• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
User Banned (1 day): Console wars
Overreacting much? You said they lost you as a customer because of the RRoD back in the Xbox 360 days. You do realize Microsoft also releases games on PC and their consoles have since then not been an issue, right?

I have zero faith MS will keep the quality of both. Especially with how awful most of their studios are like Rare/343/Gears factory studio. They've done so poorly they have to buy a bunch of studios to get anywhere. I find it gross.

I don't want a MS console and I don't really like playing games on PC even if I had one. So I'm out of luck.

Both Yakuza and Persona seemed primed to be available on everything (PC, Xbox, Switch, Playstation) now they'd be locked on a console that never had them before (and has no other games I give a shit about) and also on a platform I don't own/costs $2,000 to get into.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Now Yakuza is primarily an Xbox franchise and Football Manager is a console exclusive even though it's on Switch (and mobile).

I am speechless.

zf69

Jan 25, 2021
earth
i don't really think microsoft is going to buy out sega, but i would be very happy if they did. microsoft seems to be big on bringing games over to PC

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Atlus is my fav dev, and I see no value in owning an Xbox, so I don't want this to happen. That said, if it did, I'd be fine: I'd either get an Xbox to play Sega games, or I'd play them on PC, as I already do with some games. However, if we put fanboyisms aside, the best thing for SEGA is to stay independent and not be bought by anyone.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoft, here is what you need to do now

1. Buy Sega
2. Announce Sonic Adventure 3
3. Announce Phantasy Star RPG
4. Announce Jet Set Radio 3
5. Announce a new Crazy Taxi
6. Announce a new ChuChu Rocket!
7. Announce Condemned 3
8. Bask in the fact that you made gamers happy by bringing back the real Sega

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I have zero faith MS will keep the quality of both. Especially with how awful most of their studios are like Rare/343/Gears factory studio. They've done so poorly they have to buy a bunch of studios to get anywhere. I find it gross.

I don't want a MS console and I don't really like playing games on PC even if I had one. So I'm out of luck.

Both Yakuza and Persona seemed primed to be available on everything (PC, Xbox, Switch, Playstation) now they'd be locked on a console that never had them before (and has no other games I give a shit about) and also on a platform I don't own/costs $2,000 to get into.
Rare, 343i, The Coalition are all fantastic studios. What on earth are you talking about?

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is to continue playing the yakuza games on my Playstation. Don't take that away from me.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
you are saying that Sega is reestructuring to let MS buy only the games division which is currently the most profitable subsidiary for Sega Sammy, and thats not how this works. Sega Sammy would be fucking over their own investors lol.

Months ago Sega sold off its arcade business due to losses and now you telling me they are going to sell the most profitable division to MS ...

does that make sense to you ????

I think you're hand-waiving the opportunity cost provided by an influx of capital (or MS shares) provided by such a sale of assets. That is capital they could in turn use to invest in something else, acquire additional assets, etc. Maybe this is a space that they don't really want exist in anymore, but because it has been financially subsidizing them in recent times, it has not been an option to stop/pivot unless the right sale opportunity has come along? I'm not arguing for or against a merger/acquisition of Sega's assets, but the certainty of which some people speak to such things is wild.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry the idea of playing Persona or Yakuza games on a computer or an xbox or a mobile phone for the cost of like 10 bucks a month on a service that would give your favourite franchises a popularity boost and maybe even a budget boost bums allowing the developers to make the games even better bums you out but ok

I don't think they would get a big boost in popularity, they're still relatively niche franchises and this would move them away from their pre existing core fanbase, at most it's a move sideways.

edit: plus I don't want either franchise to have a ballooning budget, lots of franchises have crumpled under having too much scope and both of those series work best by being their niche.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
What makes people think Sega games will automatically become better with MS behind them? Have you not seen the state of some of MS own franchises?

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017

This is a horrible take.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like the idea of MS acquiring Sega, but at least it's not as disruptive as them buying some other Japanese publishers.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

That's bait

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

It's like we are all of the sudden still stuck in 2007.

I find it very odd how much emphasis people put on who makes which hardware and by the time any of this ends up happening, if true, will not net you $2,000 to get into.

Like I say, some are really overreacting.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Oh yes, consolidation wouldn't ever happen (as it has in EVERY OTHER ENTERTAINMENT MEDIUM) if not for big, bad Xbox....
I never said it wouldn't ever happen, don't put words in my mouth. You don't have to like it for it to be true, but this is something they are actively engaging in.

If it were Apple/Google/Sony doing this, you can bet your ass off I'd be saying the same thing (and it seems I inevitably will). Microsoft is the one pushing this type of shit currently, so they'll get the flack they rightfully deserve.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Sega Corp is not in the market, Sega Sammy Corp is.

Im sure investors would be very happy owning shares of corporation with losses & no growing bussiness short/mid/long term.

I know that it's Sega Sammy Corp, doesn't change anything I said.

They would vote on the sale, and would be getting a premium on their investment (going for the bird in the hand over the potential two in the bush), they would take the cash and either walk, or reinvest it into growing the Sammy side of things.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
... I cant....

ok I'll try one more time...

you are saying that Sega is reestructuring to let MS buy only the games division which is currently the most profitable subsidiary for Sega Sammy, and thats not how this works. Sega Sammy would be fucking over their own investors lol.

Months ago Sega sold off its arcade business due to losses and now you telling me they are going to sell the most profitable division to MS ...

does that make sense to you ????
Hajime Satomi likely has a controlling stake as he had a controlling stake in Sammy and their acquisition of SEGA was conducted through buying a majority, then a controlling, interest in SEGA. His original line of business was the pachi line.

He's also 79. If his heirs aren't interested in running the company splitting off the games division and selling now when the industry is at peak market value due to lockdown customer surge and with a wave of consolidation appearing to start is the maximum value.

He also might just see it as reaping that maximum value to surge back into the pachi/retail/amusements division hard when lockdown restrictions lift.

Whatever the reason, it wouldn't be surprising because while video games might be the most lucrative LoB currently it isn't Satomi's core LoB while also likely being at peak value for the near future now.

The MS purchase would make sense in that Microsoft could quickly backfill the historic catalog that Sony/Nintendo can bring when they finally move into a Games on Demand architecture like Game Pass.

That said, I think the wish-casting about MS in here is pretty goddamn naive. Atlus won't survive the decade if MS bought SEGA. Yakuza as a franchise would likely be on life support within a few years. Buying SEGA doesn't suddenly make Xbox products relevant in Japan, it'll just kill the Japan-reliant IPs they acquire. Probably still worth it for MS as the PC side, back catalog, and global appeal IPs would make it worthwhile in the end, but it won't have a happy ending for a lot of IPs that work within a niche.

The check the Game Pass cult are going to need to cash in a few years when MS has had their fill on acquisitions and begin cleaning up the non-performers while also getting to turn up the price schedule is going to be a fun spectacle to watch.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they would get a big boost in popularity, they're still relatively niche franchises and this would move them away from their pre existing core fanbase, at most it's a move sideways.
I might argue Yakuza is a perfect Game Pass series. It is the video game equivalent to a binge-able Netflix series. Not to mention, up until the announcement re: The Remastered Collection during the Game Awards, every Game Pass tweet was flooded with "where is 3 4 and 5" replies. It is clearly in-demand with the Xbox audience.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Atlus is my fav dev, and I see no value in owning an Xbox, so I don't want this to happen. That said, if it did, I'd be fine: I'd either get an Xbox to play Sega games, or I'd play them on PC, as I already do with some games. However, if we put fanboyisms aside, the best thing for SEGA is to stay independent and not be bought by anyone.
Depending on how long until Atlus releases their next game, you would probably have a much cheaper option in xCloud and either something like a fireTV or literally just your smart TV

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry the idea of playing Persona or Yakuza games on a computer or an xbox or a mobile phone for the cost of like 10 bucks a month on a service that would give your favourite franchises a popularity boost and maybe even a budget boost bums allowing the developers to make the games even better bums you out but ok

Taking choice away is good now I see. As it is it's already 15 bucks for streaming since You need gpu. I have a bridge to sell youif you think it's staying at that price.

So the only way to play for alot of ppl is to drop their platform they are highly invested on. I will for sure drop gaming too.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Hajime Satomi likely has a controlling stake as he had a controlling stake in Sammy and their acquisition of SEGA was conducted through buying a majority, then a controlling, interest in SEGA. His original line of business was the pachi line.

He's also 79. If his heirs aren't interested in running the company splitting off the games division and selling now when the industry is at peak market value due to lockdown customer surge and with a wave of consolidation appearing to start is the maximum value.

He also might just see it as reaping that maximum value to surge back into the pachi/retail/amusements division hard when lockdown restrictions lift.

Whatever the reason, it wouldn't be surprising because while video games might be the most lucrative LoB currently it isn't Satomi's core LoB while also likely being at peak value for the near future now.

The MS purchase would make sense in that Microsoft could quickly backfill the historic catalog that Sony/Nintendo can bring when they finally move into a Games on Demand architecture like Game Pass.

That said, I think the wish-casting about MS in here is pretty goddamn naive. Atlus won't survive the decade if MS bought SEGA. Yakuza as a franchise would likely be on life support within a few years. Buying SEGA doesn't suddenly make Xbox products relevant in Japan, it'll just kill the Japan-reliant IPs they acquire. Probably still worth it for MS as the PC side, back catalog, and global appeal IPs would make it worthwhile in the end, but it won't have a happy ending for a lot of IPs that work within a niche.

The check the Game Pass cult are going to need to cash in a few years when MS has had their fill on acquisitions and begin cleaning up the non-performers while also getting to turn up the price schedule is going to be a fun spectacle to watch.
Finally a sensible post.

I was beginning to think this thread was going nowhere.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I feel bad for longtime PSO/PSO2 fans because MS has had to market it and make the Western release happen. If you look at the marketing for PSO2: NGS for the global market, it has been absolutely abysmal and embarrassing. They barely reached the first goal out of five for a Twitter followers campaign. Don't act like Sega are doing a great job in handling all their IPs and marketing.
As if me saying I don't play Yakuza/Persona wasn't enough of an indication for you, I am not their biggest fan. I never claimed they handled things perfectly, but that doesn't mean it's better for us to have less options. Especially when a huge junk of their fanbase would be excluded in a deal like that - That's what I take issue with. Always have. Always will.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Don't. Some of us missed the memo that we were only allowed to buy PlayStations and ended up being multi-console owners and are happy to play Yakuza and Persona on PC/Xbox/Switch/wherever they show up.

Maybe I'm too old for this. But I once had to learn to play Final Fantasy on a PlayStation. I had to learn to play Sonic on a GameCube. And I had to learn to play Perfect Dark on an Xbox. I've survived all of these. Us longtime Yakuza and Persona fans will be fine thanks.

I've played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami on both PS4 and Xbox and both were equally fine experiences.

This is me. Same franchises and experience getting used to it. I follow these series wherever they go.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
I wasn't aware MS bought Sega. Nobody in here knows shit.

I was referring to this

Mostly conjecture, but there are a few things lining up:
  • Phil Spencer has said publicly many times they want Japanese studios
  • Phil also said recently they want more E-rated content (Sonic is a big one)
  • Microsoft has been very cozy with Sega recently
    • Yakuza basically becoming primarily an Xbox franchise
    • PSO2 brought to the West because of Microsoft
    • Relic doing Age of Empires
    • Certain Affinity doing Halo Wars 2
    • Football Manager being console exclusive (maybe timed?) to Xbox
  • Just yesterday, Brad Sams, Jez Corden, and others talking about another "Bethesda-level" acquisition coming from Microsoft
  • Today's Sega news
So there's some smoke there. But still, a lot of conjecture.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I might argue Yakuza is a perfect Game Pass series. It is the video game equivalent to a binge-able Netflix series. Not to mention, up until the announcement re: The Remastered Collection during the Game Awards, every Game Pass tweet was flooded with "where is 3 4 and 5" replies. It is clearly in-demand with the Xbox audience.

I really wouldn't assume Twitter comments are actually reflective of the wider gaming population. Otherwise you'd think P5 would end up selling 10m if it came to switch. It's a loud fanbase that makes itself seem bigger than it is.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Taking choice away is good now I see. As it is it's already 15 bucks for streaming since You need gpu. I have a bridge to sell youif you think it's staying at that price.

So the only way to play for alot of ppl is to drop their platform they are highly invested on. I will for sure drop gaming too.
Consoles Persona 5 is available on right now:

PS4

Consoles Persona 5 would be available on:

Xbox, PC, Cloud Streaming to Mobile

ah yes, less choice

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Depending on how long until Atlus releases their next game, you would probably have a much cheaper option in xCloud and either something like a fireTV or literally just your smart TV
Hum, I like owning my games. I'm still one of those that even prefer to buy physical. Buying an Xbox wouldn't be a problem, it's just that I wouldn't use it for much more than SEGA games and occasionally other exclusives. I wouldn't oppose it; I'd just prefer not to.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
giphy.gif

I feel bad for longtime Yakuza and Persona fans. Consolidation seriously sucks!

People celebrating this make me fucking sick to my stomach. It's really come to this... Literally buying 3rd party publishers in order to stay competitive.

Whichever company engages in this stuff, can go straight to hell. But I'll never forgive MS for starting what seems to become a trend.

Acquisitions didnt start with Microsoft, though.
I'm also not sure what you're 'feeling bad' for long term Yakuza or Persona fans for something that is overwhelmingly likely to be a baseless rumor.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
. However, if we put fanboyisms aside, the best thing for SEGA is to stay independent and not be bought by anyone.

Is it really though? If I'm a fanboy of anything, it's old school Sega and Sonic, and in the 9 years since Sonic Generations released the only 3D Sonic game I've got was Sonic Forces, Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom. In 2 and a half decades we've received the grand total of 1 quality 2D Sonic outside of portable iterations and inexplicably, there's been no word of a follow-up since Mania released.

You don't think it's possible that someone, anyone, could do better with the IP than that?

I want a new Sonic game with a $100 million budget every few years and I want a sequel to Sonic Mania every couple of years. I'm not getting that with the current Sega. It's one of the most valuable IPs in all of gaming and it's receiving no investment at all.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

What choice did people have just a few years ago? Are you trying to sell me oceanfront property in Kansas too? Why do you think Playststion fans are the most upset about all of this? The answer is simple, because Sony has managed to have the dominant system for the largest amount of games by being ruthless and brilliant at the same time. It is after all how they entered the console market, by partnering itself with high profile franchises, which they continue to do to this day like Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto....and Persona games.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017

so poorly that Rare has one of best selling games on steam and gears is really highly rated. Not to mention Halo MC collection selling like hot cakes too. so poorly indeed...

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I definitely welcome Microsoft the most in terms of potential acquisition suitors. It'd bring a ton of value to my Game Pass subscription, while preserving my ability to experience those games on either console or PC

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You are not owed for future games to release on your preferred platform of choice. It has never been that way in gaming. You do have options and it's ultimately up to you to choose the ones that make sense to you to play the games you want to play.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are not owed for future games to release on your preferred platform of choice. It has never been that way in gaming. You do have options and it's ultimately up to you to choose the ones that make sense to you to play the games you want to play.

For some sure. As it is I will drop out after gen 9.

Jun 15, 2020
As only xbox would pay.. do you get it? I doubt sony would pay exclusivity rights for it when they know its automatically going to be there

Microsoft paid because the game won't release on xbox unless they paid money

It's simple as this
And again... so? Xbox paid. So that's where things CURRENTLY lie. THIS SHOULD NOT BE A CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT. THIS IS FACT. YOU EVEN SAID SO.

I'm gonna start putting people on ignore. Ya'll are weird.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Acquisitions didnt start with Microsoft, though.
I'm also not sure what you're 'feeling bad' for long term Yakuza or Persona fans for something that is overwhelmingly likely to be a baseless rumor.
Brad's been spot on before and he's leaked MS related stuff before. Him saying there is something in the works, means... There's likely something in the works.

Oh, and MS themselves saying they're on the lookout for more acquisitions. This is pure speculation, but I wouldn't exactly say it's baseless.

What it is though, is it's worrying.

And no one claimed it started with MS - But they're currently the posterboy for it.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Why are people so trusting of Microsoft's ability to fund and manage game development cycles? Did I miss something over the last 8-9 years?

Yes. With the exception of a few cases, their limited teams have largely delivered games. Turn 10 delivered multiple top quality Forza titles, playground delivered multiple Horizon titles, the Coalition shipped TWO AAA Gears titles in one generation, they coordinated the efficient delivery of TWO Ori titles...among others.

Their output has been middling in recent years largely because they had relatively few studios to work with.

Did I dream of a console launch with no new major first-party titles for a year after release?

Flight Sim comes out in a few months, and way less than a year from launch. So yeah, you've kinda dreamt that.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

1. Buy Sega
7. Announce Condemned 3

This list is why I think MS would have interest. They talked about the E rated gap and many games would easily fill that void.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Tweets =/= real metrics.

If they did Donald Trump would be starting his second term.

1. Buy Sega
7. Announce Condemned 3
Or to rephrase as actual business outcomes:
Buy SEGA
Remake all of the franchises that contributed to their prior hardware failing
Fire the asshole who suggested we soak ~$100-200M and 3-4 years into this
Close all the studios who made these commercial failures
Wonder where we went wrong

No one at SEGA can make a good Sonic Adventure game. They've tried more Sonic 3D games and they've all been failures.

Square Enix is struggling to bring JRPG sensibilities into the 21st century, SEGA gave up on doing that with Phantasy Star before even trying. The only viable Phantasy Star IP is PSO.

JSR3 would require people who actually have some style to make it. Unless MS plans to hire the devs behind Umarangi Generation or something this would be a flop internally.

Crazy Taxi has been tried since and never caught on.

ChuChu Rocket got a sequel on Apple Arcade. How did that do?

Condemned is worthless without Monolith, just like F.E.A.R., and they're owned by WB, so unless MS is going to buy WB Games too, then stop having Monolith making games that actually sell well to instead make a non-RE survival horror game (i.e. a commercial flop at Monolith's production tier) I'm not seeing how this ends well.

SEGA stopped making hardware and is reliant on acquired studios for current industry relevance (Relic, Creative Assembly, Atlus primarily) for a reason y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.