• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your ranking of the Fromsoft games released in the previous gen

• Bloodborne > Dark Souls 3 > Sekiro

Votes: 600 33.7%
  • Bloodborne > Sekiro > Dark Souls 3

Votes: 573 32.2%
  • Dark Souls 3 > Bloodborne > Sekiro

Votes: 144 8.1%
  • Dark Souls 3 > Sekiro > Bloodborne

Votes: 41 2.3%
  • Sekiro > Bloodborne > Dark Souls 3

Votes: 322 18.1%
  • Sekiro > Dark Souls 3 > Bloodborne

Votes: 101 5.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro is just hyper-focused on a single mechanic. If you didn't like that mechanic on previous games you're gonna have a bad time. I was never a fan of parrying but I enjoyed my time with the game nonetheless. The highs are much higher and so are the lows that much lower. I will say though, its the one From game that I absolutely did not want to replay nor wanted any more content for it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Aside from aesthetics I don't think deflecting is that similar to parrying. I hate parrying in the franchise but love Sekiro.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, it has the most unrealized potential of any of their games. It was bringing so much to the formula, the unique combat system and a ton of mobility. But it just fell flat in way too many areas for me. A ton of boss repetition, very small enemy variety, shinobi prosthetic tools are super basic, world design was way too linear.

The high's of the game are great, but for me it was way too far and few between.

Obviously it's a hard game which is fine, but I got to the point where I didn't feel motivated to go any further. If I'm throwing myself into a wall, it's got to be compelling for me to want to overcome the challenge. I just felt like I'd experienced everything already, so there wasn't much point.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hard disagree

I would say Sekiro is the best From Software game, and arguably the best game of last gen

Aug 12, 2019
It's a fantastic game that also has all kinds of little issues and bothers that keeps it from topping DS3 and it doesn't even come close to the holy trinity of Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1, and Demon's Souls IMO. Sekiro has an incredibly satisfying combat system that can absolutely push you to your absolute limit as a player and retains some stunning locales and has some of the best boss fights that From has ever done.

That said... It's also got the least amount of variety of any modern From game. Sure you have the Shinobi Prosthetic to use in all kinds of unique ways and a variety of neat combat arts you can choose from, but they most just supplement your one and only sword in the game and you can only ever have one of the many cool combat arts selected at a time so it's kind of rare to get a lot of usage of them unless you really experiment and swap often. The Ninjustu is cool, but there are only three options and they only come into play later in the game overall. Your only real sense of choice is whether or not you want to focus around parrying exclusively or if you wanna go completely offensive... and even then, certain bosses will not let you get away with a choice and you just have to learn which style works best on them.

Then the game reuses content a lot more than in any other From game. As fantastic as some bosses can be, a lot of them repeat albeit with different moves and even worse, they share arenas which makes the fights seem less special IMO. The arena can play a huge role in the storytelling and how memorable the fight will be, but Sekiro really does reuse just about every one save for like a couple fights near the end. They also have Ashina Castle be reused 3 times where you have to individually reactive the various Sculptor's Idols. Sure, new enemies and elements pop up and it's neat to see... But it's also already a game that feels a bit smaller and less visually memorable than other From games, so this reusage of this area really feels a bit taxing. And the enemy variety is especially where I think the game falls a bit flat. You'll fight so many of the same mini-boss it just gets super repetitive pretty quickly. A couple times they make sense, but it also just contributes to the game feeling like it's reusing existing ideas, and the variety of the game's enemies isn't exactly great to begin with. It's just the smallest feeling world they've done since Demon's Souls. Admittedly more focused, but it really could have used a couple more unique areas with more unique content IMO. There is a reason Fountainhead Palace ends up such a phenomenal part of the game.

Like don't get me wrong, I just finished my first playthrough and I'll be doing at least another. I love the game and love the way it feels to play and it has some truly fantastic moments and the traversal can be a blast compared to other From games. There's a lot to love and I applaud From for going so far out of their way to make a unique action game after focusing so heavily on RPG mechanics... but I have to admit it's rough around the edges and it doesn't quite reach the heights of the absolute best parts of other From titles. I'd say it's very close to Dark Souls 3, but I give that game the edge for just how much fantastic content is there and how much variety there can be to the game. If Sekiro had been a little more fleshed out and not been so reliant on the reuse of content, I'd easily give it to Sekiro though. But it's also still removed form reaching Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls 1 (with the DLC mind you, DS1 without its DLC is a much lesser game IMO).

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Probably unpopular opinion, but: Dark Souls 3 is the "weakest" entry of the series, imho ...

100% agree. It's the only modern from game that I will probably never play again. I'd argue that it's the only game in the series that doesn't do anything the "best" in the series.

I haven't decided yet where I'd rank Sekiro, but it's in the 10/10 tier with DS1 and Bloodborne.

Semi related, but I've been meaning to bring this up in a Sekiro thread... One thing that I hope they adopt from Sekiro in all of their future games is the killing blow on bosses. It's been jarring playing some of the older games and how awkward the boss fights feel. Just sort of whacking away at a demon's butt and then one of the random glancing bows kills it. Very anticlimactic.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Getting into a cavern and seeing a Headless with that tense Japanese flute music playing is an unmatched FromSoft experience.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Sekiro was just what the doctor ordered after the uninspired retread of Dark Souls 3. It's so fresh and full of ideas and energy.
This exactly! Although I hated playing Sekiro in 30fps and wasn't that fond of a lot of things with it.

I wouldn't be able to rank them and it's Bloodborne first and then Dark Souls 3/Sekiro in a tie.

Would be nice to see a thread where people can rank ALL Souls-likes like Nioh, The Surge, Salt and Sanctuary etc.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I just beat Lady Butterfly and it was such a good fight. I went from dying repeatedly, to being able to win without being touched and its such a good feeling. Overall I think out of the choices its the weakest entry, but all those entries are 9 and above so at some point its just nitpicking.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It's just the weakest modern FROM game period.

Abysmal storytelling, extremely uninspired world/lore, super narrow scale, lacking in play style variety. It bored me to death. Its only saving grace is the combat not being terrible.

Dark Souls 2 is an order of magnitude above it.
Everytime I see you post I match very similarly to you, plus I'm a Zarya main so... subscribed.

Just could never fully get into Sekiro. When they go down this more action esque type of game, it feels wrong. The slow pacing and methodical approach of the other titles is their strength I feel.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
On the scale of from software games I found Sekiro pretty weak. Still a good game.

The issues I had were
1)only one playstyle, no reason to do another playthrough because there were no different builds to try out really
2)Stuck playing boring generic male protagonist because this game was going to be the one with a story, but also that story was bad anyway so why not have customization instead.
3)Strange narrative weight thrown around to the wrong gameplay sections. It is bizarre as hell that the fight where you genuinely, for real,
kill your father
is just the easy practice version of a different fight where you do it again in a memory/dream/whatever only its much more challenging/interesting on this one where there is no narrative weight at all.
4)kind of boring level design. I remember a few of the boss fights very positively still, but there are no LEVELS that I remember being significant or interesting in any way other than that one time you return to an earlier location and its on fire/invaded. In other souls games there are genuine levels that are iconic and remembered.
5) Weird inverse difficulty where because the game absolutely requires you to get really good at parrying, you generally ate shit for the first several hours super badly, and then got good at the game and never struggled as much again. I was stuck on Genichiro for literal days, and the feeling of satisfaction I got beating him was immense. I beat the final boss the same night I got to it. This feels backwards.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
It's not bad by any means but yeah I think it is easily my least favorite of Formsoft's modern titles. I really wish I could have liked it more because the art, music, level design ect. are all great but I could not get any enjoyment out of it's rhythm game style combat. It just wasn't fun for me whatsoever. It felt like the evolution of all the things that I hated about previous Fromsoft games and made to take center stage. It's not the kind of gameplay loop that got me to love Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Also, a lack of multiple weapons and builds really cuts down the games replayability. Your first playthrough of Sekiro is going to be the same as your 100th. But like I said, it's not a bad game. Hell, even Fromsoft's worst games are still better than the majority of stuff out there and Sekiro is no different, regardless of my feelings about it.

I do hope though Elden Ring is genuinely something I'll enjoy more.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I see you post I match very similarly to you, plus I'm a Zarya main so... subscribed.

Just could never fully get into Sekiro. When they go down this more action esque type of game, it feels wrong. The slow pacing and methodical approach of the other titles is their strength I feel.
Right back at ya! Us Zarya mains need to band together.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro is just hyper-focused on a single mechanic. If you didn't like that mechanic on previous games you're gonna have a bad time. I was never a fan of parrying but I enjoyed my time with the game nonetheless. The highs are much higher and so are the lows that much lower. I will say though, its the one From game that I absolutely did not want to replay nor wanted any more content for it.
Yeah, this just had tunnel vision compared to every other game they've made. That and the repetitive environments quickly alienated me

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Imagine thinking Sekiro is worse than Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.

Sekiro is the culmination of thsoe games with the cheese/lameness removed - and replaced with pure skill. No more "poke" tactics where you just push dudes off the enviroment. No lame shielding builds. No cheese, just pure skill.

It is FromSoft perfection,

Lol. This is so rich because I don't think I've cheesed so many bosses and enemies in a FS game as I did Sekiro. Pure skill. That's Bloodborne brosef.

Aug 12, 2019
100% agree. It's the only modern from game that I will probably never play again. I'd argue that it's the only game in the series that doesn't do anything the "best" in the series.

I haven't decided yet where I'd rank Sekiro, but it's in the 10/10 tier with DS1 and Bloodborne.

Semi related, but I've been meaning to bring this up in a Sekiro thread... One thing that I hope they adopt from Sekiro in all of their future games is the killing blow on bosses. It's been jarring playing some of the older games and how awkward the boss fights feel. Just sort of whacking away at a demon's butt and then one of the random glancing bows kills it. Very anticlimactic.

I disagree with the thought of always implementing killing blows on bosses. The organic nature of Dark Souls has always made those moments absolutely possible depending on your build and opportunities within the fight. I mean when I finally beat Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne, I did it via a last ditch effort parry when I had 0 blood vials left and maybe a quarter of my health, and it remains the single most cinematic moment in From's entire catalogue and feels better because I earned that moment through my decision making. Death blows are great in Sekiro and make for some great moments, but I also don't think they need to be in every single fight and there's sometimes a joy to just barely getting a last hit in with a sword out of desperation when a boss is low (Also it doesn't really make sense for like casters to have crazy death blow stuff, cause Chaos Bed Vestiges into a boss looks epic every single time already TBH).

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

Abysmal storytelling, extremely uninspired world/lore, super narrow scale, lacking in play style variety. It bored me to death. Its only saving grace is the combat not being terrible.

Yup all of this. Only FS game that felt like the life was being sucked out of me every time I played it

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I'd put Bloodborne a little higher if it had a 60fps version but Dark Souls 3 takes it handily, especially with PC mods.

I agree on Sekiro, definitely the weakest. Smoothest combat and animations? Yep. But I deeply missed the weapon variety, armors, leveling system, and worlds.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Souls games are my bread and butter, but as soon as they started showing gameplay, I knew Sekiro was not something I'd enjoy. A pure action game in a boring setting focused on a single(terrible) mechanic? Sekiro makes Dark Souls 2 look like a friggen masterpiece.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
It's still in the same echelon as BB and DS3, where I don't think DS2 is.

Sekiro, DS3, and bloodborne are the best 3 From games so this is correct. Everything else is a clear step down from those. DS2 is at the bottom of the stairs after falling flat on it's face down the entire staircase.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
sekiro's combat is perfection. The parry mechanic is like nothing ive ever seen before in a game. Requiring actual skill and learning the patterns.

Fighting Genichiro and perfectly parrying all of his attacks when he comes after you in a flurry of blows and massively building his stagger is fantastic. its a great feeling fight. Same with lady butterfly.

Making the boss fights more than just whittling down health is such a great choice. Making it a one hit kill on most enemies is brilliant and more realistic. It feels like actual sword fighting in a way.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Most of Sekiros bosses can be cheesed. I find Ludwig alone far tougher than anything in Sekiro. Whats worse a lot of mini bosses can just be backstabbing to take away the challenge.

I agree with your criticisms but the combat puts it over DS2 for me.

Eh, lot's of people cheesed the fuck out of Bloodborne and even From patched some exploits (duplicate items etc). You can overlevel pretty much all of the bosses on top of that. Ludwig took me 2 or 3 tries, cuz i was high level during my first run. :D

I rank Sekiro above DSIII, a game that was more like greatest hits album. From should go back to DS1 level design....it is by far their best (and that is coming from someone that loves Bloodborne).

Most of the criticism in this thread is people wanting another Dark Souls lol

Yep, and then people would have complained how everything is the same and it's DSIII-2. :)

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is a fantastic game and my second favourite after DS3.

I'd place Bloodborne second bottom, just above DS2, it's overrated and easy.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Hard pressed to disagree.

After beating Genichiro I just put the game down and walked away from it, because I was just so bored with the experience.

Never had that with any of the other games. There's just not enough "there" if you're not super into swordfights.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Basically. It's not like they were hiding it either (the fact that you gotta parry/deflect) but it shows how much faith people put in From's games. I'm glad they tried something new and at the same time we're getting Elden Ring so it feels like everyone wins. Personally I can't wait for Sekiro 2. Now that they settled down on combat mechanics and systems it feels like the sky's the limit for what they can do. More prosthetics, new weapons, more options for the grappling hook...etc.

Also while sekiro's story on the surface was pretty bland, the game itself does have a lot of lore and connections in the usual From style which I was sad to see got little less attention than usual, probably because there was little reason for people to check it out since the game had a bigger focus on the front-end story anyway. Everything to do with the monks and the connections between the okamis were great.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
That thread titles makes it sound like it's a bad game but looking at the poll it's a close pick between three amazing titles.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro is easily my favorite of the bunch, the rpg stat aspect of dark souls is lame anyways. I honestly think souls would be better with stats tied to weapons being used and using something similar to sekiro for endurance and vitality progression. Sekiro boss fights are so good, I just played through this game again over the holidays after demon's souls left me a little wanting for some boss fights.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
All the souls games have that moment of bliss when everything suddenly clicks, but when Sekiro clicked for me, i knew i was playing a masterpiece.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
When you look at the poll results though, I wonder if they actually did? I like Dark Souls 3 a lot but I guess the formula got kind of stale by that point. Seems like most people liked Sekiro / BB more at least.

Oct 30, 2017
Demon's Souls = Dark Souls = Bloodborne > Dark Souls 3 > Dark Souls 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> infinite >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sekiro at the end of >infinity>

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I really have no interest in dragged out arguments or discussions about it but it is, by far, my least favorite Souls-era Fromsoft game.

I spent a lot of time playing it just wishing they made Dark Souls 4 instead.

Oct 30, 2017
Someone couldn't beat a boss.
Or maybe some game lacked the brilliant world designs that rewards you the more you explore it and lacked a memorable epic boss fights or very interesting hunting story and NPCs lore and of course the ability to customize and build up your character and have the ability to create your own strategies and way of playing.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Deracine's so forgotten and unplayed that even this site's cult of From Software fans don't remember it. Or is the fanbase's views on From Software's output so narrow that they only see the one specific style of game...

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Sekiro is only second to bloodborne for me , absolutely phenomenal games and I prefer it to DS3.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Or maybe some game lacked the brilliant world designs that rewards you the more you explore it and lacked a memorable epic boss fights or very interesting hunting story and NPC lore and of course the ability to customize and build up your character and have the ability to create your own strategies and way of playing.
Maybe, but it didn't lack the majority of those. There's no universe where DS2 is a better game unless 100% of your satisfaction from gaming comes from the amount of shields you can use.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Deracine's so forgotten and unplayed that even this site's cult of From Software fans don't remember it. Or is the fanbase's views on From Software's output so narrow that they only see the one specific style of game...
It's probably because it's exclusive to an expensive peripheral that very few people actually own. I'll play it if I ever actually get a PSVR.

On topic though, I love Sekiro and it's maybe my favorite game of theirs. I also appreciate that every one of their games is somewhat different from the last. I usually prefer when developers don't just pump out sequels but try something new and unique (as long as that's what they want to do, at least). I think it's why my top three are DS1, Bloodborne and Sekiro. They're all pretty different from the game that precedes them and they all have similar but distinct flavors to them.

I still love DS2 and DS3 but I really love how different and special Sekiro is in their recent output.

I don't play From Games to fight 2 hours straight. A Bloody Palace Mode like in DMC would just get boring super fast, with the basic Arkham Esque Combat of Sekiro.
Hmm, I'm not sure I see much of a comparison to Arkham combat, tbh.