• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a bummer hearing about the sound delay issue. Everything else would've been a moot point since I was never a fan of CRT filters and the like, but audio delay is the reason I had all the games on the NES Mini run on Retroarch instead of the default emulator.

But from I'm gathering in this thread, there is simply no emulator out there that runs Genesis games any better?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
But from I'm gathering in this thread, there is simply no emulator out there that runs Genesis games any better?

Sound on genesis is an incredibly tricky thing to emulate properly. Even with the Mega SG, for example, to get the "ideal" genesis sound requires some tinkering with audio options, and even then it probably won't be 100% for hard-to-satisfy purists.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Never stopped the likes of EGM or Gamepro back in the '90s. If it's a done box (and it seems to be) then these may as well be labeled as reviews.

It was done like that before because magazines were made up to 2-3 months before you had it in your hands.

They can't do the reviews because they don't have permission to do reviews yet.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a really solid package as expected. I'm still a bit sad that Ristar and Sonic 3&K didn't make the cut but the selection is pretty expansive that it's hard to complain. Really dislike that they included the horrendous stretch to fit widescreen option. These games should never be played that way. I will get this, i have fond memories of this system.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Sound on genesis is an incredibly tricky thing to emulate properly. Even with the Mega SG, for example, to get the "ideal" genesis sound requires some tinkering with audio options, and even then it probably won't be 100% for hard-to-satisfy purists.
And from what I remember coming out of videos at the time, different models of MD/Genesis had different audio hardware, and depending on the settings the Mega SG can be made to sound more like one or the other, but still not perfect. And for any other emulator/box it might not match your memory depending on what model you are most used to.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Seen that posted a few times. The Mega SG only handles cartridges?

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
This seems like a really solid package as expected. I'm still a bit sad that Ristar and Sonic 3&K didn't make the cut but the selection is pretty expansive that it's hard to complain. Really dislike that they included the horrendous stretch to fit widescreen option. These games should never be played that way. I will get this, i have fond memories of this system.
The my life in gaming video actually mentioned using the stretch mode fixes the uneven pixel sizing in the 256 pixel wide games that are on here. But then you got to use your TV's aspect ratio to squish 16/19 back to 4/3.

Deleted member 5956

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bummer hearing about the sound delay issue. Everything else would've been a moot point since I was never a fan of CRT filters and the like, but audio delay is the reason I had all the games on the NES Mini run on Retroarch instead of the default emulator.

genesis plus gx has the option of using the cycle accurate nuked ym2612 audio at the cost of higher cpu requirements, with the correct low pass settings it is incredibly accurate.

audio delay can also be a non issue depending on your audio drivers, i have it set to a single frame which is an imperceptible delay.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The my life in gaming video actually mentioned using the stretch mode fixes the uneven pixel sizing in the 256 pixel wide games that are on here. But then you got to use your TV's aspect ratio to squish 16/19 back to 4/3.

It fixes it on the horizontal.

However it screws up the vertical because it non-integer scales the 224p into 720p to create 'full screen' which is a 3.2143 scale, whereas the normal presentation is 3x scale to 672p (with black bars to bring it to 720p). And don't get me going about adding a 1.5x scale if you have a 1080p set...if you think the scanlines are goofy now, try that. 224 pretty rows of original pixels times 3.2143 times 1.5...

Also it's doing something even weirder/uglier than usual when scaling to full screen height, watch the whole video.

All of this was avoidable.

Just hire a retrogaming hobbyist as a consultant. Everyone dealing with emulators, FPGA consoles, OSSC/Framemeister on modern displays, they know this stuff.

Last edited:

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
It fixes it on the horizontal.

However it screws up the vertical because it non-integer scales the 224p into 720p to create 'full screen' which is a 3.2143 scale, whereas the normal presentation is 3x scale to 672p (with black bars to bring it to 720p). And don't get me going about adding a 1.5x scale if you have a 1080p set...if you think the scanlines are goofy now, try that. 224 pretty rows of original pixels times 3.2143 times 1.5...

Also it's doing something even weirder/uglier than usual when scaling to full screen height, watch the whole video.

All of this was avoidable.

Just hire a retrogaming hobbyist as a consultant. Everyone dealing with emulators, FPGA consoles, OSSC/Framemeister on modern displays, they know this stuff.
Damn! That doesn't sound pretty.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I was definitely a snes guy growing up but this thing looks fucking sick. I just watched dreamcast guys video and saw some real bangers for games on it. I jail broke NES classic and love it. I like the snes classic but it was missing some biggies. Mini genesis is a buy for me

Deleted member 3894

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda disappointed after watching MLiG video tbh, didn't expect this output from M2. Sound issues are pretty bad, and that CRT filter ew. Yeah, it's still way better than previous things but...maybe they are taking too much work.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda disappointed after watching MLiG video tbh, didn't expect this output from M2. Sound issues are pretty bad, and that CRT filter ew. Yeah, it's still way better than previous things but...maybe they are taking too much work.

Wait for the Genesis Mini 2, it will have all of that fixed.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Scanline filters have been M2's weakness forever, they've never had a good one nor do they seem that interested in iterating on what they've got.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Personal note:

If a video has a person pulling a 'goofy' face as the thumbnail, I block the channel.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh neat!

I've been wondering if the retrobit Saturn controllers would work and unless I missed it somehow, didn't notice anyone bringing it up in their previews (Mr. Redifer in the Game Sack video mentioned a USB Saturn controller didn't work, that didn't look like the newer retrobit ones).

Just saw in this GameXplain video that they do! (embedded video is time-coded)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ugh so conflicted, I want this but I have a bunch of other games coming out at the same time too I want... well doesn't seem like this will be rare I can always wait a few weeks to whittle things down and for the hacking to happen I guess

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Personal note:

If a video has a person pulling a 'goofy' face as the thumbnail, I block the channel.
or places "erotic" artwork of some anime or game character that has nothing to do with the subject of the video, in my case.

If you can't stand by your work without employing the lowest common denominator to generate clicks then you can just fuck off.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Here's a heads up based on something mentioned in the Gamexplain video: if you use a 6-button controller and/or Retro-bit controller, you can use the mode button to jump to the menu rather than holding the start button.

Is this the "official" 6-button version of the controller for this?

Retro-Bit Official Sega Genesis USB Controller 8-Button Arcade Pad for Sega Genesis Mini, Nintendo Switch, PC, Mac, Steam, RetroPie, Raspberry Pi - USB Port - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P37ZGTF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bsovDb8H5P48J

Last edited:

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
controllers tend to be pretty universal and don't necessarily care what region machine they're used on

there's no reason to not expect the same here, if it's advertised as working on the MEGA DRIVE mini then it should automatically work on the GENESIS mini too

EDIT: ah, you changed the link... that particular model was in production before the mini was announced but after release Retrobit seemingly guaranteed they will work on the mini (maybe not the extra shoulder buttons, though ). We know from a video hosted just above your post that the USB Saturn controllers work and they came out together with the Genesis version USB controllers.
EDIT: strike that, the video confirms that the shoulder buttons might have misc. uses for menu stuff, seems like M2 thought ahead

Last edited:

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
or places "erotic" artwork of some anime or game character that has nothing to do with the subject of the video, in my case.

If you can't stand by your work without employing the lowest common denominator to generate clicks then you can just fuck off.
Yep.

And youtube's 'I don't like this channel' thing now works, so they never come up in recommendations ever again. Now the only time I'm now subjected to middle aged men making Dreamworks faces is via direct links (like this thread).

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Is this the "official" 6-button version of the controller for this?

Retro-Bit Official Sega Genesis USB Controller 8-Button Arcade Pad for Sega Genesis Mini, Nintendo Switch, PC, Mac, Steam, RetroPie, Raspberry Pi - USB Port - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P37ZGTF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bsovDb8H5P48J

Yes, and they're also putting one out that actually has 6 buttons, without the extras of that controller. Their Saturn 6/8-button USB controllers should also work, and then there's the 6-button controllers that come with the Japanese/Asian Minis as well.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
11 frames of sound lag would be a no buy from me. I have a framemiester and mega drive already, but it would have been great to have a hdmi megadrive.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
[
Damn! That doesn't sound pretty.

Nobody needs to buy this other than the *giggle I'm just happy to play these games on my flatscreen* crowd.

It's a really shitty implementation that needs to be fixed. And could have easily been implemented differently.

Dammit, M2, I thought you were better than this. The SNES Mini got the scaling right. Jesus, think about the PC Engine Mini where most games run 256px horizontal resolution.

QUOTE="MysteryM, post: 23611154, member: 20131"]
11 frames of sound lag would be a no buy from me. I have a framemiester and mega drive already, but it would have been great to have a hdmi megadrive.
[/QUOTE]

Nobody cares. It's just a shitty emulation box, kinda better than ATGames haven't you heard?

the androgyne

Oct 30, 2017
The PCE Mini has more display options so i'm guessing for whatever reason, it was Sega that decided on just the 2 here.
Only 4 games on the US version run in 256 so maybe they just didn't think it was worth it. Anyone know which of the games on other region Minis are in 256?

Hopefully the PCE Mini fixes the scrolling on the 4:3 modes, but at least it has pixel perfect.

qC0iFSal.png

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The PCE Mini has more display options so i'm guessing for whatever reason, it was Sega that decided on just the 2 here.
Only 4 games on the US version run in 256 so maybe they just didn't think it was worth it. Anyone know which of the games on other region Minis are in 256?

Hopefully the PCE Mini fixes the scrolling on the 4:3 modes, but at least it has pixel perfect.

Alternately, commercial emulators are likely to let you down.

Wii VC was mostly awesome but that was in the CRT era.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Dammit, M2, I thought you were better than this. The SNES Mini got the scaling right. Jesus, think about the PC Engine Mini where most games run 256px horizontal resolution.
What's so weird is that both this and the PCE Mini are both clearly aping the NES/SNES Mini UI, features and aesthetic as a whole, with some minor tweaks.

Why didn't they also steal the SNES Mini's quality horizontal interpolation?

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I'll probably pick this up as I love Sega, but I've already got two original Model 1 HD Graphics Megadrives running 112-in-1 cartridges. Most of the games on the mini I already have on these.

Darius is worth the purchase for me anyway. :)

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I dont care about all these naysayers, I dont think I'll notice any of thee nitpicky issues. I just preordered from Amazon. They dont charge til ship anyway.

I was surprised how good the SNES mini actually was. Got a good couple hours (which was 2 hours more than I expected) playtime out of it on Christmas, and with the scanline filter it looked like CRT not horrible jaggies. Also when my nephew was recently visiting from out of state they busted it out again, nice compliment to his Switch. It was supposed to be a family present so I didn't keep it or get one for myself, and I'm regretting that a little.

I dunno since I have a pi setup I can play any of these free anytime I want, but then again Pi is such a general pain in the ass. I can never talk enough shit about Pi.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Was the NES Classic audio lag worse than this or the same?

Cause I noticed that pretty easily, might end up skipping this maybe and eventually going with an Mega SG.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Having watched all of the aforementioned videos, I'm definitely still on board. (I pre-ordered back when the pre-orders went live.) The audio delay is pretty much in line with what we've gotten with other similar mini consoles, and the games I'm most interested in playing sound quite good from what I can tell from the game play footage in these videos. I love the three-button Genesis controller, though I'm considering picking up the six-button Genesis controllers and the Saturn controllers for use with this, as I do think it'll be preferable having quick access to the system menu.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to the examples in the video about the sound issues and literally couldn't tell the difference lol I think I'll be fine.