• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Seriously, at this point, we all know Sega isn't going to touch this IP. Might as well give it to Namco Bandai so they can at least give these characters the respect they deserve.

Namco could keep it a separate individual IP (but we saw how that worked out) or fully integrate them in Tekken or even a Cross game.

Now I know most of you will say Koei Tecmo is a better fit due to the characters appearing in the games already or the button schemes, but the DOA franchise isn't as popular from my perspective and the characters would be a misfit due to the theme of the games.

Anyway, what do people think?

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, if you want a VF game that plays nothing like VF, I guess.

I'd sooner have a reboot of Fighting Vipers though.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Or, just let it stay dead. Every game doesn't need to be dragged on into perpetuity.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If you're going to touch Virtua Fighter then it needs to be its own game and not something in Tekken, because then it wouldn't be Virtua Fighter at that point.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Wouldn't Team Ninja be a better fit?

Edit: The VF crew play really well in the DOA engine, and DOA was based on VF to begin with.

Last edited:

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I think I'd still rather it lay dormant. If Sega can revive Panzer Dragoon of all things I can hold out for proper Virtua Fighter a while longer.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Or how about they don't because as Mesoian said it probably wouldn't play or feel like VF anymore and what's the point then.

Let VF be a dormant ip until Sega wants to make a new one. Sucks but I rather wait than have someone else make a VF game that isn't really VF anymore.

Really hope the VF characters return to DoA6 down the line as they translated really well into DoA.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
If you're going to wish for things that are never going to happen, why don't you just wish for Sega to make a new Virtua Fighter instead?

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I get the frustration of not getting any new VF content for so many years but :
tenor.gif

At least Akira got an assist trophy in Smash, that's something I guess.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
but then I'd have to dial in combos like a phone number rather than flow elegantly.

You know, I've played both, and this whole bullshit about dial a combos is literally for noobs and is a reflection of the player. The technicalities in VF is great but the float"iness" of VF is not to my tastes, but let's not put down Tekken like that dude up there's who's talking about "jiggly movements" when they don't understand high level play. With the inclusion of 2D juggernauts like Geese and Akuma as an example, I have renewed faith in Bamco to do something.

It is the best 3D franchise for a reason played by millions at this point in time. VF is definitely more technical and harder to play, but with the introduction of Jean who plays like a mix of Jin and Paul, they were looking to make it more accessible, he has better animations than a lot of the cast which feel janky in comparison, like some of Kazuya's moves in Tekken.

Some of you are funny because well... FGC which I'm used to, but another person up there understands that there is a frustration to want a technical fighter or just VF because it is a great franchise. I'm sure everyone's feelings are withing merits because I asked for your opinions but please don't be condescending. Looks like most of you didn't even read the second line of the topic, there were options.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't Team Ninja be a better fit?

Edit: The VF crew play really well in the DOA engine, and DOA was based on VF to begin with.
This. Tekken and Virtua Fighter play nothing alike.

And since OP is nitpicking popularity, the visibility its cast had as guests in DoA5 was still an upgrade compared to the amount of attention VF got on its own. Realistically though, pretty sure Sega will just leave it dead rather than sell it.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
This. Tekken and Virtua Fighter play nothing alike.

And since OP is nitpicking popularity, the visibility its cast had as guests in DoA5 was still an upgrade compared to the amount of attention VF got on its own. Realistically though, pretty sure Sega will just leave it dead rather than sell it.

Do SF and Tekken play anything alike? I see the best version of Akuma in a game to date in a Tekken game. DOA isn't as popular as Tekken, it's about visibility in a business or franchise. Don't mind me, I love DOA too and the VF cast has already transferred over well. Just a thought.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
You know, I've played both, and this whole bullshit about dial a combos is literally for noobs and is a reflection of the player. The technicalities in VF is great but the float"iness" of VF is not to my tastes, but let's not put down Tekken like that dude up there's who's talking about "jiggly movements" when they don't understand high level play. With the inclusion of 2D juggernauts like Geese and Akuma as an example, I have renewed faith in Bamco to do something.

It is the best 3D franchise for a reason played by millions at this point in time. VF is definitely more technical and harder to play, but with the introduction of Jean who plays like a mix of Jin and Paul, they were looking to make it more accessible, he has better animations than a lot of the cast which feel janky in comparison, like some of Kazuya's moves in Tekken.

Some of you are funny because well... FGC which I'm used to, but another person up there understands that there is a frustration to want a technical fighter or just VF because it is a great franchise. I'm sure everyone's feelings are withing merits because I asked for your opinions but please don't be condescending. Looks like most of you didn't even read the second line of the topic, there were options.

oh, I was mostly just having a laugh because I've heard the "dialing" thing about Tekken before. I apologize.

I'm FAR from a high level player at either game, but Tekken has, in a lot of ways, felt more "technical" to me believe it or not.

When I play a VF game I can beat most of my friends quite easily because I'm good at timing. Even single attacks or dodges, not necessarily about setting up combos like in most fighting games, and that's why it has always appealed to me more.

I guess there's a simplicity in its movements and "technical" aspects that I don't feel are in any other game.

And so, if I'm being honest, yeah. I'd worry about how that would translate if someone else was making a new game in the series.

I'm not against it in theory, though!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Do SF and Tekken play anything alike? I see the best version of Akuma in a game to date in a Tekken game. DOA isn't as popular as Tekken, it's about visibility in a business or franchise. Don't mind me, I love DOA too and the VF cast has already transferred over well. Just a thought.
You're comparing the necessity of converting a 2D character into a 3D fighter to 3D transferred to 3D, where the character was obviously going to play differently. Can't say I know or care enough about Akuma specifically to gauge how well they did with him in T7. You're far more likely to get complaints about differences in how a character from one fighter of the same sub-genre plays compared to the one they came from, understandably so. Yeah, Tekken is the most popular 3D fighter, I never said otherwise. Either way, fighters still aren't exactly the most lucrative business in the first place, and you seem to be hoping for more for VF than what's meant to be.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Okay this is getting ridiculous.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Yes. I'd take a VF game that differs from previous games over not having any VF game.

Oct 26, 2017
Recently, Katsuhiro Harada mentioned in a Twitch chat that even if Bandai Namco acquired the Virtua Fighter IP and made a new one, as soon as fans of VF would see that "Bandai Namco" logo, they wouldn't accept it.

He's right. There's no other studio or developer that I trust to do Virtua Fighter other than Sega-AM2.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Okay this is getting ridiculous.

Can you please state what you want instead of doing stupid drive by's in the thread? I played SF from II all the way down to every single one I could get my hands on. Besides SFIII:3RD Strike, this is the best Akuma to date.

oh, I was mostly just having a laugh because I've heard the "dialing" thing about Tekken before. I apologize.

I'm FAR from a high level player at either game, but Tekken has, in a lot of ways, felt more "technical" to me believe it or not.

When I play a VF game I can beat most of my friends quite easily because I'm good at timing. Even single attacks or dodges, not necessarily about setting up combos like in most fighting games, and that's why it has always appealed to me more.

I guess there's a simplicity in its movements and "technical" aspects that I don't feel are in any other game.

And so, if I'm being honest, yeah. I'd worry about how that would translate if someone else was making a new game in the series.

I'm not against it in theory, though!

Thank you for stating your reasoning. There are purists who hate juggles btw, but then it would take away the essence from both games since both of them have it (VF being technically less so) but it has weird hitboxes for characters. I understand your sentiments. I agree though that Tekken has gotten waaaaaay too reliant on juggles hence the King player this Evo (Lil Majin) was such a breath of fresh air.

You're comparing the necessity of converting a 2D character into a 3D fighter to 3D transferred to 3D, where the character was obviously going to play differently. Can't say I know or care enough about Akuma specifically to gauge how well they did with him in T7. You're far more likely to get complaints about differences in how a character from one fighter of the same sub-genre plays compared to the one they came from, understandably so. Yeah, Tekken is the most popular 3D fighter, I never said otherwise. Either way, fighters still aren't exactly the most lucrative business in the first place, and you seem to be hoping for more for VF than what's meant to be.

Sound argument, but again it's subjective and I understand your reasoning. I'm but one person who dabs his grubby toes in all fighters but there should be a consensus over the best Akuma over my opinion alone as an example to see how amazing the transition was to 3D.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That'd be one of the worst fates for VF, please never do that.
Keep it the furthest away from Harada and similar.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
VF is in Yakuza
DoA
Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax
Project X Zone

Kinda weird to say "at this point Sega isn't going to touch this IP".
And Banmco almost didn't want to make another SoulCalibur, dunno why you think they would be willing to make VF alongside Tekken, or how that would sell any more than Sega VF. 3D fighters were never that much of a fertile genre.

Can you please state what you want instead of doing stupid drive by's in the thread? I played SF from II all the way down to every single one I could get my hands on. Besides SFIII:3RD Strike, this is the best Akuma to date.
Best in... what sense?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Virtua Fighter gets yearly cameos all over and is still constantly referenced. They clearly want to make Virtua Fighter 6, it is just a hard game to make correctly, especially in today's eSports and streaming world. The timing is also really bad at the moment considering how much Soul Calibur VI is struggling.

Think about it. VF was already seen as visually uninteresting to casual players and I can assure you concepts like meters or comeback mechanics would be universally panned by the fans. How do you make something like this appealing to hundreds of thousands of spectators?

It will happen. Waiting sure sucks and Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown getting new ports sure would help, but the franchise will continue. Now something like Fighting Vipers? That is likely never returning.

MetsFanAtShea

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Personal attacks against another member
Seriously, at this point, we all know Sega isn't going to touch this IP. Might as well give it to Namco Bandai so they can at least give these characters the respect they deserve.

Namco could keep it a separate individual IP (but we saw how that worked out) or fully integrate them in Tekken or even a Cross game.

Now I know most of you will say Koei Tecmo is a better fit due to the characters appearing in the games already or the button schemes, but the DOA franchise isn't as popular from my perspective and the characters would be a misfit due to the theme of the games.

Anyway, what do people think?
One of the worst ideas I've ever read.
Congrats to you on such a lame post and welcome to my ignore list.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Only someone who never played Virtua Fighter or has no respect for the series would want the Tekken people involved. Those games are such different beasts that the concept of mixing them just to get more sequels is like someone going "man, I wish there were more Picasso pieces in the world, if only his estate would sell the rights to the name to Andy Warhol!"

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Harada himself said around the TWT finals that it would be the dumbest idea ever since even if he managed to get the IP from SEGA and the team that made the original games, fans would hate it the second that the Bandai Namco logo appeared on the screen

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Harada himself said around the TWT finals that it would be the dumbest idea ever since even if he managed to get the IP from SEGA and the team that made the original games, fans would hate it the second that the Bandai Namco logo appeared on the screen

Sorta like how Ninja theory made DMC but it was still a decent game? People will hate on anything these days, Harada isn't wrong. So the factor to hate on a game now is illogical because another team made the game and assumes they'd do a shit job before they even made it?

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
And I'm one of those fans. I wouldn't touch that game with a ten foot pole. I'd rather the IP die then see Bandai Namco buy it and try to do something with it. Matter of fact I wouldn't want to see any other company touch it other than Sega AM2. Team Ninja did a horrible job with the VF characters in DOA5, especially my beloved Pai.

Sorta like how Ninja theory made DMC but it was still a decent game? People will hate on anything these days, Harada isn't wrong. So the factor to hate on a game now is illogical because another team made the game and assumes they'd do a shit job before they even made it?
That's subjective. IMO the game was horrible.