• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
They have published such a wide array of games of different genre's and embrace PC gaming just as much as Console gaming; JRPGS, Real Time Strategies, Sport games. I hope it's paying off for them.

Total_War_Three_Kingdoms_cover_art.jpg

Company_of_Heroes_2_cover.jpeg

3168256-bayonish.png

220px-Valkyria_Chronicles_4.png

3133986-fm2020.jpg

3168041-swps4.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
They are now. There was absolutely a post-Dreamcast dark age when they finally started making games from the ground up again. But through some very smart acquisitions, they've really turned around.

Though it's kind of ironic that Sega is now more popular in Japan than America given how many Sega consoles didn't move the needle in Japan while becoming major sellers in the US.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah. They still have to fix their shit when it comes to Sonic, but their own output, plus Atlus, plus the licensing they do (SOR4, SC5VR, etc.) is great.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I've always been a big fan of them. I wish that they were still in the console business.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega's PC output (mostly their Euro division) is among the best in the industry.

Their Japanese output hinges pretty drastically on how much you like Yakuza.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I think their Japanese output is incredibly mediocre. Its like Yakuza is all they got thats quality. They let their freakin' mascot fall by the wayside.

Oct 26, 2017
Their Japanese output hinges pretty drastically on how much you like Yakuza.
I think their Japanese output is incredibly mediocre. Its like Yakuza is all they got thats quality. They let their freakin' mascot fall by the wayside.

The fact that they can't make a proper Sonic game and they had to rely to modders to have an actual good game is quite telling.
They are only good at making Yakuza games.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Sega's been flawless on the Yakuza publishing in the west this gen so I'll follow them to hell and back.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People don't realize, but they are also prolific publishers in japan. In japan, most western properties tend to be published by Japanese companies to help sales. Sega publishes a lot of things people don't realize, like much of EAs games over the years.

Example:

s-l640.jpg

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To throw their Japanese division a bone I'll admit that I really liked both Puyo Puyo Tetris and Valkyria Chronicles 4. They're still dangerously close to a one-trick pony with Yakuza.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sega also managed to put out a handful of Puyo Puyo games in the west for the first time since Fever a long long time ago.

Sega fucking rules right now. I bought Sakura Wars to support them bringing over more crazy stuff like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I am really happy with how they are right now. They are not perfect mind you but considering how close they were to going out of business a couple of decades ago, they are in a really good position.

Hopefully they keep on doing what they are doing.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Sega are the greatest. Their diversity of games is unmatched. Their continued survival is a blessing.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
I've been enjoying their output, watching them turn things around over the course of the last decade was great. Just get Sonic sorted into something exciting again from Sonic Team and I'll be very happy.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Yeah, we're back at a place where the Sega name has some cachet again, which I'm definitely happy about. Now if they could just get Sonic back on track -- Mania was a good start, but a really good non-retro Sonic would cement things.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird that the topic title is about Sega as a publisher, yet all the posts are about sega's internally developed projects.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Sega puts out a ton of great stuff these days. Excited to play Sakura Wars soon.

A large part of that for me is Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios. The revitalization of Yakuza in the West along with Judgment has been wonderful to see.

edit: almost forgot about their Fist of the North Star game. That was a lot of fun also.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
How can you forget the true MVP

NS.jpg

Sega is slowly becoming a cool company again. Wish they bring their RTS games to consoles next gen, or add controller support on PC, been wanting to play a good RTS from the comfort of my couch like the good days of Supreme Commander.

Also Hatsune Miku return when?

Apr 21, 2018
Not at all. Only the Sonic Team is mediocre (but ok with non Sonic IPs)

Sega of Japan is pretty solid actually and not all about Yakuza.
thumb-350-149413.jpg

House-of-the-Dead-Scarlet-Dawn-Marquee-1.png

JAEPO-2017-Soul-Reverse-Screenshot-3.jpg

SI_3DS_RhythmThiefAndTheEmperorsTreasure_deDE_image1600w.jpg

1537885506-5552-logo.jpg

SEGA-WORLD-DRIVERS-CHAMPIONSHIP_1-992x413.jpg

h1-933x445.jpg

(AM1 and AM2 rarely disapoint. The director of Sega Rally 95 is hidden behind one of these screens)
Sega can release even more diverse outputs but, hey, more than 50 New Sega IPs born and died during the last gen. (Players often have a Big mouth but a little Wallet...)
Give them a break.

According to persona central, Sega is funding and co developing RE Fantasy with Atlus.

Last edited:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
As someone that doesn't care at all for their strategy games and stuff they're pretty much just a Yakuza factory.
Easily the worst output of the big Japanese publishers this gen.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I mean yes but also no

A vast amount of their IP's are dead and buried just waiting for a chance in the limelight.

Where is my ChuChu Rocket? I have been asking for this since the XBLA era where it would have been a damn no brainer!

Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Tennis, Jet Set Radio..Outrun Arcade, Afterburner...

The list goes on and on

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
I mean yes but also no

A vast amount of their IP's are dead and buried just waiting for a chance in the limelight.

Where is my ChuChu Rocket? I have been asking for this since the XBLA era where it would have been a damn no brainer!

Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Tennis, Jet Set Radio..Outrun Arcade, Afterburner...

The list goes on and on
apps.apple.com

‎ChuChu Rocket! Universe

‎ChuChu Rocket! is back. Enjoy the revived SEGA hit game as it scurries its way into a series of mind-blowing 3D puzzles. With a quirky art style, cat and mouse pathfinding puzzles, and a universe full of strange and wonderful planets to explore and solve, ChuChu Rocket! Universe is a whole new...

Stuck on IOS devices, but it exists.(for Chuchu rocket that is)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I feel like I didn't realize this until recently.

I still wish they were a bit more active with their larger catalogue of IP but they're definitely not doing a bad job right now.

They do need to rein in the quality of the Sonic games. And if there is a PSO3 in the pipeline, I'm going to be more than a little frustrated if they completely pass over on the Western audience again — PSO2 isn't bad but I already played it via fan patches, but it does at least seem that the Xbox (and impending PC) release did at least land with an audience as far as I can tell.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I've really come around on Sega over the past few years. I like Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles quite a bit, and I'm greatly enjoying Sakura Wars at the moment. Puyo Puyo Tetris and Sonic Mania are also great.

My main hopes for Sega over the next few years is to finally find their footing with the Sonic franchise (lol) and to continue publishing RPGs. I'm a little worried since it doesn't seem like they've had a big hit with their RPGs in a while. Shining Resonance, Sakura Wars (not that the 2019 game is an RPG), and Valkyria Chronicles 4 have all been sales underperformers. Seems like all three franchises are on thin ice.

At least they have Yakuza as their rock, and they seem happy to lend their dormant IP's to other developers and publishers, which is pretty cool.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
apps.apple.com

‎ChuChu Rocket! Universe

‎ChuChu Rocket! is back. Enjoy the revived SEGA hit game as it scurries its way into a series of mind-blowing 3D puzzles. With a quirky art style, cat and mouse pathfinding puzzles, and a universe full of strange and wonderful planets to explore and solve, ChuChu Rocket! Universe is a whole new...

Stuck on IOS devices, but it exists.(for Chuchu rocket that is)

This is a huge problem. Stuck on IOS. LMAO. Xbla was blowing up around the Castle Crashers time and even before that, it as a inmense nobrainer to put this out on that system. For 10 bucks that shit would have sold like candy to a baby.

Why not put it on Xbox One/PS4/Steam/Android as well? Whats wrong with them

Even now, their others IP's are just dead. Waiting to be revived

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The entire Total War: Warhammer package is probably my game of the decade, so sure I agree. They have a bunch of great PC strategy titles.

Apr 21, 2018
This is a huge problem. Stuck on IOS. LMAO. Xbla was blowing up around the Castle Crashers time and even before that, it as a inmense nobrainer to put this out on that system. For 10 bucks that shit would have sold like candy to a baby.

Why not put it on Xbox One/PS4/Steam/Android as well? Whats wrong with them

Even now, their others IP's are just dead. Waiting to be revived
Because Apple paid for the exclusivity.

Their others IPs are being revived step by step, there are currently more than 10 projects done recently or scheduled for the next few years.

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
They shipped Sonic to Sega America after that Sonic Forces flop. The last main sonic game was 3 years ago.

The drought is real.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I just don't understand why they don't release their old arcade games or make remakes of them like the virtua racing one. I'd love to have all AM2 arcades on my switch. It's been ages since I played Sega rally or Daytona

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
That's because it's not one publisher, but several very, very different entities all operating as "Sega".

Sega of Europe is that one that does PC game ports and Football Simulators and RTS.

Sega proper in Japan does Yakuza.

Atlus does their own thing.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone will hate me for saying it but I much prefer the modern Sega output to the arcade style oriented Sega of the 80s and 90s.

But yes I too am waiting for more Skies of Arcadia. I'm fortunate enough to have a copy of SoA: Legends but it's over $150 on eBay right now and that's insanity.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
SEGA europe is a strategy powerhouse, since they own Amplitude, Creative Assembly, Relic, and recently the guys behind the hospital sim genre.

They are one of the biggest PC-centric pubs out there, on the same level as 2K with Firaxis, and Paradox.

And that fact meant that the Japanese division embraced the PC this gen, which is why most of SEGA's stuff gets a PC release these days.

Now, if only they could get Atlus on the same wavelength...

Oct 25, 2017
When i was in japan they had a lo of dope shit in the arcades no one talks about in the west. The mecha game above was one but there was a weird touch screen fairy tale themed DOTA like arcade game and some dope rhythm games too.