• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
While present on console, on the PC version of Yakuza 4 and 5 Sega removed the pachinko minigames and related completion list requirements for no apparent reason. People tried to ask about this on Twitter but apparently Sega didn't answer.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
That's weird, maybe they can't depict Pachinko in certain regions or something.

I imagine they could get modded back in though

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
That's pretty crazy especially after Yakuza 3 getting rid of content sparked such a fuss back in the day.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
They're behind a (free) DLC download in Yakuza 7 on Xbox too I think?

Wonder if there's some issue they've got including them in the base game now. Weird gambling related restrictions?

Oct 27, 2017
That's odd, but not a wonder why nobody noticed considering pachinko is pretty much just sitting there doing nothing.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I would've thought licensing issues but they're probably all Sammy pachinko machines. Is Donki retained in the old games?

Wonder if there's some issue they've got including them in the base game now. Weird gambling related restrictions?

It was the same on the initial PS4 release in Asia too.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
probably cuz nobody getting to it yet lol, gotta get through 7 and 3 first

OP
OP
YuSuzzune

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
On the XBox one version of the remastered pachinko is here, so I doubt it is a license issue.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shot in the dark, maybe it's in depicting gambling on Steam's store?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
There were some people talking about it. There was some speculation that it's because it's on Steam, a global platform, and sold in countries where there's very strict anti-gambling laws.

And that would also be why the pachinko in Yakuza 7 Like A Dragon was a completely separate, free download, because that download could simply just not be offered in certain regions.

But I don't know... I didn't like the pachinko in Yakuza 7 so I didn't care enough to look at the conversation very deeply.

luminosity

"This guy are sick"
Oct 30, 2017
My mind leapt to the fact that Sega's pachinko business was recently walled off from their video games business.

Amazing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
im guessing noone is talking about it because they've never really been a major focus in much of the quests or sidequests

even mahjong gets some love every once in a while

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I beat all of Yakuza 7 with the Pachinko DLC and never once found a machine lol.

Regardless, would be nice to have an answer though.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I beat all of Yakuza 7 with the Pachinko DLC and never once found a machine lol.
you gotta enter the pachinko place for that, if you enter without the DLC even tells you that it's needed.

Yakuza-Like-a-Dragon-Pachinko-Slots-1.png

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there's anyone who would change their mind on buying this because they took the pachinko machines out. If you're going to say something like "I refuse to buy the game with cut content" or something that's not what I mean. I mean specifically the pachinko machines.

I'm not gonna lie: I tried the pachinko machines in 4 and later again in 7 and I don't understand pachinko! It's loud and weird and it doesn't make any sense. And I understand and enjoy Riichi Mahjong!

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there's anyone who would change their mind on buying this because they took the pachinko machines out. If you're going to say something like "I refuse to buy the game with cut content" or something that's not what I mean. I mean specifically the pachinko machines.

I'm not gonna lie: I tried the pachinko machines in 4 and later again in 7 and I don't understand pachinko! It's loud and weird and it doesn't make any sense. And I understand and enjoy Riichi Mahjong!
Its like pinball without flippers (which is kinda how pinball started). You simply "aim" for certain parts on the board to gain more balls to shoot. Certain spots will trigger an event (sometimes called a reach/Riichi) that will usually start a cutscene or slots for a chance to win a jackpot. You get more balls that way. Rinse and repeat.

I would be upset because I find Pachinko super fascinating and a big part, along with mahjong, of why I got into Yakuza in the first place. So I'll stick to my PS4 versions then.

Oct 27, 2017
Folks way overreacted back then too. Didn't that amount to a missing arcade game that was a Japanese pop culture quiz that they chose not to localize?
Nope.

It had like 20 sub stories, the hostess dating mini game and a bunch other content that was removed for no reason other than "west won't like them". One of the sub stories is a trans positive one that would have been great.

It returned in the remaster thankfully.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed on the Xbox release that they removed all the magazines from the convience store. I believe Yakuza 5 is the first time I have been able to look at them

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's Pachi Slots, not Pachinko. The Pachinko stuff in 4 and 5 are full on Pachinko machines - one based on Aladdin (or a version of Aladdin) and another based on Virtua Fighter 4 Evo. Not sure if its a licensing thing (though one would think Sega should at least have some control over their own IP!)

Its a really weird thing but I saw it mentioned on a Yakuza discord. Unfortunately its one of those time where the majority opinion was "glad its gone, I hated it" so no one cares, basically the same thing as Judge Eyes cutting that shit pinball machine in the PS5/Xbox Series/Stadia port. People aint mad because it was a terrible part of the game.

I'm against cuts though, its annoying that the remasters break and remove random stuff. First it was just the magazine covers and Answer X Answer in the PS4 remasters of 3 - along with some odd bugs tied to the 60FPS frame rate like bowling being slightly off or how the dodge move would sometimes cause you to spin 360 degrees around an enemy instead of 180... Then when the remaster of 5 came along (on the PS4) we lost the readable manga. Then for the Western versions, the Don Quixote song was patched out of 3-5 after a few months (if you play the unpatched disk release, you still get the song at least). Then the PC ports of the remasters break other stuff like bowling getting even worse with the aiming speed being increased 200%, or how the dodge was nerfed to try and correct the previous dodge issue, only now it barely dodges at all!

Its a mix of licensing nightmares and a lack of care. I still prefer the (console) remasters just due to the FPS and res boosts, the PS3 games while slightly more complete are not my preferred ways of playing them. QLOC at least seems on the case for the PC stuff, once a few patches are out, along with mods I'll migrate over to those so I can enjoy them with the Japanese soundtracks.

That was already removed in the Western version of the PS4 remasters and may have been removed in the Japanese release as well.

Its gone in the Japanese releases as well unfortunately. Licensing I imagine, much like how the hostesses and hostess clubs in 3 have weird licensing agreements so the girls and club names had to be changed in the remaster of 3 (though the dialogue remained 100% unchanged)

Folks way overreacted back then too. Didn't that amount to a missing arcade game that was a Japanese pop culture quiz that they chose not to localize?
No, it wasn't over reaction. AxA wasn't the only thing cut. It was one of MANY things cut. For example:
Music from 3 was cut - the intro song (Loser) and one particular song that plays in chapter 11 were removed.

20 side stories were completely removed. These include certain important side stories that continue on from Yakuza 1&2 (the Akimoto and Mizuki stuff that finishes their plot in 3), a comedian side story that continues on from Yakuza 2, another side story that then continues in Yakuza 4 (which hilariously makes no sense back in the day when you do the 4 side story, because it references events that English speaking players never experienced).

Then you have a certain side story tied to the Massage Parlor - though the mini game is cut in the localisation on the PS3 so the side story (a somewhat trans positive story where the trans masseuse and Kiryu interact - its a pretty good side story so well worth looking up - one made more silly to be cut considering the person that "plays" this character in Yakuza 3 is a real trans person, and works closely with Sega/Nagoshi of RGGS for all their promo/streams.

Then you have any mini games that were seen as "not interesting to a overseas audience" - Sega's response, not mine. So bye bye all hostess clubs, hostess maker, Shogi, Mahjong etc. As someone who likes this stuff, it was a slap in the face.

Then there's also silly stuff like stupid translations for names and other inaccuracies. Sega deserved to catch shit back in the day trying to chop out a big part of what makes the series so unique. I'd dread to think what would have happened if people didn't call Sega out for that causing more entries to cut content...

Last edited:

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020

Haha yeah. I was actually kind of excited to try Pachinko when I made it to Yakuza 4 since you always see the big flashy signs for it, but when I finally was able to give it a whirl I found it baffling and not much fun.

I once tried to learn Mahjong in the game but it was just too much, I wanted to beat people up instead. It's kind of impressive that they even put in the work to localize it.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If all that is lost was pachinko, who cares. those were the worst minigames in Yakuza since they were entirely random bologna. Totally un-fun. Nothing would be missed except watching some balls until you get a video.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If all that is lost was pachinko, who cares. those were the worst minigames in Yakuza since they were entirely random bologna. Totally un-fun. Nothing would be missed except watching some balls until you get a video.
Well for one, JCC is vastly worse than Pachinko was in any of the Yakuza games. So if anything should be cut, it should have been that. Would almost make Yakuza 0 perfect in my eyes.
But really, I don't want them to cut anything. Its potentially a slippery slope and one that they've just managed to correct after last gen (both with Yakuza 3's botched release back in the day, and little stuff like all the music being licensed for all regions now - not just Japan).

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This is missing in all western release of Yakuza 4 remastered, or at least I thought so (EDIT - seems to be related to files being available if on PC and some licensing things..?), meanwhile a bunch of cut content from the original release has been included, so overall win I'd guess. It is likely due to translation issues / relevance to western audience in most cases.

More meaningful however is the ability to put other cut content and all content relating to one of the main characters being recast, back into the game on PC.
This is my first time playing Yakuza 4 so I'm trying it with the mods so the original actor, cutscenes etc are all in, and then will try it in its "new" actor / model / censored bits on a subsequent playthrough

steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: Yakuza 4 Hiroki Narimiya Restoration Patch

This guide will instruct you on how to restore the original voice and likeness of Masayoshi Tanimura as portrayed by Hiroki Narimiya, along with licensed music, higher quality videos from PS3 version
steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Guide :: Yakuza 4 Licensed Music and Uncensor Restoration Patch

This guide will instruct you on how to restore the licensed music that was cut from the western version of Yakuza 4, as well as uncensor the game....

In the first chapter there is cut joke that I found interesting... because in all remastered versions, the translation has been changed, but the audio has not, and one key word is in English, so it's pretty clear that the translation is wrong if you hear that word.
I can see why they did that, but in context, it seems more valuable to be left in for the sake of developing the characters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
YuSuzzune

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
The thing that bothers me it's the paching machines are missing from the PC version only. On XBox One and PS4 are here, and Sega simply cut the content, also removing the related achievements from the PC version for no reason.
So much to have a "complete" version of Yakuza 3 and now we have a butchered version.
Do I like to play paching machines? No.
But on Steam I paid exactly the same price of XBox One users only to have two games with missing content.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
There were some people talking about it. There was some speculation that it's because it's on Steam, a global platform, and sold in countries where there's very strict anti-gambling laws.

While Steam is available worldwide (with a few sanction-related exceptions), each country technically has its own store, and publishers can control where a game is available for purchase and even prevent users in unsupported regions from receiving a gift copy or activating a retail key (case in point: Yakuza: Like a Dragon, no less), so the issue isn't that Steam = global availability. My guess is that there's some sort of licensing-related wrinkle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
YuSuzzune

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
While Steam is available worldwide (with a few sanction-related exceptions), each country technically has its own store, and publishers can control where a game is available for purchase and even prevent users in unsupported regions from receiving a gift copy or activating a retail key (case in point: Yakuza: Like a Dragon, no less), so the issue isn't that Steam = global availability. My guess is that there's some sort of licensing-related wrinkle.
For Steam only? It seems strange to me.
And yeah, the global version argument doesn't stand, because Like a Dragon has a pachinko dlc and Sega can do the same for Y3 and Y4 if they want.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked the Pachislot DLC for Yakuza 7 on Steam people were mentioning, and apparently it breaks the game? It's sitting at mostly negative reviews, with a bunch saying as much.

store.steampowered.com

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Pachislot Machines on Steam

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Pachislot Machines adds four Pachislot mini games to parlors around the city.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
And yeah, the global version argument doesn't stand, because Like a Dragon has a pachinko dlc and Sega can do the same for Y3 and Y4 if they want.
I just checked the Pachislot DLC for Yakuza 7 on Steam people were mentioning, and apparently it breaks the game? It's sitting at mostly negative reviews, with a bunch saying as much.

store.steampowered.com

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Pachislot Machines on Steam

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Pachislot Machines adds four Pachislot mini games to parlors around the city.

Huh, interesting. Virtually all the negative reviews mention that installing the DLC either outright breaks the game or that the machines are inoperable. Maybe Sega removed them wholesale from the remasters as a precaution? Regardless, the situation needs some clarity.