• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
But to this guy microsoft buying and taking games off playstation is ok.
Keep the same energy.

It's like you quoted that guy and unironically proved his point. You don't even grasp the post you quoted, and you're entire post history is just hoping for Sony acquisitions and shitting on Microsoft with one liners like you're on Gamefaqs:

if sony grabs capcom or konami theyll be ok. google and amazon can have all the 3rd party trash.

hechicero said:
Sony should buy capcom their games sell more on there anyways

hechicero said:
its a war now sony will retaliate microsoft started this many gamers will be hurt.

The console war hypocrisy is getting tiring at this point. If you're supposedly against consolidation, don't pick and choose who to cheerlead and who to villianize, especially baselessly. And FYI, your last quote is factually false.

Rolleyes.gif

You and your ilk should stop pretending like you speak for everyone.

You think Amazon and Google (or even Tencent) won't be adopting the same strategy? As if MS has invented something unique here, it's just a common play for sub service.

What's actually worthy of an eyeroll is someone who can just recently post things like this:

As someone who don't give a fuck about Xbox and PC gaming, i'd rather Google or Amazon win their bids.

And yet think they get to criticize someone "and their ilk" talking about mobile/cloud/PC/console/day-one-XGP vs a walled garden. And then pretend that you think Google, Amazon, and even...Tencent, will adopt this strategy.

Right.

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft being the ones to make Sonic a big deal in the gaming space again would be a hell of a sight to see. Please let it happen.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I would be sad to see SEGA lose their independence, but it would also be kind of wild to see their developers given unlimited backing and clout - so I'm torn. Appreciate this is all just speculation.

I think I always hoped we'd see more of this handshake in the corporate world too

db514521bfec78b9cd8c4de601f115c4.png

Also, should we start driving up the stock price now or...?

$SGAMY 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🌕

Aug 12, 2019
Please stop cheerleading Microsoft acquiring Sega, it's really fucking awful shit, and I don't know where this obsession with Microsoft buying them even comes from in the first place.

hechicero

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
TEXAS
Regret

bro i dont want any 3rd parties to be bought

i was responding to sony doom posts and what sony can do to be alright.

microsoft has money to fund state of the art studios and hire the best gaming directors in the biz.

to me they are trying to ruin gaming.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Regret

bro i dont want any 3rd parties to be bought

i was responding to sony doom posts and what sony can do to be alright.

microsoft has money to fund state of the art studios and hire the best gaming directors in the biz.

to me they are trying to ruin gaming.

MS has money to do both. And they are doing both. I don't understand what the issue is if a 3rd party publisher wants to bought.

Someone's got to buy them.

MS is as good as Sony who is as good as Nintendo.

You want EA or Activision to buy them?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine a world where persona releases exclusively in Xbox and pc. Not a super big fan of the idea of MS acquiring Sega, but guess it wouldn't affect me much personally besides buying a decent amount more stuff on PC, I guess.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Is there some rule preventing a company like MS from buying Sega or other Japanese company?
My husband is arguing with me saying there is no guarantee Japan will allow any outside company to just buy any of the big video games companies. I have no idea what the rules are but I've never seen anyone here saying that's some sort of hurdle??!

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
MS has money to do both. And they are doing both. I don't understand what the issue is if a 3rd party publisher wants to bought.

Someone's got to buy them.

MS is as good as Sony who is as good as Nintendo.

You want EA or Activision to buy them?
What makes you think Sega wanna sell? Did they say they're looking?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
No one gets established in the gaming business without leveraging money from elsewhere. Sony had to spend their way in, Microsoft had to spend their way in. Google has the infrastructure, but to get exclusive content that will bring people into their ecosystem will require spending from their ad revenue business.

Epic wants to establish a PC store, and guess what, they are spending their way to try and establish themselves as an alternative to Steam.

Gaming requires those building ecosystems to eat a loss early, and sustain those losses before critical mass is achieved.

Microsoft needs to cultivate competitive gaming studios is nonsense by the way. Microsoft has traditionally had a small first party studio organization, and it is something that Sony had too up until the PS3 generation where they lost exclusivity with a lot of titles going multiplatform; releasing day and date on other consoles.

Microsoft was dumb. It was in gaming without ever committing fully to the venture. This is how they came into this generation with 5 studios, one making a game that was available on everything. This was how they got into proper relationships with developers, but never ever solidified those relationships by acquiring Angel Studios, BioWare, DICE, Double Helix, Bizarre or even trying to get Team Ninja.

They sat around as reliable partners were swallowed up, or saw some developers move in another direction because the parent company was working in its own interest. They also got into deals where they got games but did not own the IP. They published Sunset Overdrive, did not own the IP, they published Gears of War, did not own the IP. They published Ryse, and they do not own that IP. Where on earth have you seen a game being a cornerstone of a platform, published by the platform holder and not owned by it?
Microsoft was extremely careless around talent and IP.

The moment I see people state that games are being taken away from a user base, I honestly cringe. You are a singular user being asked to make a decision as to what platform you would want to invest in. The only way any party becomes a factor is when they offer something compelling to users. In short, the people that are against purchases most of time simply do not want to make another purchase. They are usually the same users that have disproportionately benefited from Sony doing what every business in a position of strength does i.e. perpetuate dominance.

So these moves, tend to be viewed from a pro Sony lens despite the fact that we now have a divergence in business models. Microsoft needs content to fuel Game Pass, and they are not going to get to where they need to be by buying a studio here, a studio there. They need to accelerate that timeline and the easiest way to really make a case to consumers is by getting the talent and recognizable IP. Today, you cannot play a Final Fantasy game on Nintendo systems or Street Fighter for that matter because there is a party that pays to keep them off other systems. You could play the Xeno games on PlayStation, and today you have to get a Nintendo console to play that because Nintendo bought Monolith.

I was never going to get the original Xbox up until it was announced that Dead or Alive 3 was going to release exclusively on it. A third party title that had been on PlayStation and Sega systems. No brand loyalty, just a gamer moving to where a must have game had moved. I was similarly willing to miss the XB1 generation if Microsoft did not make changes to what they presented at E3 in 2013. It is amazing how simple life becomes when people worry about the decisions they can make.

Platforms taking games away from others is normal. Platforms keeping games away from others, even for some time, is normal. Publishers being bought out is also normal, albeit infrequent. My advice, if you want games on PlayStation, there is something out there for you. If you desire what Microsoft is doing with Game Pass or their exclusives, they have multiple entry points for you. The persistent moaning about how stuff is being taken away is entitlement that needs to end seeing that it is common place.

I once asked whether there were people that were allergic to getting games on anything that is not PlayStation, and going through threads, there are those that have platform loyalty that is hard to explain. The world will move on as these complain.

OMG this post is so good. Nicely written.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Looking through the list of recent Sega games, I'm not sure how attractive an acquisition this is.

I would hope the acquisition wouldn't be very expensive. Maybe just use Sega as a base to develop more Japanese studio capacity?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Is there some rule preventing a company like MS from buying Sega or other Japanese company?
My husband is arguing with me saying there is no guarantee Japan will allow any outside company to just buy any of the big video games companies. I have no idea what the rules are but I've never seen anyone here saying that's some sort of hurdle??!

There is no rule in the rudimentary sense.

National governments can theoretically forbid a foreign takeover if there's concerns about anti trust, intellectual property, or national security.

Nobody in business is going care if Sega is sold. Small potatoes as they say.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I don't care if the joke has already been made god damnit!!!

DREAMCAST 2 CONFIRMED!!!!!!!

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looking through the list of recent Sega games, I'm not sure how attractive an acquisition this is.

I would hope the acquisition wouldn't be very expensive. Maybe just use Sega as a base to develop more Japanese studio capacity?

I mean, they did put out the highest rated game in metacritic last year.

Sega would be quite a big get.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
It probably is, a big budget sonic getting a reboot would give that series the shot in the arm it needs.

I know people don't want to believe evil Microsoft can do that but they could. A Sonic game with Ori like visuals would be amazing.

It has nothing to do with Microsoft, I don't think anyone can do it.

You never know what the impact of a Sonic 2006 4k remaster would have.

You think they'd have to put the old metacritic scores back up if they released a remaster? I mean, it's the same game at it's core, right.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
No one gets established in the gaming business without leveraging money from elsewhere. Sony had to spend their way in, Microsoft had to spend their way in. Google has the infrastructure, but to get exclusive content that will bring people into their ecosystem will require spending from their ad revenue business.

Epic wants to establish a PC store, and guess what, they are spending their way to try and establish themselves as an alternative to Steam.

Gaming requires those building ecosystems to eat a loss early, and sustain those losses before critical mass is achieved.

Microsoft needs to cultivate competitive gaming studios is nonsense by the way. Microsoft has traditionally had a small first party studio organization, and it is something that Sony had too up until the PS3 generation where they lost exclusivity with a lot of titles going multiplatform; releasing day and date on other consoles.

Microsoft was dumb. It was in gaming without ever committing fully to the venture. This is how they came into this generation with 5 studios, one making a game that was available on everything. This was how they got into proper relationships with developers, but never ever solidified those relationships by acquiring Angel Studios, BioWare, DICE, Double Helix, Bizarre or even trying to get Team Ninja.

They sat around as reliable partners were swallowed up, or saw some developers move in another direction because the parent company was working in its own interest. They also got into deals where they got games but did not own the IP. They published Sunset Overdrive, did not own the IP, they published Gears of War, did not own the IP. They published Ryse, and they do not own that IP. Where on earth have you seen a game being a cornerstone of a platform, published by the platform holder and not owned by it?
Microsoft was extremely careless around talent and IP.

The moment I see people state that games are being taken away from a user base, I honestly cringe. You are a singular user being asked to make a decision as to what platform you would want to invest in. The only way any party becomes a factor is when they offer something compelling to users. In short, the people that are against purchases most of time simply do not want to make another purchase. They are usually the same users that have disproportionately benefited from Sony doing what every business in a position of strength does i.e. perpetuate dominance.

So these moves, tend to be viewed from a pro Sony lens despite the fact that we now have a divergence in business models. Microsoft needs content to fuel Game Pass, and they are not going to get to where they need to be by buying a studio here, a studio there. They need to accelerate that timeline and the easiest way to really make a case to consumers is by getting the talent and recognizable IP. Today, you cannot play a Final Fantasy game on Nintendo systems or Street Fighter for that matter because there is a party that pays to keep them off other systems. You could play the Xeno games on PlayStation, and today you have to get a Nintendo console to play that because Nintendo bought Monolith.

I was never going to get the original Xbox up until it was announced that Dead or Alive 3 was going to release exclusively on it. A third party title that had been on PlayStation and Sega systems. No brand loyalty, just a gamer moving to where a must have game had moved. I was similarly willing to miss the XB1 generation if Microsoft did not make changes to what they presented at E3 in 2013. It is amazing how simple life becomes when people worry about the decisions they can make.

Platforms taking games away from others is normal. Platforms keeping games away from others, even for some time, is normal. Publishers being bought out is also normal, albeit infrequent. My advice, if you want games on PlayStation, there is something out there for you. If you desire what Microsoft is doing with Game Pass or their exclusives, they have multiple entry points for you. The persistent moaning about how stuff is being taken away is entitlement that needs to end seeing that it is common place.

I once asked whether there were people that were allergic to getting games on anything that is not PlayStation, and going through threads, there are those that have platform loyalty that is hard to explain. The world will move on as these complain.
The only console maker you care for is the one wielding its power to make acquisitions, to gain exclusivity.

Oh how easy it is to preach with an "it is what it is" attitude.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
3D Sonics can be way bigger if they were half way decent and were not dependent on the boost formula. Hell how long has its been since we could play as Tails or Knuckles in one?

For what it's worth, I think there'll probably be more good Sonic games in the future, but I think it's a long, long, long road to that IP or franchise really being a big deal ever again.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

There are required notifications and approvals foreign investors must go through with the Japan Ministry of Finance if they are interested in one of the 2,100+ companies Japan has listed as requiring review and approval.

Read here: Japan's revisions to the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act mark a significant shift in Japan's oversight of foreign investment | Hogan Lovells - JDSupra

See the list of companies here: Global Disclosures

Sega is not a core sector business (weapons, infrastructure, aircraft, transportation, national security, etc.), but it is in a designated non-core business sector requiring review and approval by the Japan Ministry of Finance.

In short, there are hoops to jump through but it's totally possible for a company like MS to buy Sega or other Japanese companies.

Aug 12, 2019
oh please. Whats up with this energy here?

Why are you going oh please to me. I don't want Microsoft acquiring major third parties and I find the cheer leading to genuinely be the most awful video game discourse to come out of 2020 besides actually offensive shit.

There's also like no fucking indication Sega wants to sell, and people have been taking every little thing as a hint that Microsoft is buying Sega for some dumb reason too. And it's also really dumb that so many people bet their hopes and dreams for specific franchises on acquisitions as if like every major company doesn't already have a bunch of IPs they ignore, Microsoft absolutely included.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Let me get this straight: People believe Microsoft is going to buy Sega because:
a) Sega separated its gaming division from its pachinko division (a division that is hurting due to the pandemic and could negatively affect the gaming division), and
b) because Microsoft has a Series X|S controller that is blue.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Let me get this straight: People believe Microsoft is going to buy Sega because:
a) Sega separated its gaming division from its pachinko division (a division that is hurting due to the pandemic and could negatively affect the gaming division), and
b) because Microsoft has a Series X|S controller that is blue.

You missed rumor that MS is looking for a Bethesda sized acquisition (although they stated more interest in buying too). I actually haven't seen mention of the controller color.

Oct 28, 2017
For what it's worth, I think there'll probably be more good Sonic games in the future, but I think it's a long, long, long road to that IP or franchise really being a big deal ever again.

I'd actually go the other way on it and say that the IP is healthier than the games themselves. With stuff like the movie, cartoons (both Boom and the upcoming Netflix one), plus merchandising and relatively successful spin offs like the racing and olympics games, the IP is pretty healthy all things considered. Like, you hook up a game release with the next movie coming out and I'd bet it sells like hot cakes.

The games quality however...Sonic Team can't stop self sabotaging. They get to Generations in 2011 and for once have a workable 3D template they can refine. But what do they do? Throw it all out and make Lost Words. Then there's Mania, a successful throwback that is universally acclaimed. What do they do? Scatter the devs that made it to the wind, and get butt hurt about how their game (Forces) did worse than the "indie" Sonic.

If there was a buyout, I would hope that whatever company snatched them up recognized how important a Sonic is to the brand (not to mention gaming history), how do-able a good game is, and kick Sonic Team to the curb and get decent devs in that spot.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I'd actually go the other way on it and say that the IP is healthier than the games themselves. With stuff like the movie, cartoons (both Boom and the upcoming Netflix one), plus merchandising and relatively successful spin offs like the racing and olympics games, the IP is pretty healthy all things considered.

The games however...Sonic Team can't stop self sabotaging. They get to Generations in 2011 and for once have a workable 3D template they can refine. But what do they do? Throw it all out and make Lost Words. Then there's Mania, a successful throwback that is universally acclaimed. What do they do? Scatter the devs that made it to the wind, and get butt hurt about how their game (Forces) did worse than the "indie" Sonic.

If there was a buyout, I would hope that whatever company snatched them up recognized how important a Sonic is to the brand (not to mention gaming history), how do-able a good game is, and kick Sonic Team to the curb and get decent devs in that spot.

That's a pretty fair way of looking at it, I think it's a sort of six of one, half a dozen of the other type thing, because for me, it's more that despite the movie and the cartoons and the spin offs, there really just doesn't seem to be much care or respect for the franchise or it's status as a piece of gaming history.

Like I can't remember the last time I heard someone bring up Sonic as anything more than an oddity.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty fair way of looking at it, I think it's a sort of six of one, half a dozen of the other type thing, because for me, it's more that despite the movie and the cartoons and the spin offs, there really just doesn't seem to be much care or respect for the franchise or it's status as a piece of gaming history.

Like I can't remember the last time I heard someone bring up Sonic as anything more than an oddity.

Sonic Mania? Was really well received.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Considering how little information there is in the OP it's both surprising and unsurprising where this thread has ended up.

Talking about Microsoft and consolidation.

This topic is the new 'is it sustainable?' of Era discourse, congratulations, the goalposts have moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.