• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making this thread for fellow junior member P-Tux7, here's his post:

As a huge SEGA fan, this is going to pain me to say. I love their approval of fan projects (most recently the fan effort to resurrect Sonic Runners as a freeware app), the pro-trans/genderfluid/crossdressing character creator in Sonic Forces, and how, unlike companies such as Nintendo, they have enough humility to make fun of things that people didn't like. However...

Every time Atlus does something bone-headed when it comes to gender and sexuality themes, both NeoGAF and Resetera were/are thankfully quick to call it out. From Yosuke's "haha gay" jokes to SMTxFE's lewd outfits to Persona 5's rapey gay couple, people always roll their eyes at whatever cringey thing Atlus puts out in the 21st century. However, I'd like to point out that...

SEGA owns Atlus!

Why aren't we pointing the finger at this otherwise-liberal company for letting Atlus run rampant and completely disrespect women, gay people, and transgender people? I can understand letting a child company do its thing, but this money from the SMT series ultimately goes to SEGA.

I'd like to request that we keep this in mind whenever Atlus does something bad, that SEGA could have stopped them. Please do what you can to stop this - Twitter, email to SEGA, etc.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'd rather SEGA not meddle, and instead have ATLUS grown by itself based on consumer feedback. If they don't, then well, that's on them, and then you need to draw your own conclusions.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I think the only way that they will care is if the japanese public makes enough of a stink, since generally japanese companies really couldn't care less about western players' opinions. This applies to not only Atlus directly, but I wouldn't be surprised if it applied to Sega itself which historically has had issues with how they treat the western market.

So basically just trying to magnify the voices of the japanese LGBT+ community and such, I think are the best ways to get their attention.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather SEGA not meddle, and instead have ATLUS grown by itself based on consumer feedback. If they don't, then well, that's on them, and then you need to draw your own conclusions.

I don't see how sega "meddling" and Atlus "growing by consumer feedback" is functionally any different when what's being discussed is Atlus no longer being sexist and anti-LGBT.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Eventually a big enough stink will be made that Sega put their foot down, it's one of those things you just know will blow up on social media after someone does a good critique video or article.

It's a shame it'll take that.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Eventually a big enough stink will be made that Sega put their foot down, it's one of those things you just know will blow up on social media after someone does a good critique video or article.

It seems that we're going to be getting to that point sooner rather than later. People have been complaining about Atlus' sexism and LGBT+phobia for years, but it seems like it hit something of a breaking point with Catherine Full Body to the point that Erica's VA and Atlus USA made the point of saying that it was bigoted and they would try their best with the localization to mitigate it.

If Atlus hasn't gotten wind of the problem yet, then they're making a point to ignore it.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Do Japanese audiences even care? I was of the impression that these depictions are consistent with mainstream Japanese culture.

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
SEGA is held responsible, I don't see your point op.
IT's just that unlike with some other games we know who did what, so we can put the blame on the director.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I wholeheartedly agree, though SEGA owning Atlus is a relatively recent thing. They had no control over stuff like Yosuke because they didn't own Atlus at the time

However, the fact that people are completely willing to give both Atlus and SEGA a pass because they like Persona is frankly disgusting.

GeoXwar

Banned
May 24, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns Surrounding Bigotry; Account in Junior Phase
It doesn't matter. Everyone is going to forget about it after 2 weeks just all the overblown drama that comes from this website.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If fucking Yakuza, another Sega related series which is about the Japanese underworld and also designed mainly for the Japanese audience, can be more LGBT friendly then so can fucking Atlus and their games. They even removed a problematic trans character from the Yakuza 3 remaster. There's no excuse, be more like Kiryu.

DtJveWcVsAERfJq.jpg

DdU2E5VVQAAebUg.jpg

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
If fucking Yakuza, another Sega related series which is about the Japanese underworld and also designed mainly for the Japanese audience, can be more LGBT friendly than so can fucking Atlus and their games. They even removed a problematic trans character from the Yakuza 3 remaster. There's no excuse, be more like Kiryu.

Doesn't Yakuza also criticize the japanese far-right? I heard someone mention something along those lines and honestly found that fascinating, because I struggle to think of any japanese pop media that has done the same.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

That isn't going to happen because the games aren't popular enough/culturally ubiquitous enough for any controversy around them to blow up in that way. Even at the series current height with P5 selling, what? 3 million copies in the west? Only a fraction of those people are going to be actively invested in this issue.

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If fucking Yakuza, another Sega related series which is about the Japanese underworld and also designed mainly for the Japanese audience, can be more LGBT friendly than so can fucking Atlus and their games. They even removed a problematic trans character from the Yakuza 3 remaster. There's no excuse, be more like Kiryu.

DtJveWcVsAERfJq.jpg

DdU2E5VVQAAebUg.jpg
now now, let's not put our lord and saviour Nagoshi and his masterpiece on the same level of Hashino and Persona.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
That isn't going to happen because the games aren't popular enough/culturally ubiquitous enough for any controversy around them to blow up in that way. Even at the series current height with P5 selling, what? 3 million copies in the west? Only a fraction of those people are going to be actively invested in this issue.
Maybe, but lots of people care enough about LGBT+ in games even if they don't care about Atlus' games themselves. Like if someone with a big platform did a good takedown I think you'd see people gather around it and make it an issue for Sega's pr.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Do Japanese audiences even care? I was of the impression that these depictions are consistent with mainstream Japanese culture.
Yes, the LGBT community in Japan, but it is only a small minority as a whole, and Yosuke still being very popular in Japan shows that at a grander scale most people don't really care about it. Boys still consider him best bro, while girls forget about him being a homophobe when shipping him with Kanji or Yu.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
There was a thread around a month ago that showed a lot of Atlus fans on this site don't care and will keep buying these games. I don't really see anything happening unless a popular figure on Twitter or Youtube calls Atlus out and that person's fanbase makes it a known enough issue that Sega/Atlus will listen.

Hopefully it does happen. There's plenty of reasons I don't want to play Atlus games but the blatant LGBT+ phobia and sexism are the biggest ones.

It doesn't matter. Everyone is going to forget about it after 2 weeks just all the overblown drama that comes from this website.

This is the most obvious burner account I've ever seen.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
now now, let's not put our lord and saviour Nagoshi and his masterpiece on the same level of Hashino and Persona.

To be quite honest I've found that even beyond the LGBT+phobia and sexism, Hashino has issues as a director and writer. Those aspects bothered me about Persona 5 for sure, but the bland characterization of the cast and the main villains also bothered me. By the end, I felt like I was going through the motions.

I honestly think replacing him would be a net positive provided that the person who does so is less sexist and homophobic.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega won't do that as they don't meddle with Atlus since they are different publishers and have independence as they did when owned in the past by Index.

The japanese LGBT+ community cares. Atlus has just been ignoring them for years.

Let's be fair, Japan is like here. Those people unfortunately are a minority compared to the major audience and in there, there's also such divide with people not caring, others saying that it don't matter and so on. It's not so different from here if you give it a look.

If fucking Yakuza, another Sega related series which is about the Japanese underworld and also designed mainly for the Japanese audience, can be more LGBT friendly then so can fucking Atlus and their games. They even removed a problematic trans character from the Yakuza 3 remaster. There's no excuse, be more like Kiryu.

DtJveWcVsAERfJq.jpg

DdU2E5VVQAAebUg.jpg

The difference is that Yakuza has a complete different team and is also by a different company. If you don't even see the same things in the same company, I don't see why you would see it on a different one.

Nagoshi is a member of the board of directors of Atlus, just saying. lol

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be quite honest I've found that even beyond the LGBT+phobia and sexism, Hashino has issues as a director and writer. Those aspects bothered me about Persona 5 for sure, but the bland characterization of the cast and the main villains also bothered me. By the end, I felt like I was going through the motions.

I honestly think replacing him would be a net positive provided that the person who does so is less sexist and homophobic.

Uh, Hashino won't be involved with Persona anymore, much like the team in P-Studio that was responsible for the titles. Studio Zero was created for that reason and he's going to be on ReFantasy (I think this is the name of the project). He only will be involved on what he worked in the past, so Persona 5 and Catherine, for example.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Let's be fair, Japan is like here. Those people unfortunately are a minority compared to the major audience and in there, there's also such divide with people not caring, others saying that it don't matter and so on. It's not so different from here if you give it a look.

Sure, but that was kind of my point. I'm not saying the person I was originally replying to implied this, but often when people try to discuss these issues with Atlus games they try to appeal to the idea of "cultural relativity", saying that Japan shouldn't be expected to care about "western" issues. They completely ignore the fact that the japanese LGBT+ community even exists. So I was just trying to point out that this isn't exclusively a western thing because LGBT+ people exist everywhere, and japanese lgbt+ people are criticizing Atlus for the same reasons "the west" is.

Uh, Hashino won't be involved with Persona anymore, much like the team in P-Studio that was responsible for the titles. Studio Zero was created for that reason and he's going to be on ReFantasy (I think this is the name of the project). He only will be involved on what he worked in the past, so Persona 5 and Catherine, for example.

Oh right, I forgot Re:Fantasy was a thing. My bad.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ha...r-decision-to-buy-future-atlus-titles.100155/

Yes, the LGBT community in Japan, but it is only a small minority as a whole, and Yosuke still being very popular in Japan shows that at a grander scale most people don't really care about it. Boys still consider him best bro, while girls forget about him being a homophobe when shipping him with Kanji or Yu.

Yeah, that's true. It's more akin to that from what I saw.

Sure, but that was kind of my point. I'm not saying the person I was originally replying to implied this, but often when people try to discuss these issues with Atlus games they try to appeal to the idea of "cultural relativity", saying that Japan shouldn't be expected to care about "western" issues. They completely ignore the fact that the japanese LGBT+ community even exists. So I was just trying to point out that this isn't exclusively a western thing because LGBT+ people exist everywhere.

Oh right, I forgot Re:Fantasy was a thing. My bad.

I see what you meant now. But anyway, LGBT people do exist in Japan and you can see complaints, but the majority of the people is on the contrary side. I remember when the issue appeared with Catherine, many japanese were upset with westerns or saying that what happened wasn't that big so my point was that in Japan or in every place, there's going to be those differences out there.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sega does own Atlus, but that doesn't mean Sega can just go to Atlus office and tell them exactly how they should build their games. That's not really how it works.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019

DtJveWcVsAERfJq.jpg

DdU2E5VVQAAebUg.jpg

I legit never knew the Yakuza series was more so open like this. I already liked Kiryu from what I played a bit of kiwami because of his whole not killing or hurting those who even try to rob him. Trying to more be a force of good even in the Yakuza. This makes me like him even more!

On the subject of Atlus and Persona. Does this have to do with the current series director/producer? From what I understood when the other thread when people had this talk before, it seemed a good about of fault laid within one of the series current directors/producers and didn't seem like something that was gonna change till there was new blood in the role

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly this isn't something SEGA should handle. (Not that they are very good at handling even their OWN shit 80% of the time.)
This is totally on Atlus. I'm sure they are aware of the feedback and controversy. The problem is they just don't care and they could care less if the queer community that buys their games; whether it be overseas or homeland stops buying their games.
It's going to take a lot more people to make a stink outside of this community for ATLUS to care.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the insight. Still many years behind the West on these issues it seems.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Making this thread for fellow junior member P-Tux7, here's his post:

Every time Atlus does something bone-headed when it comes to gender and sexuality themes, both NeoGAF and Resetera were/are thankfully quick to call it out. From Yosuke's "haha gay" jokes to SMTxFE's lewd outfits to Persona 5's rapey gay couple

Can this be eelaborated on? I put 130 hours into Persona 5 and I don't remember a "rapey gay" couple.

Oct 27, 2017
Nagoishi (the man behind Yakuza) is one of the board directors at Atlus so maybe he will be able to change Atlus one day. At the very least I hope that next Persona improves because Hashino left.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
to SMTxFE's lewd outfits
ok, personal opinions aside, how is this even related / bad as the other stuff mentioned??

that aside, what do you expect SEGA to do to Atlus? realistically? or why, in 1st place should SEGA "be held accountable" for Atlus, you imply/ propose boycott all Projects related to Sega?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yep everyone should be boycotting Joker in Smash. Contact Nintendo not to work with these people anymore.