• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure it'll be a button combination like the other retro consoles. I can't imagine M2 not programming a solution or SoA being that boneheaded despite some odd decisions.

I know the NES/SNES Classic forced you to hit the reset button on the device to return to the menu and it wasn't until they were hacked that you could set a button combination (or if you had something like a Wii Classic controller with a Home button). Did the Playstation Classic act the same way, or did it have a dedicated button combination out of the box? Any idea how it worked on the earlier Sega Mini consoles from AtGames?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear the six button controller I have will work.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know the NES/SNES Classic forced you to hit the reset button on the device to return to the menu and it wasn't until they were hacked that you could set a button combination (or if you had something like a Wii Classic controller with a Home button). Did the Playstation Classic act the same way, or did it have a dedicated button combination out of the box? Any idea how it worked on the earlier Sega Mini consoles from AtGames?
Whoops, my bad about my earlier statement. I was under the impression that NES and SNES classic controllers had a shortcut function. Apparently, that's not the case.

I hope M2 has a shortcut in mind, but if not, welp. Even more of a reason to be mad about this kerfuffle.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Sega to Me: wait for the console to drop $20 in order to makeup for the price of the controller
Me to Sega: can do!

Mean Bean Machine being included was bad enough but Spinball as well? Segas quickly backsliding into their usual roster. Can't wait until they announce Sonic 3......D Blast ~_~

Since that multi-tap things announced can I have hope we'll get Mega Bomberman?? Beyond Oasis & Wily Wars making it is cool since they were on my 20-remaining games wishlist!

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
My disappointments so far (regarding eu/us):

- Musha Aleste (hopefully in the last 10)
- Sonic 3 and knuckles (Sega resolve your problems and include it, i cant believe a collection without it).
- Golden axe 1? Really? Hopefully 3 is included also.
- streets of rage 1 and 3 are still MIA
- Mortal Kombat 2 should be included also.
- i am the only one asking for Shadow Blasters and i dont know why, awesome game.
- it is a crime against humanity not to include Aladdin.
- robocop vs terminator anyone?
All genesis versions of MK are ass with or without blood. SF2SCE is the only worthwhile fighter they need to bother including.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
The Story of Thor = great, it was on my list.
Ghouls N' Ghosts = fine version of the game. Would have preferred Strider, but I can't complain.
Phantasy Star IV = One of the best turn based RPG's on the system. Ace.
Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition = This is actually a fine port, aside from some scratchy audio samples. But it is disappointing that Sega's giving out 3 button controllers, which makes this game a little more painful to play. Street Fighter 2 was the reason why Sega made 6 button controllers for the Genesis. Because Capcom requested it just for this game.
Mega Man: The Wily Wars = I mean, neat choice just for curiosity's sake, and I guess you do get three Mega Man games on this collection. That is a bonus. Would have liked to see Pulseman in its place. But this will do fine.
Sonic Spinball = I don't mind Sonic Spinball, but at the same time, I feel that this is the weakest games on this list. Pinnball does add some diversity to the library. But it would have been something if they got the port of Devils Crush instead that was done by Technosoft.
Golden Axe = This one is fine for what it is. Adds another two player beat em up to the list. Kinda expected.
Wonder Boy In Monster World = Always a good choice.
Vectorman = It's fine, I suppose. I probably would have replaced this with something else, personally.

Sonic Spinball is the least interesting of this collection. But the rest of the list is strong enough. Mega Man: The Wily Wars is the big surprise here, which is cool. The US/ EU list still has a bit of a gaping hole when it comes to sports games, though. But maybe a couple will appear in the last 10? This list of games is looking good. But even at 40 titles, it still doesn't seen like enough for me.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Segas quickly backsliding into their usual roster.
Even if the rest were the "usual roster" you saw on like... Sonic's Genesis collection, or the Sega Mega Drive/ Genesis collections or whatever that got re-released over and over again, the fact that Hard Corps, Bloodlines, and WIly Wars are present makes it a day 1 purchase for me still.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
kind of off topic but who owns the rights to MUSHA these days? love that game and am hoping it is still included in the NA console :(

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Even if the rest were the "usual roster" you saw on like... Sonic's Genesis collection, or the Sega Mega Drive/ Genesis collections or whatever that got re-released over and over again, the fact that Hard Corps, Bloodlines, and WIly Wars are present makes it a day 1 purchase for me still.
I'll play Wily Wars cause I'm dumb an try out but prolly not finish Bloodlines. Only looking forward to 12 of the games revealed so far an for like half of 'em I could just load up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and play 'em. Filler is filler an there are better titles out there that could be in their place without taking away from the last 10 slots.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I do kind of feel like that makes it hard to include MW4 in a retro console since nobody in the west is going to have nostalgia for a game that wasn't available back in the day, but then Star Fox 2 happened so whatever. I think us getting WB in MW makes it unlikely that we'll see MW4, though I wouldn't be surprised if it made it onto the JPN release.
Super Fantasy Zone is here, though. I do not think nostalgia is a defining factor for much of the lineup, I think they mostly just want the best the console has to offer.

Wonder Boy in Monster World popping up has me a bit worried. Before I was certain MWIV would be in, but now I think it is only mostly likely. I will be very frustrated if that masterpiece is skipped over while we still get Enchanted Castle.

Because it's idiotic to invest in setting up an online marketplace for limited time items designed to make a cheap buck off of warm feelings of nostalgia.
From what I have heard SEGA is not going to have this as a limited thing like Nintendo does. They supposedly want this up on the market for years and years.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Sonic Spinball = I don't mind Sonic Spinball, but at the same time, I feel that this is the weakest games on this list. Pinnball does add some diversity to the library. But it would have been something if they got the port of Devils Crush instead that was done by Technosoft.

I like Spinball but I can't disagree with this; Devil's Crush is one of the best pinball adaptations of all time. There's, like, no reason not to have it.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
From what I have heard SEGA is not going to have this as a limited thing like Nintendo does. They supposedly want this up on the market for years and years.

Hopefully, you're right.

I'd trade games like Alex Kidd, Altered Beast, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Ecco the Dolphin, Sonic 1 & Sonic Spinball for games like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, MUSHA, Shining Force II, Monster World IV, Devil Crash/Dragon's Fury, Puyo Puyo II, & Strider (if those games aren't going to be part of the last 10 games for the NA/EU release).

Last edited:

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Looking forward to the release even more. I'll never forget when I first put the SF II CE cartridge in the system, so much gaming goodness (and I was able to save $$$$ by playing it on the Mega Drive as opposed to $1/$2 per credit at Time Zone!).

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Asia 3rd wave revealed, Orange indicates exclusive.

Ghost n Ghouls
The Revenge of Shinobi
Golden Axe
Wonder Bow in Monster World
Puyo Puyo 1 (Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine in US/PAL)
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
Phantasy Star IV
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Beyond Oasis
Alien Soldier

http://asia.sega.com/mdmini/cht/titlelist.html

Last edited:

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
So far, I'm leaning towards cancelling my pre-order for the NA version & either going for the Japanese version or the Asian version at this point.

It all comes down to these last 10 announced games on June 4th.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
So far, I'm leaning towards cancelling my pre-order for the NA version & either going for the Japanese version or the Asian version at this point.

It all comes down to these last 10 announced games on June 4th.
I hear ya, although I'm still somewhat on the fence for that one even. The Japanese version is definitely ahead for me right now, if only for Musha Aleste.

I'm still missing Soleil / Crusader of Centy from either version to actually justify a purchase in the first place. And both Rocket Knight Adventures games at that; those are definitely more needed than either of the other Konami games now that those are actually in modern collections.

Thunder Force IV is also a notable miss so far. Lastly, Monster World IV could also finally have gotten a more widespread release this way, but that's a bit less vital.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping (but not expecting) Alien Storm and The Lion King to make the final 10.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I hear ya, although I'm still somewhat on the fence for that one even. The Japanese version is definitely ahead for me right now, if only for Musha Aleste.

I'm still missing Soleil / Crusader of Centy from either version to actually justify a purchase in the first place. And both Rocket Knight Adventures games at that; those are definitely more needed than either of the other Konami games now that those are actually in modern collections.

Thunder Force IV is also a notable miss so far. Lastly, Monster World IV could also finally have gotten a more widespread release this way, but that's a bit less vital.

Musha is in the Asia version already. Thunderforce IV isn't going to happen because Sega wants to sell the Sega Ages version. I doubt Sparskter will happen too but as long as RKA is in it it's good.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Still hoping for:
- Strider
- Kid Chameleon
- MUSHA

but with only 10 left...

And I'd LOVE Fire Shark, but I never expected it in the first place. Still my favorite Genesis shooter.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Alien Soldier has a good chance to make it to the final 10 of the western lineup. Its never been released in the US, this is a good chance to release it there.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
I'm hoping the final ten is the best yet, having it be a "oh and also these" would kinda kill the hype. Gonna buy regardless but still

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many of you actually beat Comix Zone without save states? I couldn't make past stage 2 as a kid.

Lots of times because I had it on cart. Its a very short game, like 30 minutes tops (this was my biggest issue with it). Its tough as nails at first but once you learn the controls, blocking and secret items its rather easy in fact. Like lots of 2D games it requires memorization and then you almost beat it blindfolded at some point.

My biggest achievement on the Megadrive is beating Maximum Carnage without cheats. Now thats a fucking frustrating experience.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Alright, here are the updated lists. Fun fact: So far, there are 71 different games announced across the three versions of the Mini, counting Game no Kanzume Otokuyou as 10 games and counting Puyo Puyo/Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine as the same game. M2 must be burning the midnight oil.

Full NA/EU list (games not in the Japanese Mini are in orange bold italics):

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alisia Dragoon
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania Bloodlines
Columns
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps (aka Probotector)
Darius**
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (localization of the first Puyo Puyo)
Dynamite Headdy
Earthworm Jim
Ecco the Dolphin
Eternal Champions
Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Kid Chameleon
Landstalker
Light Crusader
Megaman: The Wily Wars
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star IV
Road Rash II
Shining Force
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition
Strider
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
Tetris
Thunder Force III
Toejam & Earl
VectorMan
Virtua Fighter 2

Wonder Boy in Monster World
World of Illusion

Full Japanese list (games not in the NA/EU Mini are in orange bold italics):

Alisia Dragoon
Assault Suit Leynos (aka Target Earth)
Castlevania Bloodlines
Columns
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps
Darius**
Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special
Dynamite Headdy
Game no Kanzume Otokuyou*
Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Langrisser 2
Lord Monarch
Madō Monogatari
Monster World IV
MUSHA Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor
Party Quiz Mega Q
Phantasy Star IV
Puyo Puyo Tsu
Rent a Hero
Road Rash 2
Rockman Megaworld (aka Mega Man: The Wily Wars)
Shining Force
Slap Fight MD
Snow Bros.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Street Fighter II' Champion Edition
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
Tetris
The Hybrid Front
The Story of Thor (aka Beyond Oasis)
The Super Shinobi (aka The Revenge of Shinobi)
Thunder Force III
World of Illusion
Wrestleball
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen

Asian list so far (games not in the Japanese or NA/EU Minis are in orange bold italics):

Alien Soldier
Castle of Illusion
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Comix Zone
Contra: Hard Corps
Ghouls & Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
MUSHA Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor
OutRun 2019
Phantasy Star IV
Puyo Puyo (from which Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is derived)
Puyo Puyo Tsu
SEGA Game Series Value Edition (aka Game no Kanzume Otokuyou)*
Shining Force
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage 2
Super Fantasy Zone
Sword of Vermilion
The Revenge of Shinobi
The Story of Thor (aka Beyond Oasis)
Thunder Force III
Wonder Boy in Monster World
World of Illusion
Wrestleball

*Games included in Game no Kanzume Otokuyou/SEGA Game Series Value Edition are:

16t
Flicky
Putter Golf
Hyper Marbles
Shi no Meikyuu (aka Fatal Labyrinth)
Medal City
Paddle Fighter
Ikazuse! Koi no Doki Doki Penguin Land MD
Pyramid Magic
Robot Battler
Teddy Boy Blues
Aworg

**Darius is a fan-made port never originally released for the Genesis/Mega Drive that Sega has picked up for the Mini

Last edited:

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Asia had Shinobi 3, I would have preordered already. Still, really liking their lineup and will likely end up getting that after the last 10 are announced.

Sep 28, 2018
If the Western release doesn't include Kid Chameleon or Alien Soldier I will be bummed out. As for non-SEGA games, Aladdin and Rocket Knight would both be great.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
If the Western release doesn't include Kid Chameleon or Alien Soldier I will be bummed out. As for non-SEGA games, Aladdin and Rocket Knight would both be great.
Asia gets Alien Soldier!?! Bugger me! Might have to import...
Asia's still winning but missing Shinobi III hurts.
I reckon chances are pretty high the cheeky folks at Sega will just announce Shinobi III for the Asian version and Alien Soldier for the Western version next month.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SFII is just a waste of a slot because we have access to vastly superior arcade versions of the game.

Stick to originals, SEGA. Nobody is looking to play downgraded arcade ports.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Lots of times because I had it on cart. Its a very short game, like 30 minutes tops (this was my biggest issue with it). Its tough as nails at first but once you learn the controls, blocking and secret items its rather easy in fact. Like lots of 2D games it requires memorization and then you almost beat it blindfolded at some point.

My biggest achievement on the Megadrive is beating Maximum Carnage without cheats. Now thats a fucking frustrating experience.
I never got very far in Maximum Carnage either. I remember Separation Anxiety being more forgiving. Co-op certainly helped.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
SFII is just a waste of a slot because we have access to vastly superior arcade versions of the game.

Stick to originals, SEGA. Nobody is looking to play downgraded arcade ports.
I kinda have to agree with this, but seems Sega really wanted to get a fighter on there that's: a) recognizable and b) not M-rated (sorry Eternal Champions). But yes, slot would have been better filled by something you can't really experience elsewhere.

LIKE ROCKET KNIGHT.

I never got very far in Maximum Carnage either. I remember Separation Anxiety being more forgiving. Co-op certainly helped.
I completed MC back in the day, the Fantastic Four building level I recall was a real run-killer. Especially that fucking boss.
That game's soundtrack was worth all the tantrum-throwing, though.

I remember thinking Separation Anxiety was a poor man's Maximum Carnage. Co-op did nothing to stave off the boredom.