• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds good enough for me. I also bought the official six button controller on amazon so i mines well commit anyway.
Probably only going to play it for like 30mins to 1hr and never touch it again, but it's like getting a genesis for the first time all over again...but smaller!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good enough for me. I also bought the official six button controller on amazon so i mines well commit anyway.
Probably only going to play it for like 30mins to 1hr and never touch it again, but it's like getting a genesis for the first time all over again...but smaller!
Yeah, I bought 2 6-button USB retro-bit controllers already too (even though I already had an 8-button retro-bit which is supposed to work too). I'm still curious if there's a quality difference between the retro-bit controllers and the 6-button controllers that come with the Japanese version. It's kinda making me want to import a Japanese version just to see.

Nov 23, 2017
It hasn't yet, I'm just hopeful it doesn't, as threads about "Mini/Classic" consoles often get derailed in that manner.

The difference is those people/myself own all those games legally through steam and other pc releases that give you the rights to the rom. I doubt people owned dq5 rom translation or terranigma legally that they were putting on snes classic. I mean besides a few hardcore people who dumped carts

Your post kind of comes off as "how dare you talk about something I don't want to" and bitch eating crackers mode stuff

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
what is your favorite beat em up or shmup on the SNES classic?
I don't like beat em up or shmup games. I never have. I don't think I've added even one to my hacked unit.
If I had to play a beat em up it would be Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and if it had to be a console beat em up it would be SoR2 on Megadrive. And always on coop, they bore me to death solo.
There's no way I would play a shmup at all. Not even in coop.

My Megadrive was mostly used for Sonic and Disney games. And Light Crusader. That too.

I'm sure you'll end up using it a lot. I've beaten a lot of game on my hackes SNES and PSX Mini and I'm sure I'll do the same with this one.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I don't like beat em up or shmup games. I never have. I don't think I've added even one to my hacked unit.
If I had to play a beat em up it would be Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and if it had to be a console beat em up it would be SoR2 on Megadrive. And always on coop, they bore me to death solo.
There's no way I would play a shmup at all. Not even in coop.

My Megadrive was mostly used for Sonic and Disney games. And Light Crusader. That too

the point i'm making is that the SNES Classic's standard lineup doesn't have nearly as much in terms of variety as the Genesis/MD Mini.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, that's for sure. MD Mini has a more varied and bigger selection. I just like SNES games overall better.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Oh, that's for sure. MD Mini has a more varied and bigger selection. I just like SNES games overall better.

i totally get the preference. it's just a frustrating (and common) sentiment that the SNES was a clear "winner" of the generation when all three of the "big" consoles (Genesis/MD, TG16/PCE, SNES/SFC) all had such unique libraries with their own special qualities that differentiated them from one another.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully the Asian version will be available for a while. Had an unexpected car repair so decided to cancel my preorder. Want the version with MUSHA, alien soldier, and both Shining force games. Plus it comes with 6 button pads (though removes every fighting game for some reason).

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Yeah this is my biggest issue. I'm reading every review to see who else has noticed it, but so far it only seems like one reviewer has mentioned it.

I guess I'll hold my pre-order and just not open it up in case I need to return it later. I simply will not play this if the double input bug is true. It will ruin the entire experience for me.

The My Life in Gaming channel mentioned the double input issue WRT the menu only in their preview video. I linked to the timestamp where they mention it.

They didn't notice it in game, but I guess it's possible they could have missed it. It's also possible the Rarez guy has a defective unit or something.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got the US, JPN, and Asia versions ordered, and I also have the Megadrive Tower of Power preordered as well.

Can't wait
Whoa, now I know I'm doing something right since I pre-ordered the same lineup as the master. HEAVILY considered that mini cartridge set / case with my ToP though...

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
The My Life in Gaming channel mentioned the double input issue WRT the menu only in their preview video. I linked to the timestamp where they mention it.

They didn't notice it in game, but I guess it's possible they could have missed it. It's also possible the Rarez guy has a defective unit or something.

I didn't encounter double-input issues during game testing. I absolutely noticed it in the menu system.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Good to read Sega nailed it. I was already confident it'd be a good device since M2 was on board, so I pre-ordered the Asian Mini as soon as I knew the games lineup. I hope it'll do well for Sega and that it will eventually lead to a Mega CD Mini, Saturn Mini, Dreamcast Mini and/or Arcade Mini!

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Genesis has more good RPGs (Phantasy Star II & IV, Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force I & II, Langrisser, Hybrid Front, Shadowrun...) than SNES has good horizontal shmups (UN Squadron, R-Type 3, Axelay... R-Type 3?? Thunder Spirits???)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Unfortunately, I did notice some weird emulation glitches, particularly in Sonic. If you capture a chaos emerald in one of the bonus levels, for example, it blinks in and out of existence on the score screen. The checkerboard pattern on Dr. Robotnik's wrecking ball in the first boss fight also flickers in and out of existence, rendering the ball shiny and brown rather than checkered.

Oh my god, IGN.

Oh my god.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Oh my god, IGN.

Oh my god.
The kind of thing that makes you wonder if the reviewer is even 20 years old.

Is this just the game hitting the sprite limit?
You know that thing that old games do where your character sprite just flickers on/off every frame after you get hit and are temporarily invincible?

Dude thinks it's a visual glitch. Unless there really is something different about this implementation of it, but it doesn't sound like it.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I want this, I really do, but it would be fucking useless to me.

I have basically 90% of the games in there, physically, along with a Mega SG, yet I have all those fucking mini consoles so not buying this one would feel wrong... D:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'll certainly grab one at some point but I'm in no hurry to buy it right away.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, double input is making me a bit worried. I already have a drifting 3DS D-pad that does the same thing (and I have no idea how to fix), so i'd really not want one for a brand new system, especially in-game...

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this just the game hitting the sprite limit?

The sprite limit doesn't manifest this way on the Sega Genesis. When the sprite limit is reached, all sprites to the right don't draw

if you'd like to see a really simple and neat way the sprite limit IS manipulated in Sonic 1, check out the title screen:

np_cIO.gif

If you look at this image, and are familiar with the genesis hardware, you might notice that there are too many layers being displayed at once, this technically should not be possible. The background is all one layer, the emblem is one layer, Sonic himself is made up of many sprites, but it looks like the banner that says "Sonic" is yet a third layer, one that the genesis does not have. How does Sonic appear to slide between the emblem and banner?

If you played emulators back in the 90's, you might have been familiar with this bug:

0076hqe.gif

This gives a clue into how it's all done. You see that the Sonic sprite is actually in front of the emblem and banner layer, which is just a single layer, there is more to Sonic's sprite that you see. The trick is that they are abusing the sprite limit, which is a horizontal limit per scanline. It works like so:

nKTbSa5.png

By placing sprites just off screen to the left of the banner, you can reach the sprite limit which causes the individual lines of Sonic's sprite to not draw for that entire horizontal band. This gives the illusion that he's sliding between layers. This is, effectively, a 2D mask for the title screen.

The flashing described in the IGN review isn't the sprite limit, nor is it a bug. It's a special effect, where a flag is set every vblank to alternate between these sprites being visible and not visible. This causes the sprite to flicker at 60 hz. It's an old school trick to simulate 50-50 blending to produce new half-shades. IGN's comment on accuracy is way off.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Aw man...

Are there any other reports of the double input problem?
Wow, so that double input bug actually made it to release? They knew about it months ago, that shit is unacceptable....
So is the double input issue a real thing? I've only seen one person mention it (Rerez?). If this is noted by other people I'll cancel and save myself $80

EDIT: And if it is a real thing how did so many other reviewers miss this? It seems like it would be something that is very noticeable.
The "double inputs" sounds like a serious issue. It's really odd that only one reviewer has talked about it.
Just cancelled my pre-order. That double input issue scares me. I don't need to have it immediately.
None of the other reviews mentioned the issue even the more technical ones. And the one that does has a spotty track record
I'll be waiting on an in-depth review by Digital Foundry before taking the plunge completely, I trust John completely with matters regarding retro accuracy. I have the 32X/CD display box pre-ordered since that was super hard to get hold of but the mentions of delayed audio and double inputs are concerning.

I didn't encounter double-input issues during game testing. I absolutely noticed it in the menu system.
Yeah, double input is making me a bit worried. I already have a drifting 3DS D-pad that does the same thing (and I have no idea how to fix), so i'd really not want one for a brand new system, especially in-game...
According to the comments in the Rerez video, it's supposedly a power supply issue. Apparently, switching from the included 5 volt adapter to a 2 amp adapter fixes the issue.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Can't wait for next week. I grew up playing snes (which is my favorite console of all time) but also played a fair bit of genesis. Still i am excited for this.

8bit still hasn't said anything about support for the m30?
I heard the retroflag 6 buttons controller is not that good

Edit: got confused with retro bit controller

Last edited:

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
So is the double input issue a real thing? I've only seen one person mention it (Rerez?). If this is noted by other people I'll cancel and save myself $80

EDIT: And if it is a real thing how did so many other reviewers miss this? It seems like it would be something that is very noticeable.

Yeah like wtf.. Is this just his unit problem?