• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your ranking of the Fromsoft games released in the previous gen

• Bloodborne > Dark Souls 3 > Sekiro

Votes: 600 33.7%
  • Bloodborne > Sekiro > Dark Souls 3

Votes: 573 32.2%
  • Dark Souls 3 > Bloodborne > Sekiro

Votes: 144 8.1%
  • Dark Souls 3 > Sekiro > Bloodborne

Votes: 41 2.3%
  • Sekiro > Bloodborne > Dark Souls 3

Votes: 322 18.1%
  • Sekiro > Dark Souls 3 > Bloodborne

Votes: 101 5.7%

• Total voters

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I agree the last two games have been a bit worse than the predecessor, but we are basically grinding axes over tiny grievances. All three are amazing games

Res

Oct 25, 2017
You know From is doing something right if you think sekiro and DS2 are great games, but they're still the "weakest".

GageHaematic

Nov 5, 2020
South Africa
I vote BB > Sekiro > Dark Souls 3. I found Sekiro super satisfying to play and I love the setting, but it can't beat out Bloodborne for me.

I think the only problem I have with it is that the Dragonrot and punishment for death feel kind of pointless. Like they just included it because it's a FromSoftware game.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro loses some points for the smaller scope and, as a consequence of that, variety, but what's there is on par with the best of their other games.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Here's how I'd put it:

S-Tier From games: Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro
A-Tier From games: Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2

I haven't played Sekiro yet (Will some time this year) but I mostly agree with this list. I would take out Sekiro since I haven't played it and put Demon's Souls up there.

bickieditches

Aug 5, 2018
Oh man, I loved DS1 and DS3 but have not tried Sekiro yet due to claims of it being so hard. I think this thread has made me reconsider.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Sekiro is a bad game or the greatest game. It's a good game with a lot of flaws and jank.

The game has no real feeling of progression. No matter how many booty beads you collect, bosses can still 2hko you. Increasing your attack power is bearly felt in-game. Throwing shit down from a high place is hilariously awful. It's like nobody play-tested this.

Music is forgettable as hell. I'm trying to mod the music in the PC version.

That said, atmosphere? You guys serious with this Soulsborne shit? I wanted to get into the Soulsborne games, but every game looks like you're in a dark dungeon, dark castle, dark cavern, dark sewer, dark street, dark lab, dark shitstain river, dark forest and dark god knows what. There's only 1 atmosphere in these games and it's dark and depressing. Sekiro has snowy mountains, a Japanese castle, beautiful vistas, dark dungeons, serene gardens, and getting anally fisted by a ghost.

The other thing that turned me off about the Soulborne games is the combat. It just looks so slow and clunky. I admit I never played these games, but I've seen footage and screens from these games, and looking at the way they work tell me they're not for me. The same reason I played Sekiro was from look at the footage and watching the combat. Everything looks fast and tight with a good bit of depth. I played the game and I can say the combat is fast and tight with a good bit of depth. It's so satisfying when you master the combat.

If something it was BB the game that introduced the "all bosses must change during the fight" thing.

I hope you mean this as a From Soft thing, cause you're ignoring 20 years of video game history if you really think BB introduced bosses that change their attacks after losing a certain amount of health.

During Battles you are not allowed to respond to an Enemies Action any other way than what the Developer intends for that specific Action.

This is BS.

This is the exact same move and I dealt with it in 3 different ways. This is just off the top of my head since trying to record all of this stuff take a lot of time.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think Sekiro is a bad game or the greatest game. It's a good game with a lot of flaws and jank.

The game has no real feeling of progression. No matter how many booty beads you collect, bosses can still 2hko you. Increasing your attack power is bearly felt in-game. Throwing shit down from a high place is hilariously awful. It's like nobody play-tested this.

Music is forgettable as hell. I'm trying to mod the music in the PC version.

That said, atmosphere? You guys serious with this Soulsborne shit? I wanted to get into the Soulsborne games, but every game looks like you're in a dark dungeon, dark castle, dark cavern, dark sewer, dark street, dark lab, dark shitstain river, dark forest and dark god knows what. There's only 1 atmosphere in these games and it's dark and depressing. Sekiro has snowy mountains, a Japanese castle, beautiful vistas, dark dungeons, serene gardens, and getting anally fisted by a ghost.

The other thing that turned me off about the Soulborne games is the combat. It just looks so slow and clunky. I admit I never played these games, but I've seen footage and screens from these games, and looking at the way they work tell me they're not for me. The same reason I played Sekiro was from look at the footage and watching the combat. Everything looks fast and tight with a good bit of depth. I played the game and I can say the combat is fast and tight with a good bit of depth. It's so satisfying when you master the combat.

I hope you mean this as a From Soft thing, cause you're ignoring 20 years of video game history if you really think BB introduced bosses that change their attacks after losing a certain amount of health.

This is BS.

This is the exact same move and I dealt with it in 3 different ways. This is just off the top of my head since trying to record all of this stuff take a lot of time.

I absolutely disagree with the feeling of progression

First of all, you're constantly given new Prosthetics or new materials you can use to upgrade them

Secondly there's like, what, 6 skill trees?

Also, if there's a boss you're stuck on, come back when your Attack Power is increased by two and tell me that you don't feel a difference. Yeah it's impossible to just lazily 1-hit a boss but attack power can make a significant difference in your vitality and posture damage and make fights go by a lot faster.

Ultimately yes the stuff you can upgrade can't make the game EASY, but it can make it EASIER

Do I wish they leaned a liiiittle heavier on the RPG aspects so I could have an easier time with some bosses? Yeah. But I absolutely disagree with the game having no feeling of progression

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Out of the Poll Lineup, I have to agree about Sekiro being the weakest. I appreciate it doing something different, but I don't have an itch to go back to it like I do actual Souls games.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Ehh I prefer Bloodborne and DS3 because I love the worlds better, but Sekiro has the most satisfying combat I've ever experienced in a game.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely disagree with the feeling of progression

First of all, you're constantly given new Prosthetics or new materials you can use to upgrade them

Secondly there's like, what, 6 skill trees?

Also, if there's a boss you're stuck on, come back when your Attack Power is increased by two and tell me that you don't feel a difference. Yeah it's impossible to just lazily 1-hit a boss but attack power can make a significant difference in your vitality and posture damage and make fights go by a lot faster.

Ultimately yes the stuff you can upgrade can't make the game EASY, but it can make it EASIER

That's why I only mentioned HP and attack power. I know attack can matter, I've seen videos on people with 99 attack power plowing through bosses. In a regular game, you get a better feeling of growth when attacking peons, but not really with bosses since damaging their posture is faster. With HP, it really doesn't matter. The longer your HP bar is, the more the boss shaves off.

Now that you mentioned the skill tree, it reminds me how useless the long combo attacks skills are. At most you'll get in 1 hit (2 with Ichimonji double) with the rest of the combo being a waste of time. Like High Monk or Senpo Leaping Kick is only the first hit that's effective against a sweep attack with the rest of the combo being useless filler that you're better off not using.

amplituhedr0n

Oct 28, 2017
Over 20% thought Sekiro was the best in the series?!?

I played it on PS4 Pro and the constant frame stuttering was driving me crazy.

It starts at 40 and then shoots up to 60 and then down to 25. Just up and down the whole game. I understand that theoretically 40 is better than 30, but the instability gave me a headache and I walked away.

20% of you guys must be all PC all the time. Or maybe fans of the Ninja theme?

Dark Souls 3 played like a greatest hits game and didn't really have any major weaknesses that I could come up with. Maybe it lacks freshness, but as a gameplay experience and as a video game, there's not much else that even comes close in terms of how hard From Software worked to give and give and give. It got my vote.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Sekiro yet. I voted for BB->DS3->Sekiro. I'll get Sekiro when it's around $20

Jul 26, 2018
Just beat the two Apes... It's pretty fucking good. Might climb over DS3 and be right below BB when the credits roll...(Please, God let me be able to get the credits to roll)

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Sekiro is sitting right behind Bloodborne. Many believe there isn't the same replay value in comparison to Soulsborne titles, but I disagree. I get tremendous replayability abusing every boss and enemy that had my ass on the first playthrough.

Last time I played, I took down the final boss in one try. Felt good lol, like a real mic drop.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This is BS.

Technically you can deal with that in 3 ways (yes you can parry quite a few unblockables, including Snake Eyes grab weirdly enough) but you're really meant to Mikiri counter on those moves. It crushes the posture meter while parrying barely makes it go up and the dodge only gets you out the way and they might be a little too out of range for a good punish.
Now the mikiri isn't forced because it's an upgrade and the game needs to be playable without the upgrades so the other options exist but that's clearly the optimal strategy

Lol @ the Shaggy mod though

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Over 20% thought Sekiro was the best in the series?!?

I played it on PS4 Pro and the constant frame stuttering was driving me crazy.

It starts at 40 and then shoots up to 60 and then down to 25. Just up and down the whole game. I understand that theoretically 40 is better than 30, but the instability gave me a headache and I walked away.

20% of you guys must be all PC all the time. Or maybe fans of the Ninja theme?

Dark Souls 3 played like a greatest hits game and didn't really have any major weaknesses that I could come up with. Maybe it lacks freshness, but as a gameplay experience and as a video game, there's not much else that even comes close in terms of how hard From Software worked to give and give and give. It got my vote.

Playing it again on PS5 is a revelation.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
DARK-SOULS_-REMASTERED_20180527041540.png
DSLj0njUIAARd9p.jpg

DARK-SOULS_-REMASTERED_20180528015346.png
DARK-SOULS_-REMASTERED_20180526013904.png

DARK-SOULS-II_-Scholar-of-the-First-Sin_20151014014938.png
DARK-SOULS-II_-Scholar-of-the-First-Sin_20151013230531.png

DARK-SOULS-II_-Scholar-of-the-First-Sin_20151013233925.png
DARK-SOULS-II_-Scholar-of-the-First-Sin_20151014004143.png

DARK-SOULS-II_-Scholar-of-the-First-Sin_20160917015232.png
DARK-SOULS-III_20160502170820.png

DARK-SOULS-III_20161028001114.png
DARK-SOULS-III_20170329001427.png

DARK-SOULS-III_20170401005117.png
DARK-SOULS-III_20161103225609.png

Nah.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Out of the Poll Lineup, I have to agree about Sekiro being the weakest. I appreciate it doing something different, but I don't have an itch to go back to it like I do actual Souls games.

Didn't you post recently saying you never actually engaged with the combat system, instead beating all the bosses by running around and poking them to death? I doubt I'd want to go back to the game either if I did that.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Total blasphemy.

Shits on DS2&3 from a great height.

From's holy trinity consists of DS1 , BB, Sekiro.

DeS is a great classic and a fountain head of ideas.

DS2 and DS3 are forgettable and neglible by comparison. They were relatively uninspired "checklisted products" made to fulfill Bamco's contract.

I am shocked that anyone would actually prefer DS3's tired, inferior rehash over Sekiro's ingenuity.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I found Sekiro to be a slog through a multitude of ugly environments. The high praise for the combat I just don't get because the so many of the best fights still suffer from the camera getting stuck on the environment.

With Bloodborne slaying a boss felt literally amazing. Slaying a boss in Sekiro felt like a relief like oh I can finally move on. I dunno, it's not a bad game, I just don't get the heaps of praise it gets when Froms prior games were wildly better. Bloodborne in particular is so much more fun in every single way.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona

Yep that's exactly what I meant. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls I have only a few bossfights that use this mechanic, and when they do the changes are not that big (there are exceptions in DkS I though but it's not a universal mechanic like in later games).

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sekiro is an action stealth game imo, not a Souls one, even though it's clearly built on the same tech.

That said: it is probably the same level of lack of interest for me as Dark Souls 2 despite not being an apples-to-apples comparison.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Didn't you post recently saying you never actually engaged with the combat system, instead beating all the bosses by running around and poking them to death? I doubt I'd want to go back to the game either if I did that.

I used said tactics when it was viable, I didn't beat the entire game like that lol. I don't even think it's possible with the likes of Genchiro and others.
I definitely had to legitimately learn the mechanics to beat the game. Regardless, the point remains that it's the weakest compared to Bloodborne and Dark Souls. Which are other games you can also use different tactics to your advantage on.

Jul 26, 2018

Ahh yes... the game that makes you think... "How the fuck do I beat this Ape?" Then 30 mins later they're like... "Aight you think you're the shit?" Here's two Apes."

This was me this afternoon after a good...20 tries?

GOTY 2019

radiogra

Jun 27, 2020
none of their last gen output reaches DeS or DaS 1 for me, but sekiro is pretty close.

went sekiro > bloodborne > DaS 3, but could easily swap the last two. love BB and DaS 3 pretty equally, and think they have a really similar feel to them. sekiro feels fresher mechanically.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
This one is tough for me. Bloodborne and Sekiro were two of my favorite games this generation. Enjoyed all of DS3 & loved the DLC, thinking of doing another playthrough to finish the Platinum. But the first 2 are masterpieces for me. Bloodborne = Sekiro. Each had satisfying boss fights, especially the multi-tier ones in Sekiro designed to break you.

FROM for me delivers on that front every damn time, I wish more games had boss fights that were as epic in scope. The difficulty, environment, settings, and backgrounds of the bosses add to the entire atmosphere of the fights. Simply put, it feels really good to beat a FROMSOFT Final Boss.

Aug 12, 2019
I do think Dark Souls 3 deserves a little more credit than some people are giving it in this thread. I definitely think there is plenty to criticize about the game like I think for Sekiro, but I think it's probably the most inconsistent Souls game with some spectacular highs and some really boring lows (Well, you can say the same about Dark Souls 1, but there's a lot of of little stuff that makes up for the back half especially with the DLC factored in). Irithyll and its dungeon is truly one of the best areas in Souls as whole and the game has some fantastic boss fights that are some of the absolute best in the series. Also even if it's combat is designed more around the dodge roll than anything else, which I do knock it for, it can also just be an incredibly satisfying system to use and abuse with the right set ups. Sure, the game threatens to come apart at the seams with how much it's trying to be Bloodborne at times without those mechanics, but there is a lot of joy to be had and I think there is still a lot of really tasteful fan service at times. I just think it's opening drags a lot and you could probably cut like a third of the game out without losing any of the value or experience.

There's a reason it ranks very closely to Sekiro. It's a great game plagued by lots of little issues and I think the DLC bumps it up ever so slightly considering how much I love The Ringed City and Ariandel (I know some people don't, but I found those areas a joy to play through).

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. Makes me think that guy didn't play "soulsborne games". Or even knows what atmosphere is.

Are we looking at the same screenshots?

Most of the pictures are dark depressing castles. One of the sunset shots has an army of undead walking towards you. It's true these do have more colors than some of the areas I've seen, I can't deny that. A few of those areas do look relaxing. But the fact that you seem to mix in depressing castle ruins in different color filter doesn't change the fact that it looks depressing. The 3rd screenshot is laughably bad. That literally looks like a dark depressing forest, only really graphically ugly. Almost like a CGI render from the 1990s.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Are we looking at the same screenshots?

Most of the pictures are dark depressing castles. One of the sunset shots has an army of undead walking towards you. It's true these do have more colors than some of the areas I've seen, I can't deny that. A few of those areas do look relaxing. But the fact that you seem to mix in depressing castle ruins in different color filter doesn't change the fact that it looks depressing. The 3rd screenshot is laughably bad. That literally looks like a dark depressing forest, only really graphically ugly. Almost like a CGI render from the 1990s.
we can be just as reductive about sekiro if not worse if you'd like

rude

Oct 25, 2017
whats wrong with Sekiros story?
Nothing. It's straight forward with nice hints of intrigue (Owl's betrayal foreshadowed at the start of the game, who is the Sculptor, who does Emma work for) and the usual From Software lore (Tomoe/Mibu). People just wanted something cryptic again.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I love them all. I likely only put DS3 behind the other two because it's the 3rd/4th in the series of similar playing games and I think I was worn out by then. Not sure which to pick out of the other two either, maybe Bloodborne by a hair.

Sekiro was a very welcome change of pace for me. I suspect neither a DS4 or BB2 would have hit so strongly with me at the time.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
DS2, BB and Sekiro are awesome , DS1 starts awesome then goes to shit, DS3 is a mostly soulless experience with some great bosses.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
You either enjoy partying, or you don't enjoy Sekiro.

But in all seriousness it's my least favorite of their output. Absolutely not a bad game, but after a while got too repetitious in what I felt it demanded from the player. Some bosses where incredibly fun experiences, some felt like unfun slogs to do "the intended way", so I would just start spamming ninja tools and cheese through them 1-2 attempts afterward.

Bloodborne is still easily my favorite game from them, although having played PS3 Demon's Souls for the first time this year, I'd say as dated as it is it snuck its way up the chart much further than I had anticipated.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like DS3 but world-design is so much better in Sekiro. Yes, it's not as complex and rpg-ish as the usual Souls-games but I do appreciate its focus and approachability. Those two things, world and focus, put it slightly over DS3 for me. I'm currently replaying DS3 and while I have some fun, it's a bit of a slog tbh. I'm still not impressed with many of its levels and bosses.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DS2, BB and Sekiro are awesome , DS1 starts awesome then goes to shit, DS3 is a mostly soulless experience with some great bosses.
Nah, DS1 is still on top. Only BB comes close. DS2 is decidedly not awesome but downright shitty over long stretches (Majula is the only great part about it).