• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
A Microsoft acquisition only seems like a good thing to me.
They might sort Sega's bullshit out.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Makes an acquisition very likely IMO, not necessarily MS though, albeit that would make the most sense considering their PC-heavy content.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure it would make sense to divest the games business and keep the pachinko business at the moment. If anything it would make sense to divest/sell off the pachinko business(as they did their Arcade business).

The fundamentals of the games business are strong right now, where as the fundamentals for pachinko are weak.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
MS will def try to get them, however it will be very interesting seeing the Chinese companies bringing out the A game too. Think MS wont win that war, they might have billions on hand but we know that tencent and the like are virtually state backed with limitless access to funds, if need be.

We should hear of a bidding war before any buyout though, fucking everyone wants that blue hedgehog if/when sega is for sale.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
And you think Microsoft would do that?
At the very least, I'd say EVENTUALLY. There has to be someone within Xbox who wants to do something with some of Sega's series. Plus, I'm sort of in the same boat with a lot of other people in that I'd rather Microsoft snatch up companies rather than Amazon or Google doing it.

Dumping all the Saturn and Dreamcast games on gamepass would be a nice start, since it seems SEGA are adverse to releasing anything past the Mega Drive.
That'd be amazing. Plus, I suspect that the Back Compat team(s) could probably emulate Sega's hardware more accurately than Sega ever has. It's not even about familiarity with the old hardware, as Sega is single-handedly responsible for some of the worst emulation of Sega systems in history. I still can't believe they released the Sega Smash Pack "Volume 1" for Dreamcast in the state it was in.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly i'd expect MS (or any other publisher) to treat Sonic better than SEGA JPN lol

The only i.p.s of Sega that MS would be really interested in are the ones that are already fairly active, and Sonic. Microsoft would have interest in Yakuza, Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, Sonic. Maybe bayonetta, but that ones a bit awkward since Nintendo will own 2/3 exclusively, no matter what.

Everything else would get even less attention than it does now.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it would make sense to divest the games business and keep the pachinko business at the moment. If anything it would make sense to divest/sell off the pachinko business(as they did their Arcade business).

The fundamentals of the games business are strong right now, where as the fundamentals for pachinko are weak.
Yeah, but most everyone else seems to want to jerk off about acquisitions instead.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
What happens to the shares owned by current shareholders? What if I were to buy shares now? Would I be buying shares in the pachinko or video games division?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft ain't buying them. That's a good way to kill some of their Japanese ips. They are just doing to quarantine the losses they are having from pachinko/arcade because of covid
Anyone would be better than Sega themselves. Sega of Japan is a mess

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Also, if this means we could finally get PC releases for all the Sega OG Xbox games (JSRF, GunValkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta), then woohoo!

Sargerus

â–² Legend â–²
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Phil going after SEGA just to finally localize Yakuza Ishin.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Bandai can try again - Sega's probably cheaper now than previously

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless SEGA is dying it's dumb to sell one of your IPs, licensing bring money with little to no effort.
MS purchased the Gears of War IP from Epic. The reason Bayonetta isn't currently a Nintendo IP is probably down to Nintendo more than Sega. They'd probably be more than willing to sell. Once Nintendo stops producing sequels, that series is dead.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of surprised Nintendo hasn't purchased the IP by now.
Sega selling an IP like that would just be bad on their end. Especially since the one interested in working with it is Nintendo, it's better to them have it licensed and rake in the benefits.

tho I feel any IP that's doing decently would be bad to sell, since it's just easy money in some cases.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
RE4FlSQ

MD2705014.6.jpg

Xbox-Series-Pulse-Red-Controller-04.jpg

R570b322e4eae70113161cee49dbe47ec

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tencent said they would make an acquisitions in the bullions. So iam expecting a bidding war. And me not playing yakuza and persona ever again.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
MS purchased the Gears of War IP from Epic. The reason Bayonetta isn't currently a Nintendo IP is probably down to Nintendo more than Sega. They'd probably be more than willing to sell. Once Nintendo stops producing sequels, that series is dead.

MS purchased the IP because Epic Games had no interest in continuing the franchise.

SEGA is still getting money from Nintendo in royalities and licensing even if they are not actively making games.

The series can as well be dead, but there's still value in the IP to be used on other formats.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps if you look at every thread about Sega doing something you will see that almost every thread is full of people salivating at the thought MS would buy them.

Heck, not even just Sega. Almost every thread about companies doing something is acquisition talks.
Notice you only hear that for companies that are struggling. We haven't heard anything about capcom have we?

Nov 8, 2017
It doesn't conceptually make sense to me why the Sammy side of the company would sell the Sega side, given that the latter is propping up the former during the covid downturn. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'd be surprised.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Notice you only hear that for companies that are struggling. We haven't heard anything about capcom have we?

Capcom was brought up about a hundred times in that acquisition rumor thread from yesterday. It's there, it's just not restructuring, so it's not quite as strong at the moment.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
There's been endless begging on here for Microsoft to buy various publishers since the Bethesda news, and with Sony to a lesser extent
Because they said they were acquiring more. Hence, the speculation. I don't see them acquiring a Japanese company though. That's my take.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS purchased the IP because Epic Games had no interest in continuing the franchise.

SEGA is still getting money from Nintendo in royalities and licensing even if they are not actively making games.

The series can as well be dead, but there's still value in the IP to be used on other formats.
It's definitely a good decision by Sega atm. I do think that if an acquisition of Sega actually happens though, we might see Nintendo offer to purchase the IP. Or maybe they just end their involvement with Bayonetta 3 and the series goes dormant.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I can't imagine Atlus surviving at Microsoft. They would not have a presence on any relevant platform in Japan.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Any idea why Sega's capital increased post-split? Or am I reading wrong?

I can't imagine Atlus surviving at Microsoft. They would not have a presence on any relevant platform in Japan.
Eh. I can't imagine that actually being a huge problem for Atlus specifically. Persona 5 sold 3-4 million copies. Of those ~500k were in Japan. That's also about the estimate of total sales on Steam for Persona 4 Golden. And MS releases on Steam AND other platforms, including an investment into bringing full console games to mobile. In other words, while they may see a large drop in sales for the first few years, I actually don't see that as a compelling argument against potential MS acquisition personally.

Do I think it's going to happen? Eh. But this isn't the reason why I'd be skeptical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.