• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

did you know this?

• yes

Votes: 418 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 540 56.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trying to sling guilt, but I honestly have to wonder what titles we don't know of that were "ghostcoded". Squaresoft and Capcom once had some CRAZY output especially for SNES/PSX/GBA

Lots of them. There are entirely dedicated shadow companies for this.

Along the same lines as Donkey Kong/Congo Bongo, Nintendo's first arcade game, Radar Scope, was also made by Ikegami:

maxresdefault.jpg

Who, in the same style, went to Sega and made an isometric spiritual successor in Zaxxon:

220px-ARC_Zaxxon.png

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I've known about SEGA's origins for many years, but only because I looked it up. It's certainly not common knowledge.

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of them. There are entirely dedicated shadow companies for this.

Along the same lines as Donkey Kong/Congo Bongo, Nintendo's first arcade game, Radar Scope, was also made by Ikegami:

maxresdefault.jpg

Who, in the same style, went to Sega and made an isometric spiritual successor in Zaxxon:

220px-ARC_Zaxxon.png
Nintendo must now have full rights to the code as we saw the original arcade Donkey Kong re-released in both Donkey Kong 64 and most recently on Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
Neither of those were the original code. They were both full on remakes.
No kidding? Huh.

Almost a shame Nintendo didn't just hire in the programmers and designers from Ikegami over the years (unless they did?). I would assume it's the leadership that got pissed about this whole thing, not the actual designers and coders, right?

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a fun one:

If you're old enough to remember when the original DOOM came out, you might remember the service known as DWANGO, which served as an online matchmaking service for DOOM and other games (the name stood for Dial-up Wide-Area Network Game Operation). DWANGO was an American company, but they also opened a Japanese subsidiary in 1997. The American division shut down in 1998, but the Japanese division continued to do extremely well, providing online services for several games for Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, etc. Today they're one of Japan's largest media/communications companies, after merging with Kadokawa in 2014. They own Niconico and Spike Chunsoft, among other subsidiaries.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a fun one:

If you're old enough to remember when the original DOOM came out, you might remember the service known as DWANGO, which served as an online matchmaking service for DOOM and other games (the name stood for Dial-up Wide-Area Network Game Operation). DWANGO was an American company, but they also opened a Japanese subsidiary in 1997. The American division shut down in 1998, but the Japanese division continued to do extremely well, providing online services for several games for Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, etc. Today they're one of Japan's largest media/communications companies, after merging with Kadokawa in 2014. They own Niconico and Spike Chunsoft, among other subsidiaries.
Oh shit this I didnt know

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's another thing people probably don't realize: Sega is a prolific publisher in Japan, much more so than they are in the West. In japan, when western companies release their games, they rely on Japanese companies to publish to break into that market. As such, many, many western companies use Sega to publish their games in Japan, like EA and Activision.

Best recent examples:

4wBQaXz.jpg

7tHDmBE.jpg

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Nah, I never knew until recently. I always thought that they were Japanese when I was a child.

It's very interesting, though.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I never knew until recently. I always thought that they were Japanese when I was a child.

It's very interesting, though.

Sega has been a japanese company for over 60 years now.

That said, depending on when you knew Sega as a child, and where you were in the world, the early Sega you know, wasn't actually Sega. In the USA, until just before the Sega Genesis released, Sega actually didn't publish their stuff in the US. The Sega Master System days, they actually were published by Tonka, the toy truck people, who licensed Sega's brand.

wgukoqd.jpg

In the UK, it was Virgin Mastertronic who did this for Sega:

S-the-sega-magazine-issue-6.png

In Brazil, Tec Toy:

JEIf0WF.jpg

In Korea, it was Samsung:

hqdefault.jpg

There are also sega variants from Hitachi, Pioneer, and JVC.

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I had no idea. I also had no idea it stood for Service Games. This is blowing my mind right now.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Sega has been a Japanese company for over 60 years now.

That said, depending on when you knew Sega as a child, and where you were in the world, the early Sega you know, wasn't actually Sega. In the USA, until just before the Sega Genesis released, Sega actually didn't publish their stuff in the US. The Sega Master System days, they actually were published by Tonka, the toy truck people, who licensed Sega's brand.

wgukoqd.jpg

In Brazil, Tec Toy:

JEIf0WF.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
Oh, wow! That's amazing! Thanks for the info...OP made it sound like Sega was an American company in which he said that it was founded by Americans as a whole.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, wow! That's amazing! Thanks for the info...OP made it sound like Sega was an American company in which he said that it was founded by Americans as a whole.

Sega was an American company in the 1940's. It was founded by a Jewish-American family in the 1940's. Sega themselves consider this to be a different company history, however, as they consider the offiical start of their current company 1960 with the formation of what became Sega Enterprises. The Sega of the 1940's is known as "Service Games of Japan" which changed their name to SEGA in 1954. Sega has actually changed hands many, many times. When most people know sega from the 90's, they were owned by CSK corporation, which bought them in 1984.

Obviously, today Sega is owned by Sega-Sammy Holdings, a holdings group formed from the merger of Sega and Sammy. Their logo:

Sega_Sammy.png

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, knew this. Then again I love Sega and have always loved reading about their history. So I can understand why others wouldn't. Although I recall Sega going through a lot of changes over the years.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Sega was an American company in the 1940's. It was founded by a Jewish-American family in the 1940's. Sega themselves consider this to be a different company history, however, as they consider the offiical start of their current company 1960 with the formation of what became Sega Enterprises. The Sega of the 1940's is known as "Service Games of Japan" which changed their name to SEGA in 1954. Sega has actually changed hands many, many times. When most people know sega from the 90's, they were owned by CSK corporation, which bought them in 1984.

Obviously, today Sega is owned by Sega-Sammy Holdings, a holdings group formed from the merger of Sega and Sammy. Their logo:

Sega_Sammy.png
As they say, you learn something new every day. :)

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Here's another thing people probably don't realize: Sega is a prolific publisher in Japan, much more so than they are in the West. In japan, when western companies release their games, they rely on Japanese companies to publish to break into that market. As such, many, many western companies use Sega to publish their games in Japan, like EA and Activision.

Best recent examples:

4wBQaXz.jpg
While I didn't know the OP info., I certainly did know this.

Another funny one is that Square publish COD games over there.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Mister Donut was also founded in America. I'm sure there has been a Sega X Mister Donut crossover at some point.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Standard games
Service games?

Man, they really poured all their creative juice into their names.

Oct 26, 2017

Sega_Sammy.png
CSK Sega was best Sega bar none. The damage Sammy did to Sega cannot be overstated. :(

They stuck their nose in so much of Sega. They couldn't just leave Sega alone, they played musical chairs with basically everything and clearly had a negative effect on their thought process as well. It's my belief that the dark age of Sonic that began in late 2005 would not have happened otherwise.

I mean Sonic Team USA nearly broke themselves trying to make Sonic Heroes the best it could be with what little time and resources they had, to then putting out Shadow the Hedgehog. That says everything.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know that and also didn't know about Service Games.
But the biggest surprise for me are those 47% of Resetera users who voted for yes!

Oct 26, 2017
I knew that but I always wondered if there were remaining US military contacts in the 90s that led them to develop arcade hardware with Lockheed Martin. Probably not though

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I remember when SEGA left the hardware business and were eventually bought out by Sammy...depressing times. So many of SEGA's IPs (and teams) died in that post-Dreamcast generation, when they should've thrived. There are a few notable exceptions, of course. Still, a bad time to be a SEGA fan.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never stop being confused how the company became so Japanese centric and how they brought themselves down back in the day when making consoles, because of how different the cultures between the American and Japnese branches were. You'd think the Americans would take charge, but alas...

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019

Best recent examples:

4wBQaXz.jpg

7tHDmBE.jpg
GODDAMN IT JAPANESE CRASH HAHAHA

eternalblue

Oct 27, 2017
I first learned this from when I was in middle school when one of the student writers wrote an article about the origin of Sega in the school newspaper.

Apr 26, 2020
Yep, I knew!

Also a reminder that Nintendo was formed in 1889.

That's older than most companies are today. I think Nokia is the only one ever involved with games or at least gaming hardware (N-Gage) that is older.

Phillips came close, that was founded in 1891, then again the CD-I is hardly ''gaming hardware''

My Dutch heart is still broken about that ;-; about not challenging the gaming industry and being a shell of its former self nowadays

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018
Sega has been a japanese company for over 60 years now.

wgukoqd.jpg

In Brazil, Tec Toy:

JEIf0WF.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

There are also sega variants from Hitachi, Pioneer, and JVC.

You forgot the Amstrad Mega PC amongst others

Sep 12, 2018
I knew that but I always wondered if there were remaining US military contacts in the 90s that led them to develop arcade hardware with Lockheed Martin. Probably not though

Nope, those contracts had to do with the collapse of communism which left a bunch of developments for millitary 3d simulations open to the free market. Yu Suzuki gave a talk about it at GDC a few years back.