• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I haven't been a big Sonic player since the late-2000s, but I feel for some of you. Removing the original releases to "brute force" people into getting the new collection is a corporate dick move. Locking features of the games behind a paywall to artificially create DLC is an insult.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Thanks. I remember popping the Sonic 2 and 3 cartridges into the S&K one on the Genesis way back in the day (almost 30 years ago!). But I could not for the life of me remember which levels were from 3 and which were S&K, or which were on both.

Basically Sonic 3 was originally intended to be Sonic 3 & Knuckles and, long story short, SEGA had to keep a release date due to tons of cross-promotions with Sonic 3 (McDonald's Happy Meal lol). The game was effectively cut in half and they finished the Sonic & Knuckles portion and released it as a lock-on later that year.

Sonic 3 was so imported in Japan, as SoJ was going to wait to release a "complete" Sonic 3 in that region, SoJ's hand was forced to releasing it anyways there so Sonic 3 as a complete, singular title never was fully realized in an official capacity. Two halves of what was to be the same game.

I haven't been a big Sonic player since the late-2000s, but I feel for some of you. Removing the original releases to "brute force" people into getting the new collection is a corporate dick move. Locking features of the games behind a paywall to artificially create DLC is an insult.

There really aren't game impacting features locked behind a paywall???

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Advocating Piracy

Yeah, it's a super bullshitty move. Hence why they did it. I was always happy to "Ahoy matey" the old Sonic games, because I've already bought them like 16 times. I wasn't planning on buying Origins, because I already own all the games in it.

HOWEVER - I do think this move was good for people like the ones who made Sonic 3 AIR. Because I had never heard of it before, and now playing it, it has dethroned Mania, in my eyes, as the best 2D Sonic game.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The games haven't gotten discounted anywhere yet... Come on, ye stingy bastards. Flip the switch, release the keys, whatever!

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
I saw that Sonic 3 A.I.R. was mentioned, but I'd encourage everyone to look into Sonic 1 Forever and Sonic 2 Absolute as well.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
And 5$ is cheep. dont expect a sale on games they are choosing to take down.

I got Ducktales*, Castle of Illusion* and other games discounted when those were about to be delisted. I think more often than not there's some kind of sale.

(* these were eventually relisted!)

Oct 29, 2017
Uh, it says I have "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" in my Steam Library when I go to that listing on the store ($4.99), yet when I search it in my library, it's not showing up?

SirShorse

Jul 16, 2020
Uh, it says I have "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" in my Steam Library when I go to that listing on the store ($4.99), yet when I search it in my library, it's not showing up?

Do you perhaps have the SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics? Look it up, it should show up as DLC there. I bought the remaining of those four games I didn't have yet and I was really hoping for separate library listings, but this will have to do I guess

Oct 29, 2017
Do you perhaps have the SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics? Look it up, it should show up as DLC there. I bought the remaining of those four games I didn't have yet and I was really hoping for separate library listings, but this will have to do I guess
Ah thank you, yes I do so it's there. Yeah kinda weird to have it live under this listing but it's better than nothing.

Edit: Just tested out this Classics collection on Steam. The input lag is atrocious.

Last edited:

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Glad I remembered this is happening. For whatever reason I never bought S1 and S3&K. Just added a reminder for the day before to buy them, since it doesn't look like there's going to be any discount.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Ah thank you, yes I do so it's there. Yeah kinda weird to have it live under this listing but it's better than nothing.

Edit: Just tested out this Classics collection on Steam. The input lag is atrocious.
The games in that collection are just roms that you can find in the collection directory and use with your emulator of choice.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I bought Sonic 1 and 3K, which I was missing. At least I also got 900 points for the Steam points shop out of it...

Do we have any clarity on whether or not this delisting will include 3D Sonic the Hedgehog on the 3DS eShop?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Heads up. The Sonic games appear to have been discounted before the delisting.

Sonic 1 costs 1,97€ on the EU PS3. I imagine it's the same on X360.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Dang it looks like the Sonic titles aren't on sale on Xbox in this region.

I'm only missing Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles on the Xbox. Not sure if I should go for it. I have them all on Steam apparently.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Dang it looks like the Sonic titles aren't on sale on Xbox in this region.

I'm only missing Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles on the Xbox. Not sure if I should go for it. I have them all on Steam apparently.
The Xbox versions were emulated by Backbone, they're not really worth it unless you really want some easy achievements. They even block you from using cheats, since it all uses Backbone's wrapper that replaces all in game menus.
Steam version is still the way to go since it lets you use the AIR mod.

Apr 24, 2018
Just bought the remainder of Sega Medgadrive Genesis collection on Steam, mainly to get Sonic 3...got the Sonic 3 AIR mod...launched Sonic 3 AIR...and it was lagging like hell. The regular version of the game was lagging in Steam a bit, as well. Color me shocked - I virtually never game on PC but wasn't expecting any issues, here.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they delisted Sonic CD, 2, 3 and Knuckles on Xbox store. Sonic 1 is still up

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad this was bumped. I somehow missed this was happening and just grabbed them all on Steam. I thought I had them but they weren't in the Genesis Collection I have. I'm guessing they were added later as DLC or something?

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems I got Sonic 1 & 2 via the "SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics" collection and I also bought "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" some time ago for Sonic AIR. So I think I'm good.

But checking out the games just reminded me: is there a way to play the original "Sonic & Knuckles" without combined with Sonic 3?

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I was able to nab Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, & Sonic CD today, while I need to still pick up Sonic the Hedgehog.

Sonic 2 & 3 ran great, I had nothing but issues with Sonic CD as it ran way to fast and it kept crashing my PC. Any suggestions?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Just a few hours left until Steam store update time. That might be when they get axed. So...

store.steampowered.com

Sonic The Hedgehog on Steam

The evil scientist Dr. Eggman (aka Dr. Robotnik) has snatched the poor animals of South Island and and turned them into robots. Only one hero can defeat Dr. Eggman and rescue the animals from his vile clutches – it’s the super-cool hedgehog with the blue spiky hair, Sonic!
store.steampowered.com

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on Steam

Dr. Eggman (aka Dr. Robotnik) has returned, turning helpless animals into robots and forcing them to build his ultimate weapon, the Death Egg! But this time, Sonic has a friend that can help him: Tails! Find the 7 Chaos Emeralds and stop Dr. Robotnik’s evil scheme!
store.steampowered.com

Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam

Dr. Eggman’s (AKA Dr. Robotnik’s) Death Egg was once again blasted by Sonic, crash-landing on the peak of a volcano on the Floating Island. Dr. Eggman is still at large, and Sonic can’t allow him to get his hands on the Master Emerald and repair the Death Egg. Sonic must also keep Knuckles off...
store.steampowered.com

Sonic CD on Steam

It’s time to usher the past into the future in this enhanced recreation of Sonic CD! Sonic travels to the distant shores of Never Lake for the once-a-year appearance of Little Planet - a mysterious world where past, present, and future collide through the power of the Time Stones that lie hidden...

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Yup, they're all gone from Steam now (at least my region);

Hope Origins is a respectable replacement (and hopefully will be cheaper a couple of months after release...)

Oct 28, 2017
j7lV7uW.png