• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

did you know this?

• yes

Votes: 418 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 540 56.4%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
here I thought it was founded by the people of Japan. Legit surprised.

SegagagaBattle.jpg
(Also found out about SEGAGA. Here I thought I knew most JRPGs in existence.)

In 1940, American businessmen Martin Bromley, Irving Bromberg, and James Humpert formed Standard Games in Honolulu, Hawaii. Their aim was to provide coin-operated amusement machines, including slot machines, to military bases as the increase in personnel with the onset of World War II would create demand for entertainment. After the war, the founders sold Standard Games in 1945, and in 1946 established Service Games, named for the military focus.[1] After the United States government outlawed slot machines in its territories in 1952, Bromley sent employees Richard Stewart and Ray LeMaire to Tokyo to establish Service Games of Japan to provide coin-operated slot machines to U.S. bases in Japan.[2][3][4] A year later, all five men established Service Games Panama to control the various entities of Service Games worldwide. The company expanded over the next seven years to include distribution in South Korea, the Philippines, and South Vietnam.[5] The name Sega, an abbreviation of Service Games,[6] was first used in 1954 on a slot machine, the Diamond Star.

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I learned from an old Next Generation mag I think. The guy had a business making IDs with a photo booth originally or something, right? And the place that he would send it to to get fixed also worked on amusement machines so the tag would come back SErvice GAmes. Something along those lines, it's been a while. That same issue had a ton of great old video games stories. At least I think it was Next Gen. Could have easily been something else. I used to buy so many mags a month lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the first time I found out Sega was an american company was when I was watching the show American Pickers and they found an old Sega slot machine from the 1940s.

vlcsnap-2011-07-17-10h42m38s16.png

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I knew!

Also a reminder that Nintendo was formed in 1889.

That's older than most companies are today. I think Nokia is the only one ever involved with games or at least gaming hardware (N-Gage) that is older.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I grew up a Genesis kid, though I didn't have any sort of remotely enthusiast interest in games until PlayStation came along.

I did not know this until just now. Pretty crazy.

Ceileachair

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please calm down with that wall of text, OP. We don't need all of the details.
Lol

Yeah, I've known since the 90s. What's shocking is how many don't know on an enthusiast gaming fourm. We have the entire human history going back 40 thousand + years in the palm of your hand and no one can do proper research.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sega, as a games maker, predates video games. They were making electromachanical arcade games, before computer monitors were around. Their earliest games influenced later games, like this game that later influenced Hang-On:

This game predates Pong:

Sega, as a company, is over 75 years old, although the current company counts only the time they transitioned to japan (hence it being their 60th anniversary).

Sega is the undisputed all-time king of arcade games. Their closest competition would have been Bally, but they ceased to be back in 1996. Sega, by far, has been the company in electronic gaming the longest -- Nintendo predates them as a toy maker, but didn't enter electronic games until well after sega did.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah definitely unknown to me. Particularly because there's so many Japanese exclusive Sega titles. It would be bizarre as hell if Microsoft started releasing several Japanese exclusive titles.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. They're SErvice GAmes and were founded in Hawaii. The Japanese SEGA was a division and eventually took over the whole company.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea and I have no idea how I've never heard before. You always hear the same bunch of video game trivia repeated over and over again but somehow I've never seen anyone mention this before now.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Whoa! Even more surprising is that Sega apparently invented games as a service. Wtfffff

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sega will still occasionally reference their pre-video game arcade days in modern games. Their best known is probably periscope, which get occasionally referenced as mini games in their modern titles.

Periscope dates back to 1968. It is included in Die Hard Arcade.

The vast, vast majority of Sega's pre-video game arcade titles are forever lost to time. There are many games of theirs which no cabinets are known to exist anymore, and documentation on much of their pre-1973 output is non-existent. In the 1960's, Sega was pretty much synonymous with bars.

Another thing people don't realize: Sega manufactures most of the slot machines in the world. Go to like a gas station and see a video slot machine? That's probably from Sega.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's another one people might not realize: Sega published Frogger

Frogger_arcade_title.png

In fact, the famous scene in seinfeld, where george pushes the cabinet?

MV5BOWU3ZDdlNDctMjI1OC00MDgyLTg5MTYtOTU0ZGM3OGMzOTI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk0NzgwMTE@._V1_.jpg

That was sega's iconic cabinet of the 1980's, they used it for multiple games. that was THE sega cabinet. Off the top of my head, Wonder Boy and Carnival games both use it. I have one of these very cabinets.

L9CDbRv.jpg

My 19-year long restoration of the cabinet: https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-story-of-my-restored-arcade-cabinet.19044/

Cabinet in carnival games configuration:

LRVVfoS.png

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
And the most seminal pioneer of the American arcade in its early years was in fact named after a Japanese term for an overtaking position in the game of Go. Talk about mix and match!

(Yes, that's Atari.)

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And the most seminal pioneer of the American arcade in its early years was in fact named after a Japanese term for an overtaking position in the game of Go. Talk about mix and match!

(Yes, that's Atari.)

And the japanese subsidiary of Atari that Warner Communications sold off was bought by Namco, which used it to sue Nintendo. That subsidiary was named Tengen, as a nod to Atari's name being a reference to Go.

The history of arcade gaming is very incestuous.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Another weird, narrative-breaking fact is that Nintendo not only didn't code Donkey Kong, but they also got sued for re=engineering it to make Donkey Kong Jr.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another weird, narrative-breaking fact is that Nintendo not only didn't code Donkey Kong, but they also got sued for re=engineering it to make Donkey Kong Jr.

It was made by Ikegami:

Ikegami_Tsushinki_logo.svg

Who, after this stuff with Nintendo, turned around and made Congo Bongo for Sega:

220px-ARC_Congo_Bongo_%28Tip_Top%29.png

Which is, in many ways, a spiritual sequel to Donkey Kong.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
It was made by Ikegami:

Ikegami_Tsushinki_logo.svg

Who, after this stuff with Nintendo, turned around and made Congo Bongo for Sega:

220px-ARC_Congo_Bongo_%28Tip_Top%29.png

Which is, in many ways, a spiritual sequel to Donkey Kong.
I'm not trying to sling guilt, but I honestly have to wonder what titles we don't know of that were "ghostcoded". Squaresoft and Capcom once had some CRAZY output especially for SNES/PSX/GBA

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
No and I did not know that Nintendo was affiliated with the yakuza and prostitution in the 60s-70s and also own the rights to Super Hornio Bros.

This seems to be the most adult oriented company of all