• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Ahh, but even then, that was over 20 years ago. Microsoft also considered purchasing Nintendo and that time, and were laughed out. I don't think that's really any solid ground to hold to current rumors, as, it was two decades ago (imo).
That, the original Xbox stuff, MS looking to buy, etc. Also, this always happen with SEGA and MS. It's a meme by now. Look at post 345.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
There is no indication whatsoever that this change is to accommodate for an acquisition, I mean, the pdf itself has the reasons on why they are doing this, unless you want to read between the lines I can't see where they want to be acquired.
.... has been working on structural reform to transform its business structure to adapt to the external environment. The Group has decided to restructure its organization in order to build an even more efficient structure for the head office operations of the Group.

Establish a system to drive and support the Group business as a whole by integrating corporate functions and other administrative operations into the Company.

Dissolution of the intermediate holding company in the Entertainment Contents business, and accelerate global business development by streamlining the Group's structure and accelerating decision-making.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This is pathetic.

It wont happen. Sega Sammy Holdings isnt selling their most profitable division/subsidiary.

Exactly. People don't seem to understand that restructurings like this happen all the time. And even if someone did acquire a bunch of Sega it wouldn't actually change their output. What matters to Sega of 2021? Retro compilations, PC strategy games, PSO, Sonic, Persona, SMT and Yakuza. So what would matter to a company that acquires Sega IP? Retro compilations, PC strategy games, PSO, Sonic, Persona, SMT and Yakuza.

Microsoft wouldn't acquire a bunch of Sega IP and then be like "Okay we need to green light Sega Bass Fishing 3, Virtua Cop 4, Crazy Taxi 4, Dragon Force 3, Fighting Vipers 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga 2...". If a company acquired a bunch of Sega IP they'd just keep rolling with what already does well. MAYBE they would be more willing to dust off an older franchise more often than Sega does now but that would probably quickly come to an end when they don't see the returns they want from it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally yesterday in the potential acquisition thread, I was saying that for an outside company to acquire Sega, they'd have to separate their console/PC business from their other business holdings. And here we go...
Exactly, how can we not bring up the potential of a buyout with this move, I know it's inconvenient for some, but this is in line with what you'd expect if a company is flirting with the idea of a sell off/acquisition.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
I always saw the Xbox as the evolution of Sega consoles. It would be crazy to think that sonic could replace chief as the Xbox mascot.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we getting one step closer to Eternal Champions vs Killer Instinct? LOL

I'm skeptical this restructuring has anything to do with acquisition but given the climate, I also can't dismiss it.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, a lot of these IPs are classics that a lot of people love and have nostalgia for. It's still wild to me that Microsoft will soon own classic IPs like Doom/Wolfenstein/Quake, the grandfathers of first person shooters. Or Elder Scrolls and Fallout. All those franchises are older than Xbox itself!

I don't think you would get as much "concern" over like PUBG being bought out.

Then buy the platform they are on. If MS for some reason sold Halo to Amazon. I signing up for Luna or whatever. Don't see the big deal. I love Dragon Ball so I made sure to have a PS2 back in day. I'm I wrong for thinking it's that simple

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

I feel bad for longtime Yakuza and Persona fans. Consolidation seriously sucks!

People celebrating this make me fucking sick to my stomach. It's really come to this... Literally buying 3rd party publishers in order to stay competitive.

Whichever company engages in this stuff, can go straight to hell. But I'll never forgive MS for starting what seems to become a trend.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
People really went from excusing Microsoft because they only bought smaller studios and publishers that were "shopping for a buyer", to taking any news about a company in the industry as a sign that Microsoft will pounce and being happy for it?

Does Sega also need to be bought, or risk closing down?

Sep 7, 2020
I can absolutely understand how people might be upset IF MS were to gain the Sega under the umbrella. I do think its likely that Sega is setting themselves up to be sold to some bigger fish.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Guys.. MS owning Sega is not such a bad idea.

I said it before.. An Obsidian made Panzer Dragoon Saga.. or something similar. I mean come on!

Btw, Alpha Protocol?

Rare checking out Alex Kidd stuff.. Daytona/Sega Rally stuff by PG.. yeah, nice stuff can happen..

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Oh but of course Sega is splitting its business into two companies. Sega Sammy is only going to sell the Console/PC side of the company to MS. It's so obvious now.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
This is Phil Spencer & Satya's Xbox. Go read up on Bryan Fargo, Tim Schafer, Feargus Urquhart, Greg Makes, Tameem Antoniades on how things have improved.

The issue is that this will not always be Phil Spencer's Xbox (it will also not be Satya's forever, but I do want to talk about the potential risk to Microsoft's gaming division and those they have acquired under him). Microsoft's gaming division under different leadership has closed down a number of studios and laid a number of IPs into dormancy. In addition, Satya has been supportive of Xbox so far but there have been talks (and I believe Phil confirmed it, but correct me if I am wrong) that he was looking to axe or spin-off the business when he originally took over. Satya has, of course, led Microsoft out of a number of consumer businesses including mobile phones (both in terms of software platform and by writing off the Nokia acquisition) and music in addition he has reduced the role of the Windows ecosystem in the consumer space. Microsoft is a cloud-first/office-first company under Satya and much of the current management, everything else seems to be secondary to that. I feel like if cloud-gaming does not take off in the way Satya hopes that would endanger Phil's position and without Phil fighting for Xbox then it could lead to Satya or successors to scale it back, spin it off, or write it off.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

People celebrating this make me fucking sick to my stomach. It's really come to this... Literally buying 3rd party publishers in order to stay competitive.

Whichever company engages in this stuff, can go straight to hell. But I'll never forgive MS for starting what seems to become a trend.

It's just video games

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Hope this leads to more investment in Sega Europe. I love what those teams have been doing the past years.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
A question: Why is everyone talking about MS buying Sega?
Doesn't Sony actually have a better relationship with Sega? I mean, Persona, they made Yakuza a thing in the west, etc...
And isn't Sega a japanese company? Wouldn't that complicate things for an american company to buy Sega?

I have no idea what's happening lmao

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
how is PC division doing in SEGA? i have heard their football manager games are selling good and sometimes persona is making headlines.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I said it before.. An Obsidian made Panzer Dragoon Saga.. or something similar. I mean come on!

Btw, Alpha Protocol?

Rare checking out Alex Kidd stuff.. Daytona/Sega Rally stuff by PG.. yeah, nice stuff can happen..

It's a bad idea for Microsoft. A total waste of money.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for longtime Yakuza and Persona fans.

Don't. Some of us missed the memo that we were only allowed to buy PlayStations and ended up being multi-console owners and are happy to play Yakuza and Persona on PC/Xbox/Switch/wherever they show up.

Maybe I'm too old for this. But I once had to learn to play Final Fantasy on a PlayStation. I had to learn to play Sonic on a GameCube. And I had to learn to play Perfect Dark on an Xbox. I've survived all of these. Us longtime Yakuza and Persona fans will be fine thanks.

I've played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami on both PS4 and Xbox and both were equally fine experiences.

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
There is no indication whatsoever that this change is to accommodate for an acquisition, I mean, the pdf itself has the reasons on why they are doing this, unless you want to read between the lines I can't see where they want to be acquired.

Yea, it's just restructuring. Sega Sammy is still Sega Sammy, it's not becoming Sega Games and Sammy Slots or something like that. Sony and Konami have done/are doing the same thing.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Forgive? These are for profit companies. Why are you personifying them like a sports team?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Doesn't Sony actually have a better relationship with Sega? I mean, Persona, they made Yakuza a thing in the west, etc...

MS also hs a good relationship with SEGA.

MS is literally using a SEGA studio (Relic Entertainment) to make Age of Empires 4
MS also used another SEGA studio (Creative Assembly) to make Halo Wars 2

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Btw, Alpha Protocol?

And why can't Sega being independent allow things like this to happen?

We got Streets of Rage 4, a VR Space Channel 5 game, Sonic getting a good sequel, Daytona USA got a new arcade game and so did House of the Dead. Anything can happen at this point and MS isn't the thing that makes them happen.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
From my perspective as someone who love Yakuza and Persona, it's not that I won't play future games but I worry about the health of those series where Japanese sales are still very important and Xbox/PC gaming has little foothold in Japan.

Sales still matter, but with XGP, the ability to offer a diversified portfolio and retain their subscribers is going to be more valuable. And if Microsoft is giving freedom to their studios (as some have stated), I don't see the reason to think the studios are going to change their games.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Would be a very tasty acquisition for somebody, I hope they can remain independent, but I'd rather have an established gaming company buy them over Google or Amazon, even if it ends up with platform exclusivity.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
And why can't Sega being independent allow things like this to happen?

We got Streets of Rage 4, a VR Space Channel 5 game, Sonic getting a good sequel, Daytona USA got a new arcade game and so did House of the Dead. Anything can happen at this point and MS isn't the thing that makes them happen.

Because Obsidian and the devs I mentioned are MS in-house teams. Both Obsidian and Playground are established and top tier devs in their categories..

Why Sega has not revived their old IPs I do not know, but it is a gamble of course. With Gamepass, MS can afford to gamble on games that are a bit more odd..

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because Obsidian and the devs I mentioned are MS in-house teams. Both Obsidian and Playground are established and top tier devs in their categories..

Why Sega has not revived their old IPs I do not know, but it is a gamble of course. With Gamepass, MS can afford to gamble on games that are a bit more odd..
They literally did this gen though...

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Don't. Some of us missed the memo that we were only allowed to buy PlayStations and ended up being multi-console owners and are happy to play Yakuza and Persona on PC/Xbox/Switch/wherever they show up.

I've played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami on both PS4 and Xbox and both were equally fine experiences.
Plus, let's be honest, if you already have Gamepass, it wouldn't be the worst things for those games to come to the service day one. Or for the MS BC wizards to look at Sega's back catalog (personally disc based Dreamcast emulation would be pretty sweet).

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. Microsoft seems to be happy to work with Nintendo. I doubt they'd care about Nintendo paying for Bayonetta 3, especially if they can work out some kind of arrangement that puts Bayonetta 2 and 3 on Game Pass.
I'm not worried about Bayo 3 - that's a done deal and will happen on the Switch. It's more about whether there'll be more Bayo beyond that, and if so, on which platforms. Nintendo's not going to want keep funding the series if they don't get the games exclusively, and I'm not sure MS would be OK with their IP not appearing on any of their own platforms.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
It's just video games
It's a hobby I'm engaged it. We all are, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

It potentially being ruined, is just saddening.
Buying 3rd party games on your platform of choice being less and less of an option, is never fucking good. Period.

Longtime fans of these SEGA franchises are undoubtedlty PS fans and they helped build most of them, especially Yakuza and Persona.

I bet you the people celebrating, wouldn't exactly be ecstatic over Apple/Google/Sony buying Rockstar. No one, besides the buyer, really benefits from this.

I'll never fucking support it.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sega: *does something*

Era: "Microsoft acquisition incoming," "The timing lines up for a Microsoft acquisition," etc.

And each time, there is nothing to suggest an acquisition, nonetheless one by Microsoft.

Sega isn't hinting at anything or being coy. They literally outline the reasons for this organizational restructuring, which are to:
  • "...transform its business structure to adapt to the external environment"
    • (Should be noted that "adapt to the external environment" means to adapt to anything outside the control of the company.)
  • "...build an even more efficient structure for the head office operations of [Sega Sammy] Group."
And doing so will:
  • "...establish a system to drive and support [Sega Sammy] Group business as a whole by integrating corporate functions and other administrative operations into [Sega Sammy Holdings]."
  • "...[dissolve] the intermediate holding company in the Entertainment Contents business, and accelerate global business development by streamlining the [Sega Sammy] Group's structure and accelerating decision-making."
It's like everyone here wants Microsoft to buy Sega. Which would be bad.

As for Nagoshi, I couldn't say why he stepped down from his role as CCO (edit: possibly health-related?), but I'm looking forward to him returning to a more hands-on role in game development, if that's what this means.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
apart from the acquisition rumors (but buying a Japanese company ISN'T that easy at all), I'd say it sounds promising for their own business too

Status
Not open for further replies.