• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I wouldn't mind a new design, but it definitely needs to be a combination of the two. They cannot get rid of what made Sonic so appealing in the first place.

You mean like this one that Tyson Hesse drew on Twitter?:

I like it a lot actually and wouldn't mind if they used something like that going forward.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

f51jfjfe.gif

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tails' Channel saying "it began in 2015" is also hidden in the video (I'm guessing at the very start?)

2015 was Sonic Runners, but also the starting point of Mania's development and (presumably) Forces. Maybe Sonic Team worked on two games simultaneously? Would explain Forces'... Quality control.

Sonic Generations, Lost World, and Forces had boring stories. I hope the plot for the next Sonic game is more in line with the Dreamcast-era games.

Yeah, I was referring to how Forces' writing was so over-the-top dramatic that latin phrase wouldn't surprise me if it inexplicably came out of Vector the Crocodile's mouth in that game

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Tails' Channel saying "it began in 2015" is also hidden in the video (I'm guessing at the very start?)

2015 was Sonic Runners, but also the starting point of Mania's development and (presumably) Forces. Maybe Sonic Team worked on two games simultaneously? Would explain Forces'... Quality control.

Yeah, I was referring to how Forces' writing was so over-the-top dramatic that latin phrase wouldn't surprise me if it inexplicably came out of Vector the Crocodile's mouth in that game

If the 2015 thing was to signify when Forces started development I think this lends credence to my reading of the Latin being that they are saying Forces being bad will make the next game better.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

I'll add this to the OP. Even more interesting.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
"This next chapter belongs to you" could also suggest that the game will be build around the avatar stuff

Or Super Sonic Maker, it's hard to tell
They're going to make the game they originally wanted to make where you don't play as Sonic at all (only avatars) because THAT was the reason Forces was bad!

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Why am i not surprised to see people yet again ignorantly missing the point astronomically?

The point being that they want to see Sega return sonic to a gameplay archetype they haven't visited in 15 years and when they did it was a disaster?

I like the adventure games too, we're never getting those games again.

if it doesn't have chao garden it doesn't count as adventure three

Agreed
Yeah. I particularly like what they have going on with both designs at the moment, but if they are going to redesign the cast, SOA needs to take the lead and all the branches of SEGA need to be on board with it.

Which is why it'll never happen. The egotripping going on with the sonic IP in general is baffling. The SOA stuff, the archie stuff, the SOJ stuff, the sonic team stuff, no one listens to what works, everyone has their own idea of what's good, everyone just does whatever, and usually it just results in a bunch of garbage products that no one actually wants.

Last edited:

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Why am i not surprised to see people yet again ignorantly missing the point astronomically?

Please, enlighten me about this astronomical point.

I distinctly remember Adventure 1 and 2 having several playable characters as selling points. Then it came to its logical conclusion on Heroes and '06, when the various, unpolished playstyles detracted from the game.

Gameplay is also nothing to write home about either. It was fine back then, but it has aged.

It's like still waiting for Mario 128, when that was already Sunshine.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The point being that they want to see Sega return sonic to a gameplay archetype they haven't visited in 15 years and when they did it was a disaster?

I don't think most people are even saying they want the Adventure style of gameplay. They could do an Adventure 3 that uses Boost gameplay, I mean Unleashed was already part way there.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think most people are even saying they want the Adventure style of gameplay. They could do an Adventure 3 that uses Boost gameplay, I mean Unleashed was already part way there.

Then what they should be asking for is for SOJ and Sonic Team to stop throwing out game concepts when someone new takes the reigns and actually iterate on the games and ideas that actually work rather than creating completely new gameplay mechanics and metrics for the sake of doing sonic "their way".

Because saying, "I want adventure 3" means something very specific.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Agreed

Which is why it'll never happen. The egotripping going on with the sonic IP in general is baffling. The SOA stuff, the archie stuff, the SOJ stuff, the sonic team stuff, no one listens to what works, everyone has their own idea of what's good, everyone just does whatever, and usually it just results in a bunch of garbage products that no one actually wants.

I think this is also why SEGA failed in the console market. Egos, pride and each branch just doing whatever they felt like caused their console business to fall into disarray.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I dont want an Adventure 3 right now cause it wouldnt have the funding to make it special and we've seen time and time again they suck with low budgets and small development cycles.

But I would like a return to the adventure formula. And by that I'm talking about speed gameplay only. You can have other characters if they are speed based.

I'm guessing we get another boost game. Probably something like Colors 2 and they are baffled when the reception is meh

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My guess is it's them being weirdly pretentious about Sonic social media or something, since they started posting memes in 2015.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Literally no one is saying this. Lol, what the fuck.

Boost gameplay is tired. They can barely make enough content for it anyways

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
...Why?

The avatar creator and another non sonic person being playable were about the only two things people liked about that game. They were received well in a sea of mediocrity
I mean,that's what sonic team usually does, isnt it? They misread criticism and get rid of everything instead of just fixing the problems and iterating on them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were like "oh,i guess games with avatars aren't the right way" after forces.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
...Why?

The avatar creator and another non sonic person being playable were about the only two things people liked about that game. They were received well in a sea of mediocrity
Was it? All I see is the avatars being made fun of. We can have more than one playable character without avatars.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I mean,that's what sonic team usually does, isnt it? They misread criticism and get rid of everything instead of just fixing the problems and iterating on them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were like "oh,i guess games with avatars aren't the right way" after forces.
I'm against the avatar for the sole reason that it takes away pre rendered cutscenes.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we don't see the avatar stuff again. If they're going for additional playable characters, I'd much rather play as Tails, Knuckles, or Shadow.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The fire tests gold line makes it sound like they are just gonna do " Forces but good "

Was it? All I see is the avatars being made fun of. We can have more than one playable character without avatars.
1) They were people really liked those
2) Yes we can. Shadow was playable in forces and people liked that. That's why I mean someone else was playable other than sonic.

Those were about the two things I saw people really liked. Also the idea of a bit more serious sonic story. Though poorly executed

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Even though the level design left a lot to be desired, the Shadow DLC was pretty much the only enjoyment I was able to squeeze out of Forces, weirdly enough.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The fire tests gold line makes it sound like they are just gonna do " Forces but good "

1) They were people really liked those
2) Yes we can. Shadow was playable in forces and people liked that. That's why I mean someone else was playable other than sonic.

Those were about the two things I saw people really liked. Also the idea of a bit more serious sonic story. Though poorly executed
But how many people liked the Avatars? There are Sonic fans that like stuff that most people don't, I mean I like the Werehog but I'm not going to argue that it wasn't hated. Personally I'm against avatars, not just because all I see is people making fun of them but also because I really don't think Sonic is a series that should have avatars outside of some sort of spinoff game, it feels like a waste of resources. Just let me play as more of the actual characters like Knuckles.