• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

It's called the

• Genesis

Votes: 348 46.5%
  • Mega Drive

Votes: 401 53.5%

• Total voters

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
So the one I posted that is out in two weeks is no good? It seems to have a home button so thought it would get around the button combo to get back to the menu.
That one's not out yet so it might not have the same problems as the wired versions. Hopefully they sent some out for review so people can test them early.

shallone

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Allot to say about new experiences with retrobit controllers.

1. I have recieved the saturn usb controller wired. This one is actually the best one to use with this system. It feels completely lag free and the problems I was having with games like ghouls n ghosts are gone in that diagonals are registering correctly. L button brings up menu when playing. You can do the full level select in sonic 1 for what its worth with this.

2. I also got the original 8 button megadrive controller wired . This one has all of the above but it sill has with-held the A and Start combo. That said it feels completely lagless compared to the 6 button version and will also work on steam etc. Obviously for this one mode button placed under start brings up the menu.

Note for both holding start for 5 seconds will switch them to x input and they will be disabled but there is no need to do this anyway.

My advice is stick to the earlier models or get the saturn one.

dorikyasu

Oct 27, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Allot to say about new experiences with retrobit controllers.

1. I have recieved the saturn usb controller wired. This one is actually the best one to use with this system. It feels completely lag free and the problems I was having with games like ghouls n ghosts are gone in that diagonals are registering correctly. L button brings up menu when playing. You can do the full level select in sonic 1 for what its worth with this.

2. I also got the original 8 button megadrive controller wired . This one has all of the above but it sill has with-held the A and Start combo. That said it feels completely lagless compared to the 6 button version and will also work on steam etc. Obviously for this one mode button placed under start brings up the menu.

Note for both holding start for 5 seconds will switch them to x input and they will be disabled but there is no need to do this anyway.

My advice is stick to the earlier models or get the saturn one.
Thank you for this. I was debating which 6 button pad to get for mini and this definitely helps.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I was literally going to put my first 2 eight-button USB pads on eBay tonight.

If you'd rather have pads for the Mini that can input things like A+Start button combos properly (at the expense of having no Switch compatibility) for cheap, let me know.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Anyone know if the mode button is supported on anything? Can't seem to really find a controller that uses it.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
A little late to this thread. I am on the fence to buy the mega drive mini but I have some questions. Before that I just want to describe myself so that you all get some understanding of my point of view.

My first console was a NES and it is for the moment the console I use the most. At the moment I have a lot to do at work and at home so the simplicity of the hardware (few buttons, 2D, power directly to a game) is very appealing. Any system with a slow starting interface or games that requires me to invest a long time goes away.

I have never owned a Sega product and when I grow up exactly one person I know owned a mega drive. He had altered beast which I thought was good looking but otherwise not the most fun game.

So the the reason why I am interested in the mega drive mini is:
1, it seems to come from the same era as the NES with games that is friendly for quick game seasons. Is this correct? I know that the mega drive is a later console generation than NES, but how are the games in terms of scope?
2, seems to be a nice simple controller just as the NES. How good is the controllers that comes with the package? Is it easy to use for a PC?
3, The only game I have played a version of is Tetris, so compared to buy used NES games it is a lot of value for the money.

So overall would you recommend the mega drive mini for someone that has no nostalgia for sega products and that just want to have a system with short startup times and shorter games as he doesn't feel that he have the energy to invest in modern games.

Thanks in advance, any input would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: forgot to say that I like platform games, but I did not enjoy the DS sonic games.

Last edited:

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
A little late to this thread. I am on the fence to buy the mega drive mini but I have some questions. Before that I just want to describe myself so that you all get some understanding of my point of view.

My first console was a NES and it is for the moment the console I use the most. At the moment I have a lot to do at work and at home so the simplicity of the hardware (few buttons, 2D, power directly to a game) is very appealing. Any system with a slow starting interface or games that requires me to invest a long time goes away.

I have never owned a Sega product and when I grow up exactly one person I know owned a mega drive. He had altered beast which I thought was good looking but otherwise not the most fun game.

1, it seems to come from the same era as the NES with games that is friendly for quick game seasons. Is this correct? I know that the mega drive is a later console generation than NES, but how are the games in terms of scope?
2, seems to be a nice simple controller just as the NES. How good is the controllers that comes with the package? Is it easy to use for a PC?
3, The only game I have played a version of is Tetris, so compared to buy used NES games it is a lot of value for the money.

So overall would you recommend the mega drive mini for someone that has no nostalgia for sega products and that just want to have a system with short startup times and shorter games as he doesn't feel that he have the energy to invest in modern games.

The earliest Genesis games feel a lot like NES games to me. As the system matured and Sega began to really compete with the SNES the games started to get more sophisticated. The Genesis Mini has a good spread of both styles, I'd say. Some very simple arcadey ones, and some more deep, involved games.

It launched with a simple 4 button controller (A, B, C, and Start), so pretty much the same as the NES, they later released a 6 button controller, but relatively few games took advantage of it, and very few required it.

And the Genesis version of Tetris is pretty bad, way worse than the NES or Game Boy versions. Definitely don't buy the system just for that.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
The earliest Genesis games feel a lot like NES games to me. As the system matured and Sega began to really compete with the SNES the games started to get more sophisticated. The Genesis Mini has a good spread of both styles, I'd say. Some very simple arcadey ones, and some more deep, involved games.

It launched with a simple 4 button controller (A, B, C, and Start), so pretty much the same as the NES, they later released a 6 button controller, but relatively few games took advantage of it, and very few required it.

And the Genesis version of Tetris is pretty bad, way worse than the NES or Game Boy versions. Definitely don't buy the system just for that.

I don't think I would buy any system for tetris to be honest :-)

It seems to be many more platformers on the mega drive mini compared to snes mini. As one who really like platformers how are the non sonic ones and can I play sonic slowly to start with? As I said never really owned a sega console.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

It seems to be many more platformers on the mega drive mini compared to snes mini. As one who really like platformers how are the non sonic ones and can I play sonic slowly to start with? As I said never really owned a sega console.
You will play Sonic slowly if you haven't played it before, it's the gameplay loop. As you get better, you'll also get faster.

There are quite a few good platformers on the Mini. Just skip Alex Kidd and anything else you choose will be fine, although games like Contra Hard Corps or Castlevania Bloodlines are similar to the NES entries so if you've played those franchises before you could start with that.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
You will play Sonic slowly if you haven't played it before, it's the gameplay loop. As you get better, you'll also get faster.

There are quite a few good platformers on the Mini. Just skip Alex Kidd and anything else you choose will be fine, although games like Contra Hard Corps or Castlevania Bloodlines are similar to the NES entries so if you've played those franchises before you could start with that.

Thanks for the heads up; I thought Alex Kidd ones was somewhat of a sega mascot during the master system era?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the heads up; I thought Alex Kidd ones was somewhat of a sega mascot during the master system era?
Yeah, there's only one Alex Kidd game on Genesis/Mega Drive but there are five on Master System/Mark III (although High Tech World wasn't an AK game in Japan) so it's way more associated with 8-bit Sega.

Miracle World and Shinobi World on SMS are the praised ones. Enchanted Castle (the game on the Mini) is pretty hated here because there are much better platformers that didn't make it on the Mini. I still enjoyed replaying it recently, though. It was a bit disappointing 30 years ago for not evolving the formula much from Miracle World and for not being a proper rival to Mario but, on its own, I think it's worth playing. Punching objects into enemies is satisfying as are the kicks once you get used to the timing.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017

This article lists the genre of each of the games included with the system:

Dynamite Headdy is probably the most highly regarded non-Sonic, non-action/shooter platformer on the system. There's also the Mickey Mouse games, Alex Kidd, Monster World IV..

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, there's only one Alex Kidd game on Genesis/Mega Drive but there are five on Master System/Mark III (although High Tech World wasn't an AK game in Japan) so it's way more associated with 8-bit Sega.

Miracle World and Shinobi World on SMS are the praised ones. Enchanted Castle (the game on the Mini) is pretty hated here because there are much better platformers that didn't make it on the Mini. I still enjoyed replaying it recently, though. It was a bit disappointing 30 years ago for not evolving the formula much from Miracle World and for not being a proper rival to Mario but, on its own, I think it's worth playing. Punching objects into enemies is satisfying as are the kicks once you get used to the timing.
This article lists the genre of each of the games included with the system:

Dynamite Headdy is probably the most highly regarded non-Sonic, non-action/shooter platformer on the system. There's also the Mickey Mouse games, Alex Kidd, Monster World IV..

Thank you both for your feedback. Will most likely buy a Mega drive mini Christmas present to myself.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've got a MD Mini at launch and so far I'm really happy with it. Managed to play only one evening so far though, but loved it! Never had my own MD back in the day (I was a Ninty-only kid), but always was eager to play MD at friends houses. Played Aladdin and Sonic 3 at friends houses for instance.

So my only question so far is (and sorry if this has already been answered): Is getting a 6-button pad really worth it for the MD Mini outside of Street Fighter II? Has someone already hacked the system?

shallone

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Update the 8 button retrobit blue pad has full functionality so you can do the level selct on sonic. The black one doesnt which is weird.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Update the 8 button retrobit blue pad has full functionality so you can do the level selct on sonic. The black one doesnt which is weird.
Personally, I think it has to do with whether or not it's compatible with the Switch, not the color. Is your blue 8-button "pre-Switch" compatible (one of the "old versions")? Mine is and works fine with the level select, but my black 6-buttons are compatible with the Switch and the level select does not work. My old retro-bit Saturn pads are able to do the level select too, and those aren't compatible with Switch.

On another note lol, the wireless M30 I got today that's compatible with both the Genesis mini and Switch works fine with the level select in Sonic 1 (if anyone's curious, yes... the cursor does still jump around a little more than you want in the menu. I don't think that's a controller problem).

Oct 28, 2017
(US) here.
Is anyone having issues with their 3-button controllers where the d-pad is able to (and during frantic gameplay TENDS TO) start rotating a bit clockwise?

I like the nostalgia of the pads, but little things like that make them feel cheap :-/

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
(US) here.
Is anyone having issues with their 3-button controllers where the d-pad is able to (and during frantic gameplay TENDS TO) start rotating a bit clockwise?

I like the nostalgia of the pads, but little things like that make them feel cheap :-/
Does this happen with your other pad as well? I haven't noticed anything of the sort.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The wireless 8bitdo controller arrived for me today. It works right out of the box and even has a dedicated button for the Mini menu.

It's perfect. 8bitdo continues to do great work.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats~ (Some reviews say that it doesn't fit together well. How do you find it?)

it slots together fine as far as everything slots in well and looks the part, some of the connectors are little rubber hook type things that come out easily when pressure is applied because im assuming as this has no functionality they don't want people crying because they break things both putting them together or taking them apart

None of the Addon parts actually plug in with a click that is firm because it isn't designed that way.....
I didn't realise that prior to purchase but I can see why the choices were made to prevent heavy handed people breaking and ripping them to pieces if they were designed to be secure like that actual consoles...
There are no electrical interfaces that were in the original hardware that held the majority of the devices together in real life(speaking as a previous owner of the mega drive, mega cd 2, 32x and even the 2 sonic lock on carts this toy emulates)

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

EDIT: forgot to say that I like platform games, but I did not enjoy the DS sonic games.
The system powers up quickly and games launch quickly too.

As you had a NES, hopefully you enjoyed Contra. If so, Gunstar Heroes is absolutely fantastic and frantic to play solo or with a friend.
it slots together fine as far as everything slots in well and looks the part, some of the connectors are little rubber hook type things that come out easily when pressure is applied because im assuming as this has no functionality they don't want people crying because they break things both putting them together or taking them apart

None of the Addon parts actually plug in with a click that is firm because it isn't designed that way.....
I didn't realise that prior to purchase but I can see why the choices were made to prevent heavy handed people breaking and ripping them to pieces if they were designed to be secure like that actual consoles...
There are no electrical interfaces that were in the original hardware that held the majority of the devices together in real life(speaking as a previous owner of the mega drive, mega cd 2, 32x and even the 2 sonic lock on carts this toy emulates)
sounds good. I'm gonna open my package and put it together then :D Just without the Super 32x :p

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a gray adapter (PS classic version) and use that adapter with my M30 Bluetooth controller.
You have to update the firmware of the adapter manually and then press left+up+select (the middle button of the 3 buttons below the start button) to switch the controller to MDmini mode. This took me a few tries to work, but once I did that it remembers the setting.

Here is the email I got from 8bitdo support:

You have to select an option to include beta builds somewhere in the software first, otherwise they won't show.

I hope this helps.

Only downside to this is that you cannot fit a second controller into the 2nd port because the adapter is a bit too wide.

Looking for some help here
Updated my grey ps wireless stick with the beta firmware
You pair the pad with the stick on other modes after you turn on the pad in the right mode?

Trying to turn the m30 on in the right mode

you said left + up + select (mini middle button)
That when you turn on the pad? Ie still needs the start button to turn it on?
And left + up = left on the dpad and up on the dpad or Left Lshoulder button and up on dpad then select plus start?

sorry it's my first foray into undocumented 8bitdo startups and I guess I'm tired

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Looking for some help here
Updated my grey ps wireless stick with the beta firmware
You pair the pad with the stick on other modes after you turn on the pad in the right mode?

Trying to turn the m30 on in the right mode

you said left + up + select (mini middle button)
That when you turn on the pad? Ie still needs the start button to turn it on?
And left + up = left on the dpad and up on the dpad or Left Lshoulder button and up on dpad then select plus start?

sorry it's my first foray into undocumented 8bitdo startups and I guess I'm tired
I'm on vacation right now so I can only reply with what I remember...
You just have to turn on the controller and pair it with the adapter. Once that is done you need to press diagonally left/up on the d-pad and select at the same time. That last step was a bit of hassle and took me several tries to register.
That's all I can tell you right now, best of luck.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey thanks for this!
Also sent in a request to 8bitdo support and they came back also on it
It was the diagonal and select - took a few attempts but switched over in the end - think pressing select 1st might have done it but very happy now it's working and like the quick responses the M30 gives

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

So~ I finally put it together (without the 32x) and it really looks like the real McCoy. I'm really impressed with it for something so inexpensive. Though, I fully get why they didn't make the connections so rigid but I completely understand why some reviews said the looseness bothered them - things move more than you'd expect.
All in all, this is pretty damn cool for the price. :D
And now to continue waiting for the hack ;)

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So~ I finally put it together (without the 32x) and it really looks like the real McCoy. I'm really impressed with it for something so inexpensive. Though, I fully get why they didn't make the connections so rigid but I completely understand why some reviews said the looseness bothered them - things move more than you'd expect.
All in all, this is pretty damn cool for the price. :D
And now to continue waiting for the hack ;)

yeah if I was using it with a wired controller I wouldn't be so happy with the way it slots together, having got the 8bitdo stock working today my only wish list is a black version of it for aesthetics :p oh and a mod/hack for more games and maybe some extra crtfilter options

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
yeah if I was using it with a wired controller I wouldn't be so happy with the way it slots together, having got the 8bitdo stock working today my only wish list is a black version of it for aesthetics :p oh and a mod/hack for more games and maybe some extra crtfilter options
Since they released a 2.4 GHz Version of the M30 especially for the mini I don't think they will bother making a black wireless adapter.
My biggest gripe when using the adapter is the size of it and not being able to connect a second controller.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago and have blown through everything I was pumped about, now it's almost time to dig for new experiences after finishing up Thunder Force (which is crazy good, I'll have to track down the rest of the series).

What are the best games on here that I haven't played? So far I've done: Streets of Rage, Sonic 1&2, Road Rash, Thunder Force, Castlevania, Contra, Golden Axe, Columns, Tetris, Darius, Altered Beast, Bean Machine, Spinball, Vectorman, and VF2.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago and have blown through everything I was pumped about, now it's almost time to dig for new experiences after finishing up Thunder Force (which is crazy good, I'll have to track down the rest of the series).

What are the best games on here that I haven't played? So far I've done: Streets of Rage, Sonic 1&2, Road Rash, Thunder Force, Castlevania, Contra, Golden Axe, Columns, Tetris, Darius, Altered Beast, Bean Machine, Spinball, Vectorman, and VF2.
Damn, you've played through all those already? I need to stop sucking lol. I think Monster World IV is highly thought of. I'm only part way through it but I can't really tell where I'm supposed to go next. Maybe give that a shot?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis) is a great action-rpg, if you like the genre.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
AZ.jpg

Pretty happy with this bad boy. The lightweight & small controller feel surprisingly good to play with. Still, these middle-button nubs... Anyway. The Asian selection of games still feels a notch above the others—I care little about the untranslated JRPG even tho Langrisser II still made the cut somehow.
Vampire Killer might be my favorite "classic" Castlevania, Gunstar Heroes is timelessly great, Thunder Force III is a technical masterpiece for its time (but hard as fuckk), Musha ALESTE has great action and—at least in its japanese version—a cute anime girl so what else could you ask for. Keeping the big ones—Legend of Thor, Shining Force I&II, Landstalker—for the end. Too bad I already played Monster World IV on PS3. Wonder Boy in Monster World can go to hell tho.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Damn, you've played through all those already? I need to stop sucking lol. I think Monster World IV is highly thought of. I'm only part way through it but I can't really tell where I'm supposed to go next. Maybe give that a shot?
Ha, I have been playing a lot but I didn't finish all that I listed. Plus I've made liberal usage of save states so as to not waste time on re-tries. And some like Vectorman and VF2 didn't do it for me so those were short sessions.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never played any of the Wonder Boy/Monster World games and was curious about MW IV and Wonder Boy in Monster World. I wish more series would have had multiple games represented on the Mini like MW and Sonic (mainly Streets of Rage and Road Rash).
Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis) is a great action-rpg, if you like the genre.
TY, will give it a shot! I like Zelda and it seems to be similar to that.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
AZ.jpg

Pretty happy with this bad boy. The lightweight & small controller feel surprisingly good to play with. Still, these middle-button nubs... Anyway. The Asian selection of games still feels a notch above the others—I care little about the untranslated JRPG even tho Langrisser II still made the cut somehow.
Vampire Killer might be my favorite "classic" Castlevania, Gunstar Heroes is timelessly great, Thunder Force III is a technical masterpiece for its time (but hard as fuckk), Musha ALESTE has great action and—at least in its japanese version—a cute anime girl so what else could you ask for. Keeping the big ones—Legend of Thor, Shining Force I&II, Landstalker—for the end. Too bad I already played Monster World IV on PS3. Wonder Boy in Monster World can go to hell tho.

Play MWIII in Japanese. All deaths send you to a nearby inn to save and the final boss is a gradius-esque sitting duck. Makes the game a billion times more fun.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
That or Dynastic Hero on the TGCD, which is the same as the JP MWIII
If only I didn't already spent so many hours on it... I had enough now (gave up at the volcano part, fuckkk that dungeon)
Why is Monster World III bad exactly?
I might be too harsh but as cute & charming the visuals can be I find the enemy patterns (the ridiculous reach of your main weapon plays a lot it that tbh) & the backtracking to be a fucking shore—I found myself getting wild mad way too many times

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Should I get it or a RetroPie (Raspberry Pi 4B)?
Depends. You get a lot more of customization and options with a Pi, on top of the games likely having less input / sound lag than on the stock Mini (it'll be fixed when they hack it, if you wanna wait), but obviously with a Pi you don't get official hardware if you care about that.

The Mini also includes a few games that had never been re-released before and you can't get elsewhere, too.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, when I noticed it I went and checked the other pad (which is essentially unused) and I was able to turn it a bit, tho not quite as easily as the pad I've been using. They both turn 5-10 degrees clockwise.
So, I went and tried to rotate the D-Pad of my second controller and I can see what you mean now. I do have to rotate it manually though, it doesn't seem to happen while using it normally.

Oct 28, 2017
So, I went and tried to rotate the D-Pad of my second controller and I can see what you mean now. I do have to rotate it manually though, it doesn't seem to happen while using it normally.

Indeed. I actually got a return on my Amazon order and got a new one just to test. Same result with the 2nd batch.

For me it was a wear thing, even tho it was really very little wear. Started out tight, but a few hours of Ecco and other actiony games where you"roll" the pad instead of tap wore it down, and made it so it would rotate during gameplay with little force.

Now that I've got replacements, I'm gonna go easy on the 3-button pads, and only use them when I want that 1991 nostalgia hit, and rely more on the 6-button Retrobit pad I got.