• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
A friend offered me his Saturn, but seeing the polymega`s beta, I'm hesitant to take it. Has any of you tried it? do you think it'll be worth it over OG hardware (plus scaler)?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
A friend offered me his Saturn, but seeing the polymega`s beta, I'm hesitant to take it. Has any of you tried it? do you think it'll be worth it over OG hardware (plus scaler)?
OG hardware is always preferred imo, except you want the "all-in one" package but keep in mind that the Saturn emulation isn't 100% compatible and has glitches. And I doubt they will iron everything out to a point where they reach 100% compatibility. But you may not even need to be able to play every game, so it depends what is more important to you.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Since the Saturn is a mess of multiple processors which have to sync together, I doubt emulation will always be 100%. I'm a big believer in real hardware + everdrive/ODE.

Has it always been known that Panzer Dragoon Zwei can be played with the Shuttle Mouse?

Has it also been known that it's by far the best way to play the game?

Serious - I don't think I can ever play it with a controller pad ever again.

On a related note, I think Panzer Dragoon Zwei might have the most compatible controllers on the Saturn.

3D Controller, Shuttle Mouse, Mission Stick, and infamously, dual Mission Sticks - the only known game to use that mode. That makes for a total of 5 (regular controller)

Out of all those, the Shuttle Mouse wins. Definitely give it a try if you have one!

Last edited:

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Man can't find any good copies of what I'm looking for.
Dragon Force
Decathlete
Three Dirty Dwarves
Shinobi Legions

If anyone sees any good complete NA copies that are clean would be cool to give me a heads up.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Maybe I'll get lucky. Asking a guy that's selling his whole collection if he'd sell me what I need piece meal. I'd get everything except Dragon Force (his is sealed not paying that crazy price).

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
A few years ago I remember just buying the JP import version of 3 Dirty Dwarves cuz it was cheaper, but all the cartoon cuscenes were dubbed in Japanese, lol. IIRC any of the text just remained untranslated English though.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
If you like Decathlete, I'd also recommend its sequel Winter Heat.

The JP version is pretty cheap I'll pick that up as well at some point.

Also ugh every game I want to buy all the decent listings are all in lots for obscene amounts of money. Like 3-5x of the worth of each game. Still tossing offers out there though. Who the hell buys these lots?

Last edited:

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Three Dirty Dwarves out of the way. Someone posted a nice Shinobi Legions, but they want factory sealed prices for it even though it's only complete so that's a hard pass. Might have a line on a Dragon Force as well.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Yeah but why use an emulator which, especially given how complicated, is never going to be as good as the real thing. If you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on a retro setup, I think it'd be better to just get an OSSC and real hardware. Then you also get to avoid that disgusting looking controller too.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
The video below looks into the Saturn emulation on the Polymega
www.youtube.com

Is the PolyMega really the Ultimate All-In-One Retro Console ? | MVG

PolyMega All in One retro game console is here! As a part of the PolyMega beta test I received my unit last week. In this video we take a close look at the s...

Below overview is also worth a watch if your interested in the Polymega
www.youtube.com

DF Direct! Polymega In-Depth Preview: The Ultimate Retro All-In-One Console?

Original games, original peripherals for all major retro consoles... on a single all-in-one retro unit? The Polymega aims to be the one-stop-shop for everyth...

To summarise though emulation is good, as they've worked with some of the best emulation developers, but it is still emulation and doesn't perfectly match the original consoles.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Yeah I bought one. I don't like taxing my old disk based systems, and I also have games for everything it supports so that's cool. Also bought a USB Saturn controller for it as well.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I was casually reading the OP and saw that it still recommends Yabause and SSF over Beetle Saturn/Mednafen. Is there any reason to use either of those over Beetle Saturn at this point? I've been using Beetle Saturn in retroarch for about two years now and it has worked better for me than either of the others, so I'm just curious. It basically turned my Saturn Emulation experience from lackluster to fantastic with almost no tinkering.

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The libretro core is a couple updates behind the standalone and both have high input lag.

If it's serving you fine though, I see no reason to switch to anything else.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The libretro core is a couple updates behind the standalone and both have high input lag.

If it's serving you fine though, I see no reason to switch to anything else.
Interesting. I play on a CRT monitor but haven't really noticed much input lag, but I assume it matters more for games other than the ones I've been playing (Panzer Dragoon series, deep fear, enemy zero etc).

I was just under the impression that if your hardware supported it Mednafen was the way to go, so I was surprised to see SSF still recced haha.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Got a perfect Shinobi Legions yesterday for pretty cheap $90, and a perfect Dragon Force for a bit over what it's currently going for $241. Would have been way cheaper but someone tried out bidding me at the last minute. Some how the hardest game to find has been Decathlete even though it's the cheaper and more common of the 4 I was going for. Three Dirty Dwarves should be coming in today. The one I bought said it had light scratches, but they didn't show up in the pictures so they should be very light and the game should work fine.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Just went and got the mail. This thing is super clean, even the scratches the guy said it had are beyond small and there's only two.
LY0sOV2.jpg

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Vic Tokai published this game in the U.S.??

But...why? SoA was so bizarre during the Saturn era.

Yeah. I'm guessing Sega of America had their hands too full in 1995 to publish everything coming out of Japan, so they let other companies publish a few things. Time Warner ported Virtua Racing to the Saturn (and added a bunch of exclusive content to it, too) around the same time that Vic Tokai published Shinobi Legions, actually.

Yeah. I'm guessing Sega of America had their hands too full in 1995 to publish everything coming out of Japan, so they let other companies publish a few things. Time Warner ported Virtua Racing to the Saturn (and added a bunch of exclusive content to it, too) around the same time that Vic Tokai published Shinobi Legions, actually.

Ah - I was thinking it was partially due to their anti-2D policy, but if they didn't even publish Virtua Racing, I'm probably off on that.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Have any of you ever purchased a replacement battery/expansion bay cover for the rear of the console? Where might I find a quality one?

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've decided to take new pics of my game collection, and I realized that the pics I posted back in summer of 2018 were missing stuff I had then, plus missing some stuff I got since. They also kinda just sucked. So here's a new pic. The Saturn is hooked up to my CRT TV as it always is, so just some papers and stuff are in the console box right now.

m7vs2nW.jpg

Still want to get more games, but damn are a lot of them expensive. Glad I got most of my collection back in '90s while it was still affordable.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
So hyped it showed up. Could use a big chunky game to play right now.
Din6oFn.jpg

And with that I have kicked out all of the sports games that I got with the system around 2006. Most likely going to kick out ID4 and Criticom and replace them with more quality games next.
QskQTxz.jpg

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT:

Despite a downgraded port of the PSX classic I am still happy with this Saturn version. Yes the slowdown is apparent and you can feel it while the player plays through this recording. What impresses me most is that the details and animation (although some seem odd but then it could be a design choice) are overall still above a lot of other high quality games.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
So hyped it showed up. Could use a big chunky game to play right now.
Din6oFn.jpg

And with that I have kicked out all of the sports games that I got with the system around 2006. Most likely going to kick out ID4 and Criticom and replace them with more quality games next.
QskQTxz.jpg
No Saturn collection is complete without Dragon Force, it's that good.

Now go play it and find out why. :)
(Shout outs to red box Night Trap and Rise of the Dragon.)

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
So I am getting back into the Saturn again after selling my console last year but kept my rgb cable and Pseudo Saturn on a Pro Action Replay Plus as I couldn't find a buyer on ebay. I originally got rid of the Saturn after I started getting into buying physical games for the consoles I owned and not wanting to deal with the high price the Saturn games go for along not really wanting too much at the time.

This changed now there is a ton of fighting games I want and it not a bad thing just import them since they only have English text in the endings which I could always look on Youtube. Problem is that Pseudo Saturn...there are games that I would import that need the extra ram and I imagining it doesn't let you use it anymore when it flash to a Pseudo Saturn. I am not really into playing burned discs anymore so I am fine with reverting it back, but what games would have major problems with it or would I be okay as it is?

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Flashing an Action Replay with PseudoSaturn Kai eliminates your ability to save games to its storage space. But you'll definitely still have access to the expanded RAM for games like Vampire Savior and other Capcom fighting games.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'm wondering if the Saturn community here can help me. I thought I had a full PAL Saturn set collected over the last two decades, but as I was taking stock recently, one title I thought I had bought ten years ago turns out to be missing after all: Space Jam. It's a licensed game and a really mediocre attempt at cloning NBA Jam without any of the Looney Tunes charm and I thought, "hey, can't imagine it will be hard to track, nobody's gonna go feel nostalgic over it". Oh, but of course it wouldn't be easy

I have been looking all over for the past month with no success. The few copies on eBay are all damaged or incomplete. Facebook groups don't have anything. Local classified web sites don't have anything. And I can't tell you how much I'm kicking myself for forgetting to buy this one when I had the chance back then.

So, uh, maybe one of you guys know of a local retro shop that has it? Or maybe you can keep an eye out? Or maybe even one of you has it forgotten about in some closet and wouldn't mind selling it to me? Any lead will help.

Looks like this:

ZOqb0Mp.jpg

You'll probably notice how the left side is all scratched. This is a common occurrence for this sort of case. It gets much worse when stores glued stickers on it and then people peeled them off, leaving large tears across the front and the back, which is why it's hard to find in a decent condition.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Have you tried the amazon marketplaces?
I did. FR, ES, DE, IT, and of course UK.

But! I just checked all those again and DE now has a copy that's even listed as being "like new"! No photos, but I guess I'll take the risk and then return it if it's not according to the description. Thanks for mentioning the marketplaces! It was totally worth checking them out again.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Local Disc Replay reopened and of course wearing a mask I visited and pick up this for $40.

XFkMUZv.jpg

Front cover is just a print but that is way better price then ebay.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Might have to try that out. Also ordered the manual for Dirty Dwarves on ebay for 20. It was cheaper since the front cover has a tiny cut on the corner.