• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Despite the crazy uproar in this thread, I don't think this means much of anything (currently) that hints towards a sale and is instead Sega streamlining their business.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Because MS fans think that MS can buy literally anything they want and don't realize that not only would the Japanese government possibly step in on a possible acquisition, with Sega being a publicly traded company, any company could jump into the bidding war. Having a lot of money doesn't automatically mean you get what you want.

Don't forget people like me who are terminally paranoid and always assume the worst

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that people are cheering for Sega to be acquired, meaning than another company would do things better than them, says a lot about how low Sega has been recently.

It does. Sega of today is not the Sega of old. There are so many IP languishing. IF ms were to purchase I would think it would be a good thing for Sega's games.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
As long as Sega keeps supporting the PC I don't care who buys them. Not that I believe this is a sign they are looking for a buyer though.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
giphy.gif

I feel bad for longtime Yakuza and Persona fans. Consolidation seriously sucks!

People celebrating this make me fucking sick to my stomach. It's really come to this... Literally buying 3rd party publishers in order to stay competitive.

Whichever company engages in this stuff, can go straight to hell. But I'll never forgive MS for starting what seems to become a trend.
Lol don't you think you are reaching here? It's just a management change, we don't know if they'll really sell lmao

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
It's not unheard in modern times at all.

I don't need to dug in 20-25 years old stuff, in 2015 we had Activision Blizzard spending $6 BILLION on King and Tencent in 2016, spent a whopping $8.5 BILLION on Supercell.
And let's not forget all the studios and publisher acquired by Embracer in the last 2-3 years.
And we had Nacon merging with BigBen and guess what they did? They acquired 5 studios in the last 2 years.
The difference? None of them is a gigantic console-manufacturer and those acquisitions didn't impact console gaming specifically. Those were mostly mobile gaming companies and even when they weren't, they had essentially zero impact on console gaming.

There is a fucking difference and I'm tired of the false equivalencies and horrible excuses being made. Can we at least agree that it's fucking BAD, even as a hypothetical?!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite the crazy uproar in this thread, I don't think this means much of anything (currently) that hints towards a sale and is instead Sega streamlining their business.
This is highly likely the reason however given the current climate in the industry and what's been going on, we also can't completely dismiss the other reason even if it seems highly unlikely.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It's time

220px-Shin_Megami_Tensei_Nine.png

but yeah, this sounds like fairly common re-structuring stuff? haven't Square and Konami both done the same recently

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
giphy.gif

People celebrating this make me fucking sick to my stomach. It's really come to this... Literally buying 3rd party publishers in order to stay competitive.

Whichever company engages in this stuff, can go straight to hell. But I'll never forgive MS for starting what seems to become a trend.
Yeah imo it just rings of desperation. They are so concerned with their first party library growing xbox fans dont realize this doesn't even really create more games. Xbox is just taking talent that already exists in the industry and redirecting them to make only xbox content. These publishers were fine on their own.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a question. I don't understand these things all that well so sorry for my ignorance. This seems like to me a restructure on Segas part. Why are people correlating that to a buyout/acquisition/merger?

Is this just a wish for some or is their some substance behind this? Thanks for anyone that can clarify.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The difference? None of them is a gigantic console-manufacturer and those acquisitions didn't impact console gaming specifically. Those were mostly mobile gaming companies and even when they weren't, they had essentially zero impact on console gaming.

There is a fucking difference and I'm tired of the false equivalencies and horrible excuses being made. Can we at least agree that it's fucking BAD?!

I'm not making excuses

We are living in a free market and this is capitalization at its finest. If acquisitions are not illegal, then there's nothing bad about what MS or Embracer or Tencent are doing.

It's only bad if you are going to miss out on some games because you have decided to stick to one specific platform, but for me? I don't care, Sony, MS, Tencent or Nintendo or EA they can buy whatever they want, i'm in no position to stop them and still, this is only gaming and a hobby to me, not a big deal at the end of the day and being pissed is just unhealthy.

Apr 21, 2018
Why Sega has not revived their old IPs I do not know
They did
www.resetera.com

All Sega Revivals - The logbook of the community (updates every month)

Spring 2021 BREAKING UPDATE: The man who left the company long ago and was behind the Awesome Dreamcast lineup is back at Sega and became...the new head of Sega Studios ! Sega having a very weird communication, many projects often fly under our radars. This thread is listing all recent...
A lot...

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question. I don't understand these things all that well so sorry for my ignorance. This seems like to me a restructure on Segas part. Why are people correlating that to a buyout/acquisition/merger?

Is this just a wish for some or is their some substance behind this? Thanks for anyone that can clarify.
Timing, that's it. There's no substance behind it yet.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MS buying Sega would be a big event but ultimately Sega is not that big of a player. They have a couple of valuable IP but not on the scale of Fallout or Elder Scrolls. Bethesda is still the biggest get for MS. Sega would be a mid tier get but still valuable for adding niche content to their service.

This is how I feel as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Sega is a great fit for MS. They give MS a stronger east Asian presence and more family friendly content. MS games portfolio lack both those things. Sega also supports PCs which is a plus.

This isn't a cheerleading post. I'm just dealing with reality.
It sorta is. Not intentionally. Sega isn't going to elevate MS out of near obscurity in Japan. All it'll do is make Sega games exclusive in the West and they'll lose out on the Sonic fanbase on Nintendo systems, and the Persona/Yakuza fanbase on Sony systems. I just don't see how this deal benefits Sega

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They did
www.resetera.com

All Sega Revivals - The logbook of the community (updates every month)

Spring 2021 BREAKING UPDATE: The man who left the company long ago and was behind the Awesome Dreamcast lineup is back at Sega and became...the new head of Sega Studios ! Sega having a very weird communication, many projects often fly under our radars. This thread is listing all recent...
A lot...

Well, mostly other companies did, not Sega. But Sega is cool in that they license their unused IP in the first place.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I would imagine that if MS were to purchase them they would probably leave most of the Japanese stuff multiplatform. Unlike Bethesda, I actually don't think those franchises would do great without Sony/Nintendo. It would just allow them to all be released on Xbox also day-and-date which currently most of it doesn't.

Oct 28, 2017
Because MS fans think that MS can buy literally anything they want and don't realize that not only would the Japanese government possibly step in on a possible acquisition, with Sega being a publicly traded company, any company could jump into the bidding war. Having a lot of money doesn't automatically mean you get what you want.

Can you give me info that explains when the Japanese government will step in and prevent a merger? Because I see that thrown around all the time without any evidence that it would happen for a small, marginally successful company.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Rather they stay independent and not sure this news means much.

Most of all I want a Skies of Arcadia remake/HD and sequel. Clearly it's too much to ask from Sega.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
If you've been paying attention, Xbox has significantly changed the way they managed studios. It also takes time to make games yet alone of high quality. The pandemic also didn't help.

It will be fascinating seeing what the perception of XGS will be after this generation.

Things may very well change. And better management of studios, leading to higher quality titles, is in no way a bad thing. But we are yet to see it paying off at all, and people are already assuming Microsoft buying publishers left and right is a good thing because they will somehow revive all the forgotten franchises, and fund all of these amazing projects that will hit Gamepass day one (no price hike as well).

All in a thread about Sega restructuring. It's almost ridiculous at this point how badly people hide the fact that they just want their favorite trillion dollar corporation to "get a win" over the competition. Fanboy wishlists and tales of Microsoft "the Good" abound this forum, and I must confess to be perplexed by it.

eDIGI

Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Man this would be so crazy if Microsoft did acquire them considering their history with the Dreamcast and almost working out a deal with them for the original Xbox.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who works on M&A as part of my job, I can safely dismiss the other reason for now.
Completely? You can't. Only time will tell if this meant more than what it actually was.
Things may very well change. And better management of studios, leading to higher quality titles, is in no way a bad thing. But we are yet to see it paying off at all, and people are already assuming Microsoft buying publishers left and right is a good thing because they will somehow revive all the forgotten franchises, and fund all of these amazing projects that will hit Gamepass day one (no price hike as well).

All in a thread about Sega restructuring. It's almost ridiculous at this point how badly people hide the fact that they just want their favorite trillion dollar corporation to "get a win" over the competition. Fanboy wishlists and tales of Microsoft "the Good" abound this forum, and I must confess to be perplexed by it.
I don't necessarily disagree and can see how annoying it's all become.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft acquisition incoming.
wouldn't be surprised. we had that Bloomberg article which said MS was talking to Japanese devs (big and small) about acquisitions and we have insiders hinting at other major acquisitions similar in size to Bethesda and then we have the CEO himself saying they aren't done with acquisitions and that was immediately after announcing the Bethesda acquisition. I mean the signs are obvious. something major is coming. :)

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone who's saying this move looks like they're clearly priming themselves for acquisition actually know how M&A works? Genuine question, because this could very easily just be a standard restructuring. A lot of posts sound like wishful thinking from the usual crowd if anything.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

The acqusition wars have began. This stuff will keep happening every time there is a restructuring now somewhere.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh lord, please don't have Sega be bought out by Microsoft.
This....
Though it won't be as bad of a sting, as Sega has lost it's magic since the DC days.
In my eyes, Sega officially died on March 31, 2001. MS buying them would just be pumping formaldehyde into a corpse.

Here's to Sega's 20th memorial of remembrance...
pouring-out-liquor.gif

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This....
Though it won't be as bad of a sting, as Sega has lost it's magic since the DC days.
In my eyes, Sega officially died on March 31, 2001. MS buying them would just be pumping formaldehyde into a corpse.

Here's to Sega's 20th memorial of remembrance...
pouring-out-liquor.gif

the melodrama is off the charts, sega releases a lot of fantastic games.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We are living in a free market and this is capitalization at its finest. If acquisitions are not illegal, then there's nothing bad about what MS or Embracer or Tencent are doing

Something being good or bad is not defined in any sense by whether there are laws against it. There were laws against defacing public monuments, but it was still good when that slave trader statue was pulled down and dumped in the ocean last year, for an obvious more extreme example.

Oct 25, 2017
Sega: *does something*

Era: "Microsoft acquisition incoming," "The timing lines up for a Microsoft acquisition," etc.

And each time, there is nothing to suggest an acquisition, nonetheless one by Microsoft.

Sega isn't hinting at anything or being coy. They literally outline the reasons for this organizational restructuring, which are to:
  • "...transform its business structure to adapt to the external environment"
    • (Should be noted that "adapt to the external environment" means to adapt to anything outside the control of the company.)
  • "...build an even more efficient structure for the head office operations of [Sega Sammy] Group."
And doing so will:
  • "...establish a system to drive and support [Sega Sammy] Group business as a whole by integrating corporate functions and other administrative operations into [Sega Sammy Holdings]."
  • "...[dissolve] the intermediate holding company in the Entertainment Contents business, and accelerate global business development by streamlining the [Sega Sammy] Group's structure and accelerating decision-making."
It's like everyone here wants Microsoft to buy Sega. Which would be bad.

As for Nagoshi, I couldn't say why he stepped down from his role as CCO (edit: possibly health-related?), but I'm looking forward to him returning to a more hands-on role in game development, if that's what this means.

Wanna make an avatar bet? I say someone announces they are acquiring Sega (or significant parts) in the next 18 months.

Aug 23, 2018
Sega: *does something*

Era: "Microsoft acquisition incoming," "The timing lines up for a Microsoft acquisition," etc.

And each time, there is nothing to suggest an acquisition, nonetheless one by Microsoft.

Sega isn't hinting at anything or being coy. They literally outline the reasons for this organizational restructuring, which are to:
  • "...transform its business structure to adapt to the external environment"
    • (Should be noted that "adapt to the external environment" means to adapt to anything outside the control of the company.)
  • "...build an even more efficient structure for the head office operations of [Sega Sammy] Group."
And doing so will:
  • "...establish a system to drive and support [Sega Sammy] Group business as a whole by integrating corporate functions and other administrative operations into [Sega Sammy Holdings]."
  • "...[dissolve] the intermediate holding company in the Entertainment Contents business, and accelerate global business development by streamlining the [Sega Sammy] Group's structure and accelerating decision-making."
It's like everyone here wants Microsoft to buy Sega. Which would be bad.

As for Nagoshi, I couldn't say why he stepped down from his role as CCO (edit: possibly health-related?), but I'm looking forward to him returning to a more hands-on role in game development, if that's what this means.

Hard to ignore all the smoke, here. And given the climate of acquisitions it's not hard to see why some users have reacted to the news in this way.

Count me in as one of the people that would want to see MS revive some of my childhood favorite IPs at SEGA. The potential for the BC team emulating past SEGA titles into GamePass, having a fully funded Yakuza series with localization day 1, and the complete financial backing of MS excites me.
Trying to assign a morality code behind company acquisitions is weird. These are businesses that are doing what's best for them, and the companies being acquired are 99/100 looking to be bought. If MS ends up acquiring them (I still think some kind of GP partnership is more likely) than so be it. It's hard not to think the future of SEGA titles under the current Xbox team wouldn't be a hell of a lot more exciting than what they're doing now.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

I feel bad for longtime PSO/PSO2 fans because MS has had to market it and make the Western release happen. If you look at the marketing for PSO2: NGS for the global market, it has been absolutely abysmal and embarrassing. They barely reached the first goal out of five for a Twitter followers campaign. Don't act like Sega are doing a great job in handling all their IPs and marketing.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The acqusition wars have began. This stuff will keep happening every time there is a restructuring now somewhere.

Oh believe me, I know they have!

I was just trying to highlight that there is usually other signs that happen before full-blown M&A happen, and I don't see them quite yet.

I do think this will be good for Sega's business though!

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
I hope so. I really, really want someone to do something more worthwhile with Sega's IPs.

and what makes you think Microsoft are the ones that would do something worthwhile with SEGA IP's????? LOL they can barely do anything worthwhile with the IP's they have now outside of Gears and Forza.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wanna make an avatar bet? I say someone announces they are acquiring Sega (or significant parts) in the next 18 months.

I'm good. I don't know what will happen to Sega in the next 18 months, but even if an acquisition were to occur, this wouldn't have been the stage-setter.

Hard to ignore all the smoke, here. And given the climate of acquisitions it's not hard to see why some users have reacted to the news in this way.

Count me in as one of the people that would want to see MS revive some of my childhood favorite IPs at SEGA. The potential for the BC team emulating past SEGA titles into GamePass, having a fully funded Yakuza series with localization day 1, and the complete financial backing of MS excites me.
Trying to assign a morality code behind company acquisitions is weird. These are businesses that are doing what's best for them, and the companies being acquired are 99/100 looking to be bought. If MS ends up acquiring them (I still think some kind of GP partnership is more likely) than so be it. It's hard not to think the future of SEGA titles under the current Xbox team wouldn't be a hell of a lot more exciting than what they're doing now.

There's no smoke. You're projecting your own desire for Microsoft to purchase Sega onto an organizational restructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.