• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Before people rail on Darius 1, keep this in mind that this game was never ported to the Mega Drive/ Sega Genesis until now. There is a Darius II port that was released in 1990/ 1991 for the Mega Drive/ Genesis, and it was a very good port too. But this version of Darius 1 is a brand new port of the original arcade game, and it is being developed by M2 as an exclusive for the Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive mini. Which is why it is included in all three regions.

M2 was given a chance to port a new (old) game to the system. It won't be bumped off for that reason.

screenshot-2019-06-04-at-14-39-47.original.jpg
Yes, I know.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a very cool addition. I just feel that, when it comes to shmups, the Mega Drive has lots of exclusive and unique stuff of its own.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Yes, I know.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a very cool addition. I just feel that, when it comes to shmups, the Mega Drive has lots of exclusive and unique stuff of its own.

Oh, OK. I was also pointing this out for people who don't realize that this is a brand new game for the system.

But I do agree, I really wanted Battle Mania/ Trouble Shooter or Battle Mania: Daiginjō released on the console, myself. Gaiares could have been an awesome inclusion as well. The Mega Drive/ Genesis has an impressive library of shooters. But sadly they are restricted to 42 slots for games. I guess Sega wanted to include their own "Star Fox 2" for the system, and they let M2 port a new game. I can't complain that we are getting something new. But at the same time, there are still a lot of other shooters on the system that could be a good substitute.

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to getting it even though I'm a little bit annoyed that NA isn't getting the 6 button controller by default

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Even if it is not moddable in the expected traditional ways I am sure within the month of it's release there will be ways to add games, even if people have to make their own OS. Genesis fans work crazy fast.

Would be cool if nothing else you can bring in the exclusive games to the other models.

I always thought it was a shit game but I recently played it and was really surprised how I could pull off almost every move in the same way I would in the 3d versions. Not saying it's a great or an essential game but it's quite ok tbh
Yeah it is really not THAT bad, most people I know are just disappointed with how Virtua Fighter as a franchise constantly gets ignored but this downport is always showing up everywhere. As a Shun Di main this version's always just kind of come off as insulting too honestly, heh.

There being three fighting games and three puzzle games in the English console among other significant multiplayer titles is honestly pretty cool though. The Nintendo Classic consoles seriously lacked multiplayer games and I am super happy SEGA decided to go against that and actually have a strong focus on the second controller. I can honestly see myself spending hours with friends and family on some of these in a trip I am taking later this year.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
I'm keeping my pre-order open for the EU one. The device will likely be hackable down the line, and in the meantime to cheer myself up about the lack of S3&K have purchased the Steam version (A.I.R getting installed!).

There are enough games on there that will def command my playtime for sure.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I know.

For things like MUSHA, that was available for 10 years on Wii Shop. And it's still there on the JP and Asia Mini. I'm much more interested in a game that hasn't had an official release before now. That's why I prefer Darius to MUSHA or something else that they could have put there.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I always wondered how to extract those roms, but never looked into it because I figured it was going to be more complicated than just opening a goddamn folder lol.
It used to be, as you used to have to use some sort of fan-made extractor, but Sega just made the process super-easy at some point by just including a folder of the roms. The file names are a bit weird, but it's not hard to guess which one is which and rename them as you please if you have a list of the full games lineup available. I loaded mine onto a Mega Everdrive for use on my Mega Sg.

I'd rather they stay off as the ports were not great to begin with. Plus the original MK games are not good and do not hold up like at all.
The MK games on Genesis are worth it just for the music, in my opinion. Honestly, while I'd prefer the arcade version of each one, I'd actually like the arcade music to be replaced by the Genesis music. It's so much better.

it would have been a better action RPG than Light Crusader lol
Light Crusader's one of my favorite games on Genesis. It's got some great puzzles. I can understand people not liking it for its "action" and "RPG" elements, but it's a great game for other reasons. I thought its magic system was really cool at the time, even if it was fairly limited.

Last edited:

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
I assume Langrisser II will be the only game on the Asian mini that really requires you to understand the language, but won't be available in English, right?

Oct 31, 2017
Strider on the Genesis/ Mega Drive was a really good port for its day. It wasn;t arcade perfect. There were frames of animation missing, the arcade game displays at 384*224, while the Genesis port displays at 320*224. Strider was generally well regarded for its time too. It was also the first Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive game to have an 8Mb cartridge.

It was one of the best home ports of the game for at least a decade before Strider 2 was released on the pS1, which came bundled with a port of the original arcade game.

Here's a good comparison video of the arcade game up against the Genesis/ MD port:

Yeah, it's great to know that it is or at least was a great release back then. Thanks for the video !

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Saying Light Crusader is trash are fighting words.
It's not the style usually associated with Treasure but it's pretty solid and probably the most playable isometric action game ever.
I've never played it because I used to think it was just some boring turn-based RPG (sorry, I can't stand turn-based combat), but after checking a few gameplay videos I'm glad to be wrong. I must admit my interest is piqued, the game seems pretty fun!
Yeah, I love Light Crusader. Frankly, I'm always confused by how much praise Landstalker gets. I've never been able to wrap my head around the controls in Landstalker, and the simple addition of a shadow underneath your character in Light Crusader makes its platforming so much more intuitive. The combat isn't so great, but Light Crusader has so much else going for it that I think it's worth playing through. I especially like the part where you get the goblin costume, and the one floor where you visit a bunch of different realms is really cool. I also love the music.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Lack of Sports titles is my only real disapointment. I understand NHL, NBA, and NFL licensing was out of the cards, but Mutant League Football or Hockey could have captured that era of arcade sports without a tricky license tied to it. Oh well, I assume they tried to get something going since Road Rash 2 is there from EA, and it was probably just too hard. Still the gold standard of plug and plays too, and there's always room for a second version should this one find success.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I missed the Mini Tower somewhere between work and home. Kinda sucks but it's really too big for where I'd keep my MegaDrive Mini anyways.
and it's 12,000Y now :eyeroll:

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, it's great to know that it is or at least was a great release back then. Thanks for the video !

It really was a great port of the arcade game. I remember renting Strider back in the day, I liked it, but not enough for me to purchase over other games on the system. It's a fun arcade game, but a little short. But then I saw the arcade cab years later at a department store, and I was impressed at how close it looked to the Genesis game.

Sega did hype this game back in the day, but for me, I never really got the hype initially. Not until seeing the arcade game in comparison. It is missing background tiles and some frames of animation. Runs at a lower resolution (384*224 vs 320*224) which also affects the way enemies respawn. The game freezes for half a second before and after bosses (It looks a little jarring, but doesn't affect the gameplay) . It is missing audio voice samples, sound effects could have sounded a little sharper. But the music is excellent on the Genesis FMsynth/ PSG sound system .

Basically the game has all the common issues of 16bit arcade home ports. So most of that stuff wasn't that big of a deal. But the game still plays and looks enough like the arcade version that it becomes just a good version of the game to play. There really weren't other arcade accurate ports of Strider on home consoles. The next best console port was Strider on the PS1. which was packed with Strider 2, as I mentioned before. And that game came out in 1999 or 2000? The Genesis/ MD version released in 1990. The arcade game is 1989, so having a console port get released one year later that almost looked like the arcade game was pretty cool. But then again, there is also the Sharp X68000 version. I almost forgot about that one. Which was even closer to being arcade accurate.

Last edited:

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume the first thing emulator scene will do with Genesis Mini is to make available region exclusives game for everyone is it? That and Sonic 3 Complete and Crusader of Centy is probably all I'm gonna add to this thing :D

This is offtopic, but this video is awsome.
Love SEGA

This is perfect

Last edited:

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I really hope this thing is as easily hackable as the SNES Classic was and that the default emulator is solid enough to handle most additions, just so we can add the obvious omissions, such as Sonic 3 & K. Sadly though native on-the-fly lock-on cart changing probably won't be supported. That was one of the best features of the Wii VC release of Sonic 3 & K. :(

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this thing is as easily hackable as the SNES Classic was and that the default emulator is solid enough to handle most additions, just so we can add the obvious omissions, such as Sonic 3 & K. Sadly though native on-the-fly lock-on cart changing probably won't be supported. That was one of the best features of the Wii VC release of Sonic 3 & K. :(
Unless you really like save transferring, what's the problem with the way most emulators do it, making a game per pair?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Assault Suit Leynos was NA but otherwise, this is probably the best lineup in any throwback console so far

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
That's where I'm at right now. I'll be buying it either way, but I would love to be able to toss Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Zombies Ate My Neighbours on there as well.

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
Fantastic list of games.

It is - will always miss Aladdin, but it is. I got to go hands-on with the hardware and the software. Games run & look fine, except for some hiccups with Castlevania I noticed.

Also I'm loving the controller being USB and having this long-ass cable:

_2923213.jpg

Here's our Mega Drive / Genesis Mini vs SNES Mini comparison: https://www.gamereactor.es/batalla-nostalgica-super-nintendo-mini-contra-mega-drive-mini/

And here's my video preview anyway for more footage and hardware closeups.

Just ask if in doubt...

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
It is - will always miss Aladdin, but it is. I got to go hands-on with the hardware and the software. Games run & look fine, except for some hiccups with Castlevania I noticed.

Also I'm loving the controller being USB and having this long-ass cable:

_2923213.jpg

Here's our Mega Drive / Genesis Mini vs SNES Mini comparison: https://www.gamereactor.es/batalla-nostalgica-super-nintendo-mini-contra-mega-drive-mini/

And here's my video preview anyway for more footage and hardware closeups.

Just ask if in doubt...
Gonna watch now but what do you think of the 3 button controller, is it an issue?

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
Not for the majority of games... but dat SFII' is just too good to not have the 6-button one (and I just love the MD d-pad).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm I still have original hardware and a decent collection but it was always a bit for show so I'm really tempted by this, so the emulator/hardware works well right? I'm right on the edge, then again if this gets hacked pretty quick and I could put my personal collection on it too it would be really convient

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm I still have original hardware and a decent collection but it was always a bit for show so I'm really tempted by this, so the emulator/hardware works well right? I'm right on the edge, then again if this gets hacked pretty quick and I could put my personal collection on it too it would be really convient
Emulation seems to be top notch. M2 is handling it and their have a solid record. I'm sure this will be hacked ultra quickly as well.

May 5, 2018
I wish Assault Suit Leynos was NA but otherwise, this is probably the best lineup in any throwback console so far
Its honestly a great list of games with some solid diversity in genres too. There are certainly a few games I wish America/Europe got say getting Outrun 2017, Shining Force 2 and Musha over stuff like Alex Kidd, Altered Beast and Virtua Fighter 2, but the library on the US/EU console is still strong. The fact that everybody gets Alisia Dragoon and Monster World 4 is pretty rad and US/EU does have some nice games like Castle of Illusion (Also in Asia), Dynamite Headdy (Also in Japan) and Toejam and Earl (purely a US/EU exclusive). I have thought about actually buying a PS Classic at Best Buy with its price at 20 bucks, but maybe I should save my money and get this instead. More love and care was put into this mini console.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Does anyone know what's the difference for the "Amazon.co.jp Limited" editions?

I translated the page using Google and, apparently, they include wallpapers for PC and phones. Is that it?

Weirdly, the "limited" version with two controllers is cheaper than the non-limited one.

Edit: Never mind, the non-limited editions are being sold by third-party sellers, that's why they're more expensive.

Last edited:

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what's the difference for the "Amazon.co.jp Limited" editions?

I translated the page using Google and, apparently, they include wallpapers for PC and phones. Is that it?

Weirdly, the "limited" version with two controllers is cheaper than the non-limited one.

Edit: Never mind, the non-limited editions are being sold by third-party sellers, that's why they're more expensive.
Yeah I think it's just wallpapers.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok decided to put in a preorder.... the base library is solid and the likely hood of quick hacking and rounding it out is even more appealing

Dec 15, 2017
From all the retro consoles it has the best list of games by a country mile. But it's still lacking NBA JAM and ISS Deluxe. They could have included a shoot em up and another run and gun game, probably Mega Turrican. Oh, and the console should have booted with a Genesis Does commercial.