• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Tagged as rumor despite Lance's credibility just in case, but it seems pretty likely that at least for some games it will work like this. Interestingly enough, one of the replies seems to suggest that Dark Souls 3 won't hit the 60FPS mark on PS5:

Unsure about DS3, but Sekiro was one game that went up to mostly 60FPS on Series X through BC without any optimization on the From side of things, so it's disappointing if the same isn't the case on PS5 at least for some games.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I guess that's what the PS4 compatibility page means with "with system update" when they talk about being able to run older games ?

What would happen if you don't update and try and run Sekiro ? It won't run at 60 FPS or not at all ?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
No 60FPS in DS3? Why? That game can run at 1080p 60 on an old i5 and a GTX 1060.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a chance that this patch has more to do with uncapping the 1080p resolution? instead of 60fps?

I think I read it ran at 1080p on PS4 Pro.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I mean... as long as it gets there, i dont care how it does it
For Sekiro, yeah, it doesn't make a difference, but it gets iffier for older games that are no longer actively supported. Hell, going by that comment it doesn't seem like DS3 is getting patched at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like games might need a small update to enable "boost mode", might run at the same speed as PS4/Pro otherwise.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I believe him. I noticed it very odd on the PlayStation channel they had a 4k60 video of the new sekiro and they never uploaded something that HQ before. so it's prob true.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all better temper your Bloodborne expectations. Just saying.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Platform warring and trolling; prior bans for similar behavior
Xbox simply does BC better. If only Sony cared

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... as long as it gets there, i dont care how it does it
It doesn't bode well for those games that won't be patched though. It's even weirder since it's already uncapped, meaning it should hit that 60fps easy provided that it has enough specs headroom.

My guess is that by default they are emulating "PS4/Pro" specs within PS5 directly.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Doesn't sound believable... The part of DS3 anyways. That game on PS4 Pro already run at a most 45-50 fps. If PS5 can't get the game to 60 fps, then it's running the game at a PS4 Pro profile, and not native with boost mode.

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
I think people should just get used to this by now. The hardware is favoring the new Xbox slightly, but i'm guessing it's still hitting in the 50's ranges. This thread is going to be crazy though haha.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
It could be a case of the game having compatibility issues when in Boost mode, and thus requiring a patch to be able to run that way.

Remember, as far as we know, that when the PS5 runs in PS4 Pro compatibility mode, it's basically running as a PS4 Pro (36 Compute Units at 911 Mhz) so performance would be comparable to a Pro.

No 60FPS in DS3? Why? That game can run at 1080p 60 on an old i5 and a GTX 1060.

Presumably running it in Boost mode breaks something so it has to run in PS4 Pro compatibility mode.

My guess is that without a patch Sekiro runs in PS4 Pro mode on PS5. That is why it can't hit the framerates without a patch.

Precisely.

Bloodsent

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that without a patch Sekiro runs in PS4 Pro mode on PS5. That is why it can't hit the framerates without a patch.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
For Sekiro, yeah, it doesn't make a difference, but it gets iffier for older games that are no longer actively supported. Hell, going by that comment it doesn't seem like DS3 is getting patched at all.

It doesn't bode well for those games that won't be patched though. It's even weirder since it's already uncapped, meaning it should hit that 60fps easy provided that it has enough specs headroom.

My guess is that by default they are emulating "PS4/Pro" specs within PS5 directly.

Hmm true.
Guess we'll see

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It could be a case of the game having compatibility issues when in Boost mode, and thus requiring a patch to be able to run that way.

Remember, as far as we know, that when the PS5 runs in PS4 Pro compatibility mode, it's basically running as a PS4 Pro (36 Compute Units at 911 Mhz) so performance would be comparable to a Pro.
This.

XSX backwards compatibility happens to be on another level and will always more easily do this stuff.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Maybe boost mode is a system wide feature, but only some games activate the flag, or boost mode isn't ready for launch, similar to how it came 4 months late on PS4 Pro.

xneezy

Jul 6, 2018
That's a bummer. Sekiro, DS3 and Bloodborne were the three games i was hoping to play at 60fps on PS5.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
What does this mean exactly? Does Xbox automatically set a framerate cap to 60 or 120 even if the game doesn't do it itself?
The way BC works on the Series X, games just automatically take advantage of the new console's power. In the case of Sekiro or Monster Hunter World, where the cap is at 60 but the game normally hovers around 30, this extra power alone is enough to lock them to 60 or close to it with no input from the devs needed. There's also the case of Fallout 4 (and presumably other unannounced games) where MS' own BC team worked on removing the game's framerate cap without the need of the dev's assistance.

Now, for the PS5, the same behavior was presumed. But this could mean different things:
  • For BC games to take advantage of PS5 clocks, they need to be patched
  • It does work the same way on PS5, but Sekiro and other From games are the exception
Going by the sheer amount of games that are getting patched, especially Sony first party games, I'm leaning more towards the first one. We'll see soon, anyways, the console launches in two weeks.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
DS3 is probably going to be one of this things that could be fixed with a 512KB patch, but it won't and it'll be stuck at 1080p with arrythmic frame times until the end of time. It'll also be 900p forever on Xbox.

I'm guessing without a patch it runs at 1080p 60fps (PS4Pro mode).... but with this patch, 4K 60fps.

It was actually 1800p checkerboarded with variable fps on the Pro. I suspect it'll remain that way, just with an actual stable frame rate this time.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Yea, this pretty much confirms that it would have just been running in PS4 Pro compatibility mode without the patch which would be why it wouldn't be getting to 60fps. The patch allows the game to take advantage of more of the PS5 and match what the Series X is doing without having to be touched.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Series X had bc enabled in batches so I'm assuming PS5 just had them all enabled from the get-go and will have an update by launch to smooth things out. I don't think this is much of a big deal, but we'll see

Oct 30, 2017
It's confusing.

For a game like DS3 doing 45-55fps on PS4 Pro, are we really expecting the exact same frame rate? Seems like they would have to go out of their way to not be able to let the frame rate increase.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, this pretty much confirms that it would have just been running in PS4 Pro compatibility mode without the patch which would be why it wouldn't be getting to 60fps. The patch allows the game to take advantage of more of the PS5 and match what the Series X is doing without having to be touched.
It's probably the easiest way to offer BC to all PS4 games without much work. Xbox has a dedicated team for BC, they're putting in more work to make this all seamless

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the embargo on BC games doesn't last too long. Really curious how boost mode compares and how it works. If games need to be patched to use it that's gonna mean a lot of BC games aren't going to benefit from PS5 hardware. It could explain why Sony Santa Monica made a tweet about it for God of War thinking about it.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully this is a good thing.

When I saw the XSX version dropping frequently in the DF footage I feared for the PS5 version (even though the PS4 Pro version actually had better performance compared to One X due to the lower resolution).

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Welp there goes the Bloodborne dream. If Pro didn't get a patch, I doubt PS5 will.
No game with frame rate caps at 30 is getting to 60fps without a patch on Series X either. doesn't really change anything. And what I mean by that is, it was always going to need a patch, and it wasn't going to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.