• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Port begging not allowed.
Studio acquisition begging is ok or what?
The origins of port begging if I remember correctly were every damn thread being filled up with "VITA PORT WHEN", which has no real relation to anything in the threads they were in. It was legit just vita when on a trailer for a ps4 or 3ds game that had no reason to inherently come to vita.

One is...well
....asking for a port. One is conjecture as to a studio forming. Begging isnt the same nor is all begging port begging regardless, some is diff.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, once MS spent 7.5 billion dollars on a publisher that's a too big earthquake to not change the playfield.

Although is fun to speculate I think there's very little reason for MS to buy Sega and this does not indicate otherwise.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Yeah, if port begging is not allowed, studio beggining should not be,i dont think. If anything it is worse, because with port begging you are only asking for a game you want to play in a platform you like, here is just pure console war corporate apology. It is honestly embarrassing.

On topic, i think this is just a change for optimization and in response to the covid-19 situation, perhaps preparing for the future.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
no it doesnt fit, tencent has $40B in the bank and wanted to raise $6B for an acquisition, SEGA SAMMY as a whole is ~4B, they wouldnt need to raise any cash

There's a difference between a company's cash reserves and actually stirring up enough legal tender to make an acquisition. Sony has $40 billion or so in cash, and still needed to contact a loan company to help them raise the $1.5 billion they planned to offer Leyou.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
MS buying Sega would be a big event but ultimately Sega is not that big of a player. They have a couple of valuable IP but not on the scale of Fallout or Elder Scrolls. Bethesda is still the biggest get for MS. Sega would be a mid tier get but still valuable for adding niche content to their service.
While this is true, it would still take away a lot of smaller, but beloved franchises from platforms that are attached to them for decades. Sakura Wars, Shin Megami Tensei/Persona, Shining and so on. If MS decides to make everything exclusive to their eco-system. It would suck for a lot of people. Very curious about how the gaming landscape will look in 10 years. I don't see this turning into something good tbh.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if port begging is not allowed, studio beggining should not be,i dont think. If anything it is worse, because with port begging you are only asking for a game you want to play in a platform you like, here is just pure console war corporate apology. It is honestly embarrassing.

On topic, i think this is just a change for optimization and in response to the covid-19 situation, perhaps preparing for the future.
Again, this is very silly comparison.

Like completely. Come on, guys.

Conjecture based on business climate is nowhere like port begging. It's such a silly comparison it should not even come up.

Oct 27, 2017
It's nothing like port begging at all, though. MS said it's looking to acquire more studios and Sega just restructured to make an acquisition easier--doesn't mean it will happen.
But you don't see how people keep on banging the drum on every single company out there whenever something happens over there?

Like let's be honest here, this thread is about Sega restructuring and the first thing people start saying is MS buying them or people talking about their games being on game pass.

It is not even just about Sega, Square along with Capcom and even Konami are mentioned even though all three are doing well. And that's just on the japanese side.

To me it is as close as to "Perfect for the Switch/Vita/PC/PS4" as it comes.
Ah true. My mistake!
No worries.

I do see how you might have thought this because Tencent is investing in Japanese companies too.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
But you don't see how people keep on banging the drum on every single company out there whenever something happens over there?

Like let's be honest here, this thread is about Sega restructuring and the first thing people start saying is MS buying them or people talking about their games being on game pass.

It is not even just about Sega, Square along with Capcom and even Konami are mentioned even though all three are doing well. And that's just on the japanese side.

No worries.

I do see how you might have thought this because Tencent is investing in Japanese companies too.
Again, because two huge players, Tencent and MS have signaled they are open to buy. That's why all this happening. Once they make their acquisitions, it will cool down.

It's also earnings season, so a lot of business activity.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Again, this is very silly comparison.

Like completely. Come on, guys.

Conjecture based on business climate is nowhere like port begging. It's such a silly comparison it should not even come up.

I'm sure messages like "Save us, MS" are actually really smart analysis of the company's economics and not fanboy drivel like portbegging is.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
All these comments about Microsoft acquiring them is just jading to constantly keep seeing.....

"Warchest" and other quite frankly embarrassing comments based on pure fiction at this moment in time is just annoying.

Can we please just have threads about SEGA not be about acquisition and how MS are preparing to buy them, joke or not it's just grating to constantly see.....

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure messages like "Save us, MS" are actually really smart analysis of the company's economics and not fanboy drivel like portbegging is.
I guess I missed that thread.

Even that, it is silliness. Boards have silliness and seriousness in them at the same time. That's clearly a joke.

But the reason the speculation is happening is because two big players have signaled intentions to buy. Has Sony and Nintendo said anything?

Oct 27, 2017
Again, because two huge players, Tencent and MS have signaled they are open to buy. That's why all this happening. Once they make their acquisitions, it will cool down.

If you don't see how every thread about a company talking about their business (even when successful) turns into "MS should buy them" then I don't even know how to explain it to you.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm going to go against the grain and wager this could very well be a potential Sony acquisition in the making. Sony's Japanese division is kinda in a rough way and I can see them wanting to revitalize it. I think there's also more synergy between Sega and Sony in general. They're probably also looking at responding to the Bethesda purchase and these newer rumors of Microsoft looking for another acquisition could in fact be a preemptive response to a splash Sony's about to be making. We'll see. If this is another Microsoft buyout though, they absolutely 100% force Sony's hand into an acquisition; Capcom or Square-Enix will be next. Round and round it goes.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada

There's another thread about Sega restructuring:
www.resetera.com

Toshihiro Nagoshi stepping down as Sega CCO; now a Creative Director [up: part of management restructure]

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20210129_jinji_e_final.pdf

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017

Hahaha you know this ain't gonna happen right? People were screaming, no begging for more just a few days after the Zenimax acquisition.

ShaggyLobo

Jan 25, 2021
People vastly overestimate the commercial value of Sega Japan's IP catalogue, as per usual. It's also funny how some people seem to actually thirst for corporate aquisitions?? seems like console warring to me.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
If you don't see how every thread about a company talking about their business (even when successful) turns into "MS should buy them" then I don't even know how to explain it to you.
I ignore it. Not as in literal ignore button, but it doesn't bother me given the situation currently going on with Tencent and MS.

Oct 25, 2017

Why would they starting doing this in response to COVID when there's now a vaccine out now? Wouldn't you expect something eariler?

Come on. This clearly sets them up to be acquired. Some people are in denial.

carlosrso

Oct 27, 2017
Ipatinga, Brazil
Please be independent Sega, consolidation is bad for industry. In the end nobody will be able to play what they want due to it being jailed in one or another platform, will be the SNES vs Genesis generation all over again...

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
ResetEra: leftism, progressivism but most of all, hoping for billion/trillion dollar companies to gobble up everything :)

Z7HeRxU.png

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
And?

Is this thread called "MS in talks to buy Sega"? There is nothing in the OP that even comes close to that.
Yesterday there was a thread with a rumor saying that MS was looking to purchase a big "Bethesda-sized" company. Today there is a thread saying that Sega is splitting their game division and pachinko division. It's natural for the speculation to be that MS might be involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.