• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
After reading the USgamer review, I have to agree it's weird that there are no sports titles on this thing even though the genesis was known for them! Such a shame that licensing probably got in the way.
It would be crazy hard to get the licenses going again. In the case of some of the Madden titles, you'd need to get 1) EA, 2) NFL (luckily EA has a deal in place), 3) NFLPA (they are taking a harder line to make sure Legends players get paid).

It would probably be so cost prohibitive.

They could go in an remove player names, but then you'd need the original files, and who knows if EA even has those...

It's truly a bummer - and anyone that works with sports leagues, knows how difficult they can be.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina

Just for future reference. If you want to refer to a hard drive, use HDD for hard drive disk. Use SSD for solid state drive. Since HDDs are slowly being replaced by SSDs in many applications, using hard drive or HDD has fallen out of fashion when talking about storage space since it's not applicable many times, especially in smaller devices where you're talking about neither and just getting into flash memory (which is a lower quality version of what is used in SSDs).

If you want to know how much storage something has, just use the word storage as it's a catchall and you don't have to get some smart ass answer out of some dude on a forum who damn well knew what you meant.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
Any notes on PAL differences yet? It's put me off buying some of these minis if the refresh rate is locked at 50Hz.

Oct 25, 2017
the ocean
I am in the same boat. For the NES and SNES I lined up early (NES) and made sure to get a preorder (SNES). But after seeing how abysmal the PS classic was and the way the price dropped so drastically I'm really contemplating holding off on this purchase. I really want one, but the next couple months are already stacked with games and if this thing is going to be in stock later for a cheaper price I'd rather hold off for a deal. After all, these games were released over 20 years ago, what's the harm in waiting another couples of months to pick up the collection.

My gut feeling is that it won't be as popular as the Nintendo consoles. The thirst was real for those, and people were complaining nonstop about not being able to get one since they kept selling out. Who knows though, maybe they will take off like the Popeye's Chicken sandwich. I have no money to spare for one atm anyway.

B1ggRandall

Oct 27, 2017
Everything looks amazing but I'm going to cancel my preorder! I will pick it up later though.I gotta stop spending money on everything lol

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm super interested/tempted to get this, but I have a SNES and PS Classic that I hardly ever play, and I own all my favourites from this on the Mega Drive anyway.

Still, glad to hear it's really good, after years of crappy Mega Drive plug and plays.

Oct 28, 2017
Wish I could get the entire library digitally for the same price. Looks like I'll have to bite though. The Genesis is still one of my top 2 favorite consoles of all time.

Same for me. It's near the top of my all time list.

Unfortunately, what made it great for me is not what I'm getting in the box.

This was our go-to party console in the college dorm in the early to mid 1990s

Many long nights spent playing NBA Jam, Madden 95, NHL 94, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter II SCE with all the people that lived on my hall. It was THE ultimate multiplayer console.

As mentioned in the Kotaku review though, due to the licensing issues, all those games that helped it become a serious challenger to Nintendo, are not going to be found here.

silver1289s

Mar 8, 2018
Finished paying off my pre-order Tuesday. I'm more excited for this than any other September release. The Genesis was the first console I played. It was passed down from my parents in the late '90's. I wasn't around for it's heyday, so it's really cool to be able to buy a "new" Genesis and play a lot of the games I grew up with

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the US, JPN, and Asia versions ordered, and I also have the Megadrive Tower of Power preordered as well.

Can't wait

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
As mentioned in the Kotaku review though, due to the licensing issues, all those games that helped it become a serious challenger to Nintendo, are not going to be found here.

Yeah, all the sports games missing is a bit of a bummer. Would have been great to at least get Mutant League Hockey or something unlicensed to get gameplay representative of that era of EA Sports titles.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
So is there any reason to not just buy the Japanese version that comes with the 6 button controller? (Aside from potential importing costs/surcharges)
They include different games.

Specifically, on any version of this device, you can change the region for the games included in that particular console, but the three different versions of the console include a different subset of games.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
If you change the region, Mean Bean disappears and it gets replaced with Puyo Puyo 2.

why does it not get replaced w/ puyo puyo 1. that is the question i'm asking

Many long nights spent playing NBA Jam, Madden 95, NHL 94, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter II SCE with all the people that lived on my hall. It was THE ultimate multiplayer console.

I guess it's different strokes for different folks because the Japanese action games are pretty much what defined the system for me-- not Acclaim ports of Midway arcade games or sports titles.

B1ggRandall

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super interested/tempted to get this, but I have a SNES and PS Classic that I hardly ever play, and I own all my favourites from this on the Mega Drive anyway.

Still, glad to hear it's really good, after years of crappy Mega Drive plug and plays.
This is another the reason I cancel my preorder! My SNES classic is just sitting here. I love it tho. I'm going to pick this up a lil later.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Ah yes! How can I forget that. You must be a similar age to me. Remember even my non hockey friends crowding around to take me on in NHL 94. Was such an awesome time for gaming.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's different strokes for different folks because the Japanese action games are pretty much what defined the system for me-- not Acclaim ports of Midway arcade games or sports titles.
Japanese action games were my most played type of game on the system, too, but I also spent a lot of multiplayer time with more mainstream gaming friends playing stuff like EA Sports and Mortal Kombat. It was just a great system for everyone because of the variety. It had games for the hardcore crowd and what people call "dudebro" games today. It was also the best place for Euro-style games if you didn't have the money for an Amiga. Many of my defining Genesis games (Mystic Defender, NHL Hockey, Flashback, etc.) aren't even on the mini but the line up is still incredible.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Japanese action games were my most played type of game on the system, too, but I also spent a lot of multiplayer time with more mainstream gaming friends playing stuff like EA Sports and Mortal Kombat. It was just a great system for everyone because of the variety. It had games for the hardcore crowd and what people call "dudebro" games today. It was also the best place for Euro-style games if you didn't have the money for an Amiga. Many of my defining Genesis games (Mystic Defender, NHL Hockey, Flashback, etc.) aren't even on the mini but the line up is still incredible.

Yeah, most of my friends were really into NHL Hockey on it esp. I never really got into sports games though.

Played the shit out of Mortal Kombat tho :P

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
People keep expressing interest in hacking this thing to add more games onto it but tbh I'm more interested in the reverse.

I want to see specifically what, if anything, they did to tinker with the games on the device itself, and perhaps port these versions of the games to other devices. Not just for new conversions like Darius but for everything else too.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ars Technica's review: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...s-does-what-ninten-did-and-thats-good-enough/

The Sega Genesis Mini arrives this month and nails the basics we've wanted from so many other nostalgia boxes in the past few years. Eighty dollars gets you a diverse selection of 42 built-in games from the '90s, with a mix of obvious hits, cult classics, and weird outliers. That's all rounded out by two nicely molded controllers and an HDMI-connected system that delivers wholly competent emulation on both the sound and visual fronts. I can nitpick this thing plenty (keep scrolling), but as a straightforward holiday or gift list item, this is a pretty easy recommendation. It's exactly the value-packed '90s package that Sega needed to stand toe to toe with Nintendo's SNES Classic.

So, yeah, we liked it. But I'm surprised to see more people not point out one fatal flaw with the three-button controller default + a system menu issue....

With a three-button controller, SF2 asks Genesis players to hold down the start button to flip the three buttons from punches to kicks (and thus disables pausing mid-match). Fair enough. It's an awkward way to claw your fingers, but it's still doable if your '90s parents wouldn't pony up for the new gamepads.

The problem in 2019, however, is that the SGM includes a "reset menu" shortcut, toggled by holding the start button for five seconds.

Imagine playing SF2 as Guile. You're eager to prep a tide-turning Flash Kick, holding down the start button as you descend from one jump to have your attack charged and ready to rock as soon as your foe enters a vulnerability frame. And then... bzzzzt. The SGM's menu sound effect blares, the game freezes, and you've paused the whole thing. SGM does not let users disable this "five-second-hold" option for accessing the menu system (which can also be toggled at any time with a tap of the hardware's physical reset button).

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Mean Bean gets replaced by Puyo Puyo 1, just to clarify

You can see it in the video in this IGN article. The box art for Mean Bean Machine is replaced by Puyo 1's

220px-PuyoPuyoArt.jpg

This is what Puyo 2's looks like

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017