• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So far, we know that Mania did over a million before Plus came out (with retail, I'd bet it's at least on 1.3m now). The only numbers we got from Forces is that SEGA is "satisfied with the performance of the game". Some Steam sales leaked one year ago and Forces had sold 30k while Mania was over 160k copies, but maybe on consoles the story was different.
Thanks.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Sega is surely getting some vitality back as of late but it still feels far from its most recent state of form it had, which was during the 128 bits era. While Sega as a whole has strengthened with the acquisition of western studios and indirectly by purchasing Atlus, Sega Japan doesn't have the quality and diversified output it used to. Their recent games are surely appreciated but I wish we'd see more original and imaginative AA games that defined the Sega Identity in the past. A lot of the creative leads have left Sega since the Dreamcast heyday (Yu Suzuki, Yuji Naka, Tesuya Mizuguchi, Noriyashi Ohba, Yukio Futastugi amongst the biggest names) and there's no doubt that the market and production costs have changed since then. In any case, the restructuration efforts started by CEO Haruki Satomi in 2015 start to be visible now, hopefuly they'll keep walking in the right direction!

Chris020

Aug 24, 2019
Those plus Virtual On and all the SEGA Ages games like Thunder Force III & IV, Herzog Zwei, Virtua Racing, etc.

Seems like a great recent output to me, but if most of these "fans" aren't going to buy them, then there's really no reason for SEGA to take on any additional risks, see VC4. I can't wait to read all the complaints when SEGA never releases a mini Saturn or Dreamcast because not nearly enough people bought the Genesis/MD-mini.

Yeah, i didn't even include all the re-released classics, but they are doing a good job with that too. With AGES, but also Sega Forever, the MegaDrive Mini and the MegaDrive Classics collection.

True, most of their output doesn't light the charts on fire, but that doesn't mean everything's a flop either. IP's like Sonic, Total War and Persona are moneymakers, but they are missing a true blockbuster title like Resident Evil, God of War etc.

I don't think Sakura Wars will be that title. Nor would Virtua Fighter 6 be, tbh. Shin Yakuza might, though. And who knows what else the future holds, after they complete the 'Road to 2020'

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
AM2 and AM3 gave Sega an incredible arcade portfolio

I really want them to assign a solid porting pipeline to current consoles and PC to preserve them

chivibowie

Feb 14, 2019
About Mania/Forces, according to Gamestat Sonic Forces has sold a million copies in PS4. Now that Mania has been in PSN Plus, it has multiplied the numbers, but the numbers of Mania were worse than Forces.

Supaidaman

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
While it's nice to see some old franchises coming back, that's certainly the total opposite of becoming "weird" again. SEGA was a company that, besides maybe Sonic, didn't care about franchises and threw just about any kind of concept they could until the Dreamcast era. Few series of the company got past the third game and even Sonic Team didn't want to get stuck doing Sonic games (a big reason why they didn't do one for the Saturn).

For SEGA to be that kind of company, in the current landscape, it's impossible. At least in my opinion. But I'm not going to complain about getting more Yakuzas and the new Sakura Wars being made, that's for sure.

It would certainly be healthy to see more "weird concepts" (maybe some arcade stuff from AM2) together with the sure fire sellers but I'm not holding up hope for that.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The past two years has been a step in the right direction. They need to do more though with so many more of their franchises.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
About Mania/Forces, according to Gamestat Sonic Forces has sold a million copies in PS4. Now that Mania has been in PSN Plus, it has multiplied the numbers, but the numbers of Mania were worse than Forces.
How accurate is that site? The numbers are reasonable for every game and they match with available date, but according to that Team Sonic Racing has 230k players, if that's true then great, I thought it'd done much worse.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
User Banned (1 month): trolling and derailing a thread over a series of posts + long history of infractions for disruptive behaviour
I listed a bunch of things in an attempt to explain why some people care specifically who makes games. I am sorry if that threatens your snarky posts.
I hope you find peace in me disagreeing with you???? lmfao go away

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you find peace in me disagreeing with you???? lmfao go away

You literally asked who cares, I responded that some people do for this and that reason. What do you disagree with? The fact that people care? I hope for your sake you are doing performance art or something.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Give me Phantasy Star V and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing 3 and THEN we are talking.

I also approve of the Virtua Fighter requests.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
You literally asked who cares, I responded that some people do for this and that reason. What do you disagree with? The fact that people care? I hope for your sake you are doing performance art or something.

I disagree with a game's authenticity of being a SEGA product only matters if it has legacy staff that's backing the product — which is what the point of the post I responded with 'who cares' was about. It was a fucking nonsensical comment fortified by a popular fallacy that a lot of enthusiasts like to champion around whenever projects like Monster World, Sonic Mania or SoR 4 exists.

This idea that the same legacy staff can produce a product just as brilliantly as their legacy is such a ridiculous notion when there's no evidence supporting it.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I was a Sega fanboy ever since I got into gaming and I can't even remember the last time I've been excited about a game from them. Admittedly I'm missing out on Yakuza because I only have an Xbox.

Chris020

Aug 24, 2019
I was a Sega fanboy ever since I got into gaming and I can't even remember the last time I've been excited about a game from them. Admittedly I'm missing out on Yakuza because I only have an Xbox.
Not even Sonic Mania? Man, I was so hyped. Still watch the reveal live reaction once in a while. Epic

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
What I loved about Sega: games that pushed the technological envelope and constant new IPs with unique mechanics. A bunch of cheap out-sourced ports, IP resurrections and retro re-releases isn't Sega back to its "weird and wonderful self", it's just coasting on nostalgia by a directionless company (Sega of Europe excepted). They're not attracting new fans, those of us still in the hobby and who can remember when Sega were great is ever dwindling and I can't see how this is sustainable so unless they pull out of the bag a new IP that resonates as well as Yakuza did, the slow decline is going to continue until it becomes terminal.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I love current SEGA. Their output on PC has been phenomenal. Their new game at Gamescom looked really interesting.

Total War, Football Manager, Two Point Hospital. I dig it all.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree with a game's authenticity of being a SEGA product only matters if it has legacy staff that's backing the product — which is what the point of the post I responded with 'who cares' was about. It was a fucking nonsensical comment fortified by a popular fallacy that a lot of enthusiasts like to champion around whenever projects like Monster World, Sonic Mania or SoR 4 exists.

This idea that the same legacy staff can produce a product just as brilliantly as their legacy is such a ridiculous notion when there's no evidence supporting it.
You're crossing arguments here. Wanting to see more out of Sega's sizable internal talent doesn't mean only sequels from "legacy staff" are of value, it just means we'd like to see RGG Studio do something outside the Yakuza assembally line or Sonic Team succeed in general for a change. And your 3 examples are confusing since only one is an actual Sega product (Mania), which gets to the larger point: games like SOR4, Monster Boy, Rez Infinite, Shenmue III, Bayonetta 2, etc aren't Sega games not because of "legacy staff" (actually most of them have some legacy staff involved). They're not Sega games because Sega has almost nothing to do with them. They're just licenses, like Madden, Spider-Man or Goldeneye. You don't credit the original license holder with those games, you credit the companies that actually made the games.

Apr 21, 2018
but I wish we'd see more original and imaginative AA games that defined the Sega Identity in the past.
I agree but during last gen, Sega released over fifty new IPs and many fans didn't care, claiming sega was dead until the comeback of JSR3, VF6 and the usual suspects. Fans are as guilty as Sega.

Sega just tried to responding fans with IPs revivals in 2016.I think it is still necessary for a few years.

Hopefully, Sega didn't stop new IPs. They are just giving more space to the past IPs.

Are Sega World Drivers, Soul Reverse, Humankind, TCA's immersive FPS, RE Fantasy old recycled IPs ? Nope.

Even when Sega decides to push the past, they don't give up fresh blood.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I agree but during last gen, Sega released over fifty new IPs and many fans didn't care, claiming sega was dead until the comeback of JSR3, VF6 and the usual suspects. Fans are as guilty as Sega.

Sega just tried to responding fans with IPs revivals in 2016.I think it is still necessary for a few years.

Hopefully, Sega didn't stop new IPs. They are just giving more space to the past IPs.

Are Sega World Drivers, Soul Reverse, Humankind, TCA's immersive FPS, RE Fantasy old recycled IPs ? Nope.

Even when Sega decides to push the past, they don't give up fresh blood.
It's been brought up before but Sega putting a priority on arcade to console ports again would do so much for their portfolio and standing with longtime fans. We've gotten nothing from the AM side this generation except a f2p Border Break conversion (itself really being a last gen arcade title) and some Miku games.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
As long as SEGA is willing to license its IPs, especially the dormant ones, to passionate developers, it's all good in the hood. Also, the Megadrive Mini (or putting a crapload of Megadrive games with extractable ROMs and freaking mod support on Steam) are indeed SEGA efforts and equally as wonderful.

Also, PSO2 and almost everything RGG Studio makes (Judgment is incredible).

Yes, some of their IPs haven't seen games in a while. But come on people, it hasn't been that long since freaking Daytona HD. That shit was incredible, an impossible dream come true with flawless execution. And Sega Rally Online Arcade / Outrun Online Arcade weren't so long ago either. Or how about the enhanced Outrun 1 ports for 3DS and Switch?

Apr 21, 2018
It's been brought up before but Sega putting a priority on arcade to console ports again would do so much for their portfolio and standing with longtime fans. We've gotten nothing from the AM side this generation except a f2p Border Break conversion (itself really being a last gen arcade title) and some Miku games.
I agree.

Drop the arcade bomb, Satomi !

Chris020

Aug 24, 2019
Don't have enough privileges to open a new threat, so using this one to point out that... 2020 is gonna be a good year for Sega fans.

And 2019 isn't even over yet, we still have Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, Space Channel 5 VR and the switch port of Alien Isolation coming up.

But let's focus on 2020 (in the West):

- Yakuza Like a Dragon
- Project Sakura Wars
- Phantasy Star Online 2
- Yakuza Remastered Collection
- Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
- Two Point Hospital (console ports)
- Hatsune Miku Project Diva for Switch
- Humankind

Pretty sure they will also release console versions of ChuChu Rocket Universe. And it's about time Creative Assembly's new IP releases aswell.

And let's not forget the outsourced projects:

- Streets of Rage 4
- Panzer Dragoon
- House of the Dead

Not bad at all, right?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Don't have enough privileges to open a new threat, so using this one to point out that... 2020 is gonna be good year for Sega fans.

And 2019 isn't even over yet, we still have Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, Space Channel 5 VR and the switch port of Alien Isolation coming up.

But let's focus on 2020 (in the West):

- Yakuza Like a Dragon
- Project Sakura Wars
- Phantasy Star Online 2
- Yakuza Remastered Collection
- Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
- Two Point Hospital (console ports)
- Hatsune Miku Project Diva for Switch
- Humankind

Pretty sure they will also release console versions of ChuChu Rocket Universe. And it's about time Creative Assembly's new IP releases aswell.

And let's not forget the outsourced projects:

- Streets of Rage 4
- Panzer Dragoon
- House of the Dead

Not bad at all, right?
We will probably get Yakuza Ishin localisation as well.

Oct 24, 2019
SEGA is a worthless company to me until they make an Alien sequel. It's the only thing they could do that matters

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bring back Jet Set Radio, the 90s/00s nostalgia is right there. Capitalize on it!
Each time Sega announces something that is not old franchises revival or does not come out of Japan:
"booo Sega sucks, what an out of touch company, stop milking Sonic and gives us the goods again"

Each time Sega announces a couple of things people want:
"Wow, Sega is becoming good again"

Every. Single. Time.
Well they have a lot of beloved franchises people want to return. It's not their fault that Sega ran itself into the ground and was unable to work on any of the titles that weren't a surefire way to sell copies for a really long time.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
No they're not. Most of the interesting indie projects (Panzer Dragoon, Rez Infinite, The Dragon's Trap, Monster Boy, SOR4, Shenmue III, SC5VR, etc) are just licensed from Sega and produced entirely by other publishers. It's sort of like trying to credit Sega with Bayonetta 2-3 getting made.

Sega gets credit for Sonic Mania, Sega Ages and the MD mini and that's about it here.
Pretty much this.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This is me hoping it would but the biggest reason I think it might be on the way is that they localized everything they can and there is only Kenzan, Ishin and thr PSP games to localize.
Well, there's also whatever is coming after RGG7, I can see them looking forwards to future games first. Like I said, we'll see but I certainly don't see it likely that we'll see an Ishin announcement next year, but that's just me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Chromehounds 2 you cowards!
Might want to go ask Fromsoft if you want a sequel to that one ;)

Wait there is something announced after 7???

I must have missed this. Hopefully a brawler!
Not yet, but Yakuza sequels usually get announced around about TGS every year, so by that I just assumed that whatever comes next (unless 7 destroys the series so bad the entire series is cancelled completely) we'll probably hear about a new game sometime next year, even if its not coming out in 2020 like we've done for every Yakuza game for the last 10 or so years.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
These are all the known upcoming Sega western bound (and likely western bound) console projects by production division:

SEGA AM1
  • none
SEGA AM2
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva MegaMix (NSW)
SEGA CS1 (Ryu ga Gotoku Studio)
  • Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD (NSW/PS4/XBO)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PS4)
  • Yakuza Remastered Collection (PS4)
SEGA CS2 (Sonic Team)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (NSW)
  • Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Videogame (NSW/PS4)
  • Project Sakura Wars (PS4)
  • Sega Ages Fantasy Zone (NSW) developed by M2
  • Sega Ages G-LOC: Air Battle (NSW) developed by M2
  • Sega Ages Herzog Zwei (NSW) developed by M2
  • Sega Ages Puyo Puyo 2 (NSW) developed by M2
  • Sega Ages Shinobi (NSW) developed by M2
  • Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (NSW) developed by M2
  • Sega Ages Thunder Force AC (NSW) developed by M2
SEGA Online R&D
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 (XBO, TBA)
SEGA West
  • Alien: Isolation (NSW) developed by Feral Interactive
  • Football Manager 2020 (NSW/GSD) developed by Sports Interactive
  • Two Point Hospital (NSW/PS4/XBO) developed by Two Point Studios
Atlus
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (PS4) developed by Vanillaware
  • Etrian Odyssey "next stage" (TBA)
  • Persona 5: The Royal (PS4)
  • Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers (NSW/PS4) developed by Omega Force
  • Project Re Fantasy (TBA)
  • Shin Megami Tensei V (NSW)
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (NSW) published by Nintendo
And these are purely licensed projects using Sega IP (no notable Sega production or development involved):
  • Bayonetta 3 (NSW) Nintendo, Platinum Games
  • Panzer Dragoon (NSW, PS4, XBO) Forever Entertainment, MegaPixel Studio
  • Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (NSW, PS4, XBO) Forever Entertainment, MegaPixel Studio
  • The House of the Dead (NSW, TBA) Forever Entertainment, MegaPixel Studio
  • The House of the Dead 2 (NSW, TBA) Forever Entertainment, MegaPixel Studio
  • Shenmue III (PS4) Deep Silver, Ys Net, Neilo
  • Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! (PS4) Grounding Inc, Land Ho!
  • Streets of Rage 4 (NSW/PS4/XBO) Dotemu, Lizardcube, Guard Crush Games