• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Sega is so sad in 2018.

Their fans would have done a better job than they could have.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Not news. Already told in the OT and still people defending this. Its so hard to SEGA hire some guys from PC emulator for doing that? Why?
The Revenge of Shinobi with input lag its
unacceptable.
I almost gave a chance to this, but not now.

Weird. Didn't they get a known Sonic modder to make the last retro sonic game which was really good? Why not do the same for the classics?

Oct 27, 2017
M2 did a bunch of the latter PSN/XBLA Vintage releases in 2010-2012 such as Streets of Rage Collection, Shinobi, Golden Axe, the Wonder Boy games and Castle of Illusion's Genesis version on PSN.

Ah, I have all of those minus the Wonder Boy ones, and they were fantastic. Hopefully they will do the same again, and not have this be the only Sega collection on the PS4/Xbox.

I remember getting the OG Caatles of Illusion as a preorder bonus for the remaster. I assume they did Sonic and Sonic 2 on there as well that I see?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
M2 did a bunch of the latter PSN/XBLA Vintage releases in 2010-2012 such as Streets of Rage Collection, Shinobi, Golden Axe, the Wonder Boy games and Castle of Illusion's Genesis version on PSN.
They did the (Japan only) Salamander compilation on PSP as well, which as far as I've heard is fantastic.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
So....is there any way to patch the stuttering and other issues or should I just sell this off as quickly as possible?

Should've done more research, but I didn't think there'd be any way to botch something this bad in 2018.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Whoever did Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Gems Collection on GameCube. Those were FANTASTIC.
To be fair, the main attractions in Gems (CD, Fighters and R) were all ground-up ports. CD's isn't particularly good either, but it was worthwhile as the first time you could buy that game on home consoles since the Sega CD.

But yeah, on the whole the GCN Sonic collections were better than anything after. And I'd argue Mega Collection was already a worse value proposition than Sonic Jam. Now you'll get a disc with some ROMs shit on it and it won't even have Sonic 3 or some bullshit.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I was watching the My Life in Gaming video about it and they say the collection is fine, but not as good as the M2 versions which they consider the best.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Were they any good? Had them on my wishlist for a while, but never pulled the trigger since moving over to the PS4 at it's launch. Only picked up random ones during Plus sales.
I honestly don't remember off hand, though I believe Sonic 1 & 2 were serviceable at the very least. I only ever had 2 on PS3 because of PS Plus and I didn't really play it much. I do recall hearing that the emulation wrapper used for it doesn't play nice with Sonic 3 & Knuckles' saves, though.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Better to just get the Sega Classics games on Steam, comes with rom files and everything that you can just use in a proper emulator :P

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Revenge of Shinobi with input lag

...I almost bought this.

No Sonic 3 and Knuckles was a heartbreaker, but I could deal. This?

THIS?

This is a dealbreaker of the highest order. This compilation is dead to me. And other overly dramatic quips but I'm damn serious. Putting lag in my shinobi games... somebody over there needs to go screw themselves and the mom they came out of.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just about to buy this...fuck.

Wait a minute, these lags and stutters are online only, right?!

Please tell me the SP/Local Multi are flawless.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That one is good, complete with the slowdown and everything.

Actually the Switch version has a "turbo" mode that pretty much gets rid of all slowdown in the first 6 games. Playing MM3 that way is pretty amazing. Only issue that can be a deal breaker is a slight bit of input lag in the collection (only collection 1, collection 2 which has 7-10 is fine) which doesn't affect me, but I know it'd bother other people.

That and audio popping (which is more audible on certain tunes) is still present on all versions (of collection 1). But for me those are smaller issues, and the games play just as I remember them. Definitely better than what I've seen of the most recent Sega collection.

Scoo

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Unity + Java is basically the perfect storm for unperformant games with inconsistent frame pacing and spikes. Whoever signed off on that tech spec for an emulator, doesn't know how to do their job.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Can't speak for consoles but on PC I was having fun playing mean bean machine and golden axe online with a friend from the netherlands (I'm in the US) mean bean had the lag spikes which made things kinda bad at times but we still had fun and golden axe actually ran fine. Played Shinobi and didn't experience any of that input lag, there was some audio glitching at most but that's it.
This is my favorite way to play genesis games now and I'm an experienced retroarch user, the kicker being mod support and the inclusion of possible online mod support. Being able to play Sonic 3 Complete online would be a huge game changer for me.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I seriously had to pause the video. I simply could not bear to watch Streets of Rage running in such a fashion. It made my heart hurt.

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't this handled by the company that's handling the Shenmue ports? I guess I should start worrying. I can't imagine porting Shenmue is easier than porting some ancient Genesis games.

.hacked

Dec 10, 2017
Beat Golden Axe and Alien Storm, didn't notice anything wrong but I am playing on Xbox One X.

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Beat streets of rage while letting my brother shareplay last night. No slowdown and maybe one audio glitch. Had a great time and we are playing on ps4.

Didn't beat streets of rage 2 but it played great. I really only care about the streets of rage and golden ax series and they all seem to run fine on PS4.

Also the audio glitch we heard might of been in the original sega. We did a two person combo and hit someone very fast and the audio glitches. I could of sworn that used to happen on my old genesis

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I'm still tempted just to have the JPN version of Alien Soldier on console, something Nintendo and Steam amazingly cannot offer me. The EU version is trash.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Jim, a Brit, using the FORBIDDEN name for the console!?

T1BAUz9lcQ3cmNtwGGse1nHHroo=.gif

That being said, the thing that bothers me most is that there's no proper pixel scaling mode for if you want to play fullscreen.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I've complained enough in the OT, but the stuttering and input lag is horrible, especially in online multiplayer. If you play this with a friend, use shareplay. No joke, shareplay works much better and is at least playable.