• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the Ashina are trying to protect themselves from some kind of threat and need the Young Lord's blood for something. There's also that yellow fungus growing on certain enemies and bosses that I've been curious about.
ksH4RU4.jpg
Why do I have a feeling some crazy shit is about to go down in this game.

Is this the same golden color of the wolf's eye?

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid that this game will be too hard for me.. some couple of bosses in Souls I needed some co op to help me out.

I'm actually thinking the same, but mostly because of the parry system.
I was able to beat everything thus far (all of the Souls/BB games) but mostly without ever learning how to parry.
This first boss is kinda made for parries, the normal smashing just takes too long and she has 3 health bars.

And it makes sense, BB was a direct answer to the Shield and Hide play style that Miyazaki was not a fan of, so this is taking it even more to another extreme.

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to beat everything thus far (all of the Souls/BB games) but mostly without ever learning how to parry.
This first boss is kinda made for parries, the normal smashing just takes too long and she has 3 health bars.

And it makes sense, BB was a direct answer to the Shield and Hide play style that Miyazaki was not a fan of, so this is taking it even more to another extreme.
Don't forget that they've shown a ninja tool that's like an umbrella shield in the E3 trailer. The focus is definitely on parrying, but I think they're specifically creating tools to help onboard fans of their previous works.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
there aren't difficulty settings, are there? and is this going to be as challenging as souls/bloodborne?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Man, this game looks amazing and I can hardly wait. I just wish (I know, I know) it had at least a character editor or gender select, so I could go with my Souls lady character tradition.

Anyhow, day one, obviously.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm as big a souls fan there is, but I've been pretty uninterested in this until now.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really wonder how long will it be???

Bloodborne wasn't that long (20 to 30 hour) and that is will skill level and everything. This one, once you will play through it for a first time, how much replayability will it have?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I wish there was a way to replay boss fights without having to start a new playthrough every time. Would make practicing so much easier.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

I don't know, don't wanna spend 60$ and leave it on the shelf because I'm not that badass at this game.

I'll wait for the reviews and Era feedback on difficulty before pre ordering... Gonna get DmC for now.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, a thread about Ela on Era? Awesome! Been watching his streams for years now.

Watched the VOD earlier. The game looks awesome. I can't wait to play it and then see how terrible I am in comparison to him.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

The parrying here (LB at impact) seems significantly easier than it was in the souls games (which was two button presses with animation lead up) or in Bloodborne (anticipate the apex of a swing + account for bullet travel time). Considering how deliberate all the swings look in Sekiro it's probably gonna be not too bad until you hit up some enemy dual-wielding sais or something.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
I saw some stuff earlier from the stream and really enjoyed the way he experiments. It was pretty fascinating.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I forsee there being threads here about how "Sekiro is too damn hard", "Sekiro needs difficulty levels/summoning" etc. It looks brutal.

Bah. Not everything is for everyone. The whole "I paid money I'm entitled to an easy mode!" crowd can keep crying. Miyazaki ain't got any time for that shit.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Feels like people are too focused on the parry that they forgotten their other major advantage- dodging.

Your dodges are fast and not limited by a resource

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Feels like people are too focused on the parry that they forgotten their other major advantage- dodging.

Your dodges are fast and not limited by a resource
Admittedly I haven't been watching or reading too much Sekiro stuff so correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to parry a whole combo string to get the counter-kill move? If so it seems like the game really wants you to parry whenever possible.

Jul 20, 2018
Admittedly I haven't been watching or reading too much Sekiro stuff so correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to parry a whole combo string to get the counter-kill move? If so it seems like the game really wants you to parry whenever possible.

No. Parrying fills the enemy's posture meter, but so does attacking. The more damage you do to them, the slower their posture recovers. It's probably a good idea to mix the two. You definitely don't have to successively parry full combos, but it looks super rad when you do.

MrTex

Dec 15, 2017
Has there been any information about the PC version? I'm not sure yet if I'm getting this for PC or PS4

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

No, you have what is essentially a stun meter that you build up from either attacking or parrying. Doesn't matter how you get it up as long as you do it.

Fill it up to full and you can instantly remove one of the boss' life bar.

And you can jump and grapple.

I'm gonna be Spider-Man I don't care.

Yes but the jump doesn't look like it can clear the large foes, and grappling is contextual.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
No. Parrying fills the enemy's posture meter, but so does attacking. The more damage you do to them, the slower their posture recovers. It's probably a good idea to mix the two. You definitely don't have to successively parry full combos, but it looks super rad when you do.
Ah, ok, thanks for the info.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I've really not read much about this one, but it looks really good having watched some of this video. Interesting that they don't have the explicit RPG mechanics. Is this supposed to be more an action/adventure game in the vein of Zelda or Metroid, where you have horizontal power growth in terms of obtaining new abilities/gadgets which let you explore new areas?

Oct 25, 2017
So I've really not read much about this one, but it looks really good having watched some of this video. Interesting that they don't have the explicit RPG mechanics. Is this supposed to be more an action/adventure game in the vein of Zelda or Metroid, where you have horizontal power growth in terms of obtaining new abilities/gadgets which let you explore new areas?
Right, more akin to that. This has no stats, no armor, no MP elements, etc... It is just a straightforward action/adventure title with trinkets (the prosthetic arm, grappling hook, etc..) to aid you along the way.

Jul 20, 2018
I can't imagine Sekiro would be much harder since they'd have to balance for no summons. Plus no more low-level runs, just one static difficulty.

Nah, you still "level up" your character with a skill tree and upgrade your health and posture and whatnot. You could probably still do a run without doing any of that and make it a lot harder for yourself.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

Yup pretty much, not sure areas will be non accesable if your missing a certain prosthetic or skill. I think it will work as From's previous games with key items (just a guess).

What I've read from the GI coverage regarding systems can be summed into.

- EXP(killing enemies) used for skill tree progression.

- Seperate crafting system for prosthetics by finding crafting materials out in the world or killing certain enemies/bosses.

- Couple of unique items to raise posture/health bars permanently.

- Gold currency to buy general items from NPC's.

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I can't imagine Sekiro would be much harder since they'd have to balance for no summons. Plus no more low-level runs, just one static difficulty.

Because everyone goes into a fight with the same tool set, the devs can design more challenging encounters base on that premise.

They can even get creative with the mechanics beyond just a straight forward brawl since everyone would be carrying the same prosthetic arms.

Oct 31, 2017
Game looks amazing but I'm scared that I'll end up giving up on it like Bloodborne. IDGAF what people say, these games should have a difficulty option.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Watching Ela stream this has got me interested. I wasn't a huge fan of DS3, this looks a lot more fluid.