• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally? pass, I'll wait for M2's stuff. I wish d3t would spend more time and resources fixing the Shenmue ports instead.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So the M2 could still be arcade games ?

If by "could still be" you mean "one was already confirmed" than yes

J0iSnKe.jpg

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who probably isn't as sensitive to emulation quality as many people on this forum (been reading that the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle is apparently horrible, but I think it's fine -- same with the Mega Man Legacy Collection), this is a great deal and I'll probably pick it up.

But, if I can be really picky for a second, the scattershot format of classics on Switch (and other consoles) really makes me miss the consolidated nature of the Virtual Console. It's great to have so many classics available (and typically far cheaper in collections than buying them individually), but it kind of makes my eye twitch that my NES games will be on the Nintendo Online app, my Sega games will be over here, my Namco games are over there, my Capcom games are in another spot, etc. And of course, they all work differently with different filters, save states and other options. Folders could help this a little, but I'm sad that the dream of a legal, consolidated, uniform retro library with a robust selection of platforms and publishers seems to have died with the Wii.

I agree. Always preferred individual releases over these bundles. Bundles are bloated, undependable emulation quality, takes longer to get to the game you want...

Yukiido

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I bought this on PS4, but I'm definitely intending to get it for the Switch so I can have these games on the go. I've already bought the Sonic and Thunder Force Sega Ages releases, and I do appreciate the stellar work that M2 has put into them. Even so, I think in future, I'll buy whichever Ages releases I need to to fill in the gaps in this collection, but if the game is already part of this collection, I'll probably just stick with that rather than buy it again to have the Ages version.

Last edited:

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for the price but even if it has the $10 Switch tax it'll be more worth it than the individual releases. I saw the video that says why this collection sucks and honestly none of those are deal breakers to me. It might not be the perfect emulation but it's decent enough. I already own all these games more than once on many previous collections including M2 ports on the 3DS so in this case I think having all these games in one cartridge is better than a "perfect" emulation of only a few of these.

This is the only good thing about the death of the VC, compilations will no longer skip Nintendo consoles in favor of crappy expensive releases on the VC.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
96% complete today and 85% of the trophies and I think I'm done.

Loved the game but all that's left is to go back and redo all the Taskmaster challenges again and work on better scores to grind out more tokens. I just don't think I'm up for it. The game was quite lengthy for me, but still almost perfect length. Maybe if a few hours were shaved off i'd feel like grinding towards the platinum.

I think I just want to be done and move on. I just hope I don't regret it years down the road like I do with Infamous. I stopped at 95% and 1 trophy short of the platinum and while I loved the game I just felt i couldn't play another minute of it when I got to that point.

I don't think Spider-Man is included in this collection sadly.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as I've started dabbling in the Genesis home brew scene (along with restoring my Gen/32x/CD that I picked up for 20 bucks years ago), I think I'll stick with hobying Sega through that medium.

*Goes back to analysis how StarFox (barely) rendered polygons on the SNES (because reasons)

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Retro Game Challenge on the DS did a game room/bed room hub pretty well.

85969.jpg

You could even read game magazines on the shelf. It is pretty neat. Although, I dont know about this Sega Collection's game room hub.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Can't imagine why anyone would buy this when M2 is putting out a significantly superior product.

Although I agree that M2's releases are fantastic, so far the only overlap between this collection and SEGA AGES on Switch are Sonic 1 and 2. Unless the emulation in this collection is truly awful, it's perfectly understandable why your average consumer would opt for quantity over premium standalone ports. Personally, I'm buying both.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just want good ports of the Phantasy Star & Shining games. M2 would be best, but if the Genesis Classics collection emulation is decent, it'll do.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I just want good ports of the Phantasy Star & Shining games. M2 would be best, but if the Genesis Classics collection emulation is decent, it'll do.
Yeap, Phantasy Star IV is excellent and everyone shoudl play it. Plus, Shinobi, SoR2, Shining Force, etc... A lot of those games will take years (if ever) to get through the Ages program. Plus, you are talking $30 or less for the whole collection vs $8 for each game?

Edit: That room picture looks fine to me. It looks better on Steam, sure, but you aren't running it on a 6-8 core modern x86 CPU with a giant video card. The game room is good for what it is. You don't have to use it either.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, they should not have bothered with this after seeing how bad the room looks. It was clearly not meant to be scaled back.

No game differences either. Genesis collections without the Ecco games just feel straight up wrong.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
The only games in the collection that I really care about are the original Streets of Rage and the Phantasy Star games, so I will just wait and hope that M2 release those games for the Switch too. And if they aren't, it's no big deal, since I do have the collection already for the PS4.

HotPhase

Registered an alt account
Sep 19, 2018
Agreed! Why pay $30 to get 53 Genesis games when you could pay $16 to get just two of those games??

I love the Sega Ages releases but come on.

Maximumzero has a point, though. Both the Xbox One & PS4 versions of this collection had horrible emulation thanks to d3t doing the work.

If they're doing the emulations for the Switch version as well, then we can't count on this version of the collection being good, either.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Maximumzero has a point, though. Both the Xbox One & PS4 versions of this collection had horrible emulation thanks to d3t doing the work.

If they're doing the emulations for the Switch version as well, then we can't count on this version of the collection being good, either.

It's still not much of a point. The vast majority of games in this collection are not going to be added to Sega Ages by M2. If you want to play these games on Switch, this is your only option.

modoversus also posted an extensive video review earlier in the thread where a hardcore enthusiast goes over the collection's issues in detail and still says it's "fairly well done" in the end. Your average Sega fan is not going to care about minor emulation issues. If the audio is functional and it doesn't run like garbage, it's good enough for most people.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About damn time.

Will get for sure! One cannot deny our Gunstar Heroes gods!

However this collection would've been perfect with Rocket Knight Adventure, one of the best games on the system!

Last edited:

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Kotaku has a positive article up on the Switch version:
https://kotaku.com/genesis-classics-on-switch-is-the-perfect-way-to-play-o-1830710729

No mention of the emulation quality compared to the PS4/X1/PC versions. I imagine the sound is still off in a lot of games.

Jason is a huge JRPG fan IIRC so its no surprise that hes into this collection. I don't think those suffer as much from the poor emulation.

Yes his not mentioning the shoddy emulation of the other versions makes me sorta roll my eyes at his talk of preserving classic games.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for this. My only concern is whether to get it digital or physical. I've already invested heavily in my physical collection, but this is one of those perfect for digital. Play anything, anywhere without having to Switch carts.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I really dislike Sega's tacky bedroom interface. It always felt like crap on the PC. Can I just use a list?

How shoddy was the emulation on the other versions?

I wonder what it would take for Sega to release a Master System collection. I'd love to see an SNK 40th style compilation for Sega's pre-Megadrive games. The Sega Memorial Selection arcade collections were really interesting, but I'd like to see the Master System get some love.

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
FYI: the Wonderboy Games are missing in the Switch Version of this Collection. I didn´t saw a post mentioning it and the Games List in the FP are still listing them.

Oct 29, 2017
I really dislike Sega's tacky bedroom interface. It always felt like crap on the PC. Can I just use a list?

How shoddy was the emulation on the other versions?

I wonder what it would take for Sega to release a Master System collection. I'd love to see an SNK 40th style compilation for Sega's pre-Megadrive games. The Sega Memorial Selection arcade collections were really interesting, but I'd like to see the Master System get some love.

VERY shoddy. You really do get what you pay for here...