• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
If you have a Megadrive Mini, those controllers work.

As opposed to the Genesis Mini? I've just tested the 8Bitdo Genesis Mini controller, which includes both a 2.4GHz USB adapter and wired USB functionality, and neither work on the Astro City Mini. Nor do any of the Retrobit USB controllers I have lying around, nor do my old Xbox 360 or Xbox One pads. Gonna be interesting to see which third-party controllers wind up working on this.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
As opposed to the Genesis Mini? I've just tested the 8Bitdo Genesis Mini controller, which includes both a 2.4GHz USB adapter and wired USB functionality, and neither work on the Astro City Mini. Nor do any of the Retrobit USB controllers I have lying around, nor do my old Xbox 360 or Xbox One pads. Gonna be interesting to see which third-party controllers wind up working on this.

lol watch the neo mini controller works

catskratch

Oct 25, 2017
So great, I am so glad to have ordered one of these. Just finished a long overdue playthrough of Rad Mobile on the TV and now just messing around in VF.

jibQUx6JrV0c_xKIIzHPEY8qGbRaNQ39VR8ecGCC89GGRXm0l_9s63PxV5n0agXQnoF-BbSgj31-4jG8CFkOiHxK53tHBFR72rgq5JlXO0Cnp8dXJdv19Lc-J0v5WFjXDSWuRjNzh0wT47iN5anEsKHsXcY2AevdAYPaWWuZFqHWop_nBtSk1amaW9m7Bif-HpHSIsJe_NBzIHzvTKKY6asZl55MmLRobSIlQaEqVmqJxCDoBz1rivdgcWpk5K3KVOI8mCG6l39Tod0CUVkKO4AJEMdTemU3OmXUwzH1bymQyP8xz2qKVJXWUZiB_7RiAl65gwyPVllWU7MwYMovqQezF507YytEogYMrmJddxbos4f6T35PNGaF6V4wpOA3Ohn9ON0MTYPXZve9_E_Tx7oHt-bXsqawLiWtwfWN2zPJEELRGWcLxHUwaM_1gPmPiBn7p1Q3bL_ssPd9oLgA7EPpgtmdu-L2wZReQeS1OIg2mOWppnG-1xLvnEDmTNitUOTkkXdGcgXviaIuYgcRSkUAxa39BHCuM0BHcjfE0nv3VSjzw4J4CDuBnKv1ZZ9L3LHwlY9cdtIBb49fknqmTRxmn8SPGPrFeU3L8NoqOgVqATkmxh6RPknwy54gHQ-PQgB6QD6wU8mnAYTp2Fhd8Jz_mtHFfXJBEmkz04LrUi7KINQTIPZUYHAGEtOTN0E=w973-h1297-no

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
This machine was worth it for Rad Mobile alone, holy fuck. What an awesome game. (Works surprisingly well with the arcade stick, too)

It's not every day I get to play Sega games for the first time, so between that, Arabian Fight and Dark Edge, the last two hours have been euphoric, to say the least. Do we know who did the emulation for this yet? Given all of the arcade boards being emulated, I'm honestly shocked at how well everything seems to perform.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Okay..are there still orderable?

Everything is in stock still.

Amazon.co.jp: アストロシティミニ : Video Games

Amazon.co.jp: アストロシティミニ : Video Games

Amazon.co.jp: アストロシティミニ ゲームセンタースタイルキット : Video Games

Amazon.co.jp: アストロシティミニ ゲームセンタースタイルキット : Video Games

Amazon.co.jp: アストロシティミニ アーケードスティック : Video Games

Amazon.co.jp: アストロシティミニ アーケードスティック : Video Games

Amazon.co.jp: アストロシティミニ コントロールパッド : Video Games

Amazon.co.jp: アストロシティミニ コントロールパッド : Video Games

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Welp. My dhl status changed to exception. But still sys scheduled to be delivered an hour ago. I'm guessing the dream is over for tonight

Edit: Well, that kind of sucks. i called and they said "did you ask them to not deliver today?" and I said no, and they said, "well the new delivery date is Monday, so that's when you can expect it."

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
OK, i tried every controller i could think of and all dont work on the ACMini. You need to use the AC controller, the 6 button MEGADRIVE mini controller from Japan, or the arcade stick. Someone on twitter thought it could work if you used a mayflash adapter: any folks here with one that would like to give it a crack?

Boy, I am loving this controller.

Sure, I got nothing to use it on, but when that Mini comes in, let me tell you...

In all seriousness, the controller is MUCH better than I ever expected it it be. The button layout's a little odd/unintuitive. Apparently, given the little bumps on the B and E button, I'm assuming that's what the designers intended to be the home buttons?

Without the actual system in yet, it's hard to say....

Do we know who did the emulation for this yet? Given all of the arcade boards being emulated, I'm honestly shocked at how well everything seems to perform.

I believe it was actually done by an internal division at Sega! Given that, I was expecting the worst, but all the reviews say it's pretty darn good - which is very encouraging for future Sega projects like this.
I DID see, however, that the scanlines suck, so that's a bit of a downer for me. I almost always play with scanlines on.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that kinda stands out for me is that Virtua Fighter is, I think, actually natively rendered in high resolutions. I don't think any of the existing open-source Model 1 emulators do that.

Mikhal

Oct 28, 2017
I tried to use the Astro City Mini Arcade stick on the Xbox Series X with a Brook Wingman XB adapter and it didn't work in case people were wondering. Sort of expected but was hoping it might work.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
OK, i tried every controller i could think of and all dont work on the ACMini. You need to use the AC controller, the 6 button MEGADRIVE mini controller from Japan, or the arcade stick. Someone on twitter thought it could work if you used a mayflash adapter: any folks here with one that would like to give it a crack?
I tried to use the mayflash with the stick and a Switch and it didn't work. Given that I doubt it would work with a PS4 using existing adapters too. It works fine with the MiSTer though (everything does really) and that is what I primarily plan on using it with.
In all seriousness, the controller is MUCH better than I ever expected it it be. The button layout's a little odd/unintuitive. Apparently, given the little bumps on the B and E button, I'm assuming that's what the designers intended to be the home buttons?
The MD/Genesis 6-button had the bumps too, probably what they were following.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Mini, stick and kit showed up today!

Initial impressions are really good - I do wish there were more video output settings though; some of the games get cut off along the top and bottom of the screen, losing stuff like score and health. Not all games, just some.

So many classic arcade games from my childhood are jammed into this thing - stuff I never thought I'd see again like Shadow Dancer, Alien Syndrome and ESWAT!

Funny enough - one of the first games I checked out was Altered Beast. I was expecting SEGA to use the Genny version like they always do when they bring it home - but nope, it's the legit arcade version with extra animations and scaling effects!

Surprise favorite that I never played before: Scramble Spirits! Great looking shmup that I only remember seeing in a magazine back in the Master System days.

Biggest letdown: ESWAT is much harder and not as fun as I remember. I would cut out of school and play this all day at my local bodega. It hasn't aged as well like some of the others tbh.

All in all - really happy with everything. SEGA really delivered with this thing!

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I tried to use the mayflash with the stick and a Switch and it didn't work. Given that I doubt it would work with a PS4 using existing adapters too. It works fine with the MiSTer though (everything does really) and that is what I primarily plan on using it with.

So Switch controllers wouldn't work on the mini with the adapter? Dang it. Any potential ways of using a mayflash to get any outside controller working on the astro city? Surely something could work

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So Switch controllers wouldn't work on the mini with the adapter? Dang it. Any potential ways of using a mayflash to get any outside controller working on the astro city? Surely something could work
Well no, sorry. I mean the opposite. The Astro City controllers don't work on the Switch with the adapter. The one I have is supposed to take a lot of different formats and make them talk to a Switch. I don't know about the other way around.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Boy, I am loving this controller.

Sure, I got nothing to use it on, but when that Mini comes in, let me tell you...

Without the actual system in yet, it's hard to say....

I believe it was actually done by an internal division at Sega! Given that, I was expecting the worst, but all the reviews say it's pretty darn good - which is very encouraging for future Sega projects like this.
I DID see, however, that the scanlines suck, so that's a bit of a downer for me. I almost always play with scanlines on.
That would explain a lot. Virtua Fighter's emulation in particular feels like it had to have been handled by people specializing in Sega emulation (And we already knew it wasn't M2 this time) considering how good it looks and runs. I wonder if it's the largely the same internal staff that did the Model 2 ports on 360/PS3 or handles stuff like Motor Raid in Judgment on PS4. I want to say I recall there being a part of AM2 being around that specifically handles ports/emulation?

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Biggest letdown: ESWAT is much harder and not as fun as I remember. I would cut out of school and play this all day at my local bodega. It hasn't aged as well and some of the others tbh.
I kinda feel the same. I think the Genesis conversion actually holds up a bit better.

Kinda dig Shadow Dancer arcade more than the Genesis one, though.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
I am loving this. Played around with the arcade stick on MiSTer just to get a feel and then hooked the Mini up to my TV and have been working through the games I'm less familiar with. I can already tell I'm going to end up playing this little guy a lot more than the Neo Geo Mini.

It's such a good experience so far that I'm tempted to order a controller and the stand for the Mini just to complete the set.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda feel the same. I think the Genesis conversion actually holds up a bit better.

Kinda dig Shadow Dancer arcade more than the Genesis one, though.

Yeah - Shadow Dancer still holds up for sure.

I kind of wish this games has DIP Switch settings so we could adjust the difficulty and whatnot. It's been ages since I played the arcade version of ESWAT, but I don't recall it being so hard. One you get the suit, the enemies just now you down constantly. Maybe the arcade I played was set at a lower difficulty - or I just suck now lol.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah - the scanlines are pretty horrendous to be honest. I've only play on my tv, maybe they look better on the tiny screen?

Speaking of scanlines - I tried hooking this up thru my Framemeister to get better scanlines - and it looks great upscaled to 1080p.

But for some reason I can put get the audio to pass through HDMI. So bizarre.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
My stick arrived (DHL wasn't playing!) I briefly attempted to use it with my Switch, but no dice. The overall weight and quality feels awesome. Very comparable to the HSS-0130 and the control panel on my Naomi cab. Very solid. I'm very impressed! Now I just need to find something I can use it on...

For all you lucky enough to have the AC Mini itself, does it happen to have TATE mode for the shmups/vertical games?

Yeah - the scanlines are pretty horrendous to be honest. I've only play on my tv, maybe they look better on the tiny screen?

Speaking of scanlines - I tried hooking this up thru my Framemeister to get better scanlines - and it looks great upscaled to 1080p.

But for some reason I can put get the audio to pass through HDMI. So bizarre.

Hm...It's been a while since I've had a Framemeister - but that is an excellent idea to get those post-processing effects!
Strange that the sound won't work though? Are there any passthrough settings you need to toggle on the FM?

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I normally don't use borders but I'm surprised at how much I don't hate the Astro City themed border. Like as far as general aesthetics and UI go, this is up there with the Genesis and PCE Minis.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I normally don't use borders but I'm surprised at how much I don't hate the Astro City themed border. Like as far as general aesthetics and UI go, this is up there with the Genesis and PCE Minis.
Agreed, the green Astro City themed border is actually kinda nice.

A few of my initial impressions:

-The stick on my AC mini has a small bit of (mushy) travel before it clicks. Fortunately I pretty much play exclusively on the TV with a control pad, so it's not really an issue.

-The scanline option really is terrible. I generally like scanlines, but I definitely won't be using it with this.

-I really like the control pad! The contours on the underside make it comfortable to grip, and the d-pad feels good. The buttons kind of remind me of NES controller buttons.

-Virtua Fighter is alright, but it makes me realize how much I wish they had somehow managed to include the far superior VF2, my favorite of the series.

-Dark Edge is a strange curiosity. Some of the backgrounds are marvelous, and I sorta like watching the matches. But the gameplay sucks. Maybe I just don't get it?

-Thunder Force AC is great, with awesome voice samples and kickin' music (of course).

-Easy access to Revenge of Death Adder, finally! (I've had the arcade board for years, but setting it up is kind of a hassle.)

Looking forward to spending more time with the rest of the games!

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Only the official 6 button pads from the Japanese MD Mini work.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Virtua Fighter: lag? This has some input lag, right? I haven't played on a VF cab in a lonnnng time but its Astro City Mini version seems to have more input lag than anything else on this system, when using the built-in controls. Unsure if that's on brand with the original version. Its 3D emulation is otherwise quite solid, from what I can tell.

Edit: 10-second clip I just recorded here.

Last edited:

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Virtua Fighter: lag? This has some input lag, right? I haven't played on a VF cab in a lonnnng time but its Astro City Mini version seems to have more input lag than anything else on this system, when using the built-in controls. Unsure if that's on brand with the original version. Its 3D emulation is otherwise quite solid, from what I can tell.

Edit: 10-second clip I just recorded here.

Yeah, that checks out IIRC - VF1 always had some input lag - it was never snappy like VF2 and the later games. Not sure if it's 100% accurate with the arcade, but I recall lag was always apart of the original.

I don't remember the backgrounds occasionally skipping when the camera rotates though. But I assume it's something I never noticed as a kid?

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, that checks out IIRC - VF1 always had some input lag - it was never snappy like VF2 and the later games. Not sure if it's 100% accurate with the arcade, but I recall lag was always apart of the original.

I don't remember the backgrounds occasionally skipping when the camera rotates though. But I assume it's something I never noticed as a kid?
I can count one one hand the number of times I've played arcade VF1 prior to yesterday, but I recall that being a thing in the Saturn and 32x ports at the least.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Mine just arrived today. Normally leave cardboard boxes a couple of days before opening them atm, so looking forward to playing on monday.

I ordered my pads via a surrogate service back when you couldn't buy them from amazon so they haven't arrived yet, but luckily I have the JP megadrive classic so will use the pad from that.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
For all you lucky enough to have the AC Mini itself, does it happen to have TATE mode for the shmups/vertical games?

Hm...It's been a while since I've had a Framemeister - but that is an excellent idea to get those post-processing effects!
Strange that the sound won't work though? Are there any passthrough settings you need to toggle on the FM?

No tate mode unfortunately.

Regarding the sound issue with the FM - I havent to mess with the settings in a long time (I've had it set for my Saturn and NeoGeo for 5+ years now), so I could be missing something. Now that I think about it, this is the first time I've used the HDMI input on this thing.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
While watching Retro Core's review I saw input lag on Virtua Fighter and Golden Axe RODA. I tried Virtua Fighter on MAME to see if there's any native input lag and nope, the game should have none.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Ordered this with the goofy little stool and the controller and I reckon I'll never open any of it. I've still barely played the Megadrive Mini! My TurboGrafx is also still unopened. :/

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Got my unit and controller pad yesterday and just unboxed them, can't wait to try them both out. The micro-switched stick feels great, buttons also feel high quality and nice and properly clicky like they would on a full size cab.

553eab035a8c64b7879f3aeb8b87c00a8c6617c0.jpeg

0fbf10977b5d52d0598ed28422a66592d4534e90.jpeg

680d142d2b8b753bcd1e5f0f87d4f24d89b7179b.jpeg

f501233fe26f445f4a8dbc1dccacdc147a3180a2.jpeg

acad1b3e4c302b8a48d05f3eb02edb34a0b31e78.jpeg

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Briefly tried to use the stick on my Xbox One, and it also wasn't recognized. Going to try my PS5 and my Mac later on this weekend.

So no Switch support, no Xbox One.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I had low expectations for the control pad but it's actually really good. Had some fun demolishing a monkey and a cyborg in Stack Columns with it.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I forgot that the game center kit had the marquee...
I was planning on just 3d printing the base and the stool, but the quality wouldn't be great, I think. I think I'm going to make an order tomorrow for the kit and the controller (I was hoping other USB controllers work but I guess only the Genesis mini does so far).
I'm hoping a hack later on might allow other controllers, but I might as well if I'm ordering the kit.
Anyone know where I can find high quality images of JP Marquees? I might print some that aren't even in this collection.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Played Fantasy Zone, Thunder Force AC, Alien Storm and Space Harrier tonight in my first significant play time with the unit and wow, I'm impressed so far. The joystick and buttons are so responsive and the games look great, this is seriously a nice way to play these games. Scanlines on the unit look nice enough too but I can see how they probably won't look very good in TV mode as pointed out in this video:

Anyways, I'm really happy with this purchase so far and this is by far the best official table top arcade unit I've ever seen. Will try to play more games tomorrow when I have more time and also looking forward to trying the gamepad + TV mode.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
are we expecting this to be hackable? Tempted to buy just to have a little cab on my desk. And Quartet is a fond memory when I was younger and a surprise to see on a compilation like this

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
whats the difference between the two seemingly identical versions on amazon? almost the same price, look the same - one just looks exclusive to amazon and the other isn't.

Madden

Nov 21, 2017
whats the difference between the two seemingly identical versions on amazon? almost the same price, look the same - one just looks exclusive to amazon and the other isn't.

The one exclusive to Amazon lets you also download some wallpapers you can use on your phone or whatever.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
so this product is only in japanese for now?any news about a worldwide release maybe?