• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
They need to stop remastering all these absolute bangers faster than I can play them. Between Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, the Yakuza Remastered Collection and Bayonetta + Vanquish I've been having a hard time trying to make time for new releases.

RGG's output for this gen has been insane too, since 2017 we've been getting multiple games per year released in the west. It's a far cry from petitioning for Yakuza 5 to be localised years after its Japanese release.

Apr 21, 2018
I like football manager.
I like:

Alien Isolation
Valkyria Chronicles
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Yakuza
Sonic Mania
PSO2
Sega Ages
Persona
Bayonetta/Vanquish Remaster
and I'm looking forward to playing Re Fantasy, Alien Isolation team new project, new Nagoshi games.
But yeah as a fanboy i'm probably dreaming since Sega only releases Total War and Yakuza games, Metacritic is corrupted writing they have more "distinct outputs than any other publishers" and Atlus is not a Sega Studio. :)

Marano
Don't worry, it was a wink to the previous page. Nothing to do with you :)

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've been super happy with Sega this generation. It's just a shame some of these games haven't received the success I think they deserved (VC4 in particular).

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Um...idk. I liked Super Monkey Ball 1/2 and SA 2/Sonic Heroes. Wish they would do more games like that.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a sega fanboy and love what they do.

That being said I would love for them use more of the IPs they have.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Love Sega. Always loved them and at the moment they are on fire again.
Long my it continue.

All we need now is Outrun 3 or maybe another Sega Rally. :)

Apr 21, 2018
Love Sega. Always loved them and at the moment they are on fire again.
Long my it continue.

All we need now is Outrun 3 or maybe another Sega Rally. :)
On PS360 there were too many New IPs or simple ports of the usual oldies but not enough revivals or sequels of classics.

In 2020, I think Sega's outputs are much more balanced with two expensive New projects from Sega West (The Creative Assembly) and the co-production from Sega of Japan (Atlus, Studio Zero and Sega CS1). Meanwhile, all branches are developing, publishing,licensing sequels, revival of old games like Panzer Dragoon VR, HOD Scarlet, (or ports of very rare games like Yuyu Hakusho, Motor Raid, Herzog Zwei)

sega-haruki-satomi.jpg

Big New IPs, good old ports,revivals, very high metacritic scores overall, Haruki Satomi is pushing Sega in a promising direction.New projects are pretty much coming from everywhere : Sega Ages, World premiere conversions in Yakuza game centers(Motor Raid) in house games (Sakura/HOD/ChuChu), japanese indies from old Sega(Grounding) western developers et cetera.
I don't think he will save Sonic but it's hard to deny he is doing a solid job for the brand.(these Sega Shiro CM are awesome, 400% approved by Segata)

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I do think they're typically underrated because I don't think a lot of console players are aware of their PC output (which granted is weird to think about for a former console maker).

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
I think of Sega as a great publisher, but I had a real hard time trying to think of what Sega had actually produced this generation. I guess I always forget to lump Atlus in with Sega - I'm not big of JRPGs but obviously you have to give them props for their success in that genre.

Apart from that:

I like Yakuza, but, being at about chapter 10 of Kiwami 1 and looking down the barrel of 9 other 40+ hour games, is kind of scary.
Alien Isolation was good.
I've just started playing Hatsune Miku and will try out the Valkyria games soon.

Apart from that, I'm just not seeing a lot more to love from them. I don't know - traditionally I think a major publisher should have a balanced line up - A racing game, a shooter, a tent-pole action adventure, a big rpg, survial horror, mascot platformer etc - for Sega these days, they seem to be strong in certain areas, but not covering others.

Apr 21, 2018
I think of Sega as a great publisher, but I had a real hard time trying to think of what Sega had actually produced this generation. I guess I always forget to lump Atlus in with Sega - I'm not big of JRPGs but obviously you have to give them props for their success in that genre.

Apart from that:

I like Yakuza, but, being at about chapter 10 of Kiwami 1 and looking down the barrel of 9 other 40+ hour games, is kind of scary.
I've just started playing Hatsune Miku and will try out the Valkyria games soon.

Apart from that, I'm just not seeing a lot more to love from them. I don't know - traditionally I think a major publisher should have a balanced line up - A racing game, a shooter, a tent-pole action adventure, a big rpg, survial horror, mascot platformer etc - for Sega these days, they seem to be strong in certain areas, but not covering others.
Since all previous racing experiments bombed hard on PS2 or PS3(Sega Rally Revo, Outrun 2006) i think Sega has a trauma on this area.

They still produce the type of games you are mentioning but they are stuck in the arcade or not localyzed. (Sega World Drivers, for instance) Yup, we need more Sega stuffs in the west :)
Same story for big RPGs, they crashed on PS3 (Resonance of Fate, Alpha Protocol or Sands of Destruction on DS).
But Sega will co develop another big one with Atlus, same for the UK FPS incoming...

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I prefer Sega's output as a publisher now over when they made consoles. But it's a shame that so many of their games are still locked to a single platform.

Ninetiesboy

Oct 27, 2017
When i was in japan they had a lo of dope shit in the arcades no one talks about in the west. The mecha game above was one but there was a weird touch screen fairy tale themed DOTA like arcade game and some dope rhythm games too.

Yeah, in Tokyo the arcades are full of really cool Sega rhythm games that people seem to be obsessed with! I was very pleasantly suprised.

Ninetiesboy

Oct 27, 2017
Also, let's not forget about the incredible Sega Ages ports on Switch. Plus the Megadrive/Genesis Mini that was really good too!

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
Since all previous racing experiments bombed hard on PS2 or PS3(Sega Rally Revo, Outrun 2006) i think Sega has a trauma on this area.

They still produce the type of games you are mentioning but they are stuck in the arcade or not localyzed. (Sega World Drivers, for instance) Yup, we need more Sega stuffs in the west :)
Same story for big RPGs, they crashed on PS3 (Resonance of Fate, Alpha Protocol or Sands of Destruction on DS).
But Sega will co develop another big one with Atlus, same for the UK FPS incoming...

So is Sega World Drivers any good? It's a new one on me - I had a look at some videos and it looks like a cross between Sega Rally and traditional track racer. I'd be worried that arcade style racing on circuits doesn't really work (in the West at least) as people are more used to the Forza/Turismo more simulation (but not fully) racing. The most recent Grid had this problem.

What's the UK FPS?

I think maybe Sega really always struggled to get their games out of that arcade mindset - Outrun 2006 is a great game, but even as PS2 game it felt arcady compared with say what the Need for Speed games were doing with their open world racing. They had a go at making Shinobia and Golden Axe more modern 3D games and it didn't take. They've just released Streets of Rage 4 but I guess that's very much a throwback release. They've really struggled since the 7th gen to launch a hugely successful new franchise in the West - I guess SMT/Persona in the last few years is the nearest they've come.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They've been great this gen but I already don't like their (apparent) approach to next gen with next gen version of Yakuza going exclusive to XSX.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
sega is an old name in the industry now, theres going to be dips in their portfoilo you can debate about given that time... when you consider the large changes the company has faced at different times in its history and having to rebuild itself, they have one of the best catalogs in the industry.

Apr 21, 2018
So is Sega World Drivers any good? It's a new one on me - I had a look at some videos and it looks like a cross between Sega Rally and traditional track racer. I'd be worried that arcade style racing on circuits doesn't really work (in the West at least) as people are more used to the Forza/Turismo more simulation (but not fully) racing. The most recent Grid had this problem.

What's the UK FPS?

I think maybe Sega really always struggled to get their games out of that arcade mindset - Outrun 2006 is a great game, but even as PS2 game it felt arcady compared with say what the Need for Speed games were doing with their open world racing. They had a go at making Shinobia and Golden Axe more modern 3D games and it didn't take. They've just released Streets of Rage 4 but I guess that's very much a throwback release. They've really struggled since the 7th gen to launch a hugely successful new franchise in the West - I guess SMT/Persona in the last few years is the nearest they've come.

Sega World Drivers is made by Kenji Sasaki.(director of Sega Rally 95)
The UK FPS is the largest project ever produced by Sega West.(Creative Assembly)

I completely agree with you. Sega struggles to produce a massively successfull New IP.
After Alien Isolation, i think the future sci fi immersive FPS will be the last throw from Sega West... If it bombs again, we'll eat some total War until the end of Time.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

Apart from that:

Is that really the case nowadays? Ubisoft is pretty much the only publishers that comes to mind that really tries to cover a bit of everything on every platform. They have everything from niche strategy games to MP shooters to sprawling action adventures. The others tend to focus on a handfull of core franchises and genres in which they are already sucessfull.

Among Japan, Europe and Atlus, Sega covers a pretty broad array of genres.

Sega World Drivers is made by Kenji Sasaki.(director of Sega Rally 95)
The UK FPS is the largest project ever produced by Sega West.(Creative Assembly)

I completely agree with you. Sega struggles to produce a massively successfull New IP.
After Alien Isolation, i think the future sci fi immersive FPS will be the last throw from Sega West... If it bombs again, we'll eat some total War until the end of Time.

I don't get this, Sega west is pretty sucessful with a wide array of strategy games, not just total war. Relic is developping Age of Empires 4!

That FPS is not a make it or break it situation for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Their PC output is truly incredible. I have yet to play Total War: Three Kingdoms, but Total Warhammer is so amazing. Two Point Hospital is legit great. I'm also really interested in Mankind.

They've been great this gen but I already don't like their (apparent) approach to next gen with next gen version of Yakuza going exclusive to XSX.

I doubt it will be Series X exclusive. PS5 just didn't have a proper reveal yet.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as japanese companies go, Sega's PC output has always been pretty incredible. They were, for a very long time, the only major japanese company to have a dedicated PC brand. like, talking all the way back in the 1980's, then again in the early 90's.

EXee2RmXkAIHUrg

Their mid 90's PC ports were, for the time, outstanding. They even developed their own API to facilitate their PC ports, before DirectX was a thing, called DINO. It's what Ecco the Dolphin, Comix Zone, and Sonic CD run off. They also supported dedicated 3D accelerators in games like Virtua Fighter, Virtua Squad, Daytona USA, and Panzer Dragoon before games like Quake or even before the Voodoo cards were a thing.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, regarding RTS games, sega owns Technosoft, which was a pioneer in the genre with Herzog Zwei. They should let CA or Relic try their hand at making a new Herzog game IMO. when selling their catelog to sega, the former president of Technosoft said that he decided to sell to Sega because he was most interested in seeing Technosoft continue to exist, and felt that Sega was the only company which would keep their catelog around. Since then, Sega has integrated Thunder Force into their Sega Ages line of games, essentially proving him right.

Last edited:

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
Is that really the case nowadays? Ubisoft is pretty much the only publishers that comes to mind that really tries to cover a bit of everything on every platform. They have everything from niche strategy games to MP shooters to sprawling action adventures. The others tend to focus on a handfull of core franchises and genres in which they are already sucessfull.

Funnily enough, I cited Ubisoft as one of my favourite publisher this gen on another thread earlier today for precisely that reason.

It's certainly true that this universal coverage is becoming increasingly less common - you could argue that EA still covers shooting, racing, RPG, sports but even then their output is dwindling and has been poor this gen. Actually, Square-Enix seems to be the other main publisher that's pretty solid in this area - Avengers, Tropico, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Just Cause and of course all their JRPG stuff. - they also apparently publish the Milestone racing games which I wasn't aware of.

Maybe it's just a personal thing, but last generation Sega had Sega Rally, Virtua-Fighter, Condemned, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Virtua-Tennis, Sonic Racing Transformed and probably a whole bunch of other stuff I've forgotten. If I listed my top 50 titles this generation, I'm not sure how many of them would be Sega games, but definitely fewer.

LexiStarrDust

Mar 31, 2019
They still do cynical region locking in Australia, so no fuck Sega.
Like, modern PS4, XBONE, Switch and such games are region locked by them? O_O

Also I love Sega for their back catalog... and wish they would actually release something other than the same Genesis games over and over again. I LOVE the Sega Genesis, but I own these games several times over, and they keep dangling the idea of putting out Saturn and Dreamcast games... and then usually never do. I foresee barely any games of either system for their Sega Ages line despite them suggesting it, just like Sega Forever.

Apr 25, 2020
Like, modern PS4, XBONE, Switch and such games are region locked by them? O_O

Also I love Sega for their back catalog... and wish they would actually release something other than the same Genesis games over and over again. I LOVE the Sega Genesis, but I own these games several times over, and they keep dangling the idea of putting out Saturn and Dreamcast games... and then usually never do. I foresee barely any games of either system for their Sega Ages line despite them suggesting it, just like Sega Forever.

I'm sorry I should have clarified, I'm talking about PC specifically. Aussies can't buy Steam games off say GreenManGaming or CDKeys for example because Sega region lock the codes. Bethesda are the same.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ive been a huge SEGA fanboy since I was a kid but my biggest complaint is how they treat Sonic.

Give Sonic Team an actual budget again holy shit its been like 12 years since Unleashed.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yep, one of my favorites right now and I wasnt even a fan of sonic or their other stuff prior to now, I just love them as a company that bring us games(specially PC)

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's staggering how many Sega games I've purchased this generation. My Switch has not every single Sega release, but close. My Xbone has lot of last-gen Sonic plus PSO 2; PS4 has Yakuza.

Capcom and Sega ought to team up to revive Power Stone with the Sonic/Sega brand and the Capcom/Mega Man brand (with Mario etc as cameo) as a more Capcom/Sega-style arcade version of a mascot fighting game.

Power Stone 2 rocked and it's still a great concept, perfect for online multiplayer and the age of Fortnite

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
SEGA is pretty great, but I think they could be doing a lot more. Sonic is in dire straits, many of their biggest franchises are tied to a single platform, a large catalog of IP are just sitting in their vault while some are arguably being used too much (most recently Yakuza, which is even a series that I love). For every Sonic Mania there's a Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD. I love SEGA, but I could definitely love them more.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Sega was a trash publisher once they got out of the console industry and was merged with Sammy Corporation.

It wasn't until the acquisition of Index Corporation (and Atlus) that the company realised that Japanese games that are not titled Sonic have profitability. Also, they were notorious for poor quality management until Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric failed spectacularly.

Yeah it's kind of nuts. It's them and Square-Enix that got weirdly big in western games.

That's because both companies purchased western developer and publisher companies to diversify their portfolio.

Square Enix bought Eidos Interactive and made it Square Enix Europe and Sega acquired Creative Assembly, Relic Entertainment, Amplitude Studios and Sports Interactive and got Sega Europe to manage those subsidiaries output.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I find the lack of endless space and two hospital disturbing!

I think it is the only major publisher that I buy from every year

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Where's more Skies of Arcadia sega?! Give me back my sky pirates damn you!

Sega is great, but it's up there with Capcom and Konami for publishers with great IPs they just leave fuckin' dead when they could make a bunch of ports and bathe in money.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
They are consistently one of my favorite companies over their vast IPs and gameplay styles, from their console days until now.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sega was a trash publisher once they got out of the console industry and was merged with Sammy Corporation.

It wasn't until the acquisition of Index Corporation (and Atlus) that the company realised that Japanese games that are not titled Sonic have profitability. Also, they were notorious for poor quality management until Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric failed spectacularly.

To be fair to recent Sega, I wouldn't say that they've had that great management during their console days either (especially Sega of Japan)

These days they're OK, definitely bigger than niche but not anywhere near the big third party publishers.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I woudn't say they were trash, just all over the place.

Sega was awful during the 2000s. Outside of Sonic, nothing they created had worldwide marketing appeal or relevance.

Quality control was an afterthought, it's partially the reason why people were clamouring for Sega of old to come back.

To be fair to recent Sega, I wouldn't say that they've had that great management during their console days either (especially Sega of Japan)

These days they're OK, definitely bigger than niche but not anywhere near the big third-party publishers.

The conflict between Sega of Japan and Sega of America was problematic during their hardware days, but that can be blamed to their former parent company CSK Corporation for being too stubborn to not consider external partnerships when they had the chance.

The Sega of today is a AAA publisher in the same vein as Capcom, Bandai Namco and Square Enix. I don't know where the myth of them being more niche comes from because that was never the case especially now that they own Atlus and all its intellectual properties.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Sega was awful during the 2000s. Outside of Sonic, nothing they created had worldwide marketing appeal or relevance.

Quality control was an afterthought, it's partially the reason why people were clamouring for Sega of old to come back.

The conflict between Sega of Japan and Sega of America was problematic during their hardware days, but that can be blamed to their former parent company CSK Corporation for being too stubborn to not consider external partnerships when they had the chance.

The Sega of today is a AAA publisher in the same vein as Capcom, Bandai Namco and Square Enix. I don't know where the myth of them being more niche comes from because that was never the case especially now that they own Atlus and all its intellectual properties.

Awful is different. That would imply that they only released bad games or that they never attempted worldwide relevance. They had lot of good games on PS2, Gamecube and Xbox in the early 2000's. Super Monkey Ball, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shinobi, Virtua Fighter 4. Afterwards they had a few really well done western projects like Sega Rally Revo or Condemned, and Japanese IP like Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, VF5 and Bayonetta (granted that was in tall end of 09).

Really, I don't think Sega has changed that much from the 00's to the 10's. Sure, they made a promise to not deliver red metactitic contenders like Sonic Boom and Alien: Colonial Marines, but that is kinda it. They still have released rather middling contenders where people have been dissapointed like Sonic Forces, Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD and Valkyria Revolution. In that regard, Sega has not changed yet. They always released good games, and middling games and sometimes bad games. However the later two happen more rarely, and bad games have not been an issue now.

Sega is not AAA, and are more on the same boat as Bandai Namco. Also the idea that Atlus makes Sega AAA is weird. If anything, the purchase of Atlus is an admit of defeat for Sega that they will not be able to compete with the big boys, and rather stay in the niche. Atlus is still niche and small. They have only about 150 employees and it was only this month that they actually released a game with additional european languages (Persona 5 Royal).

Last edited:

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Awful is different. That would imply that they only released bad games or that they never attempted worldwide relevance. They had lot of good games on PS2, Gamecube and Xbox in the early 2000's. Super Monkey Ball, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shinobi, Virtua Fighter 4. Afterwards they had a few really well done western projects like Sega Rally Revo or Condemned, and Japanese IP like Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, VF5 and Bayonetta (granted that was in tall end of 09).

Really, I don't think Sega has changed that much from the 00's to the 10's. Sure, they made a promise to not deliver red metactitic contenders like Sonic Boom and Alien: Colonial Marines, but that is kinda it. They still have released rather middling contenders where people have been dissapointed like Sonic Forces, Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD and Valkyria Revolution. In that regard, Sega has not changed yet. They always released good games, and middling games and sometimes bad games. However the later two happen more rarely, and bad games have not been an issue now.

Sega is not AAA, and are more on the same boat as Bandai Namco. Also the idea that Atlus makes Sega AAA is weird. If anything, the purchase of Atlus is an admit of defeat for Sega that they will not be able to compete with the big boys, and rather stay in the niche. Atlus is still niche and small. They have only about 150 employees and it was only this month that they actually released a game with additional european languages (Persona 5 Royal).

Okay, so I may have exaggerated Sega's quality control during the 2000s but it's evident that it was a huge problem for Sega back then. Their games just didn't have the staying power or the cultural relevance that their competitors had during that era. Shinobi and Virtua Fighter are classic Sega intellectual properties, but who's exactly reminiscing about their PlayStation entries in this day and age? they're barely talked about.

I can understand your perspective regarding Sega's output during the 2000s, but I still feel you completely miss the mark regarding Sega's power and influence in the gaming industry. Sega didn't acquire Atlus because they couldn't maintain relevance in the industry, they acquired Atlus because of Index Corporation being involved in fraudulent activity that forced them to file for bankruptcy. That's not a loss, that's a win especially when you consider that there's little overlap between Sega and Atlus alongside the latter utilising the former's distribution system.

Bandai Namco is also a AAA studio, I don't know why you think the company that owns Pac-Man, Tekken, Tales, Dark Souls etc. isn't?

Apr 21, 2018
I'm not interested by Sakura wars but i would kill for a Remake of Skies of Arcadia with this kind of production value.(if Sega wants to recycle assets to reduce Sakura's failure, i'm in).

Tetsuya Otsubo directed Sakura wars 2019 and Skies of arcadia Legend (not the dreamcast version)
Kenji Hirutz worked on Skies of Arcadia and is lobbying hard to convince Sega to dive again in this amazing universe.