• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
super_sd_system_3-pc_engine.jpg

The ultimate accessory for Genesis/Mega Drive. Complete FPGA recreation of the entire Mega-CD/Sega CD hardware into a plug and play Cartridge
World's First Mega-CD/Sega CD FPGA Optical Disc Emulator
• Plays both ISOS (bin+cue) and ROMS

• RAM based cartridge for instant boot

• Compatible with all original and region free patched Mega-CD / Sega CD bios

• Supports Megadrive / Genesis, Sega CD / Mega-CD, Master System and 32X games (requires 32X add-on)

Fully Supports original Megadrive and Genesis hardware (Nomad included)

• Fully compatible with Analogue Mega Sg!

• Easy to use interface for navigating your collection with screenshots, genre, year and description

• Save State support for Megadrive and Genesis Cartridge games (8 slots)

• Built in cheat engine for Megadrive and Genesis cartridge games

• Emulates all different Genesis / Mega Drive / Master System / 32x cartridge mappers.

• Stores all different Genesis / Mega Drive / Master System / 32x cartridge saves into microsd card.

• Per game Mega-CD / Sega CD Backup RAM and Cartridge RAM stored into microsd card

• Master System FM Core

• In-Game menu for fast reboot and swapping games (Genesis / Megadrive and Mega-CD / Sega CD)

Enhanced Mega Drive games with CD audio and Mega-CD / Sega CD hardware (MSU1 like)

• 400GB Exfat microsd supported

NOTICE : This item starts shipping first week of August 2019 by strict purchase order, shipping times will depend on sales volumes

Having alternatives to aging disc drives for retro consoles is a huge win. While they are an incredibly "premium" product it's an essential development for preserving games on actual hardware beyond the wear and tear of optical media.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
that price makes me weep but good lord do i want one

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Holy shit at that price.

But I want one for some weird reason. Mainly because my Sega CD drive died. It would also help preserve against disc rot.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered, and yes it does work with Analogue Mega SG. This will put my Sega CD top loader to bed lol. It's had a long life.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Say, did Compile's Japan-exclusive Mega CD Shadowrun game ever get an English patch? Would love to play fan translations on this thing.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Woah I did not see this coming. This is a much more complicated engineering feat than the Super SD System 3.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
So before I plunk down bank for this...

Would this be technically achievable on the Mega Sg given the current hardware? Or is this only achievable because it's a standalone FPGA in a cart? Because if the same ISO capabilities could be unlocked with firmware, I'd rather save $250...

Two more questions...

1. Does this require a separate power source?
2. Any chance a US distributor gets a hold of these so I don't have to order from Europe?

And one more

3. So this basically replaces a Mega Everdrive, right? In addition to it being able to play Sega CD ISOs?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

Would this be technically achievable on the Mega Sg given the current hardware? Or is this only achievable because it's a standalone FPGA in a cart? Because if the same ISO capabilities could be unlocked with firmware, I'd rather save $250...

Two more questions...

1. Does this require a separate power source?
2. Any chance a US distributor gets a hold of these so I don't have to order from Europe?

And one more

3. So this basically replaces a Mega Everdrive, right? In addition to it being able to play Sega CD ISOs?
No. The Mega Sg won't have Sega CD support. No it doesn't need a separate power source, and StoneAgeGamer said he will be selling them, just no real time frame of when.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Will buy this when I get a good job. It justifies the price for the games and console attachment today with insane prices. In it for Snatcher, Lunar and Shining Force games.

As I grew up as a Nintendo fanboy, these releases and preservation makes me excited. Got an original Genesis with good sound and picture output.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
That price is outrageous. I could just get a Genesis with all the attachments for less than that.

But then you'd have to deal with aging hardware, replacement parts and service costs. Good luck keeping a Sega CD functional for very long, Model 1 or Model 2. When you are dealing with lasers and spinning drives, they have finite lives.

This may cost you the same, but would last much longer. As long as the power consumption from the cart isn't something that would put undue stress on real Genesis/MD hardware.

EDIT:

Looking good!

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It took them several iterations to get the SSD3 right. I'm holding off.

Also rather buy from Stone Age Gamer.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

No this is not feasible on the Mega Sg itself because there simply isn't enough room on the FPGA for both Genesis and Sega CD

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Are there any games actually worth buying it for?

good Lord

yes

the shmups (Robo Aleste, Silpheed) and RPGs (Lunar 1 & 2, Vay, Shining Force CD) alone are enough to justify playing a Sega CD, not to mention all the other cool stuff like SoulStar, Snatcher, Sonic CD, Popful Mail, the best versions of Earthworm Jim, NHL '94 and Final Fight, the list goes on

[edit] I'm not done; Keio Flying Squadron, Batman Returns, Heart of the Alien (with the original as well as the sequel exclusively!), AH-3 Thunderstrike, the only version of Wing Commander with voice acting and the original graphics...

Last edited:

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Bought one, I admit I've done it partially as a space saver hah. Got a Mega CD plugged into my Analogue on top of my display unit and wanna move stuff back down a few shelves. Super excited.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
No this is not feasible on the Mega Sg itself because there simply isn't enough room on the FPGA for both Genesis and Sega CD

Yeah, the Sega CD has an additional 68000 CPU at 12MHz, an ASIC core that handles Super scaler-like sprite scaling, and two flat 3D (mode 7) playingfields. Plus the system has an 8-channel PCM audio chip. Those extra components plus the Genesis hardware is a bit much for the Mega Sg FPGA.

robert_prado

Jan 26, 2019
YES!!!
My SEGA CD stopped working almost a year ago, this is the perfect solution. My PS1 with PS-IO and now this... Cant wait!

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything mentioned about the few games that support both the 32X and the Sega CD, though, so that's a good question.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Kinda interested in this. I have a Sega CD but it's often very finicky when reading disks. I've found that ripping my games with a modern computer optical drive usually succeeds without errors whereas the slightest scratch will render SegaCD and Dreamcast games unplayable in the actual consoles. Maybe mine are just particularly bad though. I don't have this problem with the Saturn. Not nearly as bad, anyway.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
They should have gone one step further and made it a complete stand alone system.

That would have to sell it at a ridiculous price if it was a stand alone system. All Sega CD games require the Genesis/ Mega Drive hardware as well. The price would make it more expensive than the Mega SG. I think this works best as an add-on for the moment.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
That would have to sell it at a ridiculous price if it was a stand alone system. All Sega CD games require the Genesis/ Mega Drive hardware as well. The price would make it more expensive than the Mega SG. I think this works best as an add-on for the moment.

Well we are looking into 550USD right now for the MegaSD + MegaSG.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see anything mentioned about the few games that support both the 32X and the Sega CD, though, so that's a good question.
There are six games, and they said in the video that the MegaSD can be plugged into the expansion slot, with an adapter they might make, to support those games.