• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017

Football is a game of opinions. From team selection to transfers and tactics, everyone has their own ideas on how to get results on the pitch. Sports Interactive™ and SEGA® are giving would-be managers the chance to prove that their opinion means more than most when Football Manager 2020 releases in early November.

FM20 will give players the chance to call the shots at their favourite club as they take control of their team's destiny and make all the decisions that a real manager does as they develop their team and attempt to deliver a sustained level of success.

But even though we aren't talking about new game features today, we do have other things to talk about which you can see below.

Football Manager 2020 is the follow up to the record-breaking Football Manager 2019, which is the fastest selling, best-selling, and most played version of the series to date across all of its release platforms. Nine months after its release, more than 60% of the people who have bought the PC/Mac game in its lifetime are still playing it each month.

This year also marks the first time in the long-running series' history that Football Manager will be available as a launch title on a new platform as Football Manager 2020 is set to make its debut on Google's Stadia and will be the fastest way to experience Football Manager.

Miles Jacobson, Studio Director of Sports Interactive, says "Football Manager on Stadia includes technology that is only available on that platform, utilising the power of the cloud and Google's data centres to ensure that more matches can be processed in parallel utilising spare bandwidth across the whole system – this means you can have more leagues loaded into your save, or just go for a faster experience by keeping the amount of leagues the same, but having the matches process quicker than you can on any other platform."

From today until launch, fans who pre-purchase Football Manager 2020 (for PC and Mac), from a SEGA approved digital retailer* (or pre-order from a participating physical retailer) will receive a 10% discount. Additionally, those who pre-purchase through a SEGA approved digital retailer will be able to get their managerial careers underway early through a fully-playable Beta version, which will be available roughly two weeks prior to the official street date (single player careers started in the Beta can be carried across to the full game). The pre-release Beta will not be available on Stadia.

Football Manager 2020 (for PC, Mac and Stadia), Football Manager 2020 Touch (for PC, Mac, iOS and Android) and Football Manager 2020 Mobile (for iOS and Android) will all be released simultaneously in early November (exact date TBC). Football Manager 2020 Touch for Nintendo Switch will follow in late November.

*Pre-release Beta is available from SEGA approved digital retailers only; please check here for an exhaustive list of digital retailers and more details as to what constitutes a SEGA approved retailer.

About Football Manager

Football Manager is the most realistic, in-depth and immersive football management simulation in the world. Putting you in the hot seat of any club in more than 50 countries across the world, Football Manager allows you to take on the role of a real-life manager: you decide who plays and who sits on the bench, and you're in total control of tactics, team talks, substitutions and pitch-side instructions as you follow the match live with the acclaimed 3D match engine.

In recent years Football Manager has become an integral part of football culture. The game's hugely loyal fanbase includes celebrities and footballers, and it has inspired books and comedy shows. There is even a full-length film, An Alternative Reality: The Football Manager Documentary (available on iTunes, Google Play and Steam) that highlights the game's enduring appeal and influence within the professional game.

Further information is available at www.footballmanager.com.

Nice to see Sega and Sports Interactive indeed bring FM2020 Touch to Switch. I would've thought this would've been announced earlier, as FM2020 was revealed first as a Stadia game IIRC a few months back.

Wonder what enhancements they'll bring this time on Switch. They refined the game a bit in FM2019 Touch, so hopefully they "perfect" it here. Better than what EA's doing at least. :P

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
According to Sega, the Stadia version will be the fastest of any of the platforms (even PC). Details from Ars Technica:

Since Stadia's public unveiling, one of Google's main selling points for the platform is that the power of its cloud infrastructure can provide high-definition, high-frame-rate visuals even on low-end client hardware (though Internet latency is still a worry, of course). Now, the makers of at least one Stadia launch game are claiming that the Stadia version will actually play better than versions running on local hardware as well.

These simulations have only gotten more complex as the series has evolved over the years, to the point where even running a single team through an entire simulated season can take hours or days (depending on your level of micromanaging). It's not hard to find complaints about that simulation speed online, often alongside configuration tips for speeding things up even on a low-end laptop ("Go on holiday" seems like a favorite piece of not-that-helpful advice for enduring the wait).

Enter Stadia, which a press release from publisher Sega says "will be the fastest way to experience Football Manager." Sports Interactive Studio Director Miles Jacobson goes on in that release to say, "Football Manager on Stadia includes technology that is only available on that platform, utilizing the power of the cloud and Google's data centres to ensure that more matches can be processed in parallel utilizing spare bandwidth across the whole system. This means you can have more leagues loaded into your save, or just go for a faster experience by keeping the amount of leagues the same, but having the matches process quicker than you can on any other platform."

Google has tried to stress this kind of Stadia advantage a bit in the past. Back in April, Google's Phil Harrison told a GamesBeat audience that the company's cloud data centers could enable things like "distributed physics" and "complex multiplayer going from hundreds to tens of thousands in a very sophisticated world... With cloud gaming, particularly the idea of compute being sharable across multiple CPUs in a data center, now this transition to gaming being data-centric is going to be a really fundamental shift."

Football Manager is one of the first concrete examples of a developer claiming that kind of cloud-distributed multi-CPU system offers a better gameplay experience than locally run versions of the same game, though. It also might be something of a unique case, since Football Manager's behind-the-scenes simulations are already designed to run as fast as the underlying hardware will let them. Since those simulations are largely independent from the need to render characters or visuals at a set frame rate, Football Manager is well positioned to take advantage of Stadia's massively parallel computing resources.

More at the link.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So around same time as last year.

It's nice they bring it out Release Month on Switch.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Nice to see Sega and Sports Interactive indeed bring FM2020 Touch to Switch. I would've thought this would've been announced earlier, as FM2020 was revealed first as a Stadia game IIRC a few months back.

Wonder what enhancements they'll bring this time on Switch. They refined the game a bit in FM2019 Touch, so hopefully they "perfect" it here. Better than what EA's doing at least. :P

I'm pleasantly surprised we got a Switch version, this year, to be honest. Miles suggested that FM2019 Touch under-performed, so this may be a 'last chance'.

I personally skipped FM2019 Touch after getting (and hugely enjoying) FM2018 Touch, and it seemed like there wasn't a big enough jump between the two to justify the purchase. I'll likely be picking up FM2020 Touch, but hoping there'll another discount for owners of one of the previous games to take the sting off the likely £29.99 price tag.

skysthelimit

Jan 16, 2019
I'm most likely in for the Switch version. Wanted it last season but couldn't justify the cost. But with Norwich now in the premier league and (I assume) the brilliance of Buendia realised, well its a no brainer.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised we got a Switch version, this year, to be honest. Miles suggested that FM2019 Touch under-performed, so this may be a 'last chance'.

I personally skipped FM2019 Touch after getting (and hugely enjoying) FM2018 Touch, and it seemed like there wasn't a big enough jump between the two to justify the purchase. I'll likely be picking up FM2020 Touch, but hoping there'll another discount for owners of one of the previous games to take the sting off the likely £29.99 price tag.

Well it didn't help FM18 Switch came out in April 2018 and FM19 came out November 2018.

This is given a Full Year so the Hunger might be there.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
how does the touch version compare between pc (mouse control?), iOS (touch), and switch (touch and/or controller support?) - are any stand out in the way they control or is it more about what is convenient for you?

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Even if it's much quicker than my PC I'd never pick the Stadia version if it means mean no editor files, graphics packs or skins.

As for the Switch version, I'll probably pick that up if they've finally got cross-save working.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have to assume the Switch version is not actually that expensive to continue to develop.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
I have to assume the Switch version is not actually that expensive to continue to develop.

Good question. I think it would be more a question of resources dedicated for post development upkeep (bug squashing and so on). At that point it becomes how much time and how many people they can keep aside for a format which may have a lower audience than the others. These games are painfully labour intensive on that front.

As it stands, the Switch version is doing as well / better than any previous console Football Manager, so it's a success in my eyes - and frankly, having a portable machine which can play it on top of all of my other favourites is wonderful. Back in 2001 I used to covert small laptops just to be able to play FM in bed...! I'm pretty much in heaven.

(And I just want to have, for the first time in years, a Football Manager where Villa has a decent squad in the Premier League...)

Sep 28, 2018
I feel like the comments about Stadia version being the fastest was the bigger and more thread title worthy news here.

I believe the Stadia will have its advantages, equally with the kind of games where there is a lot of complex data processes going on behind the scenes. I wonder if games like Total War would also benefit from Stadia.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good question. I think it would be more a question of resources dedicated for post development upkeep (bug squashing and so on). At that point it becomes how much time and how many people they can keep aside for a format which may have a lower audience than the others. These games are painfully labour intensive on that front.

As it stands, the Switch version is doing as well / better than any previous console Football Manager, so it's a success in my eyes - and frankly, having a portable machine which can play it on top of all of my other favourites is wonderful. Back in 2001 I used to covert small laptops just to be able to play FM in bed...! I'm pretty much in heaven.

(And I just want to have, for the first time in years, a Football Manager where Villa has a decent squad in the Premier League...)
Oh definitely, having a game like that on a convenient portable is definitely a blessing. I can only hope that, commercial underperformance notwithstanding, the game is doing well enough for Sega to continue pushing it out on the Switch going forward.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Oh definitely, having a game like that on a convenient portable is definitely a blessing. I can only hope that, commercial underperformance notwithstanding, the game is doing well enough for Sega to continue pushing it out on the Switch going forward.

Yeah, me too. It's in such a unique space in the console market that it would be a huge shame to lose it.