• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
But how many people liked the Avatars? There are Sonic fans that like stuff that most people don't, I mean I like the Werehog but I'm not going to argue that it wasn't hated. Personally I'm against avatars, not just because all I see is people making fun of them but also because I really don't think Sonic is a series that should have avatars outside of some sort of spinoff game, it feels like a waste of resources. Just let me play as more of the actual characters like Knuckles.
I agree that it should be a spin off. I don't think its a waste of resources due to how sonic team is just set up nowadays and I cannot dictate what they can or shouldn't do. But I do think it should be a spin off game where you get to make your own mobian and go n adventures. Like xenoverse, but sonic. If you believe certain rumors of how this game started development, it kinda feels like that was the intent.

As for did people like it, yeah? I remember a lot of reviewers not being fond of game, but thinking the CaC was neat and a lot of normal people thinking the same.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
That's the only Classic Sonic I like.

Besides those recent cartoons on the youtube channel.
Yeah, those get Classic Sonic right. Sonic Team keeps characterizing Classic Sonic as a baby. Generations comes across like "You're wrong to like Classic Sonic! Look, even he likes Modern Sonic more!"

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I legit can't tell if he's actually being serious or if he's purposely stoking the flames.
People were speculating that the hidden messages were about him leaving SEGA, since it looks like they could be talking about Sonic social media ("It began in 2015" = when Sonic Twitter became more of a thing)

He's seemingly just saying that the hidden messages aren't hinting at him leaving.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
my issues with the avatars would all be resolved if they didn't have the Pokémon protagonist problem of a blank expressionless face 95% of the time

That and more body customization options so they don't all basically look identical underneath the layers of ridiculous clothing

The actual gameplay is basically a great evolution of the "boost" formula, the grappling hook especially. The arena fights not so much.

All that said though they'll never release a game where you can't play as Sonic

Woylie

May 9, 2018
sonic adventure remake is one of the most obvious things they could do, and there's clearly demand for it - i feel like it'll happen at some point in the next console gen or so

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
he point being that they want to see Sega return sonic to a gameplay archetype they haven't visited in 15 years and when they did it was a disaster?

I like the adventure games too, we're never getting those games again
Who is to say we wouldn't get more? Classic sonic was also abandoned for like a decade or two, and sonic 4 was a disaster, they could have abandoned it again, but we got generations, and then Sonic Mania which was the real sonic 4 after like more than 20 years?
If anything SEGA loves banking on nostalgia, and we are at a point where adventure is old enough to be nostalgic for a lot and lots of people, they even begin already catering to adventure fanbase with a lot of music remixes in TSR and even sonic forces, the last animated short was a love letter to adventure and Chao fans, I would say there is a fair chance of a new adventure-style game, or even a remake

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for them to polish Team Sonic Racing to be honest. They could add more courses and characters via a special edition of the game, and fix the lobby system too, so that the online doesn't die out super fast this time.

A Mania 2 to hold people over until the next mainline game releases would be nice as well.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Who is to say we wouldn't get more?

Sega, apparently.

Shit, you know what a stupid easy money grab would be for sega? Remake the chao garden for mobile and make it a GAAS. But they don't, and I can't understand why.

I don't understand why Sega does what they do, which is to leave money on the table and rush half baked projects to fruition, but that's what they do. I don't know why they decided to not make Sonic Colors a franchise and just iterate on what made that game great, but they didn't. I don't know why they didn't go hard into the paint with Sonic Generations and really play up the nostalgic aspect of that game, but they didn't. I don't know why they looked at Mario Galaxy and said "SHIT WE NEED TO DO THAT" which basically scuddled the design direction for sonic games for damn near 5 years, but they did.

Expect nothing from them. That when we do get gems like the Archie Comic or the Hussie led shorts or Sonic Mania, it will be a wonderful surprise. But never think that good output is going to be the norm. Sega doesn't play that way.

Remake of Sonic Adventure 2. DO IT.

A remake of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 is simultaneously the smartest and most boring thing they could possibly do. So I doubt they'll do it, because it's a good idea.

Sonic Generations 2
Sonic Mania 2
Sonic Colors HD
It's not that hard.

And yet, here we are.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm. I feel like Sega could really hit gold if they made something like "Sonic Maker" in the vein of Mario Maker. Imagine a truly official Sonic 2D game with the kind of toolset we got in Mario Maker.

"The next chapter belongs to you" is my reasoning for posting this, even though that's probably not at all what that means.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. I feel like Sega could really hit gold if they made something like "Sonic Maker" in the vein of Mario Maker. Imagine a truly official Sonic 2D game with the kind of toolset we got in Mario Maker.

"The next chapter belongs to you" is my reasoning for posting this, even though that's probably not at all what that means.
The sad thing is...THEY ALREADY DID THAT, before mario maker even

It was more limited but still was a cool thing, SEGA always ahead of its time and also the most unlucky

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Team Sonic Racing has the best Sonic soundtrack of the decade. I hope Sonic Team does a collaborative soundtrack like that again.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Sonic Team would get 3D Sonic right before plunging into some big budget unleashed-esque project.
But maybe they actually need a big budget to actually try something new. Sonic in 3D would require far more dev time and testing just because of how many potential issues it could have.

You people do know that stupid drive-by posts are not accepted on Era, yes?

ofc they are accepted , it depends on the franchise we are talking about tho.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Curious. Let's see where this leads.

Absolutely nothing new.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice of SEGA to announce beforehand they're going to totally fuckup whatever is next in my favourite franchise.

I'm also quite surprised with all this talk about a "Sonic Adventure remake" in the community lately. I don't recall there ever being a (reliable) source claiming that's what Sonic Team is working on next. Yet it seems to come up whenever a Sonic thread opens up here.

... has a Sonic game ever gotten the "remake" treatment before?

Oct 28, 2017
Finally a sequel to Sonic 06!

d03.jpg

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic Team was 1 and 6-8 in the 2010s and 2020 is a big year for them with the Movie and the Summer Games and the 30th is the following year.

We shall see.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm not going to bother looking too deep into Aaron's teases; i'm still tired from all of that buildup to Mania's announcement in 2016.

I'm still on the Adventure Remake train; not because Iizuka said he wants to do it, but because I want it, lol.

Finally, the Roman themed third storybook game we were all hoping and wishing for
Greek Mythology won the official poll! Sega owes us.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Adventure 3/Remake with new expansive Chao Garden. Make it happen.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
I won the level design contest we had for that on the old forum.
woah, thats cool! This is the kind of fan interaction that this sort of thing brings , hope we have something similar in the future

Nice of SEGA to announce beforehand they're going to totally fuckup whatever is next in my favourite franchise.

I'm also quite surprised with all this talk about a "Sonic Adventure remake" in the community lately. I don't recall there ever being a (reliable) source claiming that's what Sonic Team is working on next. Yet it seems to come up whenever a Sonic thread opens up here.

... has a Sonic game ever gotten the "remake" treatment before?
There was an interview with Iizuka last year about Sonic Adventure and its development, and there he expressed interest in maybe doing a remake if possible, and that sparked an interest in the fanbase itself, plus you know, the recent trend of remaking old games, just look at crash and spyro and Re2 and ff7.

and i guess you could count generations as a remake of levels from basically all main sonic games lol

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I'm not going to bother looking too deep into Aaron's teases; i'm still tired from all of that buildup to Mania's announcement in 2016.

I'm still on the Adventure Remake train; not because Iizuka said he wants to do it, but because I want it, lol.

Greek Mythology won the official poll! Sega owes us.
Iizuka doesn't understand why the adventure series is coveted despite working on them directly . Same way he doesn't quite understand classic sonic. He just got done saying how far the series had advanced and that's why they would not return to the adventure series. Which means his heart isn't in it and he has no idea what he's talking about.

No way Sonic Team should be trusted with this

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
If there is a second Mania game in development, Stealth likely isn't involved, considering he went to kickstarter to fund a new game not too long ago and had to cancel it due to bankruptcy.
Whoa, I'd like to know where I can learn more.

Also, one of the guys making the at least top 3 most critically-acclaimed Sonic game of the past 20 years is bankrupt?
Lemme guess, SEGA paid him a small lump sum at release and meanwhile they're getting cash from Mania's great reception while Stealth gets nothing.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
The point being that they want to see Sega return sonic to a gameplay archetype they haven't visited in 15 years and when they did it was a disaster?
Thats the thing. The argument that 06 served as a valid example of not revisiting & logically improving the Adventure style dismisses a shitload of context towards plenty of aspects that plagued the game being the way it was regardless of it (admittedly) borrowing the Adventure template.

Please, enlighten me about this astronomical point.
Beyond my above post, point being is that when people ask for a direct successor to the Adventure twins, they mean it due to recognizing that while not flawless in execution they offered good ideas in various gameplay areas well worth coming back to, especially given how popular the games were upon debut (I'd argue they still are at least within the category of 3D sonic outings).

In other words, the entertainment value was still there for plenty of people even when mixing in less-than-favorable impressions you'll hear from parts of the internet these days. Overall, the Adventure twins were a product of ambition and comparatively the closest efforts from Sonic Team in transitioning momentum-based platforming in 3D in contrast to their post-Dreamcast 3D projects.

Which is why, for me, I'd personally would love nothing more than to see a proper evolution of the Adventure style while keeping multiple characters playable in a way that can work even better.

Going with the 06 does more harm than good as it feeds into Sonic Teams bad habits of listening to bad feedback and throwing out ideas that theoretically would work instead of iterating on it for the better. 06 (hell and even) Forces weren't hated for using a familiar popular gameplay style, they were hated for failing to meaningfully iterate upon them leading to an objectively worse experience with around 2/3rds of issues largely stemming from development hell.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because the first thing when I think when playing Sonic, is in roman philosophers

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
The ring should be an octagon. As in stop.

Sonic Team can't be trusted with the brand. They're better with virtually ANY franchise that's not Sonic ironically enough.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Iizuka doesn't understand why the adventure series is coveted despite working on them directly . Same way he doesn't quite understand classic sonic. He just got done saying how far the series had advanced and that's why they would not return to the adventure series. Which means his heart isn't in it and he has no idea what he's talking about.

No way Sonic Team should be trusted with this
This of course....is a valid concern.

Though, with rumours of Sonic Team Japan's shuffle and the newer Sonic Pillar Team being a thing within the American branch, I'd like to believe the latter would lead to a group of staff sporting a potential higher degree of quality assurance.

Last edited:

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
So many comments in here make my head hurt... but anyway, I guess that's cool. I'm not expecting anything beyond announcements and trailers for Sonic in 2020 though. SEGA already has a large lineup of games set for next year, and I can't see a new Sonic title releasing before the 30th anniversary and until after the next gen consoles have settled in a bit.

Last edited: