the fortunate ones that are already playing this masterpiece, ¿how is the HUD customization? I swear I've read that it is better than in previous games. ¿You cam turn off the enemy markers? ¿There's some "Dynamic HUD" option (like DS3 or the more recent GOW)?

Always visible, auto hide, auto hide partially and off, afair.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017

are the checkpoints more forgiving atleast? this feels way too crazy difficult as it is lol.

Oct 25, 2017
The sort of shit you can miss without being thorough seems staggering, some streamers who played the game for 6 hours didn't notice some of the prosthetic tools from the first hours and played the whole way without what seem pretty essential tools for certain enemies. Tools and skills are a real big factor in how difficult certain type of enemies are. People are gonna suffer legendarily only to find out the easy solution to their problems was around the corner. With so many secrets all over the place all the tutorials and pause buttons in the world won't save people who aren't attentive.
Yeah, love the push for exploration. You will basically have to or it will just make the game that much harder.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like truly Tenchu got Demon's Souls treatment right there.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
lol, i´ve had the "dark souls effect": was lying in bed, thinking about the areas and started the game again to really find another way that i thought of when going through the areas in my mind. crazy shit ;-)

so, i need to go to sleep now, my eyes are tired as fuck, was a long session

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
are the checkpoints more forgiving atleast? this feels way too crazy difficult as it is lol.

There are more checkpoints than in any other From game and only a few mandatory fights between checkpoints. Dying doesn't hurt as much as in the Soulsborne series.

But it's still extremely hard. I have the Demon's and Bloodborne platinum. I finished Dark Souls a hundred times. I love challenging games, love Ninja Gaiden Vanilla, love parrying in Rising, love dashing last-moment in Platinum games. And I'm not sure if I'm able to beat this. And that's a great feeling somehow. Haha. (But seriously, I need to beat this. It's just too good.)

Oct 25, 2017
There are more checkpoints than in any other From game and only a few mandatory fights between checkpoints. Dying doesn't hurt as much as in the Soulsborne series.

But it's still extremely hard. I have the Demon's and Bloodborne platinum. I finished Dark Souls a hundred times. I love challenging games, love Ninja Gaiden Vanilla, love parrying in Rising, love dashing last-moment in Platinum games. And I'm not sure if I'm able to beat this. And that's a great feeling somehow. Haha. (But seriously, I need to beat this. It's just too good.)
This difficulty comments though.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

agreed. simply paying attention, & thoroughly exploring, should likely prove to be indispensable for those of us less skilled. i know it's what i'll be doing :) ...

otoh, the impressions in here continue to convince me that there will be a difficulty level patch incoming down the road. just about all off-line single-player action games have them, & the game being so difficult as to discourage sales benefits no one, including from...

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
agreed. simply paying attention, & thoroughly exploring, should likely prove to be indispensable for those of us less skilled. i know it's what i'll be doing :) ...

otoh, the impressions in here continue to convince me that there will be a difficulty level patch incoming down the road. just about all off-line single-player action games have them, & the game being so difficult as to discourage sales benefits no one, including from...
Why would you think this would hurt sales? And nah, Miyazaki is a man who wants players to experience a difficulty that gives a singular experience which is why he doesn't make difficulty modes.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
All collectors editions are sold out in Germany and scalpers selling them for 190€ at ebay...

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
Hopefully 4k on ps4 pro because those graphics look like an early ps4 game.
it's 1080p on the Pro, and while they're not the most technically advanced games, their art direction is second to none. I think Sekiro looks fucking stunning.
anyone have any experience with the English dub? I'm probably gonna go Japanese audio/English subs, but I've really liked From's english dubs in the past, so I'm curious
It's their best English dub to date.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

This is the same argument for "difficulty options" in their previous games. I don't think they are actually chasing AAA numbers either where they need to sell 8 million for it to be considered "a success". It also didn't stop Bloodborne, which was a PS4 exclusive from being wildly popular either.

They've already built up a reputation over the past decade. That's going to go a long way towards the initial sales.

NGB's camera is all about constantly resetting it with RT instead of trying to manipulate with the stick. It's unique, but clicks with me pretty well imo.

I never used the stick for the camera, and was constantly having to use the trigger. That is what made it terrible though. You had to pretty much reset it continually, and it got tiresome, especially during a few particular boss fights. It's been a while since I actually played Black, so I don't remember if they actually improved it much at all, but in the vanilla version, and using the old, Dreamcast wannabe controller, it sucked bad. The camera added a really false difficulty.

Last edited:

convo

Oct 25, 2017

Killing stuff in this game comes down to the posture system rather than depleting health in increments, and balancing that down to make stuff easier seems rather complex. The easy mode i envision is an on-screen arrow pointing towards secrets that make your chracter stronger.
And in regard to difficulty
there is a way to make enemies hit harder but drop more stuff, like an extra hard mode for anyone who wants it extra spicy
The thing about this game seems more like the onboarding is way easier to understand but the ways to alleviate the pain is to explore as much as possible.
Enemies aren't gonna get easier with less health, they'd have to turn down their speed and moveset but the actual way to make them easier is to have the matching tool for the job.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has me in maximum hype, can anyone explain how using a VPN to get it at Japan time works? I just get the trial of NordVPN change my location and it unlocks at midnight japan for me?

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was just watching Giantbomb's Quicklook of the game and as Brad is hiding after encountering too many enemies, one just randomly runs off of a cliff to his death unprompted. lol
I'm glad I watched some streams today, Brad is pretty bad (and often wrong about some of its aspects) at showing this game off. OR would do a better job next week after more time with it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I watched some streams today, Brad is pretty bad (and often wrong about some of its aspects) at showing this game off. OR would do a better job next week after more time with it.
Yeah, you can tell they knew fuck all about it before today. Jeff seemed pretty impressed when Brad did a deathblow jumping down on a guy. They all seemed pretty up on it, though.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
this game man, just wow. I think I'm ready to say it now; this is the best game From has ever made.

the world design, combat loop, player progression, atmosphere, it's all fucking impeccable.

Miyazaki is next level.

I can't wait for more people to play this masterpiece.

Dec 6, 2017
US
The difficulty comments have me shaking in my boots just a little but love the idea of "needing the right tool for the job" to deal with difficult encounters more efficiently.

That kind of emphasis on exploration and real reward is managing to push my hype from Sick Skills to Smokin Sexy Style (sorry, I had to do it).

I'm Mr. Slow Pace And OCD Exploration so I can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.