• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
They're kinda sorta doing the latter by giving the IP to third party developers, like Monster Boy and Streets of Rage 4. Maybe ToeJam and Earl, too, I forget the ownership situation with that one.

They could do a lot more, though. Hopefully it's just a start.
Oh yeah, forget they are doing that. Though im expecting full 3d remakes of old sega games

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I think one of the real unmentioned tragedies of Sega exiting hardware is that it also signaled the end of the steady flow of Sega arcade ports to console. We still got some holdover stuff during the early "hardware agnostic" 3rd party era like Monkey Ball or Beach Spikers, and the AM port team doing digital stuff like VF5FS or Afterburner Climax for a bit after that, but by large you can probably count the number of contemporary Sega Arcade ports after Dreamcast on both hands. Really sad.

Sega still has Hiroshi Kawaguchi doing music for their arcade games (Sega World Drivers Champsionship has a remix of Magical Sound Showers even). He's the composer for Outrun, Fantasy Zone and Space Harrier for god sake. And he is basically gone unknown.

It's insane.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They're kinda sorta doing the latter by giving the IP to third party developers, like Monster Boy and Streets of Rage 4. Maybe ToeJam and Earl, too, I forget the ownership situation with that one.

They could do a lot more, though. Hopefully it's just a start.
They have a lot of licensing deals going tbh.
  • Bayonetta series with Nintendo
  • Monster Boy with Game Atelier
  • Panzer Dragoon remakes with Forever Entertainment
  • Rez Infinite with Enhance Games
  • Shenmue III (and IV?) with Ys Net
  • Space Channel 5 VR with G-Rounding
  • Streets of Rage 4 with Lizardcube
  • The House of the Dead remakes with Forever Entertainment
  • Wonder Boy Returns with CFK Digital
  • Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap with Lizardcube
It seems this largely kept to IP Sega isn't taking an active consumer interest in though. I'd expect active CS IP like Sonic, Yakuza, Puyo Puyo, Sakura Wars, Phantasy Star, Shining, etc, to be off limits. Maybe they'd be open to 3rd party localizations though (like for Virtual-On maybe?).

TJ&E is owned fully by the devs btw. So is Ecco now. Sega only holds (shared) rights over the games they produced but not over the IPs themselves.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It seems this largely kept to IP Sega isn't taking an active consumer interest in though. I'd expect active CS IP like Sonic, Yakuza, Puyo Puyo, Sakura Wars, Phantasy Star, Shining, etc, to be off limits. Maybe they'd be open to 3rd party localizations though (like for Virtual-On maybe?).

TJ&E is owned fully by the devs btw. So is Ecco now. Sega only holds (shared) rights over the games they produced but not over the IPs themselves.

Oh yeah a couple of those slipped my mind. Totally forgot they had anything to do with Rez, too

Really wish they would open the doors for a few more of those more internal franchises, though. A single-player indie-developed Phantasy Star RPG could be so good.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah a couple of those slipped my mind. Totally forgot they had anything to do with Rez, too

Really wish they would open the doors for a few more of those more internal franchises, though. A single-player indie-developed Phantasy Star RPG could be so good.
I want Reiko and the EO-team at Atlus to do Phantasy Star V so bad. šŸ˜­

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017

Let Atlus take a shot a Phantasy Star

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Yeah, they need to slow down on Yakuza.

I have all of the mainline games and Judgment, and I'm only on Kiwami. I think I'll be set for a few years lol

If anything, I think Sonic needs some more love. Give me some remasters or something. Colors HD would be glorious

OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I want Reiko and the EO-team at Atlus to do Phantasy Star V so bad. šŸ˜­

Single player Phantasy Star seems like one of those things that seem more popular in the West. Doubt Atlus has an interrest sadly.

Just like with Streets of Rage, a western indie might be more passionate about it.

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
I think one of the real unmentioned tragedies of Sega exiting hardware is that it also signaled the end of the steady flow of Sega arcade ports to console. We still got some holdover stuff during the early "hardware agnostic" 3rd party era like Monkey Ball or Beach Spikers, and the AM port team doing digital stuff like VF5FS or Afterburner Climax for a bit after that, but by large you can probably count the number of contemporary Sega Arcade ports after Dreamcast on both hands. Really sad.
Yeah, too bad.
But with that strategy, the Japanese arcade sector is protected (or at least they think so). For example, the director of Border Break said in an interview that he did not agree with making a domestic version of the game because "we focus on making games for the arcades." He only gave the green light when he received messages from players who no longer had access to the nearby arcade ...

ThatĀ“s Sega's way of thinking since Sega Interactive was born.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
good piece! as a yakuza fan, it's been crazy watching the series rise to the point of oversaturation, still can't wait for the next one. sonic slowing down seems like it'll change a bit with the announcements this year, no? i may still be one of the only people who kinda dug forces, but i can't wait to see what shows up.

that said, i slept on the last kart racer because dropping all the non sonic characters felt like a step backwards...still wondering how that game turned out.

the sega FES last year in tokyo was a blast! the oversized saturn controller had me hoping they'd show that system love again someday, haha. the Panzer remakes this year (?) stay high on my list.

this thread also reminded me i never imported that M2 3DS box set last gen.

god most of these so far turned out fantastic, too

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think there's too many Sonic games AND Yakuza games.

Bring back some old IP or make some new ones!

Thank god for Streets of Rage 4.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
It's been 3 years between Y6 and Y7.

English localisation has been playing catchup so it feels like a lot more came out.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Localising a 6 year old cross gen title seems like a waste of time, seeing as they are working on getting 7 out in the west

They've been remastering the old games and the new collection did pretty well it looks like, so Yakuza could actually finally be on the upswing in the West. Makes sense to bet on that.

www.resetera.com

UK Charts: PS4 exclusives Yakuza and Dreams crack Top Ten

Top 10: FIFA 20 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Yakuza Remastered Collection Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Grand Theft Auto V Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Minecraft Dreams Luigi's Mansion 3 NBA 2K20 UK Charts: PS4 exclusives Yakuza and Dreams crack Top Ten

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Yakuza is great, but it is like a long running TV show that has gone on too long and just burns out the viewer. Making Yakuza 7 a turn based JRPG is bold, but why not just a new IP?

The developers are really among the greatest talent that SEGA currently has and they have built a franchise that has them in top form, but I feel like they could be doing so much more for SEGA.

Yakuza is still growing in popularity thanks to coming to PC and Xbox bringing in new fans, but I'd rather the releases slowed down and the creators try to make another flagship series that wasn't just more of their typical output. I'd love to see what they could do with a new franchise that actually tried to be like a modern action title.

I also believe they should ramp up the Sonic output, especially with the success of the film. Sonic games just need a bigger budget.

Another thing, it really irks me that the new ChuChu Rocket is locked down to Apple Arcade. I hope it releases on consoles later this year and it is just a timed exclusive.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I adore that Yakuza is getting so much love. It deserves it but maybe slow down a little. Give it a little break as people get through all the current titles and the PC ports release. There is plenty Yakuza for people to play at the moment. Actually localize Ishin and then take a break.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
As a company that was always at the forefront of arcades and testing the waters with new technology, it's rather surprising they're not doing any VR games.

Sega's got some big name franchises that I feel would do great in VR. Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, Space Harrier, and Panzer Dragoon would all be excellent in VR.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
As a company that was always at the forefront of arcades and testing the waters with new technology, it's rather surprising they're not doing any VR games.

Sega's got some big name franchises that I feel would do great in VR. Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, Space Harrier, and Panzer Dragoon would all be excellent in VR.
I believe they're doing some sort of Zombie VR warehouse thing in Japan as well as a VR rollercoaster in one of their arcades. Outside that there's Space Channel 5 VR and that's about it.

I'd pay stupid money for Panzer Dragoon VR

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
They know they are burning people out with Yakuza which is why they switched it to an RPG this time around.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Why would you want more anyway? They haven't been good in ages outside of one that wasn't even produced in house. This would for sure make it worse.
I think from what I said you could derive that I do enjoy Sonic games generally. Of the 2010s I judge the games this way:

Amazing:
Sonic Generations 360
Sonic Mania (Plus)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Colours Wii
Sonic Colours DS

Good:
Sonic Lost World Wii U
Sonic Generations 3DS
Sonic Boom Fire and Ice
Team Sonic Racing
Sonic Forces

OK:
Sonic Lost World 3DS
Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal

Awful:
Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric
Sonic and the Black Knight

As I love platformers, everything from OK onwards is welcome.

Oct 31, 2017
Localising a 6 year old cross gen title seems like a waste of time, seeing as they are working on getting 7 out in the west

They can do both. And whether or not it's a crossgen title is pretty irrelevant considering we only got the PS4 release of Yakuza 0 in the West.

I think there's too many Sonic games AND Yakuza games.

Bring back some old IP or make some new ones!

Thank god for Streets of Rage 4.

I mean, we already got Shenmue 3, Shin Sakura Wars, Wonder Boy... And Panzer Dragoon and SoR are coming back as well. That's pretty good.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I'm just curious what a Phantasy Star Online 3 from current Sega would look like and how soon it could be a thing, given the recent reveal of games like Bandai Namco's Blue Protocol which seem to be going after the same audience with a much newer looking/playing game. PSO2 is 8 years old at this point yet is just now releasing in NA, so the game definitely has some life left in it, but I do think within the next couple of years PSO2 will be at a point where it's outdated from both a development point of view as well as compared to its peers in the same genre.

Afaik PSO2 is the only game the Sega Online division has ever made (followed by the cloud Switch version and now the Xbox version), so it's possible they have already started looking into what a PSO3 could be by now.

Also it would be nice if Virtua Fighter could exist again....

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Afaik PSO2 is the only game the Sega Online division has ever made (followed by the cloud Switch version and now the Xbox version), so it's possible they have already started looking into what a PSO3 could be by now.
Only game on home consoles but they've done a lot more on handhelds, mobile and browser. Off the top of my head Samurai & Dragons, Yakuza Online and Initial D 3DS were some.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, they are. If we can have games like Sekiro, Nioh 1 & 2, & Ghost of Tsushima, then we can surely have those, too.
Sega really missed the boat by not localizing Ishin. It came out really early in the PS4's life when there were still hardly any good Japanese games, it probably would've done well in the west.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Sega really missed the boat by not localizing Ishin. It came out really early in the PS4's life when there were still hardly any good Japanese games, it probably would've done well in the west.
Yeah, it probably could have been the "Yakuza 0" of reviving the series sooner but hey I'm not complaining with how well the series has been going since then.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Sega's really going to continue having directly competitive HD engines developed internally? It seems like a waste of resources to pit CS1 (RGG Studio) and CS2 (Sonic Team) against each other like this and you'd think there'd be a big upside to establishing a shared technology team and engine to serve both groups and maybe also Atlus and the AM teams (who appear to be moving to UE4 more and more).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
To illustrate what I'm talking about:

Magic-V Engine (2008-2012)
  • Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan (PS3)
  • Yakuza 3 (PS3/PS4)
  • Yakuza 4 (PS3/PS4)
  • Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
  • Binary Domain (PS3/360/PC)
"New Yakuza" Engine (2012-2018)
  • Yakuza 5 (PS3/PS4)
  • Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin! (PS3/PS4)
  • Yakuza 0 (PS3/PS4/PC/XBO)
  • Yakuza Kiwami (PS3/PS4/PC/XBO)
  • Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (PS4)
Dragon Engine (2016+)
  • Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4/PC/XBO)
  • Judgement (PS4)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4)
vs

Hedgehog Engine (2008-2016)
  • Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3)
  • Sonic Generations (360/PS3/PC)
  • Sonic: Lost World (WU/PC)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (WU)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (WU) *contains HE2 code
Hedgehog Engine 2 (2017+)
  • Sonic Forces (NSW/PS4/XBO/PC)
  • Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game (NSW/PS4/XBO/PC)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (NSW)
  • Sakura Wars (PS4)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dooble

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
I actually read that the Dragon Engine uses stuff from Binary Domain, rather than being on the same engine as Magical V.

Sega seemingly always develops from scratch still for each new game...heck, the new arcade games don't all use UE4 either.

However they do seemingly share more technology nowadays, the new Sakura Wars clearly uses some Yakuza stuff for the cutscenes.

Supaidaman

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
I actually read that the Dragon Engine uses stuff from Binary Domain, rather than being on the same engine as Magical V.

Sega seemingly always develops from scratch still for each new game...heck, the new arcade games don't all use UE4 either.

However they do seemingly share more technology nowadays, the new Sakura Wars clearly uses some Yakuza stuff for the cutscenes.
And it also uses the Hedgehog Engine as stated before. It's just an engine for graphics, it has nothing to do with physics and other stuff.

But I don't think they could, for instance, readily use the Dragon Engine for a new Sonic game. Maybe switching everything to Unreal would be a better choice.