• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
It's hard to believe, but 20 years ago today, Sega announced & revealed the Dreamcast in Japan at the New Challenge Conference.

Behold!

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9805/21/sega_dreamcast/

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sega unveils new Dreamcast game console
By CNN Interactive Producer Dave Ragals

May 21, 1998

(CNN) -- Sega, which recently pulled its Saturn 32-bit game console off store shelves in North America, today announced details of its next generation console, which it vows will become the number one game platform, with more than 50 percent of the console game market in the near future.

The machine, called Dreamcast, will feature a 128-bit processor, compared to the the 64-bit Nintendo 64 and the 32-bit Sony PlayStation, the current market-leader. It'll be able to create more than 3 million polygons per second with 64 channels of sound.

It will also come with built-in network capabilities for multi-player gaming.

"Dreamcast will combine all the best features of console, PC and Internet gaming," Bernard Stolar, president and CEO of Sega of America, said today at a press conference.

In addition to improving performance, Dreamcast will include several new features -- like a removable memory card that doubles as the world's smallest portable game. When plugged into a Dreamcast controller, the Visual Memory System will let gamers secretly set up plays in sports titles or plan secret attacks in role-playing games, or it can be used as a stand-alone game machine about the size of a business card.

"We had two design goals in creating Dreamcast -- to create a seamless integration of high-performance components and to develop a flexible architecture that can take advantage of future technical developments and new entertainment concepts," said Stolar.

Dreamcast is the result of partnerships with Microsoft, which is providing a customized version of its Windows CE operating software, and several hardware makers. It will run on an adapted version of Hitachi's SH4 RISC chip, an NEC graphics engine and a Yamaha real-time 3D audio chip.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://news.microsoft.com/1998/05/...reamcast-the-ultimate-home-video-game-system/

Microsoft, Sega Collaborate on Dreamcast: The Ultimate Home Video Game System
May 21, 1998 |

Microsoft, Sega Collaborate on Dreamcast: The Ultimate Home Video Game System

REDMOND, Wash., May 21, 1998 — Microsoft Corp. today announced it will collaborate with Sega Enterprises Ltd. on Sega's new Dreamcast home video game system, slated for release in Japan on Nov. 20, 1998, and in the rest of the world in 1999. As a result of the collaboration, Microsoft will provide an optimized version of the Microsoft® Windows® CE operating system with integrated DirectX® services as the operating system for use with Dreamcast.

The Microsoft and Sega collaboration marks a leap forward in game console technology. Dreamcast will include advanced hardware technology in 3-D graphics, sound and input devices, as well as an on-board modem to support Internet access and network gaming. The inclusion of Windows CE with DirectX provides a flexible, versatile development environment, supported by Microsoft development tools, that eases title development and makes possible true cross-platform title compatibility with Windows-based PCs. The result is a powerful platform that enables creative and technical advances in video games to reach entirely new levels.

"We have worked very closely with Sega for nearly two years to optimize Windows CE to provide the services and level of performance necessary for the exacting development requirements of video games,"
said Harel Kodesh, general manager, consumer appliances group at Microsoft.
"We are tremendously excited by the opportunities the Dreamcast system offers to traditional video game developers and the PC gaming community."

"Sega is excited to announce that Dreamcast is the first home entertainment system to be designed for use with Windows CE," said Shoichiro Irimajiri, president of Sega Enterprises Ltd.
"We are confident that our collaboration with Microsoft will create an unequalled environment for developers that will lead to the greatest selection of high-quality game titles ever seen on a home video game system."

3D0eknS.jpg

HeAyt5Z.jpg

8zbTXlO.jpg

Uyuoev1.jpg

kFtyExH.jpg

5zrX2w4.jpg

9JV92Hk.jpg

tVrDHbs.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
It still is my favorite console of all time. It feels like yesterday being blown away by the graphics and playing my favorite game ever: Shenmue.

Dreamcast <3

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
The Babylon demo still looks really neat to this day. It's incredible to track how the system and its games developed over time; the graphical difference between its earliest releases and its last big ones comes to mind. I got mine back in 2001 when I was just 6, and the dang thing still runs to this day. Dreamcast (and its arcade counterpart Naomi (2)) became the last big bastion for SEGA's brand of arcade-style games all in one place, with tons of creative exclusives and the first definitive polygonal console games to hold up well at release.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I remember seeing a demo unit at Toys R Us (damn, this double hurts) and my mom literally not realizing NFL2K was just a video game.

Dreamcast is the best video game console name ever, and it also has the best logo ever (followed very closely by the 3D N64 logo).

Dat boot-up sound, too.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The Babylon demo still looks really neat to this day. It's incredible to track how the system and its games developed over time; the graphical difference between its earliest releases and its last big ones comes to mind. I got mine back in 2001 when I was just 6, and the dang thing still runs to this day. Dreamcast (and its arcade counterpart Naomi (2)) became the last big bastion for SEGA's brand of arcade-style games all in one place, with tons of creative exclusives and the first definitive polygonal console games to hold up well at release.

The Dreamcast DevKit Tower of Babel demo was fixed by a skilled individual to run on emulators. The small frame glitches in the video are emulators artefacts. This video is thus the best quality available for this demo.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Incredibly exciting times. I remember buying every game magazine that mentioned it for months .

Peak hype.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Segata Sanshiro sacrifice was not in vain dammit

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Incredible console. Dual analog would have been great though.

So ahead of it's time and I wish the deal with Microsoft to get Dreamcast games on OG Xbox went through. Xbox always felt like the natural evolution of Sega consoles to me.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Will always be one of my favorite systems. The games were so creative and diverse. Coming from awesome PS1 games. The Dreamcast took it to a level.

Powerstone for life.

Incredible console. Dual analog would have been great though.

So ahead of it's time and I wish the deal with Microsoft to get Dreamcast games on OG Xbox went through. Xbox always felt like the natural evolution of Sega consoles to me.

You're absolutely correct. Secret tip guys.

OG Xbox is Dreamcast 2

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Dreamcast announcement was shortly after Panzer Dragoon Saga came out in English and just before Burning Rangers did. It felt like a lot going on at the time as a Sega fan.

Sega left the console hardware business on a high note with an excellent system (Atari and NEC didn't).

And RIP Kenji Eno.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Still a top 5 console for me.

Games like Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure and (strangely enough) Quake III Arena changed how I view and play games.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
The memories.

IT'S THINKING.

A year later and it was my most anticipated console ever, as I was both a huga Sega fan and had seen early Shenmue stuff.

Plus, the day it released in the states - 9.9.99 - was my 14th birthday!

Oct 28, 2017
My second favorite console of all time.
The first time I saw footage on gamespot tv and then playing a demo at a kiosk in Best Buy in 1999 several months before it released was so amazing. I was 17 when it came out. It's a console that's very near and dear to my heart.

9.9.99 is etched into my brain forever.

8f4795f38fcb1a701d26f26090a06e22.jpg

origins-the-history-of-egm-20090130031959319.jpg

61ds158jPyL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

20090427092720%21%D0%A1%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%88%D0%BE%D1%82_%D0%B8%D0%B7_%D0%B8%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B_Sonic_Adventure.png

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
First console I pre-ordered and bought on launch day (U.S.), with Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur.

After it officially "died", it still lived on as a Divx movie player

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Will always be one of my favorite systems. The games were so creative and diverse. Coming from awesome PS1 games. The Dreamcast took it to a level.

Powerstone for life.

You're absolutely correct. Secret tip guys.

OG Xbox is Dreamcast 2

Between the controller being almost identical baring dual analog, the memory card going in the controller, the focus on online play, the quirky Sega titles, it just felt like Microsoft was picking up Sega's baton and running with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
I remember back in the day when i worked at a video store, we bought this with mortal kombat gold, sonic adventure 2, virtual fighter and a few other games, and the n64 games and play station games were still flying off the shelf, but we couldn't get these to rent out.

But then i took it home and had such a blast....

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jump between Saturn-PSX-N64 to Dreamcast was indeed a incredible experience. Biggest in the industry.

Sonic Adventure gets a lot of shit today but back then it was mindblowing

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of articles and book chapters have used the title, but "Death of a Dream" is just so evocative every time :(

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
And yet I've never owned one. Its been one of those things I've always wanted to own but something (be it petty or serious) always prevented me from buying one.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The memories.

IT'S THINKING.

A year later and it was my most anticipated console ever, as I was both a huga Sega fan and had seen early Shenmue stuff.

Plus, the day it released in the states - 9.9.99 - was my 14th birthday!

Always liked the "Apocalypse" launch trailer from the US, with the evil PlayStation lady trying to steal the system and getting thwarted by the AI.

Was like a mini movie.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
God, I loved the Dreamcast. I'd started playing mine again recently, after giving up on a Skies of Arcadia HD release I'd started playing again to see if it held up after all these years to be even worth a HD release.

It does. It so does. A little bare without all of the bounties and moonfish from the GC re-release, but it's still great.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Always bummed a system that seemed to be created purely for NiGHTS never received a game. The controller was post-3D pad and the system evoked the premise of the game.

WTF Sega?

Still enjoying online gaming on my Dreamcast almost every evening!
The PSO bus still rollin?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I have great memories of the Dreamcast. Too many games to list them all.

Maybe MS will announce Dreamcast BC at E3.

NekkidBurrito

Oct 29, 2017
I remember being so hyped for it. That was my Christmas gift in 1999. A dreamcast with NFL 2k, NBA 2k, and Soul Calibur.

Zip Stick

Oct 30, 2017
My favourite console. Such a beautiful looking little box. I have two of them at home, one modded with a vga connection built in.

So many good games but Samba De Amigo is my top choice.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
So today is one of the most special days in my life and I didn't even realize it.

Happy Dreamcast anniversary, everyone. Best damn console I've ever had (and no, it's not first system nostalgia. I started with the NES and had a Super Nintendo, Playstation and gaming PC before a Dreamcast) and I miss its glory days dearly.

I installed the BetterSADX mod for Sonic Adventure on Steam, which among other things remakes the Dreamcast branding and UI in HD and reintroduces the Dreamcast assets, character models and lighting system, so you can play the Dreamcast version of SA while allowing true widescreen, 4k and 60fps. I guess I'll celebrate by playing this and PSO2 all day!

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny now, but when the first demos and games were shown I remember thinking that Sega reached top graphics level. Like, graphics could never become better than that.