• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Really? At least here in Germany I don't think there is much nostalgia for Sega.
In the UK I'd say theres a good amount especially for the listed games. Sonic was huge of course but also the Master System did decently well here with Alex Kidd coming with most systems sold. And as for Outrun I'd say virtually every half decent seaside arcade I ever went in as a kid had a cabinet.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for Virtua Racing. After that I'm only interested on G-Loc. I think 3DS line-up was better. I need more Model 1 and Model 2 games!!

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
What a welcome change, I'm curious as to how we got here. It feels like for the longest time being interested in retro games meant the Nintendo and Super Nintendo and not much else. More and more it feels like systems like the Mega Drive and Master System or even the TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo, etc are getting more and more enthusiasm from a bigger audience.

I wonder what the main contributors for this might be. My first thought is the increase in indie games that point back to a lot of these originals. Another thought is emulation but I feel like if that were the biggest contributing factor interest in these kind of games would have arrived well before now. Maybe it's just that as mainstream audiences become more and more familiar with video games the enthusiasts are burrowing more and more into niche? SEGA is hardly niche, but nicher than say, Nintendo.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Kodama (Sega Ages lead producer and director) went on to confirm this, saying people in western countries seemed to really appreciate them. Again, she noted, "… Out Run and Alex Kidd in Miracle World are so popular in Europe! I was surprised by that."

:: Releases modern ports of classic games in region where SMS/MD was popular::
:: Games sell incredibly well ::
SEGA: pikachu-shocked.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah correct me if im wrong but if M2 are the ones doing the work on these ports, don't they basically build them from the ground up for each piece of hardware the games run on?
i'm not sure, you mean they port the games to natively run on the hardware? i thought they just make really good emulators.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Good, I was worried they were doing bad and they wouldn't get to some of the other games I wanted. I remember them talking about Dreamcast and it got me really excited. I also would love Saturn since that would mean I get to maybe play Panzer Dragoon Saga.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't a port beg but why do these ports/remakes seem tied to Nintendo consoles? I know the original Ages were ps2 only as well. Seems like they would do gangbusters spread around on other machines.

I would pay handsomely for that virtua racing port on pc for example
M2 is tiny and can only do so much. For Sega they tend to focus on just one or two platforms/initiatives at a time because that's what their workflow can handle but there is sometimes overlap. Looking back:

Sega Ages 2500 (PS2) 2005-2008
Virtual Console (Wii) 2006-2012
Sega Ages Online (360/PS3) 2012
Virtual Console (3DS) 2012-2013
3D Classics (3DS) 2012-2016
Sega Ages (NSW) 2018-ongoing
MegaDrive Mini (MD) 2019

I agree there's an opportunity on other platforms for Sega Ages (Steam in particular) but the best option for ports might be if they're outsourced to another dev. Maybe Sega West (Europe) could handle that.

Do you have a source on that data?
I ask because Hamster has more games on PS4 than Switch, for example.
Hamster announced over 1m Arcade Archives sold on Switch alone early last year. They've never given that milestone for another platform and actually they announced ACA NeoGeo across all platforms combined passed 1m around the same time (meaning Switch likely announced for the majority of that too).

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
"Why isn't M2 doing everything?!?!"
Some of you need to chillax with this sorta talk.

M2 is already working on Sega Ages, the MD/Genesis Mini, their ShotTriggers line, and various other projects.
They do a ridiculous amount of work for a small team.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Hamster announced over 1m Arcade Archives sold on Switch alone early last year. They've never given that milestone for another platform and actually they announced ACA NeoGeo across all platforms combined passed 1m around the same time (meaning Switch likely announced for the majority of that too).
OK, then.
Sega Ages 2500 (PS2) 2005-2008
Virtual Console (Wii) 2006-2012
Sega Ages Online (360/PS3) 2012
Virtual Console (3DS) 2012-2013
3D Classics (3DS) 2012-2016
Sega Ages (NSW) 2018-ongoing
MegaDrive Mini (MD) 2019
They're also working on the Castlevania and Contra collections for Konami.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few thoughts:

- The game lineup has been pretty disappointing, with a few exceptions
- The 3D Classics line had a genuine "hook" to entice users to purchase these games
- If you're seeing greater interest outside of Japan, perhaps you should prioritize the western markets a bit more than you currently are

Disappointing sales in Japan isn't remotely surprising.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I use to turn on Yakuza 0 to play Out Run but since it came out on Ages I got it that way to play it.

I'm hoping this means they try to launch it in the same time as the west when it comes to future releases

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Since nobody commented on this in this thread, I guess port begging is looked badly upon only when it is by Switch owners and not when it is for the rare thing that is only on Switch (I thought of reporting but then I'd have to include quite a few posts here including a moderator's...)

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Sega making bank on classics is good to hear

new 2D stuff like Sonic Mania, Dragon's Trap, Monster Boy, and SoR 4 is also welcome

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
It's tempting to view the producers' comments as out-of-touch (less so for Kodama since I doubt she's that ignorant or ill-informed about overseas classic SEGA passion), but I'll give them the benefit of doubt so long as they start researching non-East Asian classic game markets more often. Many Japanese players, especially the older ones who can only play on the train to work, are likely satisfied with 3DS versions of games now getting Switch repeats, which would partially explain the disappointing sales. The other issue is that M2's having to divide staff between SEGA AGES and the Genesis Mini, at least for now, so they're not pursuing the more experimental projects which highlighted the 3DS catalog.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They're also working on the Castlevania and Contra collections for Konami.
Yeah they've always done other retro projects and collections for other publishers too, including Konami, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Tozai Games, SNK, Taito, Hamster, D4 Enterprise, Nintendo and M2 themselves.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah they've always done other retro projects and collections for other publishers too, including Konami, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Tozai Games, SNK, Taito, Hamster, D4 Enterprise, Nintendo and M2 themselves.
Yes, I know. They did Capcom Arcade Cabinet and Neo Geo Station last gen.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
i'm not sure, you mean they port the games to natively run on the hardware? i thought they just make really good emulators.
They tend to do both a fair bit. Most of the arcade games they released in 3D on 3DS were pretty much redone from the ground up, with the Genesis/Master System titles running on a tricked out, beefier emulator for those respective consoles. AFAIK, pretty much all the Sega Ages Switch stuff is emulation, though I believe they said obtaining Virtua Racing's original source code helped immensely in getting some of the extra features and performance improvements implemented.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Dont think putting the ages titles on "other" consoles(cause its ok to portbeg if its not for switch apparently) will help with the meh sales in Japan, considering the current marketplace there.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh look, Japan with shit taste? What a surprise!

Just release everything in the west first sega, clearly the market that actually responds positively to this. And port Skies of Arcadia while you're at it damn it!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
isn't that one getting a remaster?

It is, but it's from a totally unproven studio. The originals are still absolutely worth releasing.

Has there ever been any indication that Sega Ages is going to feature Saturn games though? I see this mentioned all the time

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they ever found out that Master System was the go-to 8-bit console in Europe until the Mega Drive came along?

And yeah, Out Run was a big deal even on home computers at the time.

6M96Fs.jpg

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Dont think putting the ages titles on "other" consoles(cause its ok to portbeg if its not for switch apparently) will help with the meh sales in Japan, considering the current marketplace there.
Yes. The reality is Switch is going to be the biggest market for Sega Ages in every major region too. The disappointment in Japan isn't a result of platform selection and if anything choosing PS4, XBO or PC instead would've resulted in even worse sales there.

If Sega and M2 hadto pick just one system then Switch was the obvious choice. And it's workingout pretty well overseas at least. Hopefully that's ti get Wave 2 greenlit.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic 2 is in the cards for Sega Ages - was announced a while back - but no release date's been revealed for it yet.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Alex Kidd was built in too most Master Systems here so no surprise its popular

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Not sure what's funnier, Sega of Japan's shockedpikachu.gif at the popularity of Sega Ages outside of Japan, or all the shameless port begging in this thread.

I'd like to see M2 tackle more of Sega's Dreamcast and arcade libraries, myself. The Master System and Megadrive/Genesis stuff has been redone many times already; give other games more love...