• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other members.
happy to see from win, but literally any other game they've made (even dark souls 2) would have deserved it way more (back when they released obv). sekiro is one of the worst games they've ever made, by a wide margin. in my opinion, of course.
Good thing the rest of the industry doesn't use your opinion. Seems like just another troll account anyway

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People angry that your game didn't win are trying to portray it as a "lifetime achievement" award is salt.

Sekiro won game of the year because it's an awesome game. End of discussion.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Oh shit From finally gets the recognition they deserve. Though I can't help to think they won because there was no real GoTY bait this year.
Maybe death stranding had it been good, bit that wasn't the case.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Man this year kind of blew. Sekiro was alright but it's like their weakest game by quite a bit. The competition' was so wack I'm not that surprised.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Reused bosses
Reused areas
Useless skills
Poorly implemented upgrading system (you need at least 4 walkthroughs to learn/use all the skills)
NG+ without any new additions
The use of emblems (this was patched)

And as a personal appreciation, I think that the combat it's really repetitive after a few hours. And gets worse because the lack of any new weapon.

At least for me a game with that kind of problems it's not a GOTY.
I wholeheartedly agree, but I feel like you won't get many allies in this thread.

I'm glad From finally got some recognition, but it was for their weakest offering this current-gen.

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg
LMAO

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I saw them giant spiders bruh, it ain't happening lmao

To give some perspective, I'm barely able to handle Deepnest
Oh well, not much you can do about that then. Hopefully Elden Ring will be giant spider free.

And spiders don't really bother me that much but Deepnest still gets me really anxious. It's something about how claustrophobic and just teeming with life it is.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
happy to see from win, but literally any other game they've made (even dark souls 2) would have deserved it way more (back when they released obv). sekiro is one of the worst games they've ever made, by a wide margin. in my opinion, of course.

Out of curiosity, why do you say that?

FWIW, there was no way DS2 would have won against TLOU or even something like Bioshock Infinite (popular with the critics) in 2013. I would say this was the perfect year for a Miyazaki game to shine given the competition.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well, not much you can do about that then. Hopefully Elden Ring will be giant spider free.

And spiders don't really bother me that much but Deepnest still gets me really anxious. It's something about how claustrophobic and just teeming with life it is.

I mean, I'm not a total lost cause. I'm gonna play Fallen Order real soon which I know has em. But I'm aware that Soulsborne games have more oomph presentation wise, so I stay far away lol

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Out of curiosity, why do you say that?

FWIW, there was no way DS2 would have won against TLOU or even something like Bioshock Infinite (popular with the critics) in 2013. I would say this was the perfect year for a Miyazaki game to shine given the competition.

Dark Souls 2 was 2014. Up against Dragon Age Inquisition and Shadow of Mordor.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol what a shit take. Did you start with Dark Souls? They've had older games than that. Sekiro is easily one of theit best works, it's not even comparable to their older works.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Sekiro was fantastic. Well deserved! So hyped to see what they do next with Elden Ring.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
I'm pretty sure there quite a bit of objective metrics to rate who won the game of year, and plenty probably comes close.

But among all the list, Sekiro is the only game which the ending brings you a glorious high, and encapsulate all the game offers in that one climatic confrontation. You knew it is ending, you look forward to it, and you are satisfied with the victory clinched.

That's why it is well deserved.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Reused bosses
Reused areas
Useless skills
Poorly implemented upgrading system (you need at least 4 walkthroughs to learn/use all the skills)
NG+ without any new additions
The use of emblems (this was patched)

And as a personal appreciation, I think that the combat it's really repetitive after a few hours. And gets worse because the lack of any new weapon.

At least for me a game with that kind of problems it's not a GOTY.
Except it's GOTY. Too bad too sad.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
My first FromSoft game, and my favourite game this year. I totally endorse this, and I was secretly hoping it'd take this with the votes split with Death Stranding and Control.

Congrats to everyone at FromSoft, and I hope to see more amazing games from you in the future.

Meantime, I need to find the time to play the Dark Souls trilogy I've amassed over the past few years....

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if they'll make a sequel of Sekiro. I just need more of that gameplay

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
And that's your opinion. An opinion that been proven wrong by the

Except it's GOTY. Too bad too sad.
It's just a dumb list from a salty person who didn't enjoy the game and doesn't understand why people like it so much. Games cannot only be measured in how many flaws they have. My favorite games of all time all have some big flaws. I can find flaws in every game in existence. That's not the way it works.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, obviously I'm talking about their most recent games lmao. I know games like King's Field exist. I guess I should have been more clear.

I just don't like Sekiro because it throws away everything that I loved about Dark Souls and their previous games ... mostly the character customization, RPG mechanics, large number of builds and a story told completely through level design and not cutscenes. If you like the game, good for you. I'm not trying to change your opinion.

Good thing the rest of the industry doesn't use your opinion. Seems like just another troll account anyway
I'm sorry for saying how I feel. I'll try not to offend you next time.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
This thread is way more civil than the TGA thread, which had some "As long as Death Stranding didn't win" type of petty posts.

I'm sad that RE 2 didn't win a thing as it's my personal goty, but honestly congrats to Sekiro, it is deserved.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Great game. My 2nd favorite of the year after DS.

And also there goes any chance Elden Ring has next year lol

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I voted for Smash solely based on the fact that it was the only game nominated that I played. But I probably would've voted Sekiro if Smash wasn't on there. I want to check Sekiro but there's too many other games on my backlog.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
It's not a GOTY caliber game to me. I found it to start strong but eventually the repetition grew old and the levels didn't offer much meaningful exploration or discovery. Souls games are much more memorable experiences.

Still, a solid game that deserves it and I can see why it is GOTY for some.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still think Smash deserved it because it is literally Video Games: The Game, but this is fine too. Sekiro was terrific.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Well well, I was wrong, and now I guess I need to play it. Is there an easy mode? What's the best version?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The most deserving winner. Favorite game of the year. Best Miyazaki game too.

HxnqJyz.gif

OMO7Maf.gif

rGbEZFt.gif

2V0Gp8t.gif

credit to SunhiLegend for the gifs