• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Don't. Some of us missed the memo that we were only allowed to buy PlayStations and ended up being multi-console owners and are happy to play Yakuza and Persona on PC/Xbox/Switch/wherever they show up.

Maybe I'm too old for this. But I once had to learn to play Final Fantasy on a PlayStation. I had to learn to play Sonic on a GameCube. And I had to learn to play Perfect Dark on an Xbox. I've survived all of these. Us longtime Yakuza and Persona fans will be fine thanks.

I've played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami on both PS4 and Xbox and both were equally fine experiences.
Didn't realize you spoke for all persona and Yakuza fans huh the more you know.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm good. I don't know what will happen to Sega in the next 18 months, but even if an acquisition were to occur, this wouldn't have been the stage-setter.

I'm not saying they are or aren't getting acquired, let alone by anyone specific, but it's hard to say that neatly separating out the stuff that people would actually want to buy isn't a stage setter in the case where they are purchased.

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever fate for Sega gives me the best chance of Sega Rally and Daytona re-releases/sequels/reboots, or an Alien Isolation 2, I'm happy with. That's all I ask.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
As long as Yakuza and Persona stay on PlayStation, I'm fine lol

Got all my trophy lists for the series on there. I would kill myself if I had to do Yakuza 0, Judgment and Like a Dragon's platinum trophies again lol

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would say it's pretty much a given now. Who it ends up being, maybe Microsoft, maybe Tencent/investment etc.

Jun 15, 2020
The Playstation 5 is going to get lots of great games. So will Switch. So will PC. So will Xbox. Bethesda and Sega don't mean the well dries up. Calm down, everyone.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever fate for Sega gives me the best chance of Sega Rally and Daytona re-releases/sequels/reboots, or an Alien Isolation 2, I'm happy with. That's all I ask.

It's incredible that we don't have a model 3 racing collection at this point. Take the sega ages virtua racing format and pump out scud race, sega rally collection and daytona. I'll buy them at full price ffs.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yeah imo it just rings of desperation. They are so concerned with their first party library growing xbox fans dont realize this doesn't even really create more games. Xbox is just taking talent that already exists in the industry and redirecting them to make only xbox content. These publishers were fine on their own.

Well for one... nothing has happened yet. We've moved from shaky speculation based on a reorganization, to an outright assumption that a Microsoft acquisition is a fait accompli. To say that's premature is an understatement, considering Microsoft buying Sega was meme territory this time yesterday.

For two, if publishers are happy to continue along on their own, they wouldn't be looking for buyers. Zenimax wasn't a hostile takeover, and it's almost certain that Microsoft weren't the only company kicking the tires. And in fact I'm pretty sure we had reporting after the acquisition that Zenimax had indeed been looking for a buyer.

If Microsoft saw value in signing that deal, they weren't not going to do it for their competitor's customers' sake.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm good. I don't know what will happen to Sega in the next 18 months, but even if an acquisition were to occur, this wouldn't have been the stage-setter.
You have no idea. You're likely right but it's amazing how absolute you think you are about it and failing to recognize other possibilities regardless of how remote or unlikely they are.

Aug 23, 2018

There's no smoke. You're projecting your own desire for Microsoft to purchase Sega onto an organizational restructure.

No smoke? Outside of the millions of rumors over the past 12 months, the Bethesda acquisition which at one point in time seemed laughable, and the CEO saying they're not done with those types of acquisitions, how can you say I'm projecting?

Not just the organization restructuring that makes me think this is possible. Their financial report acknowledges streaming services reaching emerging markets with billions of new customers. How is SEGA going to reach them with partnering or being acquired by a MS/Google/Amazon?

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017

There's no smoke. You're projecting your own desire for Microsoft to purchase Sega onto an organizational restructure.

Hard to disagree with this.

Needless meltdowns and a lot of wishful thinking.

MrDonutHouse

Feb 13, 2019
As long as Yakuza and Persona stay on PlayStation, I'm fine lol

Got all my trophy lists for the series on there. I would kill myself if I had to do Yakuza 0, Judgment and Like a Dragon's platinum trophies again lol
In what event would they be removed from their current systems? They can not unrelease those games.
Future games could be on different systems, but why would that affect previous titles?

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Well for one... nothing has happened yet. We've moved from shaky speculation based on a reorganization, to an outright assumption that a Microsoft acquisition is a fait accompli. To say that's premature is an understatement, considering Microsoft buying Sega was meme territory this time yesterday.

For two, if publishers are happy to continue along on their own, they wouldn't be looking for buyers. Zenimax wasn't a hostile takeover, and it's almost certain that Microsoft weren't the only company kicking the tires. And in fact I'm pretty sure we had reporting after the acquisition that Zenimax had indeed been looking for a buyer.

If Microsoft saw value in signing that deal, they weren't not going to do it for their competitor's customers' sake.
Here we go cheerleading companies again. I dont care that MS wants to make money, this is just a net 0 for the gaming industry. If MS was creating more studios like the initiative or expanding their teams it would be amazing but this legit does nothing but take games away from platforms.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
No smoke? Outside of the millions of rumors over the past 12 months, the Bethesda acquisition which at one point in time seemed laughable, and the CEO saying they're not done with those types of acquisitions, how can you say I'm projecting?

Not just the organization restructuring that makes me think this is possible. Their financial report acknowledges streaming services reaching emerging markets with billions of new customers. How is SEGA going to reach them with partnering or being acquired by a MS/Google/Amazon?

No smoke/anything substantial in relation to Sega acquisition as of yet.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I can't just stand all the "RAWRRRR everything needs to be on Switch or they hate Ninty!!!!" Media Create Nintendo gang vs the "W-we still get ND and SM games, check out these GOTY awards, i-it'll be fine, bye w-weebs, hehe" nervous SonyEra bros vs the "OMG PLS PHIL BUY THEM!!!!" Microsoft fanboys constant shitflinging anymore.

Last edited:

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Go read the OP and tell why would Sega Sammy Holdings sell the subsidiary that pumps in benefits & keep the one recording losses.
bro I'm just saying I think they're trying to get their PC/Console games division split off as far as they can because that's the division MS wants to buy, MS doesn't want to get into the Pachislot/arcade business at all

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Here we go cheerleading companies again. I dont care that MS wants to make money, this is just a net 0 for the gaming industry. If MS was creating more studios like the initiative or expanding their teams it would be amazing but this legit does nothing but take games away from platforms.

Microsoft have expanded every single studio they have purchased so far. You think inXile, Obsidian, Playground and Ninja Theory would all be working on multiple concurrent AAA projects without Microsoft's investment?

You think the likes of Tim Schafer and Brian Fargo would stick around if Microsoft were just bleeding out the studios they acquired?

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I were a company would I sell my profitable side of the company just to save my side that's on the decline for YEARS now?

worst thing why they did this is they want someone to invest solely on the gaming side

Jun 15, 2020
Is there a reputable source saying that Microsoft is eyeing Sega or is it all conjecture?
Mostly conjecture, but there are a few things lining up:
  • Phil Spencer has said publicly many times they want Japanese studios
  • Phil also said recently they want more E-rated content (Sonic is a big one)
  • Microsoft has been very cozy with Sega recently
    • Yakuza basically becoming primarily an Xbox franchise
    • PSO2 brought to the West because of Microsoft
    • Relic doing Age of Empires
    • Certain Affinity doing Halo Wars 2
    • Football Manager being console exclusive (maybe timed?) to Xbox
  • Just yesterday, Brad Sams, Jez Corden, and others talking about another "Bethesda-level" acquisition coming from Microsoft
  • Today's Sega news
So there's some smoke there. But still, a lot of conjecture.

Last edited:

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
and what makes you think Microsoft are the ones that would do something worthwhile with SEGA IP's????? LOL they can barely do anything worthwhile with the IP's they have now outside of Gears and Forza.
Yeah let's forget that they just revived flight simulator, and are developing a new Fable, Perfect Dark and Age of Empires..

Halo Gears Forza11!!111!!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
MS buying Sega sounds like a fucking nightmare. God, please let it not happen

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
What does this mean financially for Sega Games? Does this mean more funding or less funding in the grand scheme? Or does this mean they will be even MORE conservative on what they release?

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yup but even with their own in house revivals (House of the Dead Scarlet, Chuchu Rocket Universe, Daytona Championship USA, Sakura Wars, Virtu a Fighter X...)
they do more than many other publishers...

I agree. I didn't mean to imply that Sega did nothing. But I'm glad that even with the properties Sega itself doesn't want to touch, that they allow interested parties like Dotemu, Forever Entertainment, FDG, Ys Net, etc. bring them back.

Yes... it absolutely could be.

I'm not saying they are or aren't getting acquired, let alone by anyone specific, but it's hard to say that neatly separating out the stuff that people would actually want to buy isn't a stage setter in the case where they are purchased.

You have no idea. You're likely right but it's amazing how absolute you think you are about it and failing to recognize other possibilities regardless of how remote or unlikely they are.

Maybe I wasn't specific enough. I just meant that's not the reason behind the restructure (they outlined the reasons in the press release). It could be what opens the door to an acquisition in the future, which I hope doesn't happen, but I don't think that's why they're restructuring now.

There are tons of baseless rumors about the games industry daily. I haven't seen one rumor about Microsoft acquiring Sega worth reporting on.

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't see them being sold off but it's an interesting change nonetheless. To be frank, Microsoft buying Sega was always one big meme.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Just my 2 cents here since everyone is legitimately freaking out over very minimal changes.

Sega Sammy as a corporation had a bad quarter. They are restructuring the business for better efficiency and to make sure that their entertainment business works in tandem with their other divisions better. This includes Sega's game publishing and development arms. This doesn't mean they are "about to get acquired".

Sega is part of Sega Sammy Holdings which is a public organization. It doesn't matter if it's in Japan or not, by law, they are required to announce to their shareholders if any acquisition talks are happening. The whole Japanese company angle is so that the country doesn't lose significant tech companies out to outside investors. Here's a link.

That doesn't mean any acquisition won't happen, but Resetera has a lot of clout, and this freaking out over a business restructuring its divisions thinking it's an acquisition should definitely trigger their PR and internal team to put out statements to calm the fire IF it really goes out of hand, which it likely won't as its very much niche sections of the fanbase freaking out. They could definitely sell off their entertainment arm, who knows but that's not the reason for the restructuring that's happening.

Finally, yes, this would be a decent move for Microsoft to cover their Japanese games gap. Sega currently publishes and develops a lot of niche games, and them being available on Game Pass would be a big boon for their catalog. However, people who are excited by "OLD SEGA IS COMING BACK" need to relax. Sega currently has several projects in development, not to mention games to publish and Atlus to support. They won't magically be able to bring you back to the 90s out of the blue. If an acquisition does happen, we won't be seeing any "new vision" of Sega for at least 3-5 years until the company gets slowly consolidated into Xbox Games Studio. Even if they stay at a low integration model like say Mojang or potentially Bethesda, they can't just cancel everything and go back to pleasing the 90s kids. Just take a look at Rare. We get a few nods to nostalgia every few years, but generally speaking, they are focused on creating new content.

I know people are excited, but this isn't doom/gloom or amazing out of the blue. If it happens, we will surely know about it before everything is approved.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
  • Just yesterday, Brad Sams, Jez Corden, and others talking about another "Bethesda-level" acquisition coming from Microsoft
  • Today's Sega news

And there is another small one, Xbox version of Football Manager.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

At no point in my post did I "cheerlead" anything, though I appreciate the condescension. I spoke to the business realities inherent in what is happening, just like when it happens in any other industry.

I don't blame any PlayStation-only gamer for being bummed out about the Zenimax acquisition, and the same would go for any theoretical Sega acquisition. Though for the record, this goes for basically any studio acquisition by a platform-holder, even if they mostly made "exclusives" beforehand. When you buy a studio you're buying their future - a future where they might have made multiplatform releases for all to enjoy.

I'm in no way excited about the prospect of Microsoft buying Sega, though I think this speculation is kinda ridiculous to begin with. People have jumped from a reorganization to an acquisition, and I have no idea why. And as a public company I'm pretty sure Sega would have to disclose any such negotiations anyway.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's the best fit for them. Sega likes to make a bunch of different disparate directives with their classic titles. They're unfocused and never amount to anything: Sega ages, Sega forever and the vintage collections - like if you could just put all of that energy into one publisher you would be doing great. Also I don't think Microsoft would make the persona games exclusive to xbox - I feel like it would be a no brainer in terms of business just to make sure that you could make it day and date on your console but also keep up the the same legacy of releasing on Sony platforms as well. And then there's the European branch, which is making MS' rts games.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So if Microsoft gobbles up companies and game you like you will exit gaming because your TV setup doesn't support another box under the tv?

Iam on switch and ps and highly invested in them. If more and more games aint avsiable to me. I wont get another System like at all. Why is that strange too you?

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
  • Today's Sega news

NErFV6F.gif

Looks at Yakuza series sales by platform....

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I can't just stand all the "RAWRRRR everything needs to be on Switch or they hate Ninty!!!!" Media Create Nintendo gang vs the "W-we still get ND and SM games, check out these GOTY awards, i-it'll be fine, bye w-weebs, hehe" nervous SonyEra bros vs the "OMG PLS PHIL BUY THEM!!!!" Microsoft fanboys constant shitflinging anymore.

lmao, this is good.

and kinda accurate

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
bro I'm just saying I think they're trying to get their PC/Console games division split off as far as they can because that's the division MS wants to buy, MS doesn't want to get into the Pachislot/arcade business at all

I think what he means is even if the slot machines are the money maker they still leverage the gaming IP for that so why would they sell it which I think does make some sense unless whoever they sell to does a license agreement.

It could just be they want to make one part of the company more nimble and clear cut what the money makers are and to do something that helps the gaming side grow better away from that support.

Jun 23, 2019
Can you give me info that explains when the Japanese government will step in and prevent a merger? Because I see that thrown around all the time without any evidence that it would happen for a small, marginally successful company.

Just my 2 cents here since everyone is legitimately freaking out over very minimal changes.

Sega Sammy as a corporation had a bad quarter. They are restructuring the business for better efficiency and to make sure that their entertainment business works in tandem with their other divisions better. This includes Sega's game publishing and development arms. This doesn't mean they are "about to get acquired".

Sega is part of Sega Sammy Holdings which is a public organization. It doesn't matter if it's in Japan or not, by law, they are required to announce to their shareholders if any acquisition talks are happening. The whole Japanese company angle is so that the country doesn't lose significant tech companies out to outside investors. Here's a link.

That doesn't mean any acquisition won't happen, but Resetera has a lot of clout, and this freaking out over a business restructuring its divisions thinking it's an acquisition should definitely trigger their PR and internal team to put out statements to calm the fire it really goes out of hand. They could definitely sell off their entertainment arm, who knows but that's not the reason for the restructuring that's happening.

Finally, yes, this would be a decent move for Microsoft to cover their Japanese games gap. Sega currently publishes and develops a lot of niche games, and them being available on Game Pass would be a big boon for their catalog. However, people who are excited by "OLD SEGA IS COMING BACK" need to relax. Sega currently has several projects in development, not to mention games to publish and Atlus to support. They won't magically be able to bring you back to the 90s out of the blue. If an acquisition does happen, we won't be seeing any "new vision" of Sega for at least 3-5 years until the company gets slowly consolidated into Xbox Games Studio. Even if they stay at a low integration model like say Mojang or potentially Bethesda, they can't just cancel everything and go back to pleasing the 90s kids. Just take a look at Rare. We get a few nods to nostalgia every few years, but generally speaking, they are focused on creating new content.

I know people are excited, but this isn't doom/gloom or amazing out of the blue. If it happens, we will surely know about it before everything is approved.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
  • Today's Sega news

Because they are on Gamepass?

Only 7 has seen a Physical release on the system.
It releases in Japan next month on XSX but digital only again.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
People are right saying this restructure probably has not much to do with aquisitions. This probably woulve happened anyway wether or not they are going to be acquired in the next decade. The timing is funny though.

Status
Not open for further replies.