• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Set aside some time today to give this thing its paces in the best way I know how: gonna do a livestream let's play of Sonic CD in just a few moments. I'll post a stream link when it's up.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
So, do I have to get all files into bin/cue or what? It doesn't recognize a single iso...
EDIT: ok, it does play bin/cue, but WHY doesn't it play any music??? it is already in .wav, the mega sg is set in enable cd music (as the mega sd manual says..)...help? please?

Last edited:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Well, this is my fault but I'm extremely unhappy with the mega sd and its creators. Right now I just have a very expensive flashcart, and while it loads mega cd games, I get no music whatsoever. Luckily the manual itself is very helpful and simply says NOTHING at all about supported music formats or distribution. What is very odd is, some games do not have audio tracks, yet still have no music.

Very, very upset about this pitiful product and its lackluster support. Regretting having spent money.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is my fault but I'm extremely unhappy with the mega sd and its creators. Right now I just have a very expensive flashcart, and while it loads mega cd games, I get no music whatsoever. Luckily the manual itself is very helpful and simply says NOTHING at all about supported music formats or distribution. What is very odd is, some games do not have audio tracks, yet still have no music.

Very, very upset about this pitiful product and its lackluster support. Regretting having spent money.

Are you playing on an Analogue Mega SG? Because if so, you have to manually set the Mega SG to allow audio passthrough. It's in the audio options menu of the Mega SG. The music you are hearing is PCM, the audio passthrough option allows CDDA to be played over the in-game sound effects. Just check it once and leave it checked.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I have the "enable cd audio" on, the automatically play cd off (as the manual says) and cdda treble boost on, and I get no music. I have the mega sg jailbroken.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Are you playing on an Analogue Mega SG? Because if so, you have to manually set the Mega SG to allow audio passthrough. It's in the audio options menu of the Mega SG. The music you are hearing is PCM, the audio passthrough option allows CDDA to be played over the in-game sound effects. Just check it once and leave it checked.
I don't know, I've tried all the (very few) things the manual suggests, re-ripped, changed formats, edited .cue, re-installed original Mega SG firmware, and it just doesn't play ANY music whatsoever. Asking for a refund, but as expected from tax dodgers, they just won't reply. Extremely disappointed.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I've tried all the (very few) things the manual suggests, re-ripped, changed formats, edited .cue, re-installed original Mega SG firmware, and it just doesn't play ANY music whatsoever. Asking for a refund, but as expected from tax dodgers, they just won't reply. Extremely disappointed.

I assume you've updated to the latest Mega SD firmware? (the cart, not the console)

I'm still awaiting mine so can't do any hands-on testing at the moment.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Aye, everything. It works as an everdrive, loads mega cd games, has soundFX...just not a damn music file.
Assume you are happy with the CD bios files?
Assume each Mega CD game set of bin and cue files is in its own individual folder?
Have you checked the content of the CUE file in notepad? You need to check the .wav file names are exactly correct and in standard double quotes (the vertically straight ones, I've seen systems encode the wrong type of quotes that show as diagonal lines)
Assume you don't have a real Mega CD console plugged in to the Mega SG?

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
Aye, everything. It works as an everdrive, loads mega cd games, has soundFX...just not a damn music file.
Do you have multiple .bin files for each game? I had issues with emulators doing something similar, where I would get SFX but no Music. You could try and combine the .bin files into one, and generate a fresh .cue file for it.

ISO buster should allow you to load the existing .cue file and then extract the existing .bin files into one combined .bin.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Assume you are happy with the CD bios files?
Assume each Mega CD game set of bin and cue files is in its own individual folder?
Have you checked the content of the CUE file in notepad? You need to check the .wav file names are exactly correct and in standard double quotes (the vertically straight ones, I've seen systems encode the wrong type of quotes that show as diagonal lines)
Assume you don't have a real Mega CD console plugged in to the Mega SG?
Checked every single .cue (i had to convert the iso anyway), put every game in its own folder (else games wouldn't run at all), don't have a mega cd...weird part is, even games which DON'T have its ost in .wav won't run any music, which would make me think it's the mega sg settings if I hadn't already changed them...

If anyone has a mega sg + mega sd, would you mind posting your exact settings/file structure etc? This is really pissing me off, and the company isn't responding...

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Do you have multiple .bin files for each game? I had issues with emulators doing something similar, where I would get SFX but no Music. You could try and combine the .bin files into one, and generate a fresh .cue file for it.

ISO buster should allow you to load the existing .cue file and then extract the existing .bin files into one combined .bin.
Everything in its own folder, it does have .iso, .bin and .cue, one of each.

May 24, 2019
It's unintuitive, but I think you have to uncheck the SG from playing CD audio. I'll take a picture of my settings in a sec.

edit: Here we go: Uncheck 'automatically enable CD audio'. I'm guessing it's because it's not actually a Mega CD using the expansion port, so the auto function doesn't pick it up.
n4ZuX3x.jpg

Use Terraonion's Discord or forums to ask about problems. They're pretty helpful unless it's about shipping.

Last edited:

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Checked every single .cue (i had to convert the iso anyway), put every game in its own folder (else games wouldn't run at all), don't have a mega cd...weird part is, even games which DON'T have its ost in .wav won't run any music, which would make me think it's the mega sg settings if I hadn't already changed them...

If anyone has a mega sg + mega sd, would you mind posting your exact settings/file structure etc? This is really pissing me off, and the company isn't responding...

And one final thing in the SD instructions that I haven't seen you mention yet - assume you've done this?

"Then, in the options menu on the MegaSD cart, make sure "Game Load Reset Type" is set to HARD."

May 24, 2019
You're not using rips with compressed MP3s, right? I don't think those work. Images should be bin/cue, 300mb-400mb per disk.
I've PMed you some help.

Last edited:

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered on 5th September and got my package in transit email today (3rd October) in case that helps anyone with expected timings.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Guess who else is working on one of these?

I'd rather support krikzz than Terraonion so this is nice. It won't be implemented on any existing Mega EverDrive, it'll be the Mega EverDrive PRO.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It does say CD data streams so I don't think that includes the extra processing it would do, but I hope it does.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Guess who else is working on one of these?

I'd rather support krikzz than Terraonion so this is nice. It won't be implemented on any existing Mega EverDrive, it'll be the Mega EverDrive PRO.

Already have the MegaSD but I don't blame you. Also, he offers his product through Amazon now. No shipping fiascos.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I hadn't replied, yes I tried it and still doesn't get any music. FMV games work without issue and I can hear some music (altho to be sure I don't remember if they had music during gameplay), but in any other game I just hear the soundFX.

Did you get any further in the end? Mine arrived today and I thought i had the same issue but managed to sort it.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017

I am a huge fan of John's work but I was really hoping for a proper deep dive, traditional DF Retro Episode instead of another sit down "shoot the shit" video with Audi. I'm sure it's easier to produce (and frankly I already own a Mega SD) but I crave the more docu-style DF Retro episodes over these which I usually just end up tuning out on.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
I am a huge fan of John's work but I was really hoping for a proper deep dive, traditional DF Retro Episode instead of another sit down "shoot the shit" video with Audi. I'm sure it's easier to produce (and frankly I already own a Mega SD) but I crave the more docu-style DF Retro episodes over these which I usually just end up tuning out on.
One of the reason's for these "shoot the shit" videos is that I did several trips down to John's place this fall to help him produce larger proper DFRetro episodes to load up for 2020. The production on those episodes require a ton of work, and with the demands of DF's regular schedule it proved pretty hard for him to do it all alone this year so I been offering to take on some of the workload to help DFRetro bounce back next year. We shot these reviews in between productions so that he can still put out some videos.

Hopefully you'll be happy with the output again.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Truth is, did the Mega SD need another "deep dive" after the MLiG one? I enjoyed today's DF video.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
One of the reason's for these "shoot the shit" videos is that I did several trips down to John's place this fall to help him produce larger proper DFRetro episodes to load up for 2020. The production on those episodes require a ton of work, and with the demands of DF's regular schedule it proved pretty hard for him to do it all alone this year so I been offering to take on some of the workload to help DFRetro bounce back next year. We shot these reviews in between productions so that he can still put out some videos.

Hope there is some good shit comin'. I adore those "documentary"-type videos, they always made my sundays.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017

Great to hear. I certainly hope my previous post didn't come off as outright ungrateful of the content though I may have come off overly harsh in tone. I realize the work that goes into those proper episodes can be tough and damned time consuming. I do enjoy a good "Lets Play" video every now and again (the recent Phillips one was good stuff by the way).

The docu-style DF Retro episodes/reviews have always stood out as unique in a large pool of typical YouTube gaming content though and it's why I so look forward to them and I appreciate the work both you and John are putting in to bring more of them our way.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ordered one last week, and got it yesterday. Spent the night setting it up (also updated Mega Sg's firmware to minimize issues). Played a little bit of the Unworked Popful Mail hack. No issues, and looks great on my TV.