• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

It's called the

• Genesis

Votes: 348 46.5%
  • Mega Drive

Votes: 401 53.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Man, fuck that shit.

I'd take the three main GnG games over Capcom's reheated copy-paste shit that you see in the Mega Man franchise ad nauseam.
Yeah, they're great games to play in Halloween too. Never understood the complaints about the controls as the game is balanced around them quite well.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love this thing but being from the UK playing Spinball etc. at full NTSC speed feels "right but wrong" to me hahaha. Like I understand why that game in particular always felt a little janky now but it's not how I remember it! Wish I could toggle PAL speed for the nostalgia factor.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I love this thing but being from the UK playing Spinball etc. at full NTSC speed feels "right but wrong" to me hahaha. Like I understand why that game in particular always felt a little janky now but it's not how I remember it! Wish I could toggle PAL speed for the nostalgia factor.
Haha... bring back my EXTRA Eurojank!

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Pretty sure he's expressing incredulity at the series ever being popular in the first place.
Correct... well, almost.

G'nG is the quintessential quarter devourer. I wouldn't be surprised if some people's first experience withe the games literally mirrored the Waterworld arcade scene from the Simpsons.

I mean, I kinda understand the appeal but the first two games are borderline impossible as they are and keeping the "you have to do it again with the most impractical weapon ever, lololol" twist really shouldn't have been kept beyond the first game. Yet Capcom's been rewarded again and again for this shit from critics and gamers alike.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The double input lag on the menu is pretty annoying!

Other than that though I really like it, lots of nostalgia. Want it hacked so i can load up S3&K

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Haven't poked my head in here. 85MB of extra space is pretty significant. On its own that's easily able to fit like 20 additional games or more, but I'm sure that a fair bit of that space would have to be taken up with retroarch stuff too, so it would be an overestimate.

There are minor differences, largest is probably some different music in the original Sonic 3 - but Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the full intended Sonic 3.

Edit: Sonic and Knuckles is actually pretty barebones with no Tails and no save function. It has a unique title screen otherwise not seen though.

Yeah once you get past the title screen Sonic & Knuckles has nothing to offer that isn't better provided by locking-on Sonic 3, unless you need to get into Mushroom Hill Zone, like, right the fuck now. That said I do think Mushroom Hill is a better first stage for Knuckles because of how it directly tutorializes you into using his various abilities from his intro spot, and there's nothing like that in Angel Island zone really.

Having the initial workings of a Sega CD emulator doesn't surprise me too much, given that M2 and Sega have openly hinted at wanting to do a Sega CD focused mini-console if this one does well. It would not surprise me to find that they have already done a little bit of work to enable it, especially given that a fairly significant amount of code could be re-used for it if the emulator was being made carefully enough.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Man, it was surreal playing Alisia Dragoon after 20-something years!
It was one of my favourite games when I was a teen, and I still remembered some secret entrances...

Thank you so much Sega and M2 for letting me enjoy my favourite console of all time again! :D

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They say that the lag goes away if you overclock the SoC to be the same as the SNESC using the stock emulator. M2 fucked up.
It's really disappointing they didn't fix that before production. The lag doesn't make the games unplayable but it really shouldn't be there at a perceptible level.
Man, fuck that shit.

I'd take the three main GnG games over Capcom's reheated copy-paste shit that you see in the Mega Man franchise ad nauseam.
I agree. And whenever people say the original Ghosts 'n Goblins sucked, I wonder when they first played it. In the mid '80s, there was nothing quite like it. It felt like a landmark game for scrolling action platformers. Playing it years later isn't going to have the same effect.

It's funny how opinions on these games vary so much. I was thinking how well Ghouls has aged when playing it on the Mini.

Oct 28, 2017
Even at NTSC, Spinball still runs with a lot of slowdown - the only way to really bring it to full speed (almost unplayably fast) is overclocking the CPU:

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Odds m2 would release an official patch? Zilch right? Updating through USB would just open it to hax galore (not that it isn't already)

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Odds m2 would release an official patch? Zilch right? Updating through USB would just open it to hax galore (not that it isn't already)
The only classic console to release a firmware upgrade has been the C64 mini. The upgrade allowed to sideload games not included in the console through USB. They clearly didn't give a fuck about piracy. I doubt Sega, Nintendo, or Sony would do the same.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Lighten up, it was a joke. Fair enough though, never saw the 1990 EU pad before so it must be rare. I got mine in 92 with Sonic 1 and 2, which fits with the picture I linked to originally and my memories.
Sega Retro have a nice summary of pad variations.
Ha! :D I got mine in 92 for Sonic 2 also, but my MD was a HK edition with different pad details to the UK. :) The HK edition was PAL compatible but wasn't region locked :)

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yes, leave the console alone for a few minutes and it'll start

I got it and after replacing the internal games it's pretty good tbh
Once you do some simple hacks, the PS Mini becomes an awesome all in one box.
Yeah, I don't regret my decision at all after hacking it and I paid $60 for mine.

Having a TV setup dedicated to mini systems has been nice. Can't wait for the TG16 mini to round things out.
I did hack mine and it is still shitty. Have you tried to actually finishing games on it? I play games I did not have a chance to back then on those mini consoles and the ps classic is awful for that. I attempted to finish Brave fencer musashi, Vanark, and 3 or 4 other games and they all crash along the way while launching just fine. They worst part is my save files are all gone including both native and save states.

It's fine for multiplayer games but this thing is unreliable for long games so forget about jrpgs. The only game I managed to complete on it was Klonoa and I still had several crashes but my saves remained for some random reason.Maybe those issues will be fixed later with emulator updates but as of now the ps classic is garbage. So NO it was not worth 30$. Cheap garbage is still garbage. It just looks good on the shelf.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I did hack mine and it is still shitty. Have you tried to actually finishing games on it? I play games I did not have a chance to back then on those mini consoles and the ps classic is awful for that. I attempted to finish Brave fencer musashi, Vanark, and 3 or 4 other games and they all crash along the way while launching just fine. They worst part is my save files are all gone including both native and save states.

It's fine for multiplayer games but this thing is unreliable for long games so forget about jrpgs. The only game I managed to complete on it was Klonoa and I still had several crashes but my saves remained for some random reason.Maybe those issues will be fixed later with emulator updates but as of now the ps classic is garbage. So NO it was not worth 30$. Cheap garbage is still garbage. It just looks good on the shelf.
I haven't had any crashes, yours are probably because of the USB Drive.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017

I've finished close to a dozen games on the PS Mini, and haven't had much of an issue. Were you using the stock emulator via Bleemsync or Retroarch? The latter has far fewer compatibility issues. Have you adjusted the clock speed at all?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I haven't had any crashes, yours are probably because of the USB Drive.
I tried several usb and same issue. They work fine on my snes mini

I've finished close to a dozen games on the PS Mini, and haven't had much of an issue. Were you using the stock emulator via Bleemsync or Retroarch? The latter has far fewer compatibility issues. Have you adjusted the clock speed at all?
I used Bleemsync.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I tried several usb and same issue. They work fine on my snes mini

I used Bleemsync.
Yeah, the stock emulator on Bleemsync is garbage. Settings can be tweaked in quite a few cases to increase compatibility but some games just don't run well at all on it. There's a better version of the emulator available as a RetroArch core and it's pretty much the best method of playing PS1 games on the console.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yeah, the stock emulator on Bleemsync is garbage. Settings can be tweaked in quite a few cases to increase compatibility but some games just don't run well at all on it. There's a better version of the emulator available as a RetroArch core and it's pretty much the best method of playing PS1 games on the console.
Thanks.
I'll do that then.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Received the updated USB pads in the mail today. I got these partially for Switch compatibility, and I'm pleased to discover that their Switch button mapping is somewhat configurable. By default, the D-pad acts as the left stick, but you can input some button combinations to make it function as the D-buttons or right stick instead. There's also another code that flips the mapping for A/B and X/Y, which is useful because the button order on Sega controllers reads left-to-right, while Nintendo's reads right-to-left.

(If anyone is looking for cheap 6-button controllers for the Mini, let me know, 'cause I'm going to be offloading my old ones soon.)

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Wait.

Is the reason the A and B buttons on the NES controller read from right to left because Nintendo is a Japanese company and Japanese text is read right to left?

That's a good theory, but keep in mind SEGA is also a Japanese company as well and even on the Megadrive the buttons on their controllers are left to right. The Master System control pad used numbers 1 and 2. The 1 button also acting as the start button. Although in fairness the Mark III (Japanese name for the Master System) controller ports are also reversed and right to left order. (Player 1 is on the right and player 2 is to the left)

Interesting enough the NEC Turbo Duo / TG16 Controller uses numbers too, and it's in left-to-right like the Nintendo controllers.

Last edited:

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Wait.

Is the reason the A and B buttons on the NES controller read from right to left because Nintendo is a Japanese company and Japanese text is read right to left?
I had never thought about that before but it does make sense. Modern Japanese is no longer read right to left though, unless were talking about Japanese that's vertically written.
That's a good theory, but keep in mind SEGA is also a Japanese company as well and even on the Megadrive the buttons on their controllers are left to right. The Master System control pad used numbers 1 and 2. The 1 button also acting as the start button.

Interesting enough the NEC Turbo Duo / TG16 Controller uses numbers too, and it's in left-to-right like the Nintendo controllers.
Sega is originally an American company so I guess that's why they went in actual ABC order.

Oct 29, 2017
I'll never understand how Capcom managed to get around to make a third G'nG game. The first was terrible already but good lord, Ghouls 'n Ghosts on Professional mode is downright impossible in level 1 already and the easier mode isn't that much easier actually.

Ghouls N' Ghosts was amongst Capcom's most popular series back in the day; Ghosts N' Goblins on NES was actually their best selling single game of the entire 8bit and 16bit era, outside of Street Fighter 2. Super Ghouls N' Ghosts is also not far behind, beaten only by Mega Man 2, Mega Man X and Final Fight.

It was basically the Dark Souls of its day. (except it's far better and far more fun than that series!) It's comically hard, in a fun way, where the games almost mock you along the way. It's great! And for my money, it's the single best series Capcom has ever produced.

Fun fact: Super Ghouls n' Ghosts was the first game that Tatsuya Minami was lead designer on, the man who would go on to help found and ultimately head Platinum Games! It was also the game that got the single longest development cycle of any Capcom game in the 8 and 16bit era (2 years), when Minami was drafted in to help rescue the project. It really, really shows! It's probably their best game of their entire 8 & 16bit eras. It would also go on to be a big source of inspiration for Clover/Platinum's future titles, particularily with how they handle set piece and difficulty level design.

What I wouldn't give to see the series return with a proper new entry by Platinum Games...

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I just saw this and this person claims otherwise: https://twitter.com/GRSonic/status/1180413622008332289

Just to be clear, you did test on a EU Mini, right?

Oh wow! I missed that completely!

I just re-tested it on my friend's EU MD Mini and it's true! You do indeed get the US versions of Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps! Only when set to Korean though, not Japanese or Chinese (You get the Japanese versions in those cases).

I clearly overlooked it, sorry! That's great news for EU MD Mini owners! :D

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So I discovered something that sucks: On the 6 button pad, the A+Start button combination doesn't work.
So any cheat that requires that combo (like Sonic 1 level select), doesn't work.
It does work on the 3 button pad, though.

I tried this on the Retro-Bit controller. Anyone with the original Sega pad care to try it?

Oct 29, 2017
So I discovered something that sucks: On the 6 button pad, the A+Start button combination doesn't work.
So any cheat that requires that combo (like Sonic 1 level select), doesn't work.

I tried this on the Retro-Bit controller. Anyone with the original Sega pad care to try it?

Just tried the Sonic 1 level select code. Works just fine with the official 6 button controller that comes with the Asian MD Mini.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow! I missed that completely!

I just re-tested it on my friend's EU MD Mini and it's true! You do indeed get the US versions of Castlevania Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps! Only when set to Korean though, not Japanese or Chinese (You get the Japanese versions in those cases).

I clearly overlooked it, sorry! That's great news for EU MD Mini owners! :D

Alright, thanks! I was sure they had to be on there somewhere, leaving them off entirely would have been too amateur a mistake to make.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Tried Road Rash for the first time and it's surprisingly fun and controls way better than I expected.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Ghouls N' Ghosts was amongst Capcom's most popular series back in the day; Ghosts N' Goblins on NES was actually their best selling single game of the entire 8bit and 16bit era, outside of Street Fighter 2. Super Ghouls N' Ghosts is also not far behind, beaten only by Mega Man 2, Mega Man X and Final Fight.
I vaguely remember DuckTales NES being on the Platinum list a few years back above GnG, at 1.67m units sold. I thought they might have just gotten rid of Disney titles on the list in the last few years, but that isn't the case either, since the Ducktales remake shows up at the tail end of the most updated list. Wonder what happened there.

Oct 28, 2017

Seems to have been an oversight on Retro-Bit's part:

Also can confirm that the official 6B that comes with the JP Mega Mini works fine.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
they really wanted to enforce switch compatibility on their offically licensed sega product made primarily for the genesis mini huh

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I checked on the new Retro-Bit Saturn USB pad this morning and A+Start worked fine on Sonic 1 on that.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
they really wanted to enforce switch compatibility on their offically licensed sega product made primarily for the genesis mini huh
I assume the non-Switch compatible older batches of the USB pad released a few months ago should therefore have no trouble inputting the code.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I checked on the new Retro-Bit Saturn USB pad this morning and A+Start worked fine on Sonic 1 on that.
Hmmm... I just checked with the 6-button retro-bit controller and I can't get the level select to come up, but it does with my Japanese 6-button pad.

Oh! I'll try my older non-Switch 8-button controller in just a second and edit it in, wait one. (edit: yes, the pre-switch compatible 8-button controllers work fine when doing the level select code)

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Thoughts about some games I've been playing:

- Gunstar Heroes: Holy fuck this is amazing. Cuphead definitely took a lot of inspiration from it, great game.
- Shinobi 3. Had only played Revenge, but this is pretty cool as well. Still wish we had gotten that one though.
- Virtua Fighter 2: As bad as always. Truly a baffling inclusion when Ristar isn't in.
- Contra Hard Corps: I still don't think this series is fair, but definitely super fun. Very lenient with checkpoints as well, probably my favorite Contra after 4.
- Darius: I can appreciate them making essentially a new game... but this isn't very good. Wish they had included Sagaia as well
- Castlevania Bloodlines: Now this, this is great. Haven't played Rondo, but this is probably the best Classicvania of them all.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Hmmm... I just checked with the 6-button retro-bit controller and I can't get the level select to come up, but it does with my Japanese 6-button pad.

Oh! I'll try my older non-Switch 8-button controller in just a second and edit it in, wait one.
Just tried the 8-button Retro-Bit Genesis controller, and A + Start didn't work in the level select code. If it works with the Saturn controller, then I suppose I'll be getting that one. What a weird thing, though.
Thoughts about some games I've been playing:

- Gunstar Heroes: Holy fuck this is amazing. Cuphead definitely took a lot of inspiration from it, great game.
- Shinobi 3. Had only played Revenge, but this is pretty cool as well. Still wish we had gotten that one though.
- Virtua Fighter 2: As bad as always. Truly a baffling inclusion when Ristar isn't in.
- Contra Hard Corps: I still don't think this series is fair, but definitely super fun. Very lenient with checkpoints as well, probably my favorite Contra after 4.
- Darius: I can appreciate them making essentially a new game... but this isn't very good. Wish they had included Sagaia as well
- Castlevania Bloodlines: Now this, this is great. Haven't played Rondo, but this is probably the best Classicvania of them all.
Cuphead seems to have taken some inspiration from Contra: Hard Corps, as well.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried the 8-button Retro-Bit Genesis controller, and A + Start didn't work in the level select code. If it works with the Saturn controller, then I suppose I'll be getting that one. What a weird thing, though.
Is it one of the newer ones you have? I bought mine, uh... back in March before they were compatible with Switch.

I was able to do the level select code with it fine.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I did buy one of the newer ones. It's the blue one.

I guess that's the "thing" then. Since the 6-button USB controllers that I have that don't work with this code only came out sometime last month (edit: 'scuse me... 30th of August) and are compatible with the Switch.
My old Saturn pad works with this code too. I bought it back in May though, but it doesn't seem like they updated it to work with switch (on amazon, they're all advertised as "old versions").

I mean, workaround is pretty simple if you don't want to buy another controller. Just do the code with an included 3-button and save a state there, then load that save-state up with the 6 (or 8 in your case) button controller when you actually want to play it.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I mean, workaround is pretty simple if you don't want to buy another controller. Just do the code with an included 3-button and save a state there, then load that save-state up with the 6 (or 8 in your case) button controller when you actually want to play it.
That's not a bad idea, though I generally play with the three-button controller, anyway.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Some quick impressions about the games I've tried (Jp version).
- Darius: A pretty good port that looks very close to the PC-Engine one. Unfortunately I own the later so I would have preferred Darius II instead.
- Tetris: Something feels off here. I don't see myself playing this version often. More of a curiosity than anything.
- Space Harrier II: I realize once again I do not like at all Space Harrier and all those pseudo 3D shooting games Sega loved to make back in the day. Probably an important game with a lot of fans but a waste of a slot in my humble opinion.
- Dai Makaimura (Ghouls 'n Ghosts): A solid port of a great game, helmed by Yuji Naka (and that would influence Sonic). I wonder how it compares to the Super Grafx port.
- Golden Axe: Never liked this one and it's not going to change now.
- Assault Suit Leynos: I really want to like it as a fan of Valken, but I just don't get it. Will need to spend more time with it.
- Thunder Force III: Yep, it's great, best shmup on the MD (cause I can 1CC it unlike IV...)
- Colums/Puyo Puyo 2: Look like they could be fun but I'm not too much into puzzle games.
- Musha Aleste: The ship is a bit too big for my liking and I'm not very fond of the power-up system used in the Aleste series, but it's still very good from what I've played.
- Super Fantasy Zone: It's Fantasy Zone alright. Will definitely put some time into it later.
- Shining Force: I haven't tried it on the Mini yet but I played it for the first time last year. Honestly, I'm not too fond of it. I'm not that great at simulation games and yet it was a breeze without anything of note level design wise, as far as I remember. I was far more impressed by the first Langrisser I discovered also one or two years ago. I would have preferred the sequel since I haven't played it yet, and I imagine it improves quite a bit over this one.
- Alisia Dragoon: It requires a bit of getting used to the controls but after that it's actually a lot of fun.
- Landstalker: Love what I've played. Can't wait to put more time into it.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Never played it before despite having it on both the Saturn and the 3DS, but I'm sold after the first 2 stages.
- World of Illusion: Fun if not challenging. Reminds me of Castle of Illusion (duh) which is a good thing.
- Slap Fight: Toa Plan + Gradius power-up system? Nice.
- Road Rash II: Wasn't expecting anything but it's surprisingly fun.
- Gunstar Heroes: Okay this one is great. I can see why it's so popular.
- Party Quiz Mega Q: Again, surprisingly fun. I like how it plays like if you were a contestant in some TV game. On the other hand, it ends up very hard with those outdated questions about now obscure celebrities or drama from 20 years ago.
- Vampire Killer (Bloodlines): Still one of the best Castlevania.
- Tantoaru: Probably a lot of fun with some friends but I made the mistake of buying the package with a single controller.
- Monster World IV: Not my favorite Wonder Boy/Monster World, but it plays great and is absolutely beautiful.
- Lord Monarch: Er... I think I'll read the manual before trying again.
- The Hybrid Front: A Daisenryaku-like simulation game in an SF dystopic world supervised by one of the father of the genre in Japan. While significantly different, I can't help but think of Front Mission with this one (it helps than FM2's Jun Suemi is also the illustrator). One of, if not the game I was the most pleased to see announced for the Mini, and I'm not disappointed from the very little I've played. But as with Lord Monarch, it deserves a bigger time investment than what I gave it to be properly judged.
- Contra the Hardcore (Hard Cops): Not big into Contra but I think it may be the best one I've played until now.
- Rockman Megaworld (Megaman Wily Wars): I appreciate the effort and that it's 3 games in one, but it doesn't feel like the Megaman I know. I will stick with the Classic Collection.
- Game no Kanzume: Hit or miss, as expected, but some games are decently entertaining.